Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat (11361 Views)

Ubah To Buhari: Remove Fuel Subsidy, Probe Those Behind Shutdown / Impeachment Threat: I Am Ready To Negotiate With APC Lawmakers — Fayose / Okonjo-iweala Testifies Before Subsidy Probe Committee - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by arsenal1(m): 9:38am On Apr 21, 2012
Following Wednesday’s release of the report of the House of Representatives’ ad hoc committee on the scandals surrounding the management of oil subsidy, an impeachment threat now hovers around the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal.

Chairman of the Ad Hoc Committee, Alhaji Farouk Lawan, is also facing threats from unnamed forces on account of the panel’s recommendations.

In its report, the committee had indicted the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), the Petroleum Products Pricing and Regulatory Agency (PPPRA), oil marketers and others for unbecoming acts and asked them to refund a total sum of N1.07 trillion.

The alleged plot, it was gathered yesterday, is already generating tension in the National Assembly.

As a first step, security may be strengthened around Farouk Lawan who, sources said, resisted the pressure mounted on him not to expose public officers and oil marketers involved in the fuel subsidy scam.

Investigation by our correspondent revealed that some forces in government are uncomfortable with the findings and recommendations of the House Ad Hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy.

A principal officer of the National Assembly said: “The House leadership ignored pressure to water down the panel’s report or treat it in confidence.

“The argument of these forces was that the recommendations of the Ad Hoc Committee would hurt the economy and make investors to lose confidence in Nigeria. But the House saw the Ad Hoc Committee’s activities as part of a new era to usher in transparency.

“Since the report was released to the public, we have got sufficient signals that some forces are unhappy with the House. Although we do not give a damn, we are watching our back.

“These forces have renewed their plot to move against the Speaker and deal with Lawan and members of his committee. They want to remove the Speaker for his refusal to check the Lawan panel. They have branded the Speaker as “disloyal” to the PDP and a stooge of those opposed to the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.

“Although the Speaker has maintained that he is putting national interest above partisan consideration, the forces have vowed to unseat him.

“We are suspecting that some oil marketers are funding the anti-Tambuwal project. In fact, some of these forces are also planning to blackmail Lawan. The House leadership has, however, asked Lawan to lie low and avoid further comments on the report.

“We will throw the debate open as from Tuesday and Nigerians will know where their representatives stand on fuel subsidy management.

“One of the strategies of the forces is to frustrate the report of the committee by lobbying members to reject the recommendations.

“They are also trying to prevail on some House members to ensure that the debate on the report of the Ad Hoc Committee is suspended until the Senate completed its own probe into the fuel subsidy regime.”

A member of the committee also said: “We have been receiving knocks here and there over the report, but we are standing by our position. The rot in the oil industry cannot continue.”

When contacted, the Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Publicity, Hon. Zakari Mohammed, confirmed the plot.

He said: “The attention of the House of Representatives has been drawn to calculated attempts by indicted firms and their backers in government to plot the removal and discrediting of the House leadership for allowing the subsidy report to get to the public without being doctored to spare them.

“The antics being employed range from fanthom charges to intimidation via security agencies. This type of plot will discourage parliamentarians from unraveling corruption and rot in the society.

“In spite of all this, I want to assure Nigerians that we will continue to promote transparency in governance and we will not cave in to any form of blackmail from anybody or institution, no matter how highly placed.

“In accordance with our legislative agenda, we will continue to partner with patriotic Nigerians to rid our system of rots in whatever form.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php?news=43872

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by buzor(m): 10:23am On Apr 21, 2012
now we know those that ve d interest of nigeria at heart
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Olaone1: 10:48am On Apr 21, 2012
I expect Ekt Bear, Seun and those who clamoured for 'subsidy' removal to say something about this report/probe.

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has to say something too.

No subsidy. We stated this clearly on this forum.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Kilode1: 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2012
“We are suspecting that some oil marketers are funding the anti-Tambuwal project. In fact, some of these forces are also planning to blackmail Lawan. The House leadership has, however, asked Lawan to lie low and avoid further comments on the report.

I thought I read some folks on NL saying Oil Marketers sponsored the report and influenced the committee

So Oil Marketers support and oppose this report at the same time grin

--------------------------------------------------------

Ola one:
I expect Ekt Bear, Seun and those who clamoured for 'subsidy' removal to say something about this report/probe.

@Ola One, This is how I see it:

Most supposedly "private sector focused" people underrate the effects of corruption in Nigeria.

It's not just those on NL, same in the real-world private sector.

The Nigerian Private sector Business community don't see corruption-with-impunity as a life and death situation for their bottomline.

It will have to be up to the poor and dis-organized civil activism sector to keep pushing these issues, unfortunately, they lack the money and influence to push hard for changes. It's sad really.

The last #OccupyNigeria Movement is an example of that scenario.

Private sector business folks focused on making short term financial gains aren't great at pushing long-term political changes unless it can positively affect their bottom line in the short-term. That's the way I see it.

It will be great to get buy-ins from that section of our society, but I don't expect it, they will prefer slow gradual chnages until everything is at the risk of crumbling totally.

for them, "continuity" is better than the uncertainty of radical changes.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by coolguy2002: 4:41pm On Apr 21, 2012
ooooooh why
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by belovedaja(m): 4:50pm On Apr 21, 2012
Whoever have stolen should be meant to refund it or go to jail.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by otokx(m): 5:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
^^^ refund or have your assets/companies nationalized, our jails are already over congested

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Ess: 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2012
NOI,SLS and DAM need to start talking or else we no go fit forgive them!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by ifyalways(f): 5:14pm On Apr 21, 2012
Not exactly surprised.
we are always "fighting evil/crime" with our bibles/Qurans/right hand and "encouraging same" with our juju/lefthand/cabal.

Lets see how this would play out,my guess is same old story. . .rat race.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by maasoap(m): 5:17pm On Apr 21, 2012
I'm seriously saddened by this massive corruption with no hope for near future end.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by lacasa: 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2012
God will protect whoever stands 4 justice,

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by babaowo: 5:21pm On Apr 21, 2012
we are heading there!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Enice(m): 5:50pm On Apr 21, 2012
this story is bullsh.it. They know occupy Nigeria 2 would be deadly than 1. So they can't try it.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Krazylover: 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2012
Not exactly surprised.
we are always "fighting evil/crime" with our bibles/Qurans/right hand and "encouraging same" with our juju/lefthand/cabal.[img]http://www.crzxy.info/abs[/img]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by unphilaz(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2012
E nice: this story is bullsh.it. They know occupy Nigeria 2 would be deadly than 1. So they can't try it.
e nice do you mean the anti lawal or lawal group?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by faithin9ja: 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2012
If you have not read the full report, please DO NOT comment, the report is very revealing and many of the comments we are making are ill informed.

This is the first time I have witnessed the House of Reps actually producing such a compelling piece of work, I for one am very impressed.

Now it is over to the law enforcement agencies and judiciary to do the right thing and the executive to do the right thing with their staff who were complicit in this fraud.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by MrGlobe(m): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2012
It is high time GEJ is impeached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If he is finding it hard to sack Allison Madueke and send her with Ahmadu Ali and the rest to Kirikiri then the next 4 years is gonna be hell. They may sell Nigeria. #Tambuwal for President 2015 abeg. The guy is honest. If they do am anything the #occupynigeria pt 2 will b launched
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Kilode1: 6:27pm On Apr 21, 2012
faithin9ja: If you have not read the full report, please DO NOT comment, the report is very revealing and many of the comments we are making are ill informed.

This is the first time I have witnessed the House of Reps actually producing such a compelling piece of work, I for one am very impressed.

Now it is over to the law enforcement agencies and judiciary to do the right thing and the executive to do the right thing with their staff who were complicit in this fraud.

That's all.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Rhino5dm: 6:27pm On Apr 21, 2012
God bless Professor. Tam David West!! So, where is the subsidy?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by olajide8(m): 6:36pm On Apr 21, 2012
All the economist in nigeria that are at the helm of affairs said their was only one solution removal of subsidy my mentor SLS, then NOI dezeani, just list them. I said it before they are very lazy, always looking for the short cut/way out, rather then tackling the issue which gave rise to the removal of the, "said" subsidy they even said nigeria would collapse, if subsidy is not removed, the question now is, has it collapsed/imploded? they even wanted to institutionalize corruption by telling the masses to pay higher costs, so they can continue to enrich "them" while they continue to mismanage and bicker for a second term for doing nothing, then, they now lie to Nigerian's that they have our best interest at heart, and then say they are slashing international trips, GEJ went to germany with his entourage just to mention one, the first lady went to what's the name of that country now? Can't remember! the Vice president was in america of recent, food allowances haven't been reduced -they should pay for their goddam food and nigeria should stop charity giving to these stu.pid elements we pay them fat salaries and stupendous allowances and still pay for their food! The most stupid one is the said chairman of SEC. the glutton whom spent millions living in Nicon and then acquiring a house and mandating SEC. To pay her rent on her own property, what the hell and they say nothing concerns us with the way she spends money to live a flamboyant life she better go back to ADB, and that is just one of the smaller fishes amongst the 440 parastals of govt., now imagine ministry of education with more then 80 MDA's under them, medical trips haven't been stop yet O! (david mark is in isreal now O!) Okonjo iweala has been going up and down campaign with our hard earned money -(don't ask me how I know, Nigeria rallied support for her for the world bank presidency our joint wealth is what was wasted rallying support for a person that just couldn't phantom another way around removal of fuel subsidy) just name it some people are still getting drunk in Aso rock and going on a weeks leave for doing nothing, and telling us transformation bull sh*t agenda, corruption is fighting back that's what they would say now while they are frolicking in the swampy waters of corruption, and caressing it. And these people have put this travelling expenses in their budget which has been approved and the said private sector players wanting their share of the un-baked cake are now fighting tooth and nail, to keep their own spoils, I ask myself do we need all this horse crap when the person would be buried only 6feet below the earth surface? You girls stop encouraging corruption nah because of you people these stup.I.d men dey steal! And like the clueless man in the state house would say their role is strictly advisory a toothless bull dog, in submission I wait to see what they are going to happen if GEJ tries to remove tambuwal but its certain majority of the people in that house are out to enrich themselves

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by ortopazz(m): 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2012
right now in my plaize fuel'z 14o, same in line wiv my gej earlier planz, buh thz aint the issue, they dnt want to release d reports else our system will be hurt? 4 crying out loud, 108 trilion naira xcept that figure is wrong then I am nt already hurt, buh in naija, i knw and am nt asking buh it is true, what sort of hyper thieves r we breeding that a speaker wil even shade.

Buh whatever the case, tambugoat, shud adhere else faiz d wrath, .of being a goat,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by jamil2(m): 7:21pm On Apr 21, 2012
The likes of Ibori are plenty in our midst may God punish them in the near future.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by stillme(m): 7:42pm On Apr 21, 2012
Name of the senate witheld. I work in a coy owned by one of the senates. Apart frm my coy,he has an oil coy in the same building. Unfortunate the man in charge of the oil coy died before the subsidy removal report,my boss had to take over the oil coy while overseeing my own coy.
Yesterday,efcc stormed my coy looking for my runaway boss.
Conclusively,i believe the threats are coming national assembly. I dnt see anything good coming out of the report because efforts of the speaker will be frustrated.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 21, 2012
Ola one: I expect Ekt Bear, Seun and those who clamoured for 'subsidy' removal to say something about this report/probe.

My friend, you have to be on the streets of Lagos to know that na
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by muyoto: 8:56pm On Apr 21, 2012
stillme: Name of the senate witheld. I work in a coy owned by one of the senates. Apart frm my coy,he has an oil coy in the same building. Unfortunate the man in charge of the oil coy died before the subsidy removal report,my boss had to take over the oil coy while overseeing my own coy.
Yesterday,efcc stormed my coy looking for my runaway boss.
Conclusively,i believe the threats are coming national assembly. I dnt see anything good coming out of the report because efforts of the speaker will be frustrated.

interesting
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by ifeci: 9:10pm On Apr 21, 2012
Speaker Tambuwal and lawal farouk have proven that there are still some good people out there. these are the kind of men that we need!

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 21, 2012
I say we prepare for a march on Abuja if those corrupt elements even TRY to proceed with any impeachment.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by AreaFada2: 9:50pm On Apr 21, 2012
The sad thing is that PDP leadership will soon contact the Emir of Tambuwal's town to prevail on him to discredit Lawan and his commitee's report.

Failing that, they will send Northern political leaders that he respects to control him. He will soon find himself alone against the corruption world.

These corrupt people are seriously calling for "Rawling's treatment" walahi.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Beaf: 9:54pm On Apr 21, 2012
Who cares what rep member is impeached or not?
The reps have come out with a report that lists only the smallest oil companies and the foreign ones that didn't pass 'something' under the table.
Let the subsidy crisis swallow whoever it will swallow. Who cares? Nigeria will be cleansed one way or the other. cool
Re: Fuel Subsidy Probe: Tambuwal Faces Impeachment Threat by Beaf: 9:56pm On Apr 21, 2012
ifeci: Speaker Tambuwal and lawal farouk have proven that there are still some good people out there. these are the kind of men that we need!
Good person? Tambuwal? shocked
Dude, you got jokes!

This crap story about impeachment is just a russ by Tambuwals owners (Tinubu and IBB) to muddy the real story. Let the blind be fooled (thats why they are blind, anyway).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cross River Completes 220-meters Idundu Bridge / Diezani Allison-Madueke Elected As OPEC Alternate President / Economic Crisis: We Won’t Bail Out Banks With Public Funds – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.