Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,761 members, 7,806,088 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? (2420 Views)

Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. / How Much Is The Pride Price/dowry In Your Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Tos87(m): 10:35am On Apr 17, 2012
My friend visited a Village in Delta State. He was advised not to eat Alligator...that if he does he will die. I want to know if, in your place, there is any animal that you shouldn't eat and the consequence(s) that is/are suffered by anyone who does.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by vb0mb(m): 11:10am On Apr 17, 2012
In my place we eat all kinds of bush meat except Lion.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Abagworo(m): 11:41am On Apr 17, 2012
Vulture, Dog and Pig
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:39pm On Apr 17, 2012
Snake, pig
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:47pm On Apr 17, 2012
Snake,dog,monkey,duck,vulture. I personally dont f. Uck with pig meat.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by odumchi: 10:57pm On Apr 17, 2012
At my place, we don't eat snakes, or vultures. However, we eat alligators, dogs, monkeys, wild boar, chimpanzees and bush meat as delicacies.

My lips are already watering . . . cheesy
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by emofine2(f): 9:54am On Apr 18, 2012
Tos87: My friend visited a Village in Delta State. He was advised not to eat Alligator...that if he does he will die. I want to know if, in your place, there is any animal that you shouldn't eat and the consequence(s) that is/are suffered by anyone who does.

Lol, which village is that? I ask because that same prohibition exists in my father's maternal side of Delta state. I've heard some talk about the person who dares disobey and eat of the alligator and as a consequence their skin transforms into reptilian scales shocked grin tongue. . . .however dem too chop alligator pepper tongue

And in my father's village they are not to eat crocodile because it's seen as sacred.
However I'm really keen to eat crocodile one day and I am the least experimental and enthusiastic about food.

odumchi: At my place, we don't eat snakes, or vultures. However, we eat alligators, dogs, monkeys, wild boar, chimpanzees and bush meat as delicacies.

My lips are already watering . . . cheesy

Lol @ bolded. Interesting menu.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by wesley80(m): 3:17pm On Apr 18, 2012
Tos87: My friend visited a Village in Delta State. He was advised not to eat Alligator...that if he does he will die. I want to know if, in your place, there is any animal that you shouldn't eat and the consequence(s) that is/are suffered by anyone who does.

You guys sure its an "alligator" that's actually forbiden? Mind u, the only obvious difference between an alligator and a croc is in its size and length of snout I think you guys actually mean the Iguana or Monitor lizard, I may be wrong though but the Iguana is forbidden in my area of Delta state in sympathy with our brothers across the Niger who revere the Iguana. I also know of a number of towns in Delta state that forbid the Iguana.
In my town we also forbid "Snails"! I can't tell u how many mouth watering meals I've missed becos of that prohibition but even as a Christian, I've not been able to get myself to finally eat it esp after living with the fear of developing skin bumps if one eats it for so long.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:05pm On Apr 18, 2012
The origin of this "ban" is in the sacredness of the animal.
For many Yoruba peoples, the totem animal of Orisa worshiped there. generally not consumed. It is also forbidden to eat (or kill) certain animals related to the history of the Orisa.
For example, traditionally, while the snail is considered Osanlá certain Osun priestesses are forbidden intake.
Traditionally, this was true not only animals but also with certain herbs, kitchen items (palm oil, etc.).
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Tos87(m): 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2012
wesley80:

You guys sure its an "alligator" that's actually forbiden? Mind u, the only obvious difference between an alligator and a croc is in its size and length of snout I think you guys actually mean the Iguana or Monitor lizard, I may be wrong though but the Iguana is forbidden in my area of Delta state in sympathy with our brothers across the Niger who revere the Iguana. I also know of a number of towns in Delta state that forbid the Iguana.
In my town we also forbid "Snails"! I can't tell u how many mouth watering meals I've missed becos of that prohibition but even as a Christian, I've not been able to get myself to finally eat it esp after living with the fear of developing skin bumps if one eats it for so long.
I think you av just arrived cos dats the part of Delta state my friend is from too cos they also forbid sails..Jeezz!how i love snails.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by ifyalways(f): 11:32am On Apr 19, 2012
Dunno.I have eaten just about everything.Can't eat Pork anymore though.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Abagworo(m): 5:27pm On Apr 19, 2012
Tos87:
I think you av just arrived cos dats the part of Delta state my friend is from too cos they also forbid sails..Jeezz!how i love snails.

I'm from Imo and traditionally we don't eat Iguana and snails too but I now eat them well. Infact snail is my favorite meat.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Afam4eva(m): 9:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
Who forbids snail? I prefere to be banished from my village than to give up eating snail.

@wesley
What part of Anioma are you from?
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
Someone must know what those traditions?
For example, who do not eat pig or snake: they are aware of the reason that traditionally do not eat?
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by wesley80(m): 8:45pm On Apr 20, 2012
afam4eva: Who forbids snail? I prefere to be banished from my village than to give up eating snail.

@wesley
What part of Anioma are you from?

LOL, what you don't know cannot kill you, I remember a day in skool I and my roomie were literally starving and his GF prepared a sumptuous meal but unfortunately for me loaded the soup with snails! I had to let it pass me by and what I missed in that meal wasn't the intimidating pieces of snails (they actually disgusted me) but an opportunity to quench my hunger with a leafy soup and akpu!

BTW, I'm from Aboh, The original Aboh.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Afam4eva(m): 8:50pm On Apr 20, 2012
wesley80:

LOL, what you don't know cannot kill you, I remember a day in skool I and my roomie were literally starving and his GF prepared a sumptuous meal but unfortunately for me loaded the soup with snails! I had to let it pass me by and what I missed in that meal wasn't the intimidating pieces of snails (they actually disgusted me) but an opportunity to quench my hunger with a leafy soup and akpu!

BTW, I'm from Aboh, The original Aboh.

Customs and traditions are made to be broken eventually. I won't miss that meal for anything grin grin grin.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by wesley80(m): 9:10pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ptolomeus: Someone must know what those traditions?
For example, who do not eat pig or snake: they are aware of the reason that traditionally do not eat?

I once asked why snails are forbidden and it was clarified to me that the prohibition was actually exclusively for Men only but women had to also abide by it so they don't entice their Men and sons. The story was that generations ago a powerful charm that forbade snails was given to the males to protect and energize them during battles ( If you know a little history abt the ancient wars in that area you'd know exactly what I'm talking abt).

As for Iguanas, we do not actually forbid them but our sister town across the Niger revere them and since a good number of folks in my town have relations from there, twas only natural we respected their trad. My aunt once told the story of a day they were going to the farm in a canoe with my grandparents and my grandPa sighted a dead Iguana floating by on the river but despite his best efforts to draw my grandmas attention away from the carcass( She's originally from the Town across the Niger) she sighted it and started wailing! My grandpa had to go after the dead and floating Iguana, retrieve it and conduct a little "burial" ceremony b4 they continued their trip to the farm! They actually believe they r re-incarnates of their ancestors or something.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Afam4eva(m): 9:12pm On Apr 20, 2012
@wesley
What's this sister town you're talking about?
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by wesley80(m): 9:34pm On Apr 20, 2012
^^ Ndoni now in Rivers state but just across the Niger. Now I'm seriously hoping u don't ask me my house address!
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
wesley80:

I once asked why snails are forbidden and it was clarified to me that the prohibition was actually exclusively for Men only but women had to also abide by it so they don't entice their Men and sons. The story was that generations ago a powerful charm that forbade snails was given to the males to protect and energize them during battles ( If you know a little history abt the ancient wars in that area you'd know exactly what I'm talking abt).

As for Iguanas, we do not actually forbid them but our sister town across the Niger revere them and since a good number of folks in my town have relations from there, twas only natural we respected their trad. My aunt once told the story of a day they were going to the farm in a canoe with my grandparents and my grandPa sighted a dead Iguana floating by on the river but despite his best efforts to draw my grandmas attention away from the carcass( She's originally from the Town across the Niger) she sighted it and started wailing! My grandpa had to go after the dead and floating Iguana, retrieve it and conduct a little "burial" ceremony b4 they continued their trip to the farm! They actually believe they r re-incarnates of their ancestors or something.
An excellent explanation dear brother.
A great contribution to the thread!
Thank you very much!
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by tpia5: 10:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
my grandPa sighted a dead Iguana floating by on the river but despite his best efforts to draw my grandmas attention away from the carcass( She's originally from the Town across the Niger) she sighted it and started wailing! My grandpa had to go after the dead and floating Iguana, retrieve it and conduct a little "burial" ceremony b4 they continued their trip to the farm!

na oyibo she be?
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by Afam4eva(m): 1:35am On Apr 21, 2012
wesley80: ^^ Ndoni now in Rivers state but just across the Niger. Now I'm seriously hoping u don't ask me my house address!
lmao

I never knew Aboh and Ndoni share a history together. Nice to know.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by nativedoctor(m): 12:12am On Apr 23, 2012
In my place it is forbidden to eat mosquitoes.
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:57am On Apr 23, 2012
nativedoctor: In my place it is forbidden to eat mosquitoes.

what a surprise! tongue
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by wesley80(m): 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2012
nativedoctor: In my place it is forbidden to eat mosquitoes.

If they had to forbid mosquitoes, then I bet soldier ants would be a delicacy!
Re: Any Animal You Shouldn't Eat In Your Place? by mercurie(f): 6:38pm On Apr 23, 2012
My tribe, ikwerre, we do not eat female dogs. Its forbidden.

(1) (Reply)

Aso-oke Lounge / In Pictures, Ooni Of Ife's Siblings Reconcile Ahead Of His Royal Wedding / Oba Olateru Olagbegi’s Died With Five Of His Wives Still Virgins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.