Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land (11563 Views)

Poll: Do you think it's exorbitant, self-enrinching and morally wrong to ask for all these?

Yes: 80% (12 votes)
Indifferent: 20% (3 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Interesting Reasons Why You Should Marry A Typical Nigerian Woman. / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / Girls Who Cohabited In The University Do Not Deserve Bride Price!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 17, 2012
Igbo Kwenu!!!
Its every man's dream to have a beautiful and decent wife, but in iboland nothing good comes easy.Here a list that discourages men from marrying their certain dreams. Left for me, If i sweat to pay this ; i see no reason why my wife should ever mention another man's name in my house not to talk of f.uck
Section A : UMUADA (ALL KINDRED DAUGHTERS)
• Wrappers and Blouses– (George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax)
• Jewelry – (Gold plated earings, necklaces)
• Head ties and Shoes (Different types and colours)
• Hand bags and wrist watches (Different types and colours)
• Toiletries (Body creams, bathing soaps, washing detergents, etc.)
• Beverages and food items
• Cash gift (lump sum) –Ogwe ego
• Drinks (Malt & Minerals)
Section B: NMANYA UKWU (BIG WINE) – KINSMEN (UMUNNA) The items in this category will be shared amongst the heads of the extended family of the bride to be.
• Bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
• Kolanuts
• Gallons of Palmwine
• Cartons of Beer, Malt and Mineral drinks
• Heads of Tobacco with potash
• Rolls of cigarettes
• 1 goat
• Cash gift (Lump sum) – Ego Umu’Nna
Section C: N’MEPE UZO (OPENING OFGATE) – GENERAL
• 30 tubers of Yam
• 2 bags of Rice
• 2 bags of Salt
• 2 cartons of Star Beer
• 2 cartons of Guinness Stout
• 2 cartons of Maltina
• 6 crates of Minerals
• 3 bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps(millennium brand)
• 30 bulbs of onions
• 1 gallon of red Palm oil (10 -25 litres)
• 1 gallon of Groundnut oil (25 litres)
• A basin of Okporoko (Stockfish)
• 2 pieces of Goat leg (Ukwu Anuewu)
• 25 loaves of Bread
• 1 carton of Tin Tomatoes
• 1 carton of Tin Milk
• 1 carton of Tablet soap
• 20 Pieces of Morning Rose powder
• 1 gallon of Kerosene
• 20 heads of Tobacco
• 10 packets of cigarettes
• 5 pieces of George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax
• 3 pieces of Umbrella
• 1 Big Box (Apati)
• 2 Big Basins
• 2 pieces of Igbo Blouse
• 2 pieces of Headties
• Gold necklaces and Wrist watches (minimum of 2 pieces)
• 1 piece of Lantern/Lamp
• “Ikpo Onu Aku Nwayi” (Bride price) – Negotiable
Other cash gifts that may be demanded during the course of the ceremony
“Ego nfotu ite” (cash to bring down symbolic cooking pot) – ₦ 1,000
“Ncha kishi udu” (Toasting of wine) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Ogo cherem” (money for theinlaws) – ₦ 50,000
“Ego maternity” (money for futurematernity) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Onye Eze” (money for village chief) – ₦ 1,500
“Ogwe Ego” (lump sum) – ₦ 5,000
image.jpg (160.54 KB, 575x743 -viewed 4519 times.)
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by dekagurl(f): 11:50am On Apr 17, 2012
hahahahaha, where precisely?
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 17, 2012
^^^cant say bt very costly if u ask me shocked
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by tasandra: 12:46pm On Apr 17, 2012
@ Op,i nobi Ibo but,dis 1 na propa lie grin even bill gate,go run 4 dis kain list grin

1 Like

Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by PrettyCindy(f): 5:51pm On Apr 17, 2012
Is this for real? I don't think so. But its possible sha. We once had a neighbour from Delta who dated an ibo lady for good 8years and when he wanted to marry her, he was slammed with a marriage list that his salary (was a teacher) couldn't cover. He peacefully ended the affair with the lady. He went to his village, courted and married a wife in 3months. They now have 3kids but ........
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by greedie1(f): 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2012
Definitely not from my part of iboland...... But mbaise can ask for sometin lyk dis... Op, dis requirements is for which town
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 18, 2012
My broda did his traditional marriage recently bt nt all dis wos asked from him bt i tink its because she wos from a xtian family
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by plaetton: 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2012
It is very ridiculous and getting more ridiculous by the day. i hear that some are even putting blackberries phones on the list. Extreme materialism has eroded all aspects of Igbo culture.In olden times,these gifts of insignicant monetary value were simply symbolic tokens to reperesent dowry and seal the bond of kinship between the two families and communities. They have now evolved along with greed of the our society, into extortions and ransome demands.
The government has to step in with laws that simplify marriage and . Marriage is good for the community and no community should put obstacles in the way. Today's Igbo culture puts a very heavy yoke on young men and women wishing to get married. This,to me is very degenerate and harmful.

1 Like

Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 19, 2012
^^^lol @ blackberry
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Daresh(f): 10:59am On Apr 19, 2012
Haba this womans family must be very hungry. I saw the list for my Igba nkwu and it was a lot of drinks and kolanut. The only other thing was some wrappers and make up for the umu ada, nothing serious. As for cash my husband paid N1,500 and he was given change of N500. I'm from Anambra but I hear Imo girls na die!
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by cdrealtors: 7:38pm On Apr 19, 2012
^^^very true. I'm from Anambra, and my list was some drinks and Kolanut. Cash was 1,000 and they returned 200 to him. I'm married to a man from Imo State and I saw his sister's list. It was ridiculous! Very similar to op's list but it was 70 yams as opposed to 30 and much more drinks. shocked
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by moremi2008(m): 7:53pm On Apr 19, 2012
And why won't the husbands mistreat the wife once they marry her! After all, they "bought" her at a high price and feel entitled to treat her like a highly-priced gadget. I pray some of our cultures can move away from these barbaric practices. Giving your daughter's hand in marriage should not be a wealth-creation event. Stop selling your daughters into marital slavery! To be honest, a lot of Lagos weddings cost several times more than this. However, the money goes towards the party and ceremony, not to enrich the wife's family!
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by ng4am(f): 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
Hahahahhah, the list is no lie, is a kind of list u see in IMO state, must times is Not the parents of the girl but rather the community, the village present the list not the brides parents and the parents of the girl don't get up to 20% of what's in that list, it goes to the village men, women, youth and umuada cos the igbos believe that one man don't own a child but rather the çommunity.
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
It's totally unreasonable unless if the girl's family knows their in-law are very rich or wealthy
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 20, 2012
This is buying and selling!,if i pay this to the bride family,i won't respect my inlaws because they just sold their daughter to me,although i won't treat my wife as a slave.
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by WHAT3: 11:26pm On Apr 20, 2012
I can relate to it. We married a wife from a state that had similar procedure. The list was too much. We negotiated and paid for the whole items in cash :300K! pls i am not exaggerating! now, the chit of a gal is misbehaving. I kukuma mind my business before someone go insult her fada! mschewww.
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 21, 2012
If i shud by all these or pay a huge amount and i dnt wnt c dose in-laws in my houz or xpekt somtin 4rm me in d future, nonsense, or even if i hav concubines or girlfriends outside nobody shud criticize me. RUBBISH
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 21, 2012
WHAT:
I can relate to it. We married a wife from a state that had similar procedure. The list was too much. We negotiated and paid for the whole items in cash :300K! pls i am not exaggerating! now, the chit of a gal is misbehaving. I kukuma mind my business before someone go insult her fada! mschewww.
which state wos dat?
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by jaybee3(m): 8:00am On Apr 21, 2012
Not as expensive as what they pay in zimbabwe.
I frankly told my MIL that i ain't interested in an egagement party or what not cos it's just a waste of money.
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by bisi16(m): 4:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
The cheapest place to take a wife is Anambra, no doubt. In Awka for instance, indigents 8tubers of yam, if u're 4rm outside Awka, its 16.. Bride price no dey ever pass N1500. In total, u cld be spending less than 250k, except u wan do additional stunts join am. Unless d money full house dey troway, I pray love never carry me outside Anambra. I hear Enugu is cool too.
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by r231(m): 4:06pm On Apr 21, 2012
shocked shocked
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 21, 2012
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 22, 2012
chaircover: please can someone tell me the total cost of all of this?

This is how much my husband owes my dad angry and since my dad has passed, the money should come staight to me wink

Imagine the nonsence oooooooo . . . all my family got was yams, fruit, salt etc etc etc angry

Definitly there will be Ipod, Ipad, Ipaid, blackberry, blueberry and halleberry's on my daughters list. You pay peanuts and you get monkeys . . . nonsense.

Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 22, 2012
That is so much better than Kenya where the bride price ... is 150 cows and 100 goats and even over 20 donkeys clothes for the bride, clothes for the bride mother/father/sister/brother, and all the other small stuff. grin grin Maybe Kenya is full of the most beautiful women in the world. grin grin grin grin grin I mean I have one of my friend who had to help her brother back home in Kenya with Bride price. grin
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 22, 2012
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by stillme(m): 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2012
Two things are missing in that list. Okada for the father in law and sowing machine for the mother in law.

1 Like

Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 23, 2012
very interesting thread, my friend bought 80 cartons of beer according to the list given to him by his in-laws in 9th mile corner Ngwo, Enugu state.
i wonder if his in-laws wanted to open a beer parlour.

1 Like

Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Aparche(f): 10:54am On Apr 23, 2012
angry
Promhize:
that is quite stu.pid of u, u were sold out like a piece of chicken if u dnt knw, so he can treat u in anyway he chooses. And for ur daughter, it's ur husband duty 2 decide what he wants 2 collect not u

Bros na wa o! isn't it obvious that she's joking; even the Ipaid, blueberry & halleberry she mentioned should have been enough to
convince u. Abeg go get a sense of humor & stop the baseless insult.

1 Like

Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Celyt(f): 3:26pm On Apr 23, 2012
@ Aparche, i fear die for the insults. The guy is truly shallow-minded.
@ CC, i don't mind encouraging my son to pay all that for your daughter's hand in marriage(Ipaid, blueberry,halleberry inclusive). Because i no say na like mother na like daughter.
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by r231(m): 7:48pm On Apr 23, 2012
Promhize:
that is quite stu.pid of u, u were sold out like a piece of chicken if u dnt knw, so he can treat u in anyway he chooses. And for ur daughter, it's ur husband duty 2 decide what he wants 2 collect not u

oga where u keep ur brain undecided undecided
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by Nobody: 7:53pm On Apr 23, 2012
Re: A Typical Bride Price List In Some Parts Of Ibo Land by armyofone(m): 9:09pm On Apr 23, 2012
man up and don't complain but Pay the Bride Price.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Best Advice On This Matter? / Women Who Gave Birth Via CS (Caesarean Section) Are Now Being Shamed? / A Thread For All Faithful Husbands. :)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.