Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! (42092 Views)

Electric Cable At First Bank ATM Mile 12, Lagos (photos) / How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / Have You Ever Been Debited By The ATM Machine Without Getting The Cash? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by omicron(m): 6:32pm On Apr 17, 2012
I think it's a common thing here in this part of the world....and sometimes recovering such money takes ages; at times, NEVER!

Mine was with one of the old generation Naija banks, of course. A fair amount of money. To many proctocols to recover.

What's your experience? Did you ever get your cash back? How long did u have to wait?

Can one sue banks for such What's your take?!

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by stagger: 12:43am On Apr 18, 2012
Had this problem twice with my local bank, Took 10 days to resolve.

Happened again when I tried to book an airline ticket. Took 7 days to resolve (of course I had to cough out money on the spot to pay again..not funny at all!)

The worst experience was with my international MasterCard, where money was deducted at Ecobank ATM at Yaba-Ojuelegba Road. I had to lodge a complaint with my card providers and it took..wait for it...

FIFTY DAYS!!! shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by onoja12: 3:59am On Apr 18, 2012
ur own is good,i used my internation visa card on a diamond bank atm in amuwo,this thing chop my money.the worst part they refused to give complain form instead they say i should get in touch with my issuing bank which i did,then they stated lie that they havent recieved mail from my bank.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by onoja12: 4:03am On Apr 18, 2012
to cut the long humilating story short.till today almost a year now i didnt get my money back after i spent almost the same amount on calls
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Apr 18, 2012
First thing is, I dont use my American Express here in Nigeria!! NEVER!!!!

Secondly, I have been debited severally by my bank for incomplete transactions at an ATM. The first time was in Calabar, I was still a corp member, I just recieved 5000 Naira from home, that was my widows (abi widowers) mite. . I strolled to a Fidelity bank ATM close to my house, started to transact, everything went well, I even heard the darn machine counting the money. . Next thing my card popped out. . . I waited for about 10minutes and no money. People behind were even pissed that I was hugging the machine. So I stood by and let another person use the machine, my eyes fixed on the cash dispenser should my transaction go through. . The person finished, got paid and left. . . Then I knew the machine was faulty. I started to stroll towards another ATM when I got the bank alert sms saying my account had been debited. . Next morning, I hoped on an Okada straight o the bank, filled out a form, stating time and place. I couldnt remember the operator of the ATM so I had to go back, find out and return to the bank to finish filling out my complaint form. It took almost two weeks. The dude who attended to me adviced me to always use SKye Bank ATM machines with my card (I was banking with them). SMH.

GTBAnk. . Same experience. This time I was debited by a Zenith Bank ATM. Luckily for me, I called GT help line, they said to wait for 24 hours to see if the transaction would be reversed, 48 hrs later nothing. I called them again, the dude says I need to come into the bank physically, I hung up, 5 minutes later, I had been credited. Never made it to the bank, Nothing.

BUT!! I never use international cards in Nigeria, rather I use my Nigerian cards abroad.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by emsquare(m): 9:31am On Apr 18, 2012
Yes, I have! It was resolve in less than 48 hours and I got my money...
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by blank(f): 9:39am On Apr 18, 2012
Hmmm. GTPay is still holding my money. I did an online transaction twice. Both of them did not go through and they have refused to refund my money. I emailed them 3 times but still no response (though they said they will respond within 24 hrs). I called them, no luck. When i have their time, i will go to the bank and make noise cos GTB is so lousy. They still have not refunded me for mastercard that i did not ask for. They just keep debiting my account.

I will start leaving only minimum balance in my account with them. Crooks.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 18, 2012
GT Bank - 8k - sango ota branch - never got it back
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by infinitii(f): 9:59am On Apr 18, 2012
Im so happy that this topic came up at the right time.The first time I had this experienced such was @.FCMB in ketu. The sum of 40,000 naira
was involved and I was lucky.
The second experience was with the Orange bank (GTB), The experience was WONDERFUL, within a split of a second, my account WAS RE-CREDITED WITHOUT STRESS.
The lastexperience I had was with FCMB @ adeola odeku.......................... I never got my noney back....N5,000. and i promised myselve not to leave a penny in that salary account................

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by DAY12(m): 10:01am On Apr 18, 2012
blank: Hmmm. GTPay is still holding my money. I did an online transaction twice. Both of them did not go through and they have refused to refund my money. I emailed them 3 times but still no response (though they said they will respond within 24 hrs). I called them, no luck. When i have their time, i will go to the bank and make noise cos GTB is so lousy. They still have not refunded me for mastercard that i did not ask for. They just keep debiting my account.

I will start leaving only minimum balance in my account with them. Crooks.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 18, 2012
[quote author=hardleyC]GT Bank - 8k - sango ota branch - never got it back

wow. I also bank with GTB and mine happened last Fri. Used first bank ATM in wuse zone 3, heard d machine count but d 40k i was expecting didn't come out. though i lodged a complaint at GTbank Tofa house branch, d guy said i shud wait 24hrs for a possible reversal. I waited on Saturday and still didn't see anything. I filled d form on Friday but d customer service guy says he will lodge d complaint by Monday 16th. That First Bank takes 8 working days, can u imagine?
I've been relaxing since taking him by his word, but with these testimonies i'm marching straight there during lunch today. What nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Efizzi: 10:13am On Apr 18, 2012
It happened to me two weeks ago in GTBank benin City. I had an afternoon flight to lagos and decided to withdraw some money for needful things. Once I clicked on the withdrawal amount, I saw a prompt "Transaction in Progress" after that they said "issuer inoperative". Just for me to leave there to another branch and I got alert that the money had been withdrawn. It was so disspointing cos I had no other money on me. Anyway to cut a long story short I marched to GTB lagos branch and laid my complaint twice. I was on the verge of reporting the bank to EFCC thats when I got the alert that the money has been returned to me. The annoying thing is that they offered NO apology.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 18, 2012
This is so scary. One of the reasons I never use an ATM in naija. Even though they sent text messages that ATM card had been issued. I just leave it for the branch to keep.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 18, 2012
This is so scary. One of the reasons I never use an ATM in naija. Even though they sent text messages that ATM card had been issued. I just leave it for the branch to keep.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Demdem(m): 10:20am On Apr 18, 2012
yes i have. 20K to be specific.fortunately it was corrected in less than 24Hrs. i didnt even have to go to the bank. the machine corrected itself
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Konnektions146(m): 10:24am On Apr 18, 2012
its a general occurence abt debit errors wrt ATM transactions,
a lot of factors could contribute to that amongst them:
1-Epileptic network,
2-FEP issues resulting from yur bank processor failures
3-issuer or swith issue(eg. interswitch,chams)
4-security issues(passcode,biometric etc)
5-faullty ATM machine(cash handler issues)
from the above, the most common factor could be 1,2 and 3. as a customer yu cant do much as per the 1,2,3 but yu can as per de 4 and 5.
its adviceable yu dont withdraw more than N20k ina single transaction in any ATM, some banks has de capabilies of pulling a single transaction of abt N40k but if the machine has de 3 above, it MUST debit without pay.

as well, inter-bank ATM usage can be dicey attimes as any debit error encountered and the auto-reverse ddnt work would take a longer time to resolve than when u used yur own bank ATM in yur bank.

take dis few precautionary measures and u will have less ATM debit issues.

moreso, ATM users should try undastand and bear with the bank staff as sometimes theyy are handicapped and may not give sevice delivery as promptly as we wish.

go cashless!

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by achi4u(m): 10:27am On Apr 18, 2012
i normaly use Oceanic ATM to witdrew from FirstBank at Abakaliki metropolise without any problem.oneday i traveled to Nnewi for biz trip,as usuall i entered Firstbank and immidatly slot my ATM card and press 20k...after hearing the sound of counting 'like what Okija_juju said',my card popt out with recipt...the recipt read"your financial instutition was not authorised",i slot the second time...same story,i turned to the second ATM and yet same story...making it N60,000 with 3recipt.i jumpt on okada to Oceanicbank on my way an alert came that i've witdrew 60k i neally fainted.i manage entre the bank and filled the complaint form.to cut d long story short,anywhere i see oceanicbank i'll just enter and fill the form.

after like one month i receive 20k...next mouth another 20k then remaining 20,the Abakaliki branch bank manager of Oceanic called me one day and asked me to swear if that ATM at Nnewi didnot dispensed any money...my people i have to swear and collect my remaing 20k,i spree like N2,000 to everybody and tore my witdrawal book and even break my atm card in their presence...daz my last day at OCEANICBANK.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by mandai01(m): 10:51am On Apr 18, 2012
This matter is not funny o! It once happened to me with a GTB ATM, i used keystone card, i went to Keystone to complain and i was lucky i got my refund in 24hrs, On Thursday last week, i used a GT Mastercard on Zenith Bank machine in UNAD Ado-Ekiti, the transaction was completed but i was not given the cash. up till now, i have seen anything, though i don't know if the cash was really deducted but I'm going to visit GTB today.
Folks, what do you think i should ask for? is it not my statement of account, i kind of lost track of my exact balance.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 18, 2012
achi4u: i normaly use Oceanic ATM to witdrew from FirstBank at Abakaliki metropolise without any problem.oneday i traveled to Nnewi for biz trip,as usuall i entered Firstbank and immidatly slot my ATM card and press 20k...after hearing the sound of counting 'like what Okija_juju said',my card popt out with recipt...the recipt read"your financial instutition was not authorised",i slot the second time...same story,i turned to the second ATM and yet same story...making it N60,000 with 3recipt.i jumpt on okada to Oceanicbank on my way an alert came that i've witdrew 60k i neally fainted.i manage entre the bank and filled the complaint form.to cut d long story short,anywhere i see oceanicbank i'll just enter and fill the form.

after like one month i receive 20k...next mouth another 20k then remaining 20,the Abakaliki branch bank manager of Oceanic called me one day and asked me to swear if that ATM at Nnewi didnot dispensed any money...my people i have to swear and collect my remaing 20k,i spree like N2,000 to everybody and tore my witdrawal book and even break my atm card in their presence...daz my last day at OCEANICBANK.

Sooo funny!
Imagine being told to swear, thats d problem, they'll doubt u
my diamond atm is ready i guess it'd be wise to leave it with them.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by uchemelo: 11:06am On Apr 18, 2012
GTB debited me on Thursday, 5th April. (Twice), and I've been to their office twice, but no result. angry angry
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by docjuli(m): 11:12am On Apr 18, 2012
Okija_juju: First thing is, I dont use my American Express here in Nigeria!! NEVER!!!!

Secondly, I have been debited severally by my bank for incomplete transactions at an ATM. The first time was in Calabar, I was still a corp member, I just recieved 5000 Naira from home, that was my widows (abi widowers) mite. . I strolled to a Fidelity bank ATM close to my house, started to transact, everything went well, I even heard the darn machine counting the money. . Next thing my card popped out. . . I waited for about 10minutes and no money. People behind were even pissed that I was hugging the machine. So I stood by and let another person use the machine, my eyes fixed on the cash dispenser should my transaction go through. . The person finished, got paid and left. . . Then I knew the machine was faulty. I started to stroll towards another ATM when I got the bank alert sms saying my account had been debited. . Next morning, I hoped on an Okada straight o the bank, filled out a form, stating time and place. I couldnt remember the operator of the ATM so I had to go back, find out and return to the bank to finish filling out my complaint form. It took almost two weeks. The dude who attended to me adviced me to always use SKye Bank ATM machines with my card (I was banking with them). SMH.

GTBAnk. . Same experience. This time I was debited by a Zenith Bank ATM. Luckily for me, I called GT help line, they said to wait for 24 hours to see if the transaction would be reversed, 48 hrs later nothing. I called them again, the dude says I need to come into the bank physically, I hung up, 5 minutes later, I had been credited. Never made it to the bank, Nothing.

BUT!! I never use international cards in Nigeria, rather I use my Nigerian cards abroad.

grin grin grin
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Excelboi(m): 11:15am On Apr 18, 2012
Dem no born Union Bank ATM well. Make dem no give me my money? Hehehe, craze go happen. #on a serious note, i pray i doesnt happen to me cos i always withdraw cash from different banl ATM. Hope shit no go happen one day oooo.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by biilwwu(m): 11:20am On Apr 18, 2012
I LOST N40,000 TO UBA ATM AT THEIR OJODU BERGER , CASH WAS NOT DELIVER MY ACCOUNT WAS DEBIT , I TRIED ALL I COULD DO , I WAS TOLD THE SYSTEM MONITORING THE ATM INDICATED CASH WAS DELIVERED.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 18, 2012
Go to GTB and make a hell of noise they will beg you and refund you the money. No money is lost as far as the ATM didn't dish out the money is only that they will try to corner it but if you make noise threaten to write a petition to ICPC and EFCC concerning it, you will be surprise how fast they will refund you the money.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 11:39am On Apr 18, 2012
bi ilw wu: I LOST N40,000 TO UBA ATM AT THEIR OJODU BERGER , CASH WAS NOT DELIVER MY ACCOUNT WAS DEBIT , I TRIED ALL I COULD DO , I WAS TOLD THE SYSTEM MONITORING THE ATM INDICATED CASH WAS DELIVERED.

You dull ooo. Tell them to bring up their CCTV coverage on that day and time showing when you collected the money from the ATM. if they refuse, submit a petition to their head quarters via email, copy to icpc and efcc. u go see how dem go refund you. OMOH sharp oo na Guy man for that bank chop the money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
mine was annoyning. Some few years back a friend used my account to recieve some payments. Off i went to help him cash and got to a sterling bank atm only to try and withdraw. The machine was about to dispense when the screen just went blank. I entered their hall only for me to be giuen a form that i would be credited in 24hours. I got the money 17days after much embarrasment and stress.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by XFive: 12:42pm On Apr 18, 2012
Mine was a big mess. In 2010, i went to the east and i inserted my card in an ATM machine of intercontinental bank and twice the machine told me that i do not have sufficient funds while i had more than 100,000. I went to the customer service and they told me that i have been debited to the tune of 40,000. They said i should write a letter. I wrote the letter and the money did not come back to my account. When i came back to Lagos i informed my bank and they said that i should write another later which i did but uptil now, i have not received the money. This is a big SCAM
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by mizne1: 1:23pm On Apr 18, 2012
Folks, what do you think i should ask for? is it not my statement of account, i kind of lost track of my exact balance.[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by fesse(f): 1:37pm On Apr 18, 2012
Mine happened at Intercontinental rubbish now access useless bank fed.mortgage bank,central area,i used my atm and instantly received a debit alert, but 20k did not come. I immediately lodged complain at the same and they referred me to their area 3 branch, it took almost a month to recover the money. Another one was at UBA area 3,till now d 10k had gone to the dogs.Bunch of criminals.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by IamChiboi(m): 2:28pm On Apr 18, 2012
It happened †☺ me with a UBA ATM, it took almost 3weeks †☺ refund my 12,000. It has also happened †☺ me with lesser amounts two times
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by LailaIkeji1: 2:56pm On Apr 18, 2012
its a normal thing now. wen it happens to you, simply go to your bank and complain. they will confirm it n gv u a dspense error form to fill. and the next few days, ur money is bac in your account.
Re: Ever Been Debited By Your Bank ATM Without Payment? Share Your Experience Here! by alstacs(m): 4:09pm On Apr 18, 2012
Wish I could talk about human error deliberately committed too but I will stick to the thread of ATM fraud by banks.
Mine was a few yrs ago in a local govt about 200km away from from Jos. On a hot Friday afternoon, I travelled about 20km to get to an ATM machine. After standing on the queue under the scorching sun for over two hours, it got to my turn to use an intercontinental card in a first bank ATM machine. It was the begining of the end for all the folks behind me on the queue.
I punched in 20 k severally and each time my financial institution was not reachable. The last time I tried, daily withdrawal exceeded. I was drenched in my own sweat when sms alerts flooded my phone. I had withdrawn 100k virtually but no physical cash to show for it. I stormed into the banking hall that had closed for d day, threatening d security and mopol by the door. When I got in, I was asked to go to my bank in Jos to complain.
I drove on almost an empty tank to get that machine. Would I abandon my car? EvEn if I did, would I drink water till monday? How would I have even travelled to Jos to complain? it was the worst weekend of my life.
Let me spare you d details of how I survived till Monday. I need to let you know I was paid back, however after 9 good weeks!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forex: CBN Throws Naira Into Open Market, Nullifies N197/$ Exchange Rate / "Nigerian Women Now Leading In Pools Betting". See Photos / FG Moves To Digitise FX Transactions To Punish Naira Speculators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.