Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,974 members, 7,799,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program (5761 Views)

A Graduate Who Was Observing The Mandatory One Year (NYSC) Programme, Is Dead! / Highest Paying States For Nysc Program. / Scrap the NYSC Program: Deputy Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Labour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by mikedeoye(m): 1:34pm On Jul 20, 2005
Hi guys and gals in the house, I am about 4 days old on this forum and just felt like posting my first topic.

The topic is "what do you think of the compulsory 1-year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program for the Nigerian Graguates?"

Do you think is still very relevant to the present day Nigerian youths or a sheer waste of time?

This topic was prompted by my experiences during and after my service year.

My intention is hear views from ex-corps members, present corpers, potential ones as well as those who have heard of it but never really had an opportunity to participate in it probably because they live abroad.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by c0dec(m): 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2005
i'll be passing out of that nysc hell year next month. as far as i'm concerned, it's complete bull**** to 80% of corpers including me.

this issue is rather relative. if i got posted to a company that would have at least boosted my CV, i'm sure i would have praised the programme.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by mikedeoye(m): 2:20pm On Jul 20, 2005
I think i shld share my own views as well.

To start with i had my service year in Nasarawa state in an old town called Doma.To be frank my case was that of mixed feelings which ran thru the old year.Though i never really planned to participate in program as my original intention was to run abroad immediately after my Bachelors for my Mastes.But as God will have it i could not secure the scholarship which needed to my make studies abroad so i was forced to stay back and complete  the service.

Franlky speaking my initial views of the whole thing with all the camp experiences and my initial primary posting were all nonsense.I was almost questioning God why He made me to be part of it.However, I got all these changed at the end of whole service year as that year remained of the memorable year of life so far.In essence,what i m saying is that the whole exercise worth(only to some extent). To me it  gave me any opportunity to see Nigeria from a very different perspective.During that  year i realised that Nigeria as a Nation still has long way to reaching true Nationhood.I had the opportunity to impact lives in my whole little way.I shared out of the pains in the rural areas living and dwelling with them.One of the highpoints of the year to me was that i was able to prepare an SS3 CLASS for  the mathematics WAEC EXAM,before my arrival these puplis have not been taught Mathematics for almost 2 years.I saw it as a privelege to impact lives.

However, my experiences after the year proved to me that i wasted one year out of my professional  career.Ofcourse,that relisation came to light on getting here where professional experinece  immediately after university are counted as been very valuable.My whole NYSC year could not have a place on my CV as it was not relevant to my career at all.So i saw myself not been able to account for one year professionally.

Based on this, i think i m  being tempeted to conclude that my whole NYSC EXPERIENCE might after all be a shear waste of time.

What do u think about this?
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2005
definately it's fun and a good experience to prepare one for life. but when u get a f*cked up posting it really can become a 1 year waste job wise. God willing i'll be serving by March 2006 and i'm really really really looking forward to it. abeg make una pray for me oh!

see these cool stories on NYSC life:
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare1.com/Articles/Nworah/2005/04/singing-nysc-blues.html
http://itayemi.tripod.com/nysc.html
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by tayotina(f): 4:43pm On Jul 20, 2005
It's rubbish.. ..Av been trying to serve for over a year now.....av not been able to....They keep on giving me problems and their reason is that....I did not school in the country...I am just fed up.... I hope to join them in september....but really am not looking forward to it..
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by CimonJorr(m): 7:58pm On Jul 20, 2005
Like you guys have all found out one way or the other, it's all a matter of perspecitive..

I guess, one should start with the original intent of the NYSC program..

Is it supposed to be a year spent to acquire professional experience??..
The answer is NO...

Is it supposed to be a year spent to get to know ur country and it's people better??..
The answer is YES...

Is it supposed to be a year spent in the service of your country??..
The answer is YES...

Is it supposed to be a year spent to toughen you up??...
The answer is YES...

Is it a bloody waste of time??..
The answer is MAYBE... [If you allow it to be..]

The NYSC is a period of adjustment.. Not a period meant for you to get going in the job market.. Not a period meant for you to make money.. Just a period for one to get out of the school mentality, and realise that the country, and the world at large.. is a bigger place than you and me.. A period meant for you to adjust to the fact that you're bound to meet people from different places, with different social values and belief.. different customs and practises..

And to adapt to whichever situation you meet yourself..

If it were overseas, it would have been a voluntary program or something.. A lot of countries have similar programs[Germany, Isreal, etc..], and even more have tried to emulate the Nigerian model.. [there have been publications on this.. ]

By Nigerian Law, it is compulsory for all Nigerian Graduates.. Without it, you are not supposed to be employable..

The bottom line is how you spend the time and opportunity you are given.. When you enter the real world [for those who are still living in the comfort zone, or are yet to make the transition to the "reality" that they are now more responsible for their own doings..] one tends to appreciate the fact that they are more or less directly in charge of their lives.. And more accountable for their actions.. and survival..

One thing you'll find in common is that no Ex-Corps member has regrets of the time they've spent during their service year.. They only have regrets for not having accomplished more.. maybe in professional terms or financial terms [or otherwise]..
But they don't regret the experiences they've had, or the people and cultures they've come into contact with.. or the places they've been opportuned to visit [which on a very good day they'd have no opportunity to visit...

So, let's give the concept it's due.. No matter how poorly it's been executed..

My two kobo... tongue

Saint...
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by angelak(f): 10:26am On Jul 21, 2005
I think NYSC is a blessing, maybe because I was posted to a nice place. I can proudly say that I have gained working experience, good connections and 2 important positions that can boost my CV seriously. Although I studied Banking and Finance, I am doing secretarial work, which has seriously improved my computer skills as well as written English as i have to take down minutes in meetings.

To top it all up, I am equally a secretary for a national committee that was set up by the Minister under the ministry I serve in carry out a national assignment. I cover meetings attended by highly intellectual men/women (i.e. big shots) and take care of all other logistics related to the committee. I even get to be paid sitting allowance!  And guess what, the committee is set up for a one year period, perfect timing with my my service year.

I most add that I am not from a rich home, so my dad or mum or uncle did not connect me to anyone. I am also not into 'runs', if you get what i mean.

I am so grateful for the opportunity the NYSC has given to me! grin

Thank God.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Pinky(f): 12:23am On Jul 22, 2005
i have to sleep now but when i wake up 2mrw morning i will post in my reply.. i am currently undergoing the programmme to be through on the 18th of august 05 {few days more} & ...................{later}
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Pinky(f): 6:45am On Jul 22, 2005
morning peeps.. .am just waking up.....talking about NYSC
I was opportuned to be posted to somewhere i work my ass out...i work 12hrs a day, doing morning & night duties.... the advantage of the stressful work is that it has stretched me beyond my limit & increased my tolerance rate to 96%. & my only compensation apart from the meager salary is the cossy crib the company gave me...
Am serving in Benin.. it's a town of FUN but. cool grin..with two big problems... floods & thieves...living here can be hell as much fun has it's gat

NYSC gave me opportunities to meet people, great & small.... but come to think of it, if am to account for this last one year, i will do so 45%....
the stupid allowance in the NYSC scheme is lil or nothing to Write home about, employers of Corp members also take advantage of U, by paying lil or nothing.
I am looking forward to the day NYSC Scheme will be scrapped... shocked
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by legry(m): 10:54am On Jul 22, 2005
I hated my camp and totally disliked the venue so for me
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by CimonJorr(m): 11:04am On Jul 22, 2005
The camps were not selected for your personal comfort... tongue
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by CimonJorr(m): 11:04am On Jul 22, 2005
Pinky:

morning peeps.. .am just waking up.....talking about NYSC
I was opportuned to be posted to somewhere i work my ass out...i work 12hrs a day, doing morning & night duties.... the advantage of the stressful work is that it has stretched me beyond my limit & increased my tolerance rate to 96%. & my only compensation apart from the meager salary is the cossy crib the company gave me...
Am serving in Benin.. it's a town of FUN but. cool grin..with two big problems... floods & thieves...living here can be hell as much fun has it's gat

NYSC gave me opportunities to meet people, great & small.... but come to think of it, if am to account for this last one year, i will do so 45%....
the stupid allowance in the NYSC scheme is lil or nothing to Write home about, employers of Corp members also take advantage of U, by paying lil or nothing.
I am looking forward to the day NYSC Scheme will be scrapped... shocked

Mizz Pink..

If I may ask, where in Benin are u serving??
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by mamba(m): 9:20pm On Jul 22, 2005
I'm currently serving in Imo state and I'm here doing my business and sleeping in my crib grin
I can't afford to allow my business to deteriorate because of one lousy NYSC so I'm being covered while I'm trying to make a living here in Lagos...

The only thing I enjoyed during the short time I spent there after camp was the chicks grin If you're a male corper, I'm sure you must have enjoyed that aspect of NYSC grin
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Chxta(m): 6:41am On Jul 23, 2005
Camp... fun. I met the girl I want to marry there.
After camp... I served in a place that actually boosted my CV, so no real complaints.
NYSC... they should replace the damned thing with a year of military service. That will be more useful to the country.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by jogego(m): 12:59pm On Jul 23, 2005
In my belief, nothing in life is ever a waste. We go thru life each and every day learning. If you want something to be a complete waste of your time, then it would be. Nobody can have served in a place as remote as me. I spent a year in Borno State. In fact the town where I served was about 2 hours from Lake Chad. Look at the map of Nigeria to see how remote that is from a Lagos born and bred guy.

Did i seat and mope? Nope. First off, maybe cos we were so far from home, camp was a blast.The girls were unbelievable. And man, we were nacking in all available nooks and crannies while in Maiduguri. In fact some babes from my school who had been posing all the while in school, na for camp their posing end.

After camp in Maiduguri, I was posted to Monguno. It was terrible, no electricity except bw 6 and 9 each evening. No water. But then I decided to just make the best out of it. FIne I taught and they were dullards, basically unready to study. For crying out, some SS3 girls could not spell their own names. But you see how it is in the North and compared to the South, I saw why the Ogonis are fighting.

Not to go politial, but the libraries, laboratories, workshops were all fully equiped. Imagine machinery that run on electricity in a town that does not have electriity?

But wetin concern me, the school was a girls only school and as a Lagos boy concerned, me I dabarud them. In fact I remember one of the girls who wanted to fashii her fiancee cos of me. shocked shocked I had to tell her the hard truth, we are in a village yes I can be with you, but me I get girlfriend back home who writes me a letter every week and I defintely am not going to leave her for you. Go back to your village bobo.

I dont see it as a waste of a year. In any case, if there were no NYSC as a buffer, where are the jobs sef?
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2005
call me the site finder. here's another cool site on NYSC experiences: http://chibuzornwaezeapu..com, enjoy it wink.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by obong(m): 6:38pm On Aug 05, 2005
Instead of being scrapped, maybe NYSC should be improved. I think its a great program with a lot of potential
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by IAH(f): 6:26pm On Aug 08, 2005
NYSC - [b]N[/b]ow [b]Y[/b]our [b]S[/b]uffering [b]C[/b]ontinues. That means after your "suffering and smiling" in the University, you graduate into another phase of "suffering and smiling". Honestly, I don't want to serve and I will never serve. tongue
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by angelak(f): 3:27pm On Aug 09, 2005
obong:

Instead of being scrapped, maybe NYSC should be improved. I think its a great program with a lot of potential

Yeah Yeah!
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Hebsoft(m): 11:40am On Dec 05, 2005
The NYSC programme is best initiative dat has lasted in this country..I think the whole idea behind it is not really know. Here is a cool site on NYSC www.naijacorpers.com
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by vyvyan(f): 7:36pm On Dec 09, 2005
Hmm, NYSC!!! I am a potential NYSC member.That is I would be serving next year and I can tell you I am not looking forward to it one bit. With the stories I have heard, in my opinion I think it is sheer waste of time and energy. The orientation camps are in dire need of renovation and upgrading. Why would youths who have struggled to graduate from the not so pleasant state of universities of this country be made to undergo one year of suffering? More often than not, the graduates are rejected by those whom they have sent too which makes it all the more annoying. After serving most of the graduates still have to contend with job application.Before you know the hardship of the country down grades them to SAN- senior applicants of Nigeria. They should scrap this one year of torture before i graduate
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by tassmal(m): 4:45pm On Dec 12, 2005
i served like 3 yrs ago and i enjoyed service. it depends on what u want want to do with ur life. someone said he was able to make impact in doma, i think that is the spirit. see it as a year u can do something postive. some people just complain say the were posted to a dry place when in actual fact the were luck. u are posted to a place where u can touch lives with as ittle effort as possible.
i served in yobe state in a town called nangere lga and postikum.
look for those of u who havent served, i tell u
1. dont work it. believe where u will be posted too is the place God will use u to change lives
2.think postively. make friends with corpers who have postive thots and dreams and also with the people u are sent to serve
3. pray a lot!!
then it be fun for one year!! i can assure u.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by homegirl: 2:37pm On Dec 20, 2005
Hello! I'm new on the forum and would like to get more details about the next NYSC session in March.

I tried the website www.naijacorpers.com but it has no dates or timetable about the next session. Does anyone know where I can get more information ? Or let me know the process or procedure for signing up and attending ?

THANKS!!
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by CimonJorr(m): 10:35pm On Dec 20, 2005
hi girl..

Honestly believe your best source of info would be your school.. Unless you have someone in Abuja..

Welcome to the greatest forum on earth.. Where Naijas can be as only Nigerians can be... grin

More info about yourself please.. wink
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by homegirl: 11:16pm On Dec 20, 2005
Thanks CimonJorr! I've been working for awhile, ever since I graduated. I hope I can make the next session.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by CimonJorr(m): 4:35am On Dec 21, 2005
Stats ?? grin

Maybe you should create a thread introducing yourself.. this seems to be the fastest way for us to get to know you..

Have you contacted your school??.. where did you finish from?? ...

Believe me..

The NYSC is all you want it to be..

If you want it to be productive, na your choice.. If you want it to be a waste of time, na your choice.. cheesy
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by tassmal(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2005
cimon u right.. NYSC... now your spirit counts... it depends on what spirit u have.a spirit of excellence or laziness. a spirit of courage or fear. how NYSC goes depends on the person. just desire to serve well and do it honestly. i bet u will have fun no matter what.
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by homegirl: 3:43pm On Dec 21, 2005
I'm working now in the US, I also went to school here. I do have a positive attitude, but my patience is limited (I admit that frequently!) I have an NGO that I would like to serve for in Nigeria. The NGO provides free education to poor children, as well as adult literacy classes, agriculture training and youth development.
Is it possible to pick where you want to work ?
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Seun(m): 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2005
You mean after studying and working abroad you want to come to Nigeria to serve in the NYSC program? Why would you want to do that?
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2005
it's a wrap people, thread closed. CimonJorr has said the closing prayers grin

CimonJorr:

Stats ?? grin

Believe me..

The NYSC is all you want it to be..

If you want it to be productive, na your choice.. If you want it to be a waste of time, na your choice.. cheesy
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by CimonJorr(m): 1:11am On Dec 22, 2005
@ Homegirl..

PM me and maybe I can point you in the right direction.. wink
Re: The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program by tunjikrown(m): 3:42pm On Dec 27, 2005
can anyone tell me the actual date for the next NYSC.........(.batch A 2006)?[b][/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Payment Of Arrears Included In The New NYSC Allowance? / NYSC Monthly Clearance / For Those That Are To Wait Till July Let Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.