Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

I Like Being Vee-pee Says sambo In Objection To Prophecy In US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Like Being Vee-pee Says sambo In Objection To Prophecy In US (721 Views)

CCT: Saraki's Objection Thrown Out, Trial Commences / Kogi: Tribunal Admits Wada’s Expert Report, Dismisses APC, Inec’s Objection / Osinbajo Has 5,000 Churches So Don't Vote For Buhari - Sambo In Jigawa State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Like Being Vee-pee Says sambo In Objection To Prophecy In US by Ddaji(m): 4:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
Vice-President Namadi Sambo’s visit to the United States last week for an investors’ drive assumed a comical twist when he subtly turned down a prophecy from a participant Bishop that he would be President. Tokunbo Adedoja, who covered the visit, reports on the drama that dotted a rather serious engagement

For four days last week, Vice President Namadi Sambo, had high-level engagements in Washington DC, United States, where he was visiting for the first time since he assumed office as Vice President. Sambo, who was accompanied by his wife, Amina, arrived the United States on Monday night, and was received at the Andrews Airforce Base Maryland, by Nigeria’s Ambassador to US, Professor Adebowale Adefuye, and other top officials of the Nigerian embassy, before proceeding to the Ritz Calton Georgetown where he lodged.

Barely 20 hours after his arrival, Sambo, had begun some high-level engagement in the US capital. He was at the White House to meet with his US counterpart, Biden, the first meeting between the two leaders. After the customary photo-ops, the two leaders went into a closed-door session to discuss bilateral issues between both countries.

The meeting initially slated to last for 45 minutes, lasted well above one hour as both leaders resolved to further deepen relations by taking the BNC to a higher level. Biden was said to have offered the opening remarks by describing Nigeria as US most strategic partner in Africa and canvassed the need for a sustained high-level engagement.

Sambo's official itinerary in the US ended at a Town Hall meeting with Nigerians in the Diaspora held at the Nigerian embassy in Washington DC. The Town Hall which recorded a large turnout of Washington-based Nigerians and those from other parts of the US, was also attended by the wife of the Vice-President, Amina, Ambassador Adefuye, his wife, Catherine, Governor Amaechi, Adesina, and former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Howard Jeter, among other notable dignitaries.

Sambo used the event to inform Nigerians in US of what the Jonathan administration was doing to address the challenges facing the country, and also solicited their support for the reform agenda of the government.

Starting with the 2011 elections, Sambo recalled that President Jonathan assured Nigerians of a free, fair and credible election, and had delivered on that promise. He also said the government had set in motion, the process of making a departure from the past by bringing integrity, honesty and competence into governance, citing the quality of those brought onboard by the administration.

Speaking further on the efforts of government at addressing some of the nation's problems, Sambo listed the various reforms in the power sector and other moves initiated to revive the sector and make it the catalyst for the nation's development. He told the gathering that work was on course to revive the ailing rail transport sector, assuring that by year end, rail transportation would commence from Lagos to Kano, while government was also working on fast rail transportation from Lagos to Ibadan, and from Kaduna to Abuja.
That apart, he disclosed that four international airports - Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano - were being expanded, while remedial work was ongoing in all other airports across the country, just as he assured that government was determined to tackle the problem of corruption which had impeded the development of the country.

During the question and answer session, the Vice-President took time to explain the security situation back home and what was being done to addressing it. He was emphatic on the fact that the violent crises in the North had nothing to do with religion. "The security issue that is happening in the North is not a religious problem. It is an unfortunate problem being created by some hoodlums, people that have terrorist tendencies in their mind."

The Vice-President also disputed the claim that there was religious violence-inspired emigration in various parts of the country. "I will like to correct one impression. This issue that Christians were moving from the North and the Muslims are leaving the South is wrong. I beg to disagree with that notion because it is not happening.”

While noting that President Goodluck Jonathan had been holding series of security meetings aimed at addressing these challenges within the shortest time possible, he called for the support of all Nigerians, particularly the religious leaders, whose cooperation he said was vital to peaceful coexistence of all Nigerians.

[b]An interesting moment during the question and answer session was when a clergyman, who said he came from Nigeria to be at the meeting, told Sambo that he sees him becoming the President.

Apparently not oblivious of the import of such "prophesy", Sambo, while responding to questions said: "I forgot to mention to my lord bishop that I like Vice-President. Thank God for President. I recall when I met with Vice President Biden, we did discuss and he assured me and said he likes meeting with Vice Presidents and he likes Vice President. So, it is the same thing with me. As Vice President, I like being Vice President and I will support our President".[/b]source.wwww.thisdayonline.com

(1) (Reply)

Gun Men Kill 4 Ibo Traders In Yola. / Boko Haram : FG Commences Indirect Dialogue With Sect / Farouk Lawan Is A Criminal And Must Be Jailed - Patriotic Nigerian Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.