Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,860 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2264) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10413683 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2261) (2262) (2263) (2264) (2265) (2266) (2267) ... (19098) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 2:01pm On Oct 24, 2016
Funlordjnr:

Hmmmm....no be small wozing we collect for chelsea hand yesterday sha! But such is life, they were the BETTER TEAM and fully deserved those 3 points! That was pathetic from man united! Totally!

We have a lot of work to do, but I still trust jose and the boys to get us back into the champions league! At the same time beatdowns like this can sometimes inspire something in a squad and then they kick on and do big things, I hope this is the case...

Anyway nihilist your papa there!

**continues munching humble shawarma**

cry

Guy na like 12-0 we supposed give una, make una go share to the people wey dey housee.

You get luck say Conte na gentleman.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 3:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
airmark:

I want hazard to go la liga . Real Madrid . The environment will suit his game more. Just leave the neymar issue for now bro. Hazards last season's poor show gave even some Chelsea fans the right to call him out. Some barca fans have already started calling neymar names now. So shlts happen.
that last season performance is just the reason for their much noise.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Griffon(m): 4:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Those who have been watching footie long enough know how this game we love can be so cruel and also rewarding ..how it can give so much joy and also so much heart ache. As a fan of Chelsea FC since the early 90s one could rightly say I am one of the spoilt ones..i have had so much to celebrate and comparatively so little to mourn about. It is true that like Oliver Twist who always asked for more I am one of those who has despite all the good fortune we have seen as a club have dared to ask for and dream for even more but today I reached a place i seldom do as a footie fan..football nirvana.

Each of us can name those few moments when the proceedings of a footie match made you reach a level of pleasure that can simply not be surpassed by anything else in the realms of sport. I reached it when I saw the greatest national team in history beat Italy in the 1970 world cup at the majestic Azteca and get to keep the Jules Rimet cup for good. I reached it when the Dutch finally won something of substance for all their long history of flair and Jogo bonito during the euros when Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard finally broke through for L` Orange..I felt it for the Albi celeste when the other worldly genius of Diego Amendo Maradona made the 1986 world cup his own. Even when he sneakily ousted my Moms Home Country England with the now infamous Hand of God, just because I felt that his kind of genius simply deserved to reach the Zenith of achievement which he did against the mighty Germans again in that my familiar theater of dreams…the Azteca.

For Chelsea I felt it when the "little club" I had pledged my allegiances to just a few years earlier climbed to the zenith of club football and beat Mighty Real Madrid in the European Club Champions cup match, I felt it when not too long after we got a brash new Manager called Jose mourinhio, after our fortunes brought us along the path of a man called Roman Abramovic who became the new club owner ( rescuing us from looming financial doom) and how in absolutely dominant fashion we took the Premier league title in a fashion that made many open their mouths aghast. Suddenly the "little club" I had come to love when they had brought in Rudd Gullit, Zola and Vialli had now morphed from being one of the upper half tier teams to a behemoth of the prestigious English premier league. I felt it again as we retained the title the next year in essentially similar dominant fashion as I selfishly began to entertain wet dreams of a dynasty of domination similar to those that Liverpool and ManU had had from eras past.
But pride as the good book says goes before destruction and after these highs when football nirvana had become virtually the norm for me the years of drought and painful disappointment came. I didn`t feel that euphoria of football nirvana again till when a well cultured Italian gentleman took us on a swashbuckling run that brought us back to the zenith of what was now called the BPL and along the way had us hitting a league record of total goals scored. I had to wait after that for quite some time till 2012 when lady luck took a fancy on us and anointed one of our former legends Roberto Di Matteo as our next patron saint. In one of the most improbable scripts in our annals this pleasant gentleman who only got the job because no one else Roman wanted would accept such a poisoned chalice with a team presumed to be on its last legs did the nigh impossible winning a glorious double including the elusive "Rabbit ears" trophy.

This Sunday in just one match I revisited football nirvana again. Some may say it was just one match but this is not quite true. This was a huge statement match. We matched up against one of the two richest clubs in our league. We lined up against the club that spent the most this last transfer window by far..we matched up against that same Jose Mourinhio who would have all and sundry believe that the debacle that forced Roman to sack him a season ago had absolutely nothing to do with him; that he bore no blame. To see us win against this kind of opposition and to win so dominantly and so emphatically took me to football nirvana again but had even greater significance than just my delirious pleasure or that of the entire blue nation.

At the start of this season I indicated that I felt we were in real danger of not being able to finish in the top 4 because I felt that 3 of those 4 positions were essentially already taken leaving us to battle for the final position with 2-4 other teams and I didn`t fancy our chances as being very rosy. I had in those three guaranteed spots; ManU, City and the Gunners. Guys I am happy to say that I was wrong..with the season closing in on half way it really does appear that in fact there are only two locked up spots for those top 4; City and the gunners.
ManU are in trouble and Jose is one of the big reasons why. Despite the expense spent assembling his squad it was easily apparent today that this is a side of superstar individuals and not a coherent team. Jose was roundly outcoached today by Conte and the difference in commitment and desire between the two team of players was shocking to behold. Yes our players clearly had a chip on their shoulders and had a point to prove but the mediocrity Manu served up was a huge indictment on Jose.

As I look closely at ManU I now realize they are in greater danger of not finishing in the top 4 than we are. That they have the sapping effect of the Europa league that we don`t dosent help their cause and the temperament issues of Jose are already becoming obvious with the season not even half way through. Conte lost big games against the gunners and Liverpool. See how he handled himself with class and dignity..contrast that with the classless self centered comments Jose made to Conte because the man had the temerity to ask his home fans to cheer on his team ( the home team) that had put on an A plus performance against what was supposed to be a top 4 BPL team. Those who have known and observed jose as long as I have will acknowledge that the warning signs are already there for ManU. He is two to three more critical loses away from a total melt down and with matches against City in the EFL cup and the Gunners a little later in November don`t be surprised if things get really ugly for Jose and Manu real quick. We all know how Jose hates to have his methods and authority questioned abut unlike Chelsea FC ManU is full of footie royaty who have won big for ManU prior to Jose's coming..many of these guys wanted Ryan giggs not him...as the loses pile up get ready to see combustible situation erupt into a full fledged inferno before long. If Jose felt there were political machinations aligned against him at Chelsea FC he has not seen anything yet. Honestly if that happens I will shed no tears for Jose. All it will mean is that it improves our chances of comfortably securing a top 4 finish which for me is the number one goal and priority for this Conte`s first season after picking up the bits and tatters that Jose left him. Any thing else including one or two cup trophies he can garner will be extra icing on the main cake.

Yes it is only one game but it is games like this that give a team and manager self confidence that had hitherto eluded them and I suspect when the history of this season is finally written for Chelsea FC, whatever glory we can attain this season, any trophies we may be able to win (be it the EFL and/or the FA cup..i wont be so greedy to even bring myself to contemplate us winning the BPL..were we to do that I will immediately start a petition to have a stature of Conte erected at Stamford Bridge), we will all look back and recollect that the momentum really took of when we took the highly expensive "superstar ManU" team and their "super manager" to the cleaners at Stamford bridge with a team of bargain buys like Victor Moses, Pedro, Marcos Alonso and Cesar. It is a fitting testament to how much difference a manager can make that with just Alonso, Kante and Moses as the new additions to the starting eleven , Conte took essentially the same squad that Jose was leading to what looked like relegation disaster before Roman had to pull the plug and has turned the team around to a cohesive unit that now actually looks like each piece knows their place and part and role and the players are finally again looking like they are having fun while doing their jobs very well.

For all in the blue nation it a great day to be a Chelsea fan and long may it continue. I raise my glass of non alcoholic beverage to all you my fan mates ..to even better days for the Chelsea..to more days of football Nirvana for us. Forza Conte!!! KTBFFH!!!
Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=572920#ixzz4O14Ba38F

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2016
Nihilist:

I think there was a former Bayern keeper that offed himself too.

Mental health support is very good and widely available either privately or on the NHS. I just don't understand how the PFA allows these guys to slip through the cracks.

Robert Enke is his name. Former Mochengladbach, Barcelona Hannover goalkeeper who jumped in front of a train in 2009
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Chestar5(f): 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
Griffon:

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=572920#ixzz4O14Ba38F

i thoroughly enjoyed d article nd i dnt even know y i did :*
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 5:04pm On Oct 24, 2016
raumdeuter:

Robert Enke is his name. Former Mochengladbach, Barcelona Hannover goalkeeper who jumped in front of a train in 2009

Damn

In front of a train. I can't imagine the kind of depression that would drive such a horrible decision

May his soul RIP.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chrisley024(m): 5:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Nawa for you guys! Person no go play with una again?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Chelseafan1: 7:18pm On Oct 24, 2016
Chestar5:
Bigkesh remember ur promise to get a conteholic account if cfc wins man u.... cheesy

Hehehehe....i remembered last season when Mou just signed for Man Utd and how bigkesh was always scared Mou wud destroy us when we meet Man Utd.....cheesy

Second leg is gonna be a tough game though.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kenekene1(m): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2016
Guys, let me ask a question. Do you think Jose Mourinho will survive this season? Because he looks like his frustrated and we all know how he treats his frustration.

Anyway, my thoughts on Chelsea's victory.

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/10/premier-league-my-thoughts-on-chelseas.html?m=1

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Chestar5(f): 7:46am On Oct 25, 2016
Zouma izz back cheesy!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 10:36am On Oct 25, 2016
Chestar5:
Zouma izz back cheesy!!
It's really nice to have him back. But azpi has been putting in a nice shift, I wonder if he would be relegated to the bench.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Tomtoxic: 11:15am On Oct 25, 2016
donjazet:

It's really nice to have him back. But azpi has been putting in a nice shift, I wonder if he would be relegated to the bench.
I believe the back 3 have finally found rhythm and content wouldn't want to disturb that so zouma starts on the bench for now

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 11:20am On Oct 25, 2016
Tomtoxic:

I believe the back 3 have finally found rhythm and content wouldn't want to disturb that so zouma starts on the bench for now
Although I wouldn't mind cahill getting his azz glued to the bench.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 11:24am On Oct 25, 2016
Analysing Antonio Conte’s 3-4-3 System And How It Has Emboldened Chelsea

Antonio Conte became the latest Premier League manager to implement a back three in a bid to revive his Chelsea side’s fortunes. Three games on from the change in system and the revival appears complete, with three wins, nine goals for and none against tangible proof of a significant upturn in form.
The latest result, a 4-0 hammering of a beleaguered Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United at Stamford Bridge last Sunday, was particularly noteworthy. Within the first minute, Chelsea were 1-0 up. That early start was, for some pundits, nonsensically the most important factor in the end scoreline. Yet scoring so soon has traditionally been seen just as much as a curse as it has been a gift.
But, while they were glossed over, Conte’s tactics were hugely significant on the day, just as they had been before and will continue to be going forward.

Considering that the 3-4-3 isn’t even the most popular three-man defence system seen in the Premier League, a league with no proclivity whatsoever for three-man defence systems, it has had little air time in the competition’s history. However, it did come to some prominence fairly recently during Brendan Rodgers’ time at Liverpool.

Rodgers’ used the 3-4-3, or 3-4-2-1 depending on how detailed you like your formations to be, to arrest a slump in form as his Liverpool team struggled on the back of their ultimately unsuccessful 2013-14 title challenge. He was inspired to use the system following a trip to face Paulo Sousa’s Basel in Champions League action, a match Liverpool lost 1-0.
Sousa went on to utilise the same 3-4-3 shape with Fiorentina in his debut term as a coach in Serie A last season. It was incredibly effective in the early stages of the campaign, with Fiorentina establishing themselves as early Scudetto contenders after a stunning 4-1 away victory over Inter Milan. That match mirrored Chelsea’s win over Manchester United as an advert for the 3-4-3 system and the benefits it can bring.
The basic components of the formation include one central defender and two ‘outside’ central defenders, who often pull wide into the inside channel. Then there are two shuttling central midfielders capable of operating effectively in all phases, two attack-minded wing-backs, two floating inside or wide forwards, and one striker charged with leading the line.

Conte has been aided in implementing the 3-4-3 by the personnel available, many of whom suit the aforementioned roles. As shuttling central midfielders go, few are more shuttle-y than N’Golo Kante and Nemanja Matic. Marcos Alonso actually played for Sousa’s Fiorentina as a left wing-back, while Victor Moses combination of energy, speed and work ethic make him a viable candidate for the right-sided berth. Eden Hazard thrives when given license to create in and around the final third, something his new position affords him, while Diego Costa has the technical and physical characteristics to act as the attacking spearhead.
And, when it all comes together, as it has done for Chelsea in recent weeks, the system can prove devastating.
Average Chelsea positions versus Manchester United.
Average Chelsea positions versus Manchester United (via Whoscored.com)

Firstly, it is difficult to press effectively. The back three offers a basic numerical superiority that enables successful build-up, while possession is only improved by the triangle and diamond patterns that arise naturally from the rough positioning of all players within the 3-4-3.

Examples of these with Chelsea can be found on the right, where a diamond forms between right centre-back Cesar Azpilicueta, Moses, Kante and right-sided forward Pedro, and on the left between left centre-back Gary Cahill, Alonso, Matic and Hazard. These patterns ensure the ball-player always has at least two diagonal passing options. For instance, Cahill can play diagonally wide to Alonso or inside to Matic. And, should those options not be available, a vertical pass in the channel to Hazard is possible, as it was for Chelsea’s opener last Saturday.

The movement of the inside forwards – Hazard and Pedro in Chelsea’s case – can also be problematic for opposition back fours. Should they choose to man-mark, as Manchester United did, this only creates extra space behind for runners and/or Costa to exploit. Alternately, should they stay deep and form a compact four, this gives Hazard and Pedro time to receive, turn, run at the defensive line and commit players.
Whether Conte’s 3-4-3 succeeds in the long run will depend on the approach of opposing sides and how he reacts to them. It’s a unique system, which means that sooner or later it will be given specific scrutiny by rivals. Teams may now look to sit and neutralise Chelsea through a compact defence before countering through the space vacated down the flanks. Or they may decide to pack the midfield and overload Kante and Matic.

Conte has used the formation well, just as Rodgers did before him, to turn around his team’s form. The challenge for him now is to win with the system over a concerted period of time.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Tomtoxic: 11:41am On Oct 25, 2016
donjazet:
Although I wouldn't mind cahill getting his azz glued to the bench.
same thing on my mind bro.personally I feel he is just an average defender
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by DammyOlu123(m): 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2016
All these rumors of Aguero being unsettled and dropping down the pecking order in Man City... I, for one, would love to have him over at CFC. It may just be sentiment, but I feel his style of play, and the extreme danger he poses on the edge of the box would benefit any team, especially one containing Costa waiting in the box, looking to poach anything that comes near him.
The tactical dilemma would be a nice one for Conte to have.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kolade354(m): 2:02pm On Oct 25, 2016
DammyOlu123:
All these rumors of Aguero being unsettled and dropping down the pecking order in Man City... I, for one, would love to have him over at CFC. It may just be sentiment, but I feel his style of play, and the extreme danger he poses on the edge of the box would benefit any team, especially one containing Costa waiting in the box, looking to poach anything that comes near him.
The tactical dilemma would be a nice one for Conte to have.
Man city won't sell him,even if they will they won't sell him to another epl team.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2016
Do Fabregas, Oscar have a place in Conte’s new system?

Chelsea’s impressive run of victories since switching to a 3-4-3 formation reached new heights after their biggest and arguably most important victory of the season; a 4-0 drubbing of Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United.

It is the system that we all expected to see when Antonio Conte first took the reins at Stamford Bridge, but for one reason or another it has taken up until a few weeks ago for the Italian coach to introduce what is believed to be his preferred formation at Chelsea.

Few could argue though that the switch to 3-4-3 was well worth the wait as Chelsea have been seriously impressive, earning them consecutive wins and clean sheets since it was first implemented against Burnley.

The clash against Manchester United was supposed to be the first real testing fixture for the new system, but there was no evidence of any troubles as the Blues breezed past the The Special One’s very unspecial side on Sunday.
Conte is very consistent with his selection, as even captain John Terry has spent his time on the bench since his return from injury last week. There wasn’t one bad performance in a Blue shirt on Sunday and every player deserves the place in the side they are playing so well to keep. However two players who may find it particularly difficult to force a way into the side are Oscar and Cesc Fabregas.

The two of them are similar in the position that they play, both can play and could count the number 10 role as their most influential position, however they have both played a little deeper in the past – Fabregas was very often used deeper alongside Matic in Chelsea most recent league triumph two seasons ago.
However it was Oscar who was given the nod over his Spanish teammate in a similar position earlier on this season.
In the new system, Matic and Kante seem to be two of the first names on the team sheet. Both are well able to play a holding role but possess ample quality to effect the game further up the pitch, made evident by Matic topping the league’s assist chart and Kante’s wonderfully-crafted goal at the weekend. What is perhaps most attractive to Conte though is their industry, enabling them to be complete midfielders.

Fabregas and Oscar obviously have a lot to offer in the attacking third, but they are perhaps not as influential defensively. That is not to suggest that the two aren’t competent in a deeper role, but creating as opposed to preventing goals is what both are better known for. Oscar is an especially good tackler, perhaps somewhat insidiously considering his slender frame, but he has never really been employed as a holding midfielder.

As previously mentioned, the two have far more experience playing further up the pitch, as an attacking midfielder or a number 10. But does that position really exist in Conte’s 3-4-3? The two players deployed between the midfield and the lone striker at the moment are more direct than both Oscar and Fabregas, who could both be considered more traditional playmakers.

Hazard, Willian and Pedro, the players in contention for the two roles behind Costa, are all equally inept playing wide and cutting in as well as in the hole behind the forward.Oscar has played on the left of an attacking three in the past, but his impact on the game is limited there. Fabregas has also formed part of a front three before, playing a false 9 position for Barcelona and the Spanish national side, but again it is far from his best position.

The two of the players in question still have so much to offer the team. Though it is true that the system Conte is using at the moment is his favourite and probably the strongest, that is not to say it will always be the best option.

Chalobah has been used from the bench in recent matches, replacing one of the front three to sure up the midfield, but if Chelsea were to find themselves chasing the game, Oscar and Fabregas might be preferred to add a little more creativity. Every team needs a plan B and it shows the strength of the squad to be able to call on reinforcements such as Oscar and Fabregas as an alternative option.

The big question is whether there is space for both. It has been clear since the beginning of the season that Conte doesn’t want to play the pair at the same time, with Oscar seeming to have the edge from the manager’s point of view. Now both men will struggle to find a place in the starting 11, and both offering a similar option, it might result in one losing his place in the squad.

Fabregas missed Sunday’s game through injury whilst Oscar was an unused substitute after returning from compassionate leave. Antonio Conte Stating his desire for both to stay earlier in the season has done very little to deflect the rumours linking the Brazilian and Spaniard with moves away from West London, but it is still at an early stage of a long season and the pair could yet prove pivotal in Chelsea’s title challenge.

But with a change of style that favours neither player, there could be uncertainty in their futures at the Bridge.

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2016
3-4-3, Conte and Chelsea’s new found love

The night Antonio Conte and Chelsea’s playing body had a talk about their future plans of stifling teams and winning with style, was the night after the miserable loss to Arsenal. Chelsea had to find a new way and it would have to come immediately.

Roman Abramovich was the most concerned onlooker. He would not just relax in his expensively built box at Stamford Bridge; rather he tromped Cobham, searching for answers and speaking in a casual yet instructive manner with Conte to get results ASAP.
The season had began in the edgiest of ways. Two late strikes by Diego Costa against West Ham and Watford and a more convincing victory over Burnley preceded the turmoil that will will dictate Chelsea’s new found style.

Swansea, Liverpool and Arsenal took turns at constraining the Blues to drop points in three consecutive games. The alarms had sounded. Victories seemed so far away, there were concerns, the dark days under Jose Mourinho last term will resurface.
If anyone had been under pressure, it was Conte than anyone else in the Premier League – well let’s reserve some mention for David Moyes at Sunderland.
The Italian tactician having rehearsed so well a three-man defense system at Juventus and Italy will revert to his safe haven and try to drag Chelsea into – what will be – a fearsome side.

Games against Hull City, Leicester Ciy and Manchester United will follow. Conte took a risk, but a calculated one. After all he had nothing to lose, having lost previous games in a horrifying manner.
So Gary Cahill, David Luiz and Cezar Azpilicueta will be trusted to lay the needed foundations for N’Golo Kante and Matic to feed off, Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso to blow opponents wide open as wing backs and Eden Hazard and Pedro to express themselves while creating for the efficient Costa.

So good were they on the pitch, you’d wonder what had happened to them earlier. Conte had found a new way for his side to dominate games and win ultimately.
The main aim of the new setup is to shut shop. Conte’s side had conceded nine goals in six games and something needed to give. Branislav Ivanovic was one of the sacrifices. He was so woeful against Liverpool and Arsenal, he had to be benched for the first time in the Premier League in over three seasons.

Then the master creator, Cesc Fabregas. In the array of talents Conte has at his disposal, very few of his men can thread passes in the tiniest of spaces like the Spaniard and yet he was dropped out of the first 11 because he plainly lacks the energy required to play in a two-man midfield.
His passing rage sacrificed for the more energetic and defensively disciplined pair of Kante and Matic in central midfield.

As Moses and Alonso hug the touch lines and open up play, stretching the opposition to a great effect, the Kante-Matic unit is tasked to break up play, move forward ONLY when required to. This helps Chelsea tighten the middle of the park when Hazard and Pedro play as inside forwards, opening up the flanks for the wing backs to latch on to.
The first and third goals against Man United evidently shows how drilled this Chelsea side are with the new 3-4-3 system and how they now love to play according to Conte’s specific instructions.
The fans are the happiest in the early stages of the new shape.

Now that we’ve mentioned the fans, let’s discuss how they treated their old and first love – Jose Mourinho.
There werent many moments in the game that gave the impression Chelsea’s fans were not over Mourinho. He had come twice and been sacked twice. Their feelings about him had to be let go and focus on helping another tactician create a legacy at SW6.

“You’re not special anymore” could be heard in dinky sections at the Bridge but nothing that would make Jose weep at night. At most Cheslea fans will give bit-loud cheers at the Portuguese but that’s as far as their chants will go. No more.
They know it’s time to support a new king. They know it’s time to get together and help Conte marvel his top flight opponents with the cattiness that besets them when he starts jumping up and down the touch line area, as the men in blue score winners and celebrate near corner flags. The Chelsea fans certainly know it’s the beginning of a new era, an era that has no Jose Mourinho writings on it.

A new relationship is unfolding at Stamford Bridge, Conte the lovely bride that seeks the attention of her groom; Luckly, after the talk at night, both are moving on to happier places.

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 3:00pm On Oct 25, 2016
Pat Nevin: United as one

Former Chelsea winger Pat Nevin was one of many captivated by our performance on Sunday against Manchester United, and in his latest column he explains why there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic looking further ahead, as well as highlighting the importance of the connection between players and supporters…

It is not often that you can say everyone on the team got at least an 8.5 out of 10 but that was certainly the case against Manchester United at the weekend. From Courtois to Costa the work rate was impeccable, the organisation faultless and the skill levels of the very highest standard. It has been quite a renaissance in the last three games since the move to a 3-4-3 formation against Hull City and long may it continue.
Gary Cahill grew in stature and even chipped in with a vital goal at a crucial time. David Luiz was consistently sensible with only the yellow card giving a moment of concern, while Cesar Azpiliueta was bordering on super human with his challenges and breaks from the back. From right full-back to left- back and now right centre-back in a three, he not only never lets you down but appears to grow in stature with every added challenge. Having that versatility is like having two extra players in the squad. I actually think he deserved a perfect ten for his performance at the weekend.

Pedro’s interceptions were extraordinary as well and of course his early goal set the tone for thematch. We knew he was quick but his sharpness was a step above anything he has shown for the club in his time here to date. Talking of super humanity, N’Golo Kante basically bullied the most expensive player in the world from start to finish before scoring a classic himself just to round off a perfect afternoon’s work. Eden Hazard again effortlessly cruised past defenders at will, particularly when he scored his goal. The new system probably suits him more than anyone else; he now receives the ball much higher up the field and has less distance to travel and fewer players to beat as he creates his mayhem.
All of this is going on without using Oscar, Cesc, JT, Brana and only giving Willian a very welcome late runout. It is of course also worth noting that Antonio Conte comprehensively out-thought one of the great tactical coaches in football history.
"Chelsea have finally arrived back in the title race after a year off and few watching would argue against the idea that this sort of performance smacks of a team heading back towards the Champions League at the very least."
-
One of the moments that will live long in the memory was when Conte decided after 88 minutes his team deserved to be hailed by everyone at the Bridge. The singing had been exceptional throughout but it had just gone a little quieter though not from the United end. But the boss wanted to make sure the players, and the opposition players as well I suspect, knew just how big a performance and result this was. The reaction was immediate and prolonged. Instead of some fans filtering out to get an early tube or beat the traffic, most stayed and cheered the team to the end and off the pitch.

It felt like a special moment and another connection built between the staff and the fans. Just like the moment against West Ham when Antonio wildly celebrated the winner, underlining how the manager wants to see his own passion reflected in the stands as well as on the field. There was of course the other moment at the end when words were exchanged between Jose and Antonio, or more correctly Jose said a few words in Antonio’s ear. His reaction when asked about it was to say it was a meant as a private comment and as such it should stay private. It may frustrate many but from my point of view it was utterly classy from the Italian.

So the stats from the last three games are looking pretty good and the league table is looking ultra-healthy. There are also a host of top players ready and waiting to get back into the team and I suspect they are all desperate to do so. It seems common these days that some top footballers who aren’t playing week in week out want to get a transfer as soon as possible. At one level it is perfectly understandable. It is a short career and you want to play as much as possible when you can, it is a laudable attitude. The one time when players do not want to leave is when they are watching something they think might be special and they desperately want to be part of it going forward. I think that is what we have at Chelsea right now, a group who want to buy into something that is growing. Long may that spirit reign as all the players will be needed throughout the season in the league as well as hopefully during the long cup runs.

This brings us on to West Ham tomorrow night and the decisions to be made regarding the starting line-up. There is no obvious right or wrong decisions regarding resting players or giving others such as JT some game time to renew their match fitness. Should there even be a starting opportunity for one of or two of the kids or should we be going all out to win this competition and as such staying with the same team and the same system? However the manager approaches it there is one thing that is for certain, it will be a starting 11 he thinks can win the game and can take us into the next round.

The reason why I would not have a strong opinion either way is I, like many Chelsea fans, am enjoying being surprised by the manager and his decisions. The side that is currently on a three-game winning streak is probably one I might never have chosen to start a game. The boss trusted Moses and Alonso to do jobs that you would not have immediately associated them with, in a system rarely used by anyone in the history of the Premier League. So maybe there will be a few surprises at West Ham and some players will be forced into learning a few new things. Those of us watching on may learn some new stuff as well, and being educated, let us remember, is rarely a bad thing.

CLUB'S OFFICIAL SITE

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2016
Antonio Conte's tactical tinkering at Chelsea is a reminder of a good manager's worth.

Antonio Conte has done coaches everywhere a huge service in a fortnight that has not only revealed his influence but also reminded us that the job is not just about man-management.
After a decent start to his tenure, Conte lost his way with back-to-back Premier League defeats to Liverpool and then Arsenal, the latter a 3-0 dismantling. Suddenly the team looked directionless, and it was a surprise to see him struggling so soon.

I take my hat off to him for what he did next. A lot of managers would have kept beating the same drum but he stopped, asked himself how he could get the best out of his players, and set about correcting it.
That loss to Arsenal spelled the end of his use of a 4-1-4-1 formation. A trip to Hull offered a good opportunity to experiment with a 3-4-3 system – and he and Chelsea haven’t looked back.

The Blues have scored nine and conceded none in their last three games, culminating in Sunday’s incredible 4-0 win over Manchester United. Conte hasn’t just steadied the ship; he has set the bar.
Moses masterstroke
Tactically, he has got it spot-on. He is where Jose Mourinho would love to be with United. Chelsea are back playing fast, dynamic football that maximises the effectiveness of the players at his disposal.
Eden Hazard has been freed up to be more of an attacking threat with fewer defensive duties, while the system has made a mockery of David Luiz’s critics; the Brazilian fits well into a three-man defence.

Who would have thought of recalling Victor Moses? Yet the winger has been a revelation as a wing-back, and even Pedro, a makeweight for much of his time at the club, looks reinvigorated
he squad must be looking forward to every game; the challenge now is to sustain the improvement. After a tricky spell they have winnable games against West Ham, Southampton and Middlesbrough on the horizon.

Chelsea are fourth, which is about where I expected them to be at this stage, but they are probably a little ahead of schedule in terms of their development.
Conte doesn’t always impress me in interviews but the players seem to have wholeheartedly bought into his plans. When you have man-management plus tactical awareness, you’re onto something.
[/font]

http://www.cityam.com/252246/antonio-contes-tactical-tinkering-chelsea-reminder-good

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 7:32pm On Oct 25, 2016
How has a tactical change ushered in the start of a new era at Chelsea?

While Antonio Conte was urging the Blues crowd to cheer for their team towards the end of a 4-0 humiliation of Manchester United, a sense of satisfaction swept across Stamford Bridge; Chelsea had finally stepped out from under the shadow of former manager Jose Mourinho to begin the dawn of a new era.

Far too many managers had come and gone, trying to stamp their identity on the club; the Italian head coach has succeeded where they all had failed. This was now HIS Chelsea.
As a deeply passionate man, Antonio Conte’s managerial style is typified by his tactical nous to instil into his teams the defensive solidity combined with a direct attacking style of play. His teams need to work hard and be disciplined, with and without the ball.
His philosophy has worked wonders with his previous teams, and is now beginning to show at the Bridge. He inherited a side fraught with uncertainties after an abysmal 2015-16 season, and had to bring together the team and fans for a common cause.

Under the new manager, the West London club initially persisted with the mundane 4-2-3-1 system, which had been fairly effective under former management. Harrowing losses against Liverpool and Arsenal forced the Italian to switch to a more preferred and exciting 3-4-3 formation.
Having previously been successful with a variant of the 3-5-2 structure at Juventus and then with Italy, this was right in his comfort zone. After three successive thumping victories against champions Leicester, Hull City and Manchester United, the decision to change his tactical set up has been vindicated.

As defensive mainstay John Terry was out injured, Chelsea played with David Luiz, Gary Cahill and Cesar Azpilicueta as the three central defenders. This tactical formation requires the back three to hold their shape while defending, and also provides an additional player to deal with opposition forwards.

David Luiz seemingly lacks the patience and concentration required for a defender; this structure allows the Brazilian to roam forward in attack as the two remaining center-backs provide cover for counter attacks. With his passing range, he can also spray long balls bypassing the midfield directly to the strikers.
In modern times when ball playing center-backs are the fashion, Terry remains the epitome of a traditional no-nonsense player and has been the most consistent Blues defender. To accommodate Terry into this system when he returns to fitness would be one of the pleasant challenges for Conte.

Wing-backs Marcos Alonso and Victor Moses have been tasked with heavy attacking and defensive responsibilities, going up and down the flanks. Having spent two seasons in Italy, Alonso looks to have developed as a quality defender; additionally, his attacking prowess was on display against Manchester United when he launched a long ball onto the path of Pedro for his early goal.

Moses has been handed a new lease of life at Chelsea under Conte and has been putting in impressive performances on the right flank so far. However, it remains to be seen if he is just as comfortable defensively against faster attacking wingers.
Nemanja Matic and N’Golo Kante patrol the central midfield, providing additional defensive strength to the team. Kante has been allowed the freedom to play the role of a box to box midfielder, and has since been able to replicate his form of last season. Matic is the midfield enforcer and the shield ahead of the defensive men.

Despite the positives, Chelsea still lack a spark of creativity from the midfield and might find it difficult to break down stubborn defenses. Cesc Fabregas, one of the most creative players in the squad, will also need to earn a place in the first eleven.
Form of the attacking players – Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro – has been the biggest positive of the new system. The wing-backs allow the two attacking players to take up more central positions close to the striker, and have a more influential role in the game.

Blues striker Diego Costa has been in immense form since the start of the season, but having Hazard and Pedro more mobile has seen an increase in the number of scoring chances. The Belgian, particularly, seems to have rediscovered his golden touch from the title winning season of 2014-15.

The new look side seems to have found the right balance between attack and defense. Although far from the finished product, as the manager and his system evolve, Chelsea FC will finally look to have found their niche in the English Premier League.

http://tbrfootball.com/how-has-a-tactical-change-ushered-in-the-start-of-a-new-era-at-chelsea/

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by timbros(m): 8:29pm On Oct 25, 2016
I hope we give our youth players chance like this tomorrow.

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by bigkesh(m): 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2016
Chestar5:
Bigkesh remember ur promise to get a conteholic account if cfc wins man u.... cheesy
Like hell I am getting it....my next post will be from my new account
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 10:44pm On Oct 25, 2016
Just wishing that we would win the league with this our new formation before our rivals will find a way around it.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 10:49pm On Oct 25, 2016
"I have read that, for them at Chelsea, I
was too young, but in my mind you are
never too young. If you are ready, you are
ready.
"I think Eden Hazard was the same age as
me when he played so it is a little bit
strange to say this guy is young and the
other guy is old enough to play.
"It is just another way of saying that
somebody is not good enough."

www.m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4071/premier-league/2016/10/25/28828272/de-bruyne-i-have-no-grudges-against-mourinho
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 1:45am On Oct 26, 2016
timbros:
I hope we give our youth players chance like this tomorrow.

Definitely not!! I don't think we have any excuse for trying to undermine the cup. We don't have any European football or any very difficult fixture coming up soon, i am of the opinion we use a strong starting lineup in order not to lose the match.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by timbros(m): 5:08am On Oct 26, 2016
donjazet:

Definitely not!! I don't think we have any excuse for trying to undermine the cup. We don't have any European football or any very difficult fixture coming up soon, i am of the opinion we use a strong starting lineup in order not to lose the match.

...................Begovic................
........Azpi.....Terry......Cahill
Aina...Chalobah...Cesc...Alonso
......Willian...Bats...Solanke

That you are not playing European football doesn't mean you shouldn't give youth a chance. After the high level performance against United, some of these players need rest. Don't forget that the league is our main priority: to finish as high as possible in the table.

Rest key players for the next EPL game. Southampton ain't a walkover.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Chelseafan1: 5:55am On Oct 26, 2016
timbros:

That you are not playing European football doesn't mean you shouldn't give youth a chance. After the high level performance against United, some of these players need rest. Don't forget that the league is our main priority: to finish as high as possible in the table.

NO space for Mikel sadsadsad
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 11:11am On Oct 26, 2016
timbros:

I doubt cesc can do what's required in this formation. Anyways fingers crossed. In conte we trust cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by SailorXY: 11:16am On Oct 26, 2016
Tval:
You say cheesy
grin grin
No wahala. First blood to Chelshit, Mourinho will have his pound soon enough cool
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2016
I can understand his predicament. Given the choice of a bench in Spain or a bench in England, I would probably choose Spain too...especially when medals are still guaranteed to even the most static benchwarmers at Barca

I still hate fools like these who don't seem to know that you don't have to be so openly vocal about your (dis)loyalties though...

Chelsea forward Pedro has revealed that he discussed leaving the club for Barcelona over the summer.

Pedro struggled during his first season in England after being bought by Jose Mourinho, but scored the opener against Manchester United on Sunday.

The Spain international told Catalan radio station RAC-1 that he would like to return to Barcelona, but is glad that he stayed at Chelsea.

“I spoke to (Josep Maria) Bartomeu (president of Barcelona) and it looked as though I’d return to Barcelona last summer, but I think the talks were given more importance than they really had.”

“It is difficult to return, even with everything you remember from your old club.

“If you asked me if I’d like to go back, my answer is obvious, because it is a great club where I have great team-mates and a fanbase that appreciates me.

“I’ve always said I’d like to retire at Barcelona but it is very difficult, almost impossible at this point.”

(1) (2) (3) ... (2261) (2262) (2263) (2264) (2265) (2266) (2267) ... (19098) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Sarsaproko, nihilistjnr and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.