Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With (41556 Views)

Dangers Associated With Suya - Must Read!! / Which Tribe Has The Best Food In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by MissyB3(f): 10:53pm On Jul 01, 2012
This is the Food section where insolence is not condoned, If you will not comply with the rules, you'll be thrown outta the section.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by azpekuliar: 6:23am On Jul 02, 2012
Onasa22: Banga soup and starch - Urhobo

and Isoko. Why leave us out?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by azpekuliar: 6:36am On Jul 02, 2012
Lagusta: Edikang-ikong: efik/ibibio

Ekpankukwo - Efik/Ibibio.

Painstaking in preparation, but so delicious. Ever since I left Akwa-Ibom in '96, for the east and south-west, this meal has never touched my mouth again. Even all the Calabar kitchen wey I don enta, no one get liver to prepare am.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by codeworks(m): 6:51am On Jul 02, 2012
is obvious igbo food widely prepare in different part of Nigeria. congrats igbo people
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by rhymz(m): 6:53am On Jul 02, 2012
azpekuliar:

Ekpankukwo - Efik/Ibibio.

Painstaking in preparation, but so delicious. Ever since I left Akwa-Ibom in '96, for the east and south-west, this meal has never touched my mouth again. Even all the Calabar kitchen wey I don enta, no one get liver to prepare am.
funny enough, I got to know and eat Ekpankukwo through my camerounian landlady in Lagos, she said it was a camerounian dish. . I com surprise later on to hear say Calabar ppl dey eat as well.
Mehn, who has tasted anambra's Ofe nsala here before, I heard the soup is so delicious o. . By the way, is it thesame thing as calabar's people white soup?
But bone o, easterners get many sweet delicacies o. . Ofe owerri and ofe ora does anyone here know the difference.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by codeworks(m): 6:54am On Jul 02, 2012
i remembered when i was serving in plateau state as NYSC, the wife of principal of school where i served had to cook igbo food because am from eastern part of nigeria.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aryzgreat: 7:46am On Jul 02, 2012
fio fio-igbo
akpu and bitter leaf-igbo
ogbona and nri oka - igbo
egwusi and nri ji - igbo
okro and agidi - igbo
oha - igbo
isi ewu - igbo
abacha ncha - igbo
okpa - igbo
ngwongwo - igbo
ofe nsala - igbo
ofe akwu - igbo
ede agworgwo - igbo
ji agworagwo - igbo
akidi - igbo
unene - igbo
afufa na ose oji - igbo
ji oko - igbo
akara na akamu - igbo
agwa - igbo
osikapa okpei (abakaliki rice) - igbo
anu mkpo na nkwu enu - igbo
mbugu (prepared with ji abana) - igbo
egede (plantain moi moi) - igbo
ukpaka or ugba - igbo
ofe ugu - igbo
ofe okazi- igbo
ofe owerri - igbo
ofe achara - igbo

mehn food dey o! grin

5 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by freecocoa(f): 9:49am On Jul 02, 2012
Ola one: Just to correct Freecocoa and others, Moin Moin is a YORUBA dish. It's neither universal nor general. It's 100% Yoruba.

Moin Moin is the 'Lagos' spelling. It is actually spelt Moyin Moyin - a Yoruba word that means 'a delicacy that sticks to your teeth.'

That's it!
I really don't care about claiming the food comes from wherever,all i know is that i eat it and nothing's gonna change that.

Btw,since when did moi moi start sticking to the teeth?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Yeske2(m): 9:55am On Jul 02, 2012
acidtalk: *Amala - Ibadan
*Wara - Kwara
*Banaga Soup - Delta/Edo
*Pounded Yam - Edo / Ekiti
Ikokore - Ondo
*Affang - Rivers
*Edikiankho - Cross Rivers
*Lafun - Egba
*Tuwo shinkafa - Hausas
*Ogbono - Ibo / Edo
*Egusi - Delta / Edo / Yoruba / Ibos
*Abasha / Ugba / white Soup - Ibos
*Ewedu / Gbegiri - Yorubas
*Shepe / Opa eyin - Miscreants across Nigeria
*Zobo rodo - Hausa
*Igbo aka ganja aka monkey tail - Nigerian Clueless Youths
*Gulder/Star/ Guiness - Frustrated Nigerian Men
Are you for real with the last two examples?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by AndreUweh(m): 10:12am On Jul 02, 2012
Ji Awi--Igbo.
Agworo-agwo ede-cocoyam mixed with vegetables (Igbo).
Nri Ede--Pounded cocoyam--Igbo.
Ahuru ahu ji--roasted yam-Igbo.
Uthazhi stew-Igbo (mostly Okigwe zone).
Imeguru, Ikpuru (shrubs found in the farm fields of Okigwe zone-Igbo.
Ede akwa, Ede Wokoroko-Gigantic cocoyam cultivated in Okigwe zone. It is eating mostly during palm oil productions and sites-Okigwe zone Igbo.
Nkpurusu-baked Eguisi-mostly eaten in Etiti areas of Imo state (Igbo).
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 02, 2012
aryzgreat: fio fio-igbo
akpu and bitter leaf-igbo
ogbona and nri oka - igbo
egwusi and nri ji - igbo
okro and agidi - igbo
oha - igbo
isi ewu - igbo
abacha ncha - igbo
okpa - igbo
ngwongwo - igbo
ofe nsala - igbo
ofe akwu - igbo
ede agworgwo - igbo
ji agworagwo - igbo
akidi - igbo
unene - igbo
afufa na ose oji - igbo
ji oko - igbo
akara na akamu - igbo
agwa - igbo
osikapa okpei (abakaliki rice) - igbo
anu mkpo na nkwu enu - igbo
mbugu (prepared with ji abana) - igbo
egede (plantain moi moi) - igbo
ukpaka or ugba - igbo
ofe ugu - igbo
ofe okazi- igbo
ofe owerri - igbo
ofe achara - igbo

mehn food dey o! grin

NO WONDER IGBOS ALWAYS LOOK FRESH, SO MUCH TO EAT, I wish Am IGBO tongue

3 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by PrettyCindy(f): 10:28am On Jul 02, 2012
Ofe ujuju- Ika (Delta)
Ukpo ogede- Ika (Delta)
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by etchel(m): 10:29am On Jul 02, 2012
Wow what meals on wheels can do.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Jul 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: Ofe ujuju- Ika (Delta)
Ukpo ogede- Ika (Delta)
Will it hurt you to just write "Igbo" or "Ika Igbo"?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by AndreUweh(m): 10:43am On Jul 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: Ofe ujuju- IkaIGBO (Delta)
Ukpo ogede- IkaIgbo (Delta)
FIXED.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Yeske2(m): 12:20pm On Jul 02, 2012
For the Imo/Abia guys in the house, what's the difference between ofe owerri and ofe achara?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by rhymz(m): 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
Andre Uweh:
FIXED.
hahahahah. . Una get time O. . I have stopped giving a damn about how SS Igbos choose to identify themselves, that na their own wahala jare.
Nobody here has mentioned ofe achara, mainly eaten by Ngwa, Umuohia folks. .
My people get nri plenty o.
I say my Yoruba friend, Tobi for Sokoto wey i dey serve with don contract with one Igbo corper to dey cook for am, d guy sef know say our chics culinary skills na baba, they even cook calabar soups so well with the precision of a calabar chic's bedmatics skills. .lol. . . i also notice that Delta igbo and calabar gals also can cook all manner of igbo soup so well too....
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by rhymz(m): 12:33pm On Jul 02, 2012
Yeske!:
For the Imo/Abia guys in the house, what's the difference between ofe owerri and ofe achara?
ofe Owerri is like oha soup but instead, the thickner is cocoa yam and the leave is Okazi leave. . Also, it is usually not as thick as your typical Oha soup, achara soup, am not sure how it is prepared though but it is very different from Oha soup or ofe owerri soup.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by PetroG1: 12:59pm On Jul 02, 2012
Banga soup and starch - Delta
Meepe soup and fufu - Delta.
Ogufe(goat meat) ofooro( smoked fish) and small amount of veg' and egunsi soup with pounded yam - Ekiti.
Unripe Banana and Yam - Osun - iles to be precise.
pounded yam and egunsi too cuts across so many tribes but its most done well in - Osun.
Eko and Moin moin(ole) - ibadan.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by slam7000(m): 1:04pm On Jul 02, 2012
Obiagu1: List of foods that have Igbo origin or present in Igboland since time immemorial.

Ofe Ora(oha) (Oha soup)
Ofe Onugbo (Bitter leaf soup)
Ofe Nsala
Ofe Egwusi
Ofe Ogbono
Ofe Okwuru (Okra soup)
Ofe Akwukwo (Vegetable soup)
Ofe Akwu (Palm kernel stew)

Ukwa (Bread fruit)
Abacha and Ugba
Nni ji (Pounded yam) mostly eating with Ofe Nsala (an elite soup) or sometimes with Ofe egwusi.
Akpu (mainly eating with Ofe Onugbo)

Okpa
Isi ewu
Nkwobi
Akidi
Ji akwukwo (Boiled yam mixed with vegetable) (Damn I miss this smiley)
Ji Mmanu (Yam with palm oil) (Poor man's food or quicky)
Agidi
Agbugbu (Fio fio)

Aniga..
Ahu oka...oka with ukwa cooked with bitter leaf
igbakwu aku,igbakwu oka.
Afiburu.....

these are mainly orumba/aguata anambra state dishes
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Yeske2(m): 1:12pm On Jul 02, 2012
rhymz: ofe Owerri is like oha soup but instead, the thickner is cocoa yam and the leave is Okazi leave. . Also, it is usually not as thick as your typical Oha soup, achara soup, am not sure how it is prepared though but it is very different from Oha soup or ofe owerri soup.
Thanks.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by oturugo(m): 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2012
Petro-G:
Banga soup and starch - Delta
Meepe soup and fufu - Delta.
Ogufe(goat meat) ofooro( smoked fish) and small amount of veg' and egunsi soup with pounded yam - Ekiti.
Unripe Banana and Yam - Osun - iles to be precise.
pounded yam and egunsi too cuts across so many tribes but its most done well in - Osun.
Eko and Moin moin(ole) - ibadan.
Is Delta a name of a tribe or ethnic group?.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 02, 2012
Luam kume-tiv....pounded yam gerger soup-tiv (draw soup)
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by adsega(m): 2:56pm On Jul 02, 2012
ogbono soup from yoruba, for where?!?!! dem no even dey compatible
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by fuelsaver: 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2012
Ugba -Igbo
Ukazi Soup -Igbo
Achara Soup - Igbo
Ofe Owerri - Igbo
Okorobom - Igbo
Ugboro - Igbo
Ntutu Akwukwo - Igbo
Agidi - Igbo
Emerelotu - Igbo
Akidi - Igbo
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by tantan: 4:21pm On Jul 02, 2012
lamba=kare-kare
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by glimpse(f): 5:51pm On Jul 02, 2012
claremont: Pounded yam and thick Egusi soup garnished with assorted meat, and washed down with Guinness stout grin-- Ishan tribe from Edo state.

wen did guinness stout bcom part edo dish? Wat hapend 2 palm wine?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Tonionyeka(m): 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2012
Akpụ na ofe oha, - IGBO ụkwa- IGBO. Hausa- tuwo shinkafa, tuwo marasa, kyunu, nunu, mia kyua mia kaza
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bukydiamon(f): 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2012
Orugbo soup with pupuru/ ondo
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by igboboy1(m): 1:11am On Jul 03, 2012
meat pie- oshimili
fried fish- oshimili
rice and stew- oshimili
ishi ewu- oshimili
gala- oshimili
suya- oshimili
Nkwobi- Oshimili
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by PrettyCindy(f): 10:06am On Jul 03, 2012
Ukpo Oka (corn pudding) - Ika
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by tpia5: 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2012
igbo boy: meat pie- oshimili
fried fish- oshimili
rice and stew- oshimili
ishi ewu- oshimili
gala- oshimili
suya- oshimili
Nkwobi- Oshimili

what of cake and fanta.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Does Mixing Alcoholic Drinks With Non-Alcoholic Drinks Reduce Effect? / Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? / How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.