Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

My Pre-eclampsia Story. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Pre-eclampsia Story. (21063 Views)

Pregnancy - Pre-eclampsia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by lovemoi: 1:44pm On Apr 24, 2012
Pls finish the story.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Mcfemad(m): 1:51pm On Apr 24, 2012
Ouch. Really feel sorry for the poster. I can't imagine myself shed tears after reading the story.
Ouch, the good LORD will comfort you and double your blessings IJN-AMEN!
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by lucious(f): 2:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
@ Poster, So sorry for the loss of your baby, the Lord will give you many more children. Thank you for standing by your wife these trying perion, God will bless and strenghthen you. It shall be well.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by tuby(m): 2:07pm On Apr 24, 2012
The story was actually touching. I say sorry for the loss and i pray that God will soothing your pains and answer you soon. Thanks for schooling us on this problem in pregnancy. Thanks.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by andyanders: 2:51pm On Apr 24, 2012
Take your wife for prayers. Please go to SCOAN Synagogue Church of All Nations and her problems will be over.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by loveheaven(f): 3:18pm On Apr 24, 2012
I trully am sorry for your loss, but believe you me, God will give you double for your loss. The devil has lost the battle, all the stress your wife will ever have with the rest of her pregnancies to come has gone with this one and God be praised forever.
Your wife's survival is an assurance of God's love and favour on your family. Don't despair, he knows all about our infirmities, so stand strong continuously in prayers and he will prove himself true. Remember he says you will be a joyfull Father of children and your wife a joyfull Mother as well, that your quiver will be full of them and they will surround your table, be strong knowing they are all on their way, to fill your home with joy and laughter, in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen.

1 Like

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 24, 2012
thank God for everything. Close to my own story. My wife case started after five months in pregnancy, from lantoro catholic hospital, abeokuta to private hospital in abule -egba, within 3 weeks, after that to blue cross hospital in ogba, where eventually admitted for over 2 weeks. Then problem started.... Bp shoot up to 185/110 minimum. Protein in urine close to 4, lost lucrative job due to constant absence in place of work. No body to help out as we were just starting live, me i have lost both my parents several years back. Then the bad news came. Letter to be refrared to teaching hospital, ikeja came. Got there in the evening, no space, no bed, saw how women were dying easiliy cos of pregnacy related issues easily. I Vowed that day, i will never beat my wife for any reason, if she suvived it. That was 2009. We waited till midnight before we got a space.
First 2 days was like hell. Couldnt sleep, infact 4 first four days. Bp refused to come down but shooting up, everything getting worse. Then on the 5th day of admission, she started coughing seriously, then went to comma, that was how she was on oxygen ,upon oxygen, about 6 bottles. It was serious. I thought i would die of stress,pains, fatigue and the like. I spent over 500k buying this, buying that, and they will never use them. Then they invited experts from IUC(intensive unit). We were told to deposit 1.5 million within 2 hours. Then i knew this is a big problem. A doctor friend, just called me besides, and made a statement that as a friend, i should just continue praying cos 1 out of 1000 survive when it gets to that level.
We invited pastors and pastors, that is what led us to be a member of MFM church.i did challeged God that day, that i never married to face this in the first year. Then i heard clarely that Son, go and eat and relaxed. I went to eat, in mammy market opposite the hospital, i ate pounded yam and i felt relaxed. Bought some for my mother in law who had been crying all day long It was serious, i mean serious. Thank God you brought it up @ op.
Finally she made it, started sweating seriously, she came out of coma, the baby, then 8 months, 3 day- dead in the womb came out by itself. It was a miracle. And within 2 days, every bp became normal. Professors even used my wife several times to do practical for students of someone who came out of pre eclamsia coma, after 3 days withou using oparation and iuc. I will never 4 get that incident, 3 years plus, now. We have a son now. People need more awareness. It has killed many would be mothers. But it will never be your portion IJN in case you are pregnant.

7 Likes

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by sunnshyn(f): 3:37pm On Apr 24, 2012
@ Op, I particularly enjoyed how u personalized(If that's the word) the whole situations...'we' were referred to another hospital,, 'We' went 4 scan,, it was 'Our' turn and all that. U R AN AMAZING MAN,, Wifey must be so proud of U. God sees and understnds, he'll definitely give u a problem-free child, one u'll be proud of very soon...my prayers r wit u and wifey! God bless U.

1 Like

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by vanitty: 3:38pm On Apr 24, 2012
It is well with you and yours In Jesus Name Amen.
God has the final say in everything.
The next pregnancy and the one after and the one after will go smoothly Amen
Your family shall never experience that sort of stress and pain again.
So sorry for your loss.
Really was hoping for a happy ending. It is well.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Africaine(f): 3:51pm On Apr 24, 2012
sorry for loss dear,the next one will ne twins and it will be seamless. just hold on to your faith,God can more,exceedingly more than we hope for.
thank you.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by amf(f): 4:44pm On Apr 24, 2012
Sorry 4 d lost; GOD will grant u lasting joy. Tanks 4 sharing ur story its really informative
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by agiboma(f): 5:09pm On Apr 24, 2012
Lexoria: @Poster: Wow, you and wifey are among the strongest and bravest in the world.My only pain is the fact that a situation like this could have ended well if it was abroad on a 90% chance.I'm a living testimony cos I would av been dead if I had my 1st child in Nigeria.
I was just shedding tears reading ur story cos I was relieving mine but it is well.You both conquered, a lot of couples couldn't .Your baby is coming!

Yes. I was in the same boat as you, me and my son are alive today because i was in Canada. It's my hope this country continues to advance in the care pregnant women receive.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by agiboma(f): 5:17pm On Apr 24, 2012
4bobo: thank God for everything. Close to my own story. My wife case started after five months in pregnancy, from lantoro catholic hospital, abeokuta to private hospital in abule -egba, within 3 weeks, after that to blue cross hospital in ogba, where eventually admitted for over 2 weeks. Then problem started.... Bp shoot up to 185/110 minimum. Protein in urine close to 4, lost lucrative job due to constant absence in place of work. No body to help out as we were just starting live, me i have lost both my parents several years back. Then the bad news came. Letter to be refrared to teaching hospital, ikeja came. Got there in the evening, no space, no bed, saw how women were dying easiliy cos of pregnacy related issues easily. I Vowed that day, i will never beat my wife for any reason, if she suvived it. That was 2009. We waited till midnight before we got a space.
First 2 days was like hell. Couldnt sleep, infact 4 first four days. Bp refused to come down but shooting up, everything getting worser. Then on the 5th day of admission, she started coughing seriously, then went to comma, that was how she was on oxygen ,upon oxygen, about 6 bottles. It was serious. I thought i would die of stress,pains, fatigue and the like. I spent over 500k buying this, buying that, and they will never use them. Then they invited experts from IUC(intensive unit). We were told to deposit 1.5 million within 2 hours. Then i knew this is a big problem. A doctor friend, just called me besides, and made a statement that as a friend, i should just continue praying cos 1 out of 1000 survive when it gets to that level.
We invited pastors and pastors, that is what led us to be a member of MFM church.i did challeged God that day, that i never married to face this in the first year. Then i heard clarely that Son, go and eat and relaxed. I went to eat, in mammy market opposite the hospital, i ate pounded yam and i felt relaxed. Bought some for my mother in law who had been crying all day long It was serious, i mean serious. Thank God you brought it up @ op.
Finally she made it, started sweating seriously, she came out of coma, the baby, then 8 months, 3 day- dead in the womb came out by itself. It was a miracle. And within 2 days, every bp became normal. Professors even used my wife several times to do practical for students of someone who came out of pre eclamsia coma, after 3 days withou using oparation and iuc. I will never 4 get that incident, 3 years plus, now. We have a son now. People need more awareness. It has killed many would be mothers. But it will never be your portion IJN in case you are pregnant.

ohhh my g-d i have heard about this also, OMG i really hope people become more aware of how dangerous this thing truely is. Thanks for sharing your story.

1 Like

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by agiboma(f): 5:18pm On Apr 24, 2012
Mods can you put this on the front page please this is a serious issue in pregnancy that really needs to be discussed and more people made aware of it.
Thanks
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Tsun(f): 5:35pm On Apr 24, 2012
Am crying already, May the Good Lord bless you my brother, someday i shall tell my own stroy on NL. pls when re you finishing the story. It is well with you ok!
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by afdman: 5:40pm On Apr 24, 2012
Thank you all, for your comments, it brought tears to my eyes and am in a public place. I couldn't help it. Yes it is well and am holding on the promise of God and having birth like the hebrew women for wifey. The story is ended, wifey survived it, she was induced that night and by friday after the still born baby and placenta came out. Now that was the painful part for me, that wifey still had to go through the pains of labour with no baby to show for it. I still remember when I went in to drop a blood result to the nurses, the doctors barely allowed me go out, when the said madam, oya its time. The way wifey screamed as they went about bringing the baby and the way i ran out of the labour ward.no you have to give it up to these women, no man can go into labour we were not built to handle such pain. Women I salute you. I will still come and drop words of advice on what to look for and what to do when you find yourself in this position. Thank you all for reading. It is well with you all, God bless you all amen

15 Likes

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by fuzek: 6:00pm On Apr 24, 2012
Wow,sad embarassed cry....May God comfort your family.

Studying these diseases is actually very different from being the patient involved. Well, this is a very good way to sensitize the public. Whoever said pregnancy isn't a big deal undecided Well what you must know is the Embryo acts like a cancer i.e it invades, feed & protect itself by the mother and then decreases immunity against 'itself'. So, its your responsibility to take care of yourself during this period. There are so many things to take note of during pregnancy but today, i'll stick to PIH (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension) is one of the major causes of death in maternal mortality, so let every woman out there take extra precautions. I will list below some of the risk factors and tests to make sure you get done when pregnant;

Risk Factors:

Nulliparous women influence by Parity, race, ethnicity, genetic predisposition

Chronic hypertension, multifetal gestation, maternal old age(>35 yrs), obesity, African, African-American ethnicity

Maternal weight and the risk of preeclampsia is progressive(try to control your weight during pregnancy)

Tests (or things to check):
- BP ≥ 160/110 mmHg (confirm with Roll-over test)
- Proteinuria 2.0g/24hrs or ≥2+dipstick
 - Serum creatinine >1.2mg/dl unless known to be previously elevated
  - Platelets < 100.000/mm3
  - Microangiopathic hemolysis (Increased LDH)
  - Elevated ALT or AST (Liver tests)
  - Persistent headache or other cerebral or visual disturbance
  - Persistent epigastric pain
- Persistent Edema/swelling

Minimum Criteria
  - BP ≥ 140/90 mmHg after 20 wks gestation
  - Proteinuria ≥ 300mg/24hrs or ≥1+ dipstick

I do not mean to lecture here tho' but this story touched me so much and I feel I should at least contribute in a little way to help someone out there. Btw, I have to state here that 'Salt Restriction' does not work in THIS CASE, if at all its recommended it's for Placebo. Lastly, to Doctors out there, any patient in such situation should please be given Magnesium Sulphate in addition to the other drugs, its not just for the treatment of Seizures in Eclampsia but it's very good as prophylaxis in Preeclampsia. I really hope this little information helps someone out there.

2 Likes

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by valencia25(m): 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2012
This Ebook contains lots of cure on health issues http://www.completehealthebook.com
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by prettiest1(f): 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
@ op, your story really touched me. I pray for you that a double blessing shall come to u.
Your wasted years shall be restored in hundred folds and your latter glory shall be greater than the past,
in Jesus name amen.
Even if u don't believe this,
it must happen so that u smile again.
God will do it for u in Jesus name, amen.U were just tempted to know ur faith in God but am assuring u, Jesus has conquered it all for u.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Ninapha(f): 7:49pm On Apr 24, 2012
God you are still faithful. Thank you for ur grace upon this family. You are God and u wd remain God to those that trust in you. This poster would come back here to give testimony of their new births IJN. Amen. At poster you are indeed a husband!

1 Like

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by penfold(m): 8:19pm On Apr 24, 2012
@adfman....Bruv,you are a real Man, and believe me,you are lucky!!
We lost a dear friend with the unborn baby 2yrs ago to this condition.
Please, you can help more pregnant people by raising the awareness.
There is an eclampsia foundation in Nigeria that was started in Memory of the dear friend....(Tokunbo Owolabi-Ukpoma) and am sure they will appreciate someone like you sharing this story at the talks and workshops for pregnant women.
Pls can u call Marshall Ukpoma on 08030450728, or send me a PM with your contact details.
In doing so you might be saving more than a life.
Peace

2 Likes

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by ekina(f): 8:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
i'm really 4 ur loss,God will compensate u on every side IJN.Amen.Sharing dis is awesome,u a true man.My regards 2 ur wife.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by kaynik(f): 8:31pm On Apr 24, 2012
How old is your wife? Did her mother have a similar experience during child delivery?
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by kaynik(f): 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2012
Really sad story, i'm sorry for your loss. women who may be predisposed to it should watch out.If the woman's mother has had pre eclampsia she may have it. Girls below the age of 19 and women over 35 years of age. Multiparous women(women who have had more than one child, multiple gestation( women pregnant with twins or triplets), women who have had a child for another man. These are a few risk factors. Most importantly women should take the ante natal care seriously.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Tiana155(f): 9:38pm On Apr 24, 2012
God is good
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by sadmama: 12:21am On Apr 25, 2012
Hummmm.....
I gave birth exactly a week ago and reading this story just made me realise how much i had taken the whole pregnancy and birthing experience lightly.
My goodness.. God would certainly give you more children,he knows best.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by cheezie: 12:50am On Apr 25, 2012
My pre-eclamppsia was brought on by multiple gestation and was also my first pregnancy. All was well with me, I did not have any morning sickness. I was about 30 weeks pregnant,after enjoying an outing with my friend I got home that evening and felt a tingling sensation at my lower back. It wasn't pain but it was weird so I reported to the hospital immediately. The doctor that saw me, examined me and said my cervix was dilating, I was in labour without knowing it, so I was admitted in order to stop the contractions. Babies were checked and were doing fine. Upon admission viltal signs were observed and behold BP was high. The battle started from then on. I Commenced bed rest and weekly ultrasound, the next week I went in for ultrasound the bad news came. Baby number 2 had no heartbeat. I did not believe my ears, I asked the doctor to to call the consultant to repeat the scan and he told me he did an accurate reading and the consultant will have the same result but I still insisted.I work in that hospital so I could ask for whoever I wanted. The consultant came and confirmed the result. We were devastated and it was not over because we still had baby number one still kicking but too early to be delivered especially in Nigeria the facilities for preterm care was not adequate. Had to continue on bed rest to give the other baby some weeks to mature. It was so scary for close friends and family who knew I was carrying one dead and one live baby within me for weeks. Six weeks later I went in for induction of labor and had my babies a dead fetus and a live one, mixed emotions but very thankful.
Pre eclampsia is dangerous. I lost quite a number of patients to this disease but in most cases the babies go before the mother. One big advice to women out there is to take their doctors orders seriously. You may not have any physical symptoms with your elevated BP like in my case and when absolute bedrest is prescribed please follow the order. I know a woman who lost ten pregnancies to this disease and the day she finally had a live preterm baby she was walking on the clouds. Inlaws had given up on her. With every pregnancy she practically lived in the hospital.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by Dblank(f): 2:19am On Apr 25, 2012
Dear poster, i thank you for sharing you story and pray that God will bring Joy to your heart and wifey. It is such a shame that for Pregnancy related incident as this, you had to go through several hospitals who had no idea of the symptoms and treatment, yet they call themselves hospitals.
As a parent myself, i can relate with the anxiety, pressure and stress u encountered and i hope that most men/husbands or prospective fathers will respect women who go through the delicate struggle of motherhood.
I want to use this medium to encourage us as people to try and inspect the Private hospitals, or health centres in our community in 9ja to ensure that they are equipped with facilities and competent people. Too many people die needlessly due to incompetence or lack of basic oxygen, which was the cause of death of a relative few years ago. I think they should be some sort of assessment or campaign to regulate the establishment of poorly run Private hospitals will no zeal to save life.
Secondly, as religions or faith based individuals, which should not only spend money on offering or pay tithe in our religious institutions and then expect God to save us or perform miracle when there is a medical crisis. The case of the 22 church members in Benue,who died after their church collapsed on easter sunday, shows that we all have a collective responsibility to ensure that basic well equipped hospital are within close proximity of where we live. I understand that some people will point to the responsibility of the govt to provide infrastructure and basic amenities.
But as the story of the poster shows, many private hospital, Doctors and medical practitioners in 9ja are clearly out of their depth and need retraining, or some form of programme to keep abreast of modern medicine, and early diagnosis of illness.
I personally think if there was healthy expansion of hospitals and educational centre as there are churches or Mosque - millions of lives will be saved,cherished and knowledge shared among all.

Please lets make it our responsibility to ensure that our Churches,Mosque, and community provides centres that deal with not only our spiritual demands but includes our health and emotional needs as well -given the huge money made from offerings from members. We should increase our
awareness of local hospital, be it private or public and know the competence of management or owners incase of emergency ?Is it well run and are medical staff competent and well trained. Are you confident of surviving at the hospital if you or a relative is refer during an emergency?

I also think legal action such as medical negligence or some form of sanctions should be taken against failing hospitals as a deterent to prevent fake mushroom hospitals and practitioners.

1 Like

Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by obillyj(f): 4:12am On Apr 25, 2012
Wow God is indeed faithful. There is nothing he cannot do. I already presume d story has a happy ending. I salute u for ur courage, strength, dedication, sacrifice n love u showered on ur wife n baby.u stood by them wen they needed u most. U re indeed a rare gem for it s only few men that can do that. Ur wife is a every strong woman.I pray she will never ve to go through that again in Jesus name. Your baby is a tough breed. A hard nut to crack. The little sweet chap is also putting up a strong fight. God indeed has a great thing in stock for him. U ve a family of strong people. That is a blessing.
Pls do give us the happy ending.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by obillyj(f): 4:26am On Apr 25, 2012
See how I was babbling with hope all made it alive. Am so sorry for all u had to go through because of failed medical care in Nigeria. Am sorry for you loss. Not to worry, life is d ultimate. God will provide another. Thanks to God fir sparing ur precious wife. Many in her shoes didn't make so my dear that s a reason to give thanks. At the appointed time God will prove himself faithful.
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by ohnana: 7:20am On Apr 25, 2012
Dispelling myths about preeclampsia. Nobody knows w it happens ut If you ave it a first time it puts you at risk for having it a second time. The only treatment for preeclampsia is delivering d baby. If you actually have a seizure then that is eclampsia and d baby needs to come out ASAP. Most hospitals give magnesium to control d blood pressure. Ad hold on for as long as possible but ultimately d baby needs to come out
Re: My Pre-eclampsia Story. by nottindome(f): 8:31am On Apr 25, 2012
olamide123: I have a story too and very long. I'm still in it waiting for it to be full. I know it will have a joyfull end aswell IJN
I say amen 2 it 4 u.i av a little similarity with afdma story.mine started during d 3rd(last) trimester.i was 2 wks 2 my edd wen i was placed on bed rest because of water retention.i had swollen legs,face and a high b.p,also trace of

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronavirus: All Three Suspected Cases Have Tested Negative / Coronavirus: Suspected Case In Enugu Tests Negative / COVID-19: Only 169 Ventilators In 16 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.