Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,530 members, 7,801,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice (7194 Views)

Landlord Issues Quit Notice To Ekiti PDP / Jonathan Nominates Obanikoro, Six Others As Ministers / Ojukwu's Siblings Give Bianca Quit Notice From His Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by OAM4J: 3:24am On Apr 19, 2012
CJN nominates female successor, gives quit notice

JUSTICE Mariam Mukhtar Aloma is set to make history as the first ever female Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), as she has been nominated by the outgoing Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Dahiru Musdapher, as his successor-in-office.

Nigerian Tribune exclusively learnt that Musdapher, who would retire on July 15, 2012 when he would clock the mandatory 70 years, had also filed in his terminal notice.

Both the nomination of his second-in-command and quit notice, the Nigerian Tribune could disclose, had been submitted to the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC), which would nominate officially to the National Judicial Council (NJC), which would, in turn, recommend her to President Goodluck Jonathan for appointment.

Curiously however, both issues were reportedly not discussed at the FJSC meeting that took place last Tuesday, though the CJN had forwarded the letters to the body since last week.

Aloma had recently rejected an offer for an international appointment when nominated as the Chief Judge of The Gambia.

It was also learnt that Musdapher’s initial plan to observe the traditional three-month terminal leave had been cancelled, with a source disclosing that “though he initially favoured it, we did not know why the arrangement just changed, because if he wanted to, he should have commenced the terminal leave by 15th of this month (April).”

Nigerian Tribune could also disclose that Katsina-Alu had given the reconciliation committee set up by the National Judicial Council (NJC) to reconcile him with the suspended president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Isa Salami, a wide possible berth.

Meanwhile, the constitutional issue raised by Salami on the power of NJC to sanction him could not go on at the Court of Appeal, Abuja division, due to the inability of the court to form a quorum.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/39512-cjn-nominates-female-successor-gives-quit-notice
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by koruji(m): 4:18am On Apr 19, 2012
The man just became Chief Justice. This is a position that should have no retirement age, if and only if we have merit system for appointing and promoting judges to positons.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by strangerf: 4:26am On Apr 19, 2012
koruji: The man just became Chief Justice. This is a position that should have no retirement age,

So you want some demented old man, or woman, deciding landmark cases for you? What was your major at OAU again? Underwater Basket weaving?

3 Likes

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by koruji(m): 4:38am On Apr 19, 2012
Do I know you? Is there a grudge you are harboring that I don't know about? I don't remember any encounter with you, so it is not clear to me how to reply. Before you travel too far than the lane of abuse and cursing, identify yourself or stop trolling me!!!

strangerf: So you want some demented old man, or woman, deciding land mark cases for you? What was your major at OAU again? Underwater Basket weaving?
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Geomac: 9:11am On Apr 19, 2012
[b][/b][quote author=koruji]The man just became Chief Justice. This is a position that should have no retirement age, [size=12pt][b]

You are wrong sir
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Tintinix: 9:50am On Apr 19, 2012
Why was Aloma recently offered an international appointment, knowing that she was the successor to the Nigerian Chief Jugde who was due to retire?
Why was the Chief Jugde not allowed to take the the traditional three months terminal leave which would have commenced on hte 15th?
Why were these issues not discussed in the FJSC as important as they were?

Questions Questions Questions!!!!

3 Likes

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by emsquare(m): 9:52am On Apr 19, 2012
strangerf:

So you want some demented old man, or woman, deciding landmark cases for you? What was your major at OAU again? Underwater Basket weaving?

?
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by coolguy2002: 9:54am On Apr 19, 2012
hmmm
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Delafruita(m): 10:17am On Apr 19, 2012
the office of the CJN has become a waka pass expressway to retirement.they dont seem to ever last beyond a year before retiring.that is robbing the nation of valuable time.a lot of time was spent on musdapher's supposed reforms,now aloma will come with her own without implementing musdapher's own.this naija sef

1 Like

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by freshmoney(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2012
And they said North is not gaining anything from Nigeria. Mscheww undecided
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by hakanai(m): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2012
freshmoney: And they said North is not gaining anything from Nigeria. Mscheww undecided

As usual.The North thing must come in.What is wrong with your sort.Can't you identify issues as they are.Judiciary or PDP or policy or National?
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by PHIPEX(m): 10:41am On Apr 19, 2012
Am happy that a woman is assuming the post but more curious to know why Northerners have been holding that position for the past 25yrs?

Can someone please explain?

2 Likes

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by otokx(m): 10:45am On Apr 19, 2012
Is it not the same judges that acquitted IBORI of all charges?

2 Likes

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 19, 2012
haka_nai:

As usual.The North thing must come in.What is wrong with your sort.Can't you identify issues as they are.Judiciary or PDP or policy or National?

But thats the truth one northerner leaving and nominating another, yet they r gaining nothing since they dont steal oil money freely again, ingrates
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 19, 2012
otokx: Is it not the same judges that acquitted IBORI of all charges?

For real shocked shocked shocked. Hope GEJ no forget her in a hurry grin grin grin
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by mbulela: 10:58am On Apr 19, 2012
Delafruita: the office of the CJN has become a waka pass expressway to retirement.they dont seem to ever last beyond a year before retiring.that is robbing the nation of valuable time.a lot of time was spent on musdapher's supposed reforms,now aloma will come with her own without implementing musdapher's own.this naija sef
I wonder how many weeks or months the Aloma lady will spend before retiring too.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2012
until they do somerhing about how they receive bribe from politicians, these judges should hide their head in shame.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Sealeddeal(m): 11:33am On Apr 19, 2012
She is not gonna be the Chief Justice even after been recommended.GEJ will force in another person..but does it mean dat its only north dat have judges?this is not merit issue.i think oda regions have competent judges as well.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by tiarabubu: 11:33am On Apr 19, 2012
OAM4J: CJN nominates female successor, gives quit notice

JUSTICE Mariam Mukhtar Aloma is set to make history as the first ever female Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), as she has been nominated by the outgoing Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Dahiru Musdapher, as his successor-in-office.

Nigerian Tribune exclusively learnt that Musdapher, who would retire on July 15, 2012 when he would clock the mandatory 70 years, had also filed in his terminal notice.

Both the nomination of his second-in-command and quit notice, the Nigerian Tribune could disclose, had been submitted to the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC), which would nominate officially to the National Judicial Council (NJC), which would, in turn, recommend her to President Goodluck Jonathan for appointment.

Curiously however, both issues were reportedly not discussed at the FJSC meeting that took place last Tuesday, though the CJN had forwarded the letters to the body since last week.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/39512-cjn-nominates-female-successor-gives-quit-notice

Journalist trying to create controversy and grow a plot when there apparently is none. A meeting took place on Tuesday, that means that the letter could only have been submitted that Monday. Enough time to list it in the agenda and circulate before the meeting? Why is is termed curious? LOL
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by babaowo: 11:40am On Apr 19, 2012
kkk17: until they do somerhing about how they receive bribe from politicians, these judges should hide their head in shame.
... They should also bury their heads in hot sand in desert, they are amongs major problems in nigeria.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
strangerf:

more like how to fetch water with basket.:p
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by mbulela: 12:20pm On Apr 19, 2012
obakovich:
more like how to fetch water with basket.:p
Is that not a thesis topic?
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2012
Shey na only northerners sabi judge case for this country?
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by nagoma(m): 8:08pm On Apr 19, 2012
For law profession , The practice of law as a an advocate or solicitor offers a lot of money, judges have comparatively small salaries and many restrictions. Southern professionals tend to avoid many years as judges , earning what is relatively pittance. Somehow the Northern law graduates patiently remain on the meagre bench salary all their lives. The only compensation they get is - a few of them become CJ. I can see that some bigots are giving different meanings to this trend. You can't have your cake and eat it. Amass wealth as a lawyer or live all your life as a poor judge and one in a thousand of you becomes chief judge.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Beaf: 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
Sealeddeal: She is not gonna be the Chief Justice even after been recommended.GEJ will force in another person..but does it mean dat its only north dat have judges?this is not merit issue.i think oda regions have competent judges as well.
It has little to do with North/South merit issues. Rather it is about longterm strategies and the North is well positioned within the judiciary to supply the CJN's for the next century or two. Why? Southerners prefer the bar, cos of money; while Northerners go for the bench. The bench supplies the CJN.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Ganys: 11:52pm On Apr 19, 2012
IF aloma is rejected, then i know the only person that GEJ is going to approve is Marry ODILI...mark my words....
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by PHIPEX(m): 11:55pm On Apr 19, 2012
Beaf:
It has little to do with North/South merit issues. Rather it is about longterm strategies and the North is well positioned within the judiciary to supply the CJN's for the next century or two. Why? Southerners prefer the bar, cos of money; while Northerners go for the bench. The bench supplies the CJN.

nagoma: For law profession , The practice of law as a an advocate or solicitor offers a lot of money, judges have comparatively small salaries and many restrictions. Southern professionals tend to avoid many years as judges , earning what is relatively pittance. Somehow the Northern law graduates patiently remain on the meagre bench salary all their lives. The only compensation they get is - a few of them become CJ. I can see that some bigots are giving different meanings to this trend. You can't have your cake and eat it. Amass wealth as a lawyer or live all your life as a poor judge and one in a thousand of you becomes chief judge.

Thanks, I'v learnt a new thing today.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by naijaking1: 2:00am On Apr 20, 2012
nagoma: For law profession , The practice of law as a an advocate or solicitor offers a lot of money, judges have comparatively small salaries and many restrictions. Southern professionals tend to avoid many years as judges , earning what is relatively pittance. Somehow the Northern law graduates patiently remain on the meagre bench salary all their lives. The only compensation they get is - a few of them become CJ. I can see that some bigots are giving different meanings to this trend. You can't have your cake and eat it. Amass wealth as a lawyer or live all your life as a poor judge and one in a thousand of you becomes chief judge.

Your jaundiced view of the southern law practioners is quite alarming. So, let me try to understand what you meant: northern lawyers patiently wait for judgeship in the civil service while their money-crazy southern rush into self-gratifying law private law practice?
How about the fact that for over the past 25 years in question, northern military rulers laid the cock-eyed constitutional arrangement that has favored the promotion, growth, and selection of half-literate northern judges like this Aloma lady, through a lopsided state creation that favored the north?
Either Imo or Delta state alone graduate more lawyers than the whole of the NW, yet layers from the south are denied federal appointments, promotion, and opportunities at an alarming rate all in the name of federal character. Worse still are people like you coming here to falsely explain it away based on some form of norther virtousity.

1 Like

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Onlytruth(m): 2:17am On Apr 20, 2012
naijaking1:

Your jaundiced view of the southern law practioners is quite alarming. So, let me try to understand what you meant: northern lawyers patiently wait for judgeship in the civil service while their money-crazy southern rush into self-gratifying law private law practice?
How about the fact that for over the past 25 years in question, northern military rulers laid the cock-eyed constitutional arrangement that has favored the promotion, growth, and selection of half-literate northern judges like this Aloma lady, through a lopsided state creation that favored the north?
Either Imo or Delta state alone graduate more lawyers than the whole of the NW, yet layers from the south are denied federal appointments, promotion, and opportunities at an alarming rate all in the name of federal character. Worse still are people like you coming here to falsely explain it away based on some form of norther virtousity.

naijaking1, where have you been, my brother?
I missed your many wise comments here. smiley
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by naijaking1: 2:19am On Apr 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

My brother, I was in Nigeria, oh, almost got knocked off by robbers in Abuja
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by strangerf: 2:20am On Apr 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

He is a scut monkey!
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Onlytruth(m): 2:21am On Apr 20, 2012
naijaking1:

My brother, I was in Nigeria, oh, almost got knocked off by robbers in Abuja

Whaat shocked
Abuja of all place? Chei naija sef! angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers / Lagos May Shut Abattoir Market / Governor Oyebanji Unveils 11-Member Economic Management Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.