Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,872 members, 7,798,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result (50168 Views)

Again, South-east Leads In WASSCE Performance Chart / Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE / Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by naptu2: 6:08am On Apr 20, 2012
Girl with nine A1s in WASSCE: She is so brilliant her teachers feared her result would be seized

April 20, 2012 by Sunday Aborisade

Last Monday was a day of glory for Miss Tolulope  Falokun, an indigene of Ondo State, who emerged as the overall best candidate in the 2011 West African Senior School Certificate Examination  as the state government organised a befitting reception for her, reports SUNDAY ABORISADE.

Seventeen year-old Tolulope  Falokun, who had distinctions (A1) in all the nine subjects she attempted in the 2011 West African Senior School Certificate Examination was in high spirit as she alighted from the official car of the Ondo State Commissioner for Education, Mr. Remi Olatubora, on Monday.

Tolu rode in the same vehicle with the commissioner from Akure to Ondo town where a befitting reception was organised for her at her Alma Mata, the St. Louis Secondary school.

Her principal, teachers, non-academic staff and selected pupils of the school who were already seated before her arrival in company with officials of the state Ministry of Education, gave her a standing ovation as she stepped into the venue of the reception.

Everybody that spoke on the occasion paid glowing tributes to Falokun’s simple nature and her quest for excellence. She was described as intelligent, hardworking, serious-minded and above all, highly disciplined pupil.

Born into the Samuel Falokun family on February 20, 1995, Tolulope is a native of Akure, and the third of four female children of her parents.

She was among the best five students admitted into St. Louis Secondary School in 2005.

Tolu, who came first in the ANCOPSS National Quiz competition had distinctions in all the subjects she attempted in the Junior Secondary School State Exams in 2008.

Tolu came first in the Ekimogun Essay Competition of December, 2010, hence, she featured in the 2010 Ondo State calendar. She also came first in several inter school competitions.

She was made the senior prefect of her school, because of her exemplary brilliance. Her younger sister, Ibukun, now in SSII, is currently the senior prefect of the same all female school.

The principal of the school, Mrs. Evelyn  Akindojutimi, while addressing the gathering, said the school, established in January1954, was initially owned by the Catholic before it was taken over by the government.

She said the school has been noted for its high standard of discipline and good results in examinations and academics.

She said, “Since there are only two terms for the final year pupils, our teachers work tirelessly everyday of the week to make sure that the West African Examination Council  syllabus was completed before the end of February. Thereafter, they  start revision from SS1 work.”

Analysis of the school’s 2011 result made available to our correspondent showed that none of the 146 pupils that sat for the exam failed English Language, physics, geography, chemistry, literature in english, Christian religious knowledge  financial accounting, typing, further mathematics, visual art, food and nutrition, home management , agricultural science, technical drawing and commerce.

All the pupils recorded 100 per cent success in the above subjects while they recorded 97 per cent pass in mathematics, 90 per cent in Economics, 98 per cent in Yoruba language, and 92 per cent in Government.

Tolu’s father,  who is a civil engineer, is a contractor while her mother, a nurse, is a civil servant in the state.

They told our correspondent that they enrolled Tolu in the school because it is a Catholic school with high standard and that the teachers are well dedicated and disciplined.

They explained that a private teacher was hired for her when she was in the primary school.

Tolu’s counsellor, Mrs. Cecilia Bello,  described her as a brilliant pupil, who was always reading in the library. She also said she was a very active and responsible pupil.

“She (Tolu) is not afraid of challenges. She loves teaching her juniors and even her mates. She is good in all subjects. She is not proud. She is responsible and best in everything,” Bello added.

A Russian, married to a Nigerian, Mrs. Ludmila Adeyemi, who was Tolu’s principal in JSS 1, said, “When I saw the type of girl she is, I decided to give her the best I could.

“She got A1 in all her subjects in the JSS exams. We prayed so that her result would not be seized by WAEC because it was too good.”

In an interview with our correspondent,  Tolu said, “Our teachers prepared us early for the exams. We had special lectures everyday  more than four months into the exams because we had covered our syllabus since first term SSIII.

“My Government teacher designed a timetable for me which I followed religiously  to make sure that I cover all my subjects. Our teachers also set up study groups for us and I did not miss any of these arrangements.

“I prayed hard and worked hard, using my timetable as a guide. I denied myself a lot of things especially social events. I made the sacrifice because I know there is ample time for all that after my education.

“I used to have a Ghanaian teacher who is very good in English language and Mathematics and he really thought me well when I was in the primary school.

“I go for lessons during holidays and I am always reading even during festivities like Christmas and Easter. I want to become a lawyer but in the academic. I really want to write a lot of law books because I love writing and reading.

“My greatest challenge was when everybody including my teachers, were expressing fears that my result could be seized by WAEC because of my performance in Mock exams.

“My parents and siblings joined me in prayers and fasting so that the result would not be seized by WAEC. Our fears were necessitated by  similar experience that I had in the past.

“I had sat for the entrance examination of the Federal Government Girls College in Akure only for them to seize my results because they thought it was not possible for a primary school pupil to write what I wrote without any form of assistance. I Thank God my WASSCE was not seized,” she added. 

Meanwhile,  WAEC has commended the Ondo State Government on the emergence of Falokun as the overall best pupil in the 2011 WASSCE.

The examination body, through a letter addressed to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education and signed by Mr. Austin Aidokha on behalf of the Head of WAEC National office in Nigeria, described Falokun’s result as unique.

It explained that another candidate, Mr. Chuks Ugochukwu, also had distinctions (A1) in nine subjects with a T-score analysis of 712.0972 but that Falokun emerged the best with a T- score analysis of 742.6992.

The state commissioner  said the achievement of Falokun  had  underscored the need for  massive investment in the  education sector which the present state government has exhibited with the construction of modern public primary schools.

He explained that Tolu, who had already been awarded scholarship to study law at the Obafemi  Awolowo University Ile-Ife, would enjoy a special financial support from the state government for as long as she remains in the academic line.

He said, “Apart from the full scholarship,  she will also benefit from the government’s annual bursaries and scholarships and other packages provided for Law students both at the university and the Law School by the state government.”

In addition, he said Tolu would be given N100,000 yearly throughout her university education and that the amount would be reviewed upward whenever she is ready for her post-graduate programme.

He added that Tolu  scored 290 in the 2011 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and emerged the second overall best student in the Post-UTME conducted by the Obafemi  Awolowo University  Ile –Ife with 336 marks.

http://www.punchng.com/education/girl-with-nine-a1s-in-wassce-she-is-so-brilliant-her-teachers-feared-her-result-would-be-seized/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by phantom(m): 8:26am On Apr 20, 2012
na wa o!!!see the level education has fallen in this country...barely 15 yrs ago this kind of reult would be displayed by no less than 10 students in a class.then it was no big deal(even though the standard was also falling at that time).
these days we are throwing parties for such results....shame!!!

2 Likes

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by strangerf: 8:43am On Apr 20, 2012
How can you " get A1 in JSS exams?"

Something isn't right about the story.

1 Like

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Ejine(m): 9:23am On Apr 20, 2012
strangerf: How can you " get A1 in JSS exams?"

I was thinking the same thing!
In my time, what is known as an A1 today, used to be called a 'Distinction' (as in, D in Junior WAEC)
This used to be the order - [b]D[/b]istinction >> [b]C[/b]redit >> [b]P[/b]ass >> [b]F[/b]ail

Dunno about now, though.

Could anyone in the house be kind enough to update us on the new aggregate system, please?
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by emRemiLek(m): 9:30am On Apr 20, 2012

Do you know how junior Waec exams are graded? Its the same grading system as the SSCE - (from A1 to F9).
so its very possible to score or get A1s in her JSS Exams
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by jmaine: 9:40am On Apr 20, 2012
Haba folks . .nothing is impossible . . .in 1999 . .heard about a female student in Loyola Jesuit college in Abuja ( nicknamed school for the gifted) . .who scored 10 A1's and 2 A2's . . .she took 12 subjects . . .

Intelligent people abound and in most cases the ladies almost always have those crushing scores grin
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by chikk(f): 9:41am On Apr 20, 2012
My problem is that nigeria will not look out for such people with brains, train them to any level so they can serve their country and humanity well. All she gets now is a stupid ride in a commissioner's car and a standing ovation. As for the scholarship, its not the first time we hear such. Pls, her parents should be ready to train her o, cos, after sometime, all the promises the govt made will cease. When america hears of her, takes her out, trains her well and refuse to release her, our govt will know such a thing as brain drain

4 Likes

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Ejine(m): 9:48am On Apr 20, 2012
WTF? I said PASS, not PBOTTOM!!! angry

1 Like

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by egift(m): 9:53am On Apr 20, 2012

Guy you no do "Junior WAEC"?
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by highland(m): 10:00am On Apr 20, 2012
She is exceptionally brilliant. Goodluck
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by bukatyne(f): 10:00am On Apr 20, 2012
i congratulate d gal n her parents. i sincerely pray that she would achieve her dreams n make Nigeria proud. i pray she wouldn't mess up wit NFAs in school n that when she wants to get married, she ll marry a man that ll complement her, stand by her n help her get to the highest point and not the one that ll kill her dreams or be insecured at it. i pray that at the very end, she ll not gain d whole world n lose her soul. keep soaring gal!

8 Likes

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by strangerf: 10:16am On Apr 20, 2012
em.RemiLek:

Do you know how junior Waec exams are graded? Its the same grading system as the SSCE - (from A1 to F9).
so its very possible to score or get A1s in her JSS Exams

STFU, A is A in Junior WAEC, there is no A1 or A2. The A is Junior WAEC isnt broken down. I repeat, there is something wrong with the article

1 Like

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Odunnu: 10:51am On Apr 20, 2012
Easy Man. You are wrong. Keep quiet and let those who know educate you on the system here
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by dzeph: 11:29am On Apr 20, 2012
chikk: My problem is that nigeria will not look out for such people with brains, train them to any level so they can serve their country and humanity well. All she gets now is a stupid ride in a commissioner's car and a standing ovation. As for the scholarship, its not the first time we hear such. Pls, her parents should be ready to train her o, cos, after sometime, all the promises the govt made will cease. When america hears of her, takes her out, trains her well and refuse to release her, our govt will know such a thing as brain drain

In addition, we hear of multinationals sponsoring some so called dance shows, "reality shows", (I wonder which one is not real) and some other competition that will not encourage learning but will make teenagers feel they can have their career pathway shunt. We want more of these kids found and well taken care of so that other pupils will learn to appreciate hardwork in learning/studying. Else, the brain drain will continue and some day we will only have entertainers as the average Nigerian profession and will have to depend on foreign professionals for our other needs.

4 Likes

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by kshow1(m): 12:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
Good brains indeed.......... How i wish she fell in love with science subjects while still in JSS

1 Like

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by proflynks1(m): 12:54pm On Apr 20, 2012
kshow1: Good brains indeed.......... How i wish she fell in love with science subjects while still in JSS

We 4 get Nigerian female 'Isaac Newton'... grin grin
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
cool
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by emRemiLek(m): 3:46pm On Apr 20, 2012
Odunnu: Easy Man. You are wrong. Keep quiet and let those who know educate you on the system here

Thank you.
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Wemmy6284(m): 4:20pm On Apr 20, 2012
Wonderful result
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by maclatunji: 5:07pm On Apr 20, 2012
The girl must be a genius! To get A1 at SSCE level takes outstanding work. Even the student will know they have written something special before leaving the examination hall. The fact that she got that in English is absolutely phenomenal.

***I pray say no runs were involved sha***
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by rastamouse: 5:08pm On Apr 20, 2012
naptu2: Girl with nine A1s in WASSCE: She is so brilliant her teachers feared her result would be seized

April 20, 2012 by Sunday Aborisade

Last Monday was a day of glory for Miss Tolulope  Falokun, an indigene of Ondo State, who emerged as the overall best candidate in the 2011 West African Senior School Certificate Examination  as the state government organised a befitting reception for her, reports SUNDAY ABORISADE.

Seventeen year-old Tolulope  Falokun, who had distinctions (A1) in all the nine subjects she attempted in the 2011 West African Senior School Certificate Examination was in high spirit as she alighted from the official car of the Ondo State Commissioner for Education, Mr. Remi Olatubora, on Monday.

Tolu rode in the same vehicle with the commissioner from Akure to Ondo town where a befitting reception was organised for her at her Alma Mata, the St. Louis Secondary school.

Her principal, teachers, non-academic staff and selected pupils of the school who were already seated before her arrival in company with officials of the state Ministry of Education, gave her a standing ovation as she stepped into the venue of the reception.

Everybody that spoke on the occasion paid glowing tributes to Falokun’s simple nature and her quest for excellence. She was described as intelligent, hardworking, serious-minded and above all, highly disciplined pupil.

Born into the Samuel Falokun family on February 20, 1995, Tolulope is a native of Akure, and the third of four female children of her parents.

She was among the best five students admitted into St. Louis Secondary School in 2005.

Tolu, who came first in the ANCOPSS National Quiz competition had distinctions in all the subjects she attempted in the Junior Secondary School State Exams in 2008.

Tolu came first in the Ekimogun Essay Competition of December, 2010, hence, she featured in the 2010 Ondo State calendar. She also came first in several inter school competitions.

She was made the senior prefect of her school, because of her exemplary brilliance. Her younger sister, Ibukun, now in SSII, is currently the senior prefect of the same all female school.

The principal of the school, Mrs. Evelyn  Akindojutimi, while addressing the gathering, said the school, established in January1954, was initially owned by the Catholic before it was taken over by the government.

She said the school has been noted for its high standard of discipline and good results in examinations and academics.

She said, “Since there are only two terms for the final year pupils, our teachers work tirelessly everyday of the week to make sure that the West African Examination Council  syllabus was completed before the end of February. Thereafter, they  start revision from SS1 work.”

Analysis of the school’s 2011 result made available to our correspondent showed that none of the 146 pupils that sat for the exam failed English Language, physics, geography, chemistry, literature in english, Christian religious knowledge  financial accounting, typing, further mathematics, visual art, food and nutrition, home management , agricultural science, technical drawing and commerce.

All the pupils recorded 100 per cent success in the above subjects while they recorded 97 per cent pass in mathematics, 90 per cent in Economics, 98 per cent in Yoruba language, and 92 per cent in Government.

Tolu’s father,  who is a civil engineer, is a contractor while her mother, a nurse, is a civil servant in the state.

They told our correspondent that they enrolled Tolu in the school because it is a Catholic school with high standard and that the teachers are well dedicated and disciplined.

They explained that a private teacher was hired for her when she was in the primary school.

Tolu’s counsellor, Mrs. Cecilia Bello,  described her as a brilliant pupil, who was always reading in the library. She also said she was a very active and responsible pupil.

“She (Tolu) is not afraid of challenges. She loves teaching her juniors and even her mates. She is good in all subjects. She is not proud. She is responsible and best in everything,” Bello added.

A Russian, married to a Nigerian, Mrs. Ludmila Adeyemi, who was Tolu’s principal in JSS 1, said, “When I saw the type of girl she is, I decided to give her the best I could.

“She got A1 in all her subjects in the JSS exams. We prayed so that her result would not be seized by WAEC because it was too good.”

In an interview with our correspondent,  Tolu said, “Our teachers prepared us early for the exams. We had special lectures everyday  more than four months into the exams because we had covered our syllabus since first term SSIII.

“My Government teacher designed a timetable for me which I followed religiously  to make sure that I cover all my subjects. Our teachers also set up study groups for us and I did not miss any of these arrangements.

“I prayed hard and worked hard, using my timetable as a guide. I denied myself a lot of things especially social events. I made the sacrifice because I know there is ample time for all that after my education.

“I used to have a Ghanaian teacher who is very good in English language and Mathematics and he really thought me well when I was in the primary school.

“I go for lessons during holidays and I am always reading even during festivities like Christmas and Easter. I want to become a lawyer but in the academic. I really want to write a lot of law books because I love writing and reading.

“My greatest challenge was when everybody including my teachers, were expressing fears that my result could be seized by WAEC because of my performance in Mock exams.

“My parents and siblings joined me in prayers and fasting so that the result would not be seized by WAEC. Our fears were necessitated by  similar experience that I had in the past.

“I had sat for the entrance examination of the Federal Government Girls College in Akure only for them to seize my results because they thought it was not possible for a primary school pupil to write what I wrote without any form of assistance. I Thank God my WASSCE was not seized,” she added. 

Meanwhile,  WAEC has commended the Ondo State Government on the emergence of Falokun as the overall best pupil in the 2011 WASSCE.

The examination body, through a letter addressed to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education and signed by Mr. Austin Aidokha on behalf of the Head of WAEC National office in Nigeria, described Falokun’s result as unique.

It explained that another candidate, Mr. Chuks Ugochukwu, also had distinctions (A1) in nine subjects with a T-score analysis of 712.0972 but that Falokun emerged the best with a T- score analysis of 742.6992.

The state commissioner  said the achievement of Falokun  had  underscored the need for  massive investment in the  education sector which the present state government has exhibited with the construction of modern public primary schools.

He explained that Tolu, who had already been awarded scholarship to study law at the Obafemi  Awolowo University Ile-Ife, would enjoy a special financial support from the state government for as long as she remains in the academic line.

He said, “Apart from the full scholarship,  she will also benefit from the government’s annual bursaries and scholarships and other packages provided for Law students both at the university and the Law School by the state government.”

In addition, he said Tolu would be given N100,000 yearly throughout her university education and that the amount would be reviewed upward whenever she is ready for her post-graduate programme.

He added that Tolu  scored 290 in the 2011 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and emerged the second overall best student in the Post-UTME conducted by the Obafemi  Awolowo University  Ile –Ife with 336 marks.

http://www.punchng.com/education/girl-with-nine-a1s-in-wassce-she-is-so-brilliant-her-teachers-feared-her-result-would-be-seized/

No wonder lipsrsealed
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by stepo707: 5:11pm On Apr 20, 2012
rastamouse:

No wonder lipsrsealed

LOL.Pretty figures it out
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by kiyosaki1(m): 5:15pm On Apr 20, 2012
dzeph:

In addition, we hear of multinationals sponsoring some so called dance shows, "reality shows", (I wonder which one is not real) and some other competition that will not encourage learning but will make teenagers feel they can have their career pathway shunt. We want more of these kids found and well taken care of so that other pupils will learn to appreciate hardwork in learning/studying. Else, the brain drain will continue and some day we will only have entertainers as the average Nigerian profession and will have to depend on foreign professionals for our other needs.
Seconded

2 Likes

Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by KevinII(m): 5:16pm On Apr 20, 2012
You guys should see me right now...I'm smiling from ear to ear like a proud father. Great result! I hope it doesn't end there, but that they will support her all the way. Unfortunately nothing in our system encourages scholarship. I am a living example, so in the end after I've hustled and succeeded like I will, I'll owe nothing to the country of my birth, rather it will be some other country that will have to take credit for supporting me when I needed it. Shame, isn't it?
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 20, 2012
A woman can achieve anything if she doesnt do boys.Keep it up girl. cheesy
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by passionate88: 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2012
jmaine: Haba folks . .nothing is impossible . . .in 1999 . .heard about a female student in Loyola Jesuit college in Abuja ( nicknamed school for the gifted) . .who scored 10 A1's and 2 A2's . . .she took 12 subjects . . .

Intelligent people abound and in most cases the ladies almost always have those crushing scores grin

And most of the schools are missionaries schools.
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 20, 2012
She should do Harvard. Nothing will stop here from getting in. cool Congrats to her mehn, na dis kind paroze dey like.
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by digitalgeorgy(m): 5:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
Hav u heard of victory comp college, elelenwo, port harcourt We dey hama waec lk say na class work!! i respct her ooooh!! however dat grade shd nt mak her relent in uni!! Those wey get all C's go stl dey same level(class) wit her 4 univrsty. Moreover, ur degree is more importnt dan ur waec result!!! No b quarrel sha!!!
Re: Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result by GeorgeD1(m): 5:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
i wish her all the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Checkout How This Student 'Padded' Himself - Photo / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures) / UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.