Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,590 members, 7,801,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

The Fallacy Of "Free Will" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Fallacy Of "Free Will" (4599 Views)

The Fallacy Of Yearly Prophecies By Major HoAs / The Fallacy, Folly And Fault Of Nigerian Christians / The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by emofine2(f): 9:51am On Apr 22, 2012
According to certain theological dogma every human being is granted “free-will” by God; the right to make our own choices with no interference or influence.

But when the only available options are limited is it still a free choice or simply a dilemma?

When there is a gift and penalty attached to those narrow options, is that not supposed to influence our decision?

When one is confronted by only two possibilities - eternal subjugation or perpetual torture - where exactly does “free will” feature if one will be condemned for a particular “choice”?

Are we not thus coerced into making a particular decision?

2 Likes

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ea7(m): 10:02am On Apr 22, 2012
emöfine2: According to certain theological dogma every human being is granted “free-will” by God; the right to make our own choices with no interference or influence.

But when the only available options are limited is it still a free choice or simply a dilemma?

When there is a gift and penalty attached to those narrow options, is that not supposed to influence our decision?

When one is confronted by only two possibilities - eternal subjugation or perpetual torture - where exactly does “free will” feature if one will be condemned for a particular “choice”?

wait for the apologists to land
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by 2good(m): 10:08am On Apr 22, 2012
emöfine2: According to certain theological dogma every human being is granted “free-will” by God; the right to make our own choices with no interference or influence.

Free will doesn't make sense if God is omniscience and knows all things from the beginning to the end because that will also means he knew the devil was going to rebel against him before he created him and still went ahead to create the devil. He also knew whether we will all go to heaven or hell before creating us yet he did. It is only people that want to deceive themselves that will still hold on to the notion of free will they were brainwashed with from childhood. Within the limit of man, we can talk about free will because we don't know our tomorrow since we are not omniscience. But when you talk about a knower of everything giving free will, then you are definitely deceiving yourself as it contradicts the most basics of reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by mkmyers45(m): 11:25am On Apr 22, 2012
2good:

Free will doesn't make sense if God is omniscience and knows all things from the beginning to the end because that will also means he knew the devil was going to rebel against him before he created him and still went ahead to create the devil. He also knew whether we will all go to heaven or hell before creating us yet he did. It is only people that want to deceive themselves that will still hold on to the notion of free will they were brainwashed with from childhood. Within the limit of man, we can talk about free will because we don't know our tomorrow since we are not omniscience. But when you talk about a knower of everything giving free will, then you are definitely deceiving yourself as it contradicts the most basics of reasoning.
WORD! cool
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by mkmyers45(m): 11:29am On Apr 22, 2012

There is nothing like freewill...Does threatning a kid with candy or the cane also amount to freewill? If God made the game, its rules, and the players, then how can any player be free?
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by LogicMind: 11:35am On Apr 22, 2012
i have taken my own freewill and am happily exercising it.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by Image123(m): 11:52am On Apr 22, 2012
It's like multiple choice, there's only one right answer. Is multiple choice unfair or a coercion?
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by Image123(m): 11:53am On Apr 22, 2012
Logic Mind: i have taken my own freewill and am happily exercising it.
Wow, we have something in common!
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ijawkid(m): 12:25pm On Apr 22, 2012
D real problem with atheists is just with d consequences. Or aftermath of doing what is wrong....
U guys wanna eat ur cake and have it....

D truth is when it comes to our choosing to serve God or not he in his infinite wisdom decides not to know about or meddle into our decisions or how we will end up....

Most times u guys feel that because God is all knowing then he shuld always decide to knw everything....God controls his every power and ability and decides to use them when necessary....

If God knew where we would end up b4 we were born either into destruction or life everlasting and still allowed us exist then that won't be nice of him....

But as I trust my heavenly Father,I know and I believe that he has chosen not to knw about our choices on wether we wuld serve him or not and wether we will be destroyed or enjoy eternal life...

Like I said God controls his abilities and powers...He is not like a damaged electric circuit that has its switch,transformers and other components destroyed so as to loose control and not guage its flow..

God has given us a choice.....
Choose either blessings or choose maledictions
God can accompany us to choose what's right,but he @ d end decides not to know how each individual will end.....

That is why when humans strive to obey God despite opposition and succeed God and his son are happy....

Thanks!!!!

Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 22, 2012
When I think about free will and omniscience, I think about a character in a novel saying he has free will when the author of the novel already decided his choice and his fate on the very next page.

2 Likes

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by LogicMind: 12:57pm On Apr 22, 2012
Image123:
Wow, we have something in common!

we have a lot more in common.
we both enjoy sex.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by 2good(m): 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2012
ijawkid:

Most times u guys feel that because God is all knowing then he shuld always decide to knw everything

Don't you think this statement is a contradiction? That God know everything but decides not to know everything. Thats just too plain irrational in thought.

ijawkid:

If God knew where we would end up b4 we were born either into destruction or life everlasting and still allowed us exist then that won't be nice of him...
But as I trust my heavenly Father,I know and I believe that he has chosen not to knw about our choices on wether we wuld serve him or not and wether we will be destroyed or enjoy eternal life...

Do you know that the above response contradicts and is a blasphemy to Christianity? You are saying categorically that the almighty God is not omniscience and doesn't know somethings. It is better not to response to certain things than make posts that query you intelligence in reasoning.

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ea7(m): 1:07pm On Apr 22, 2012
Logic Mind:

we both enjoy sex.
is Image married, you know he cant fornicate. Bjs FTW
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by Image123(m): 1:15pm On Apr 22, 2012
Logic Mind:

we both enjoy sex.
That must make us twins, what do you think?
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by mkmyers45(m): 1:27pm On Apr 22, 2012
ijawkid: D real problem with atheists is just with d consequences. Or aftermath of doing what is wrong....
U guys wanna eat ur cake and have it....

D truth is when it comes to our choosing to serve God or not he in his infinite wisdom decides not to know about or meddle into our decisions or how we will end up....

Most times u guys feel that because God is all knowing then he shuld always decide to knw everything....God controls his every power and ability and decides to use them when necessary....

If God knew where we would end up b4 we were born either into destruction or life everlasting and still allowed us exist then that won't be nice of him....

Like I said God controls his abilities and powers...He is not like a damaged electric circuit that has its switch,transformers and other components destroyed so as to loose control and not guage its flow..

God has given us a choice.....
Choose either blessings or choose maledictions
God can accompany us to choose what's right,but he @ d end decides not to know how each individual will end.....

That is why when humans strive to obey God despite opposition and succeed God and his son are happy....

Thanks!!!!

Thanks
All what you wrote dosent make one ounce of sense..

3 Likes

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by mkmyers45(m): 1:28pm On Apr 22, 2012
Martian: When I think about free will and omniscience, I think about a character in a novel saying he has free will when the author of the novel already decided his choice and his fate on the very next page.
EPIC!

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by LogicMind: 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2012
ea7: is Image married, you know he cant fornicate. Bjs FTW

i'm sure he does ejjaculate one way or another.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by Image123(m): 4:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
Image123: It's like multiple choice, there's only one right answer. Is multiple choice unfair or a coercion?
CLASSIC
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ea7(m): 4:13pm On Apr 22, 2012
@logicmind anytime he sees a girl, he jizzes his pants.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by logicboy: 4:27pm On Apr 22, 2012
Image123: It's like multiple choice, there's only one right answer. Is multiple choice unfair or a coercion?

A theory question- limited freedom; because you are free to write as much as you like but must be related to topic of the question

A multiple choice question- even more limited freedom; because you have no freedom to write what you want, you must choose the maker's correct answer

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ijawkid(m): 4:41pm On Apr 22, 2012
Well if u guys say my comment makes no ounce of sense then ur frÉe to do what u want....

.It hÀs always been wanting to do what u want....or Àre u guys .starting to fear that realy an end is imminent

U culd choose to sex an AIDS victim with out condom if u want to.......

U culd decide to. Jump from a very tall building with out parasutes.....

U culd do what u want.....if there were no free will u wuldnt even be able to do what u want right now as we speak.......

U'll be a total robot......

If u people feel laws that are given that are for ur own good has become useless in ur eyes then u can do what u want....

Even scientists when they produce things give instructions on how it shuld be used or run....

When automobiles are produced we strictly obey d instructions in d manual so as not to get into trouble....they tell u wear ur sit belts when u drive,but ofcus no automobile company comes to put a gun @ ur head for u to obey those simple instructions.....its also free will that will make some not wear there sit belts,but when there is a collision they @ d end if they survive come to realize why they shuld have obeyed in d 1st place

If I can obey mere scientists why won't I obey the greatest and everlasting creator when he gives instructions which are for my own good.....

Which ever way u guys choose to abuse,insult and castigate God its up to you......

He has put in place blessings and maledictions....

You all CHOOSE!!!!!
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by logicboy: 4:45pm On Apr 22, 2012
ijawkid: Well if u guys say my comment makes no ounce of sense then ur frÉe to do what u want....

.It hÀs always been wanting to do what u want....or Àre u guys .starting to fear that realy an end is imminent

U culd do what u want.....if there were no free will u wuldnt even be able to do what u want right now as we speak.......

If u people feel laws that are given that are for ur own good has become useless in ur eyes then u can do what u want....

Even scientists when they produce things give instructions on how it shuld be used or run....

When automobiles are produced we strictly obey d instructions in d manual so as not to get into trouble....they tell u wear ur sit belts when u drive,but ofcus no automobile company comes to put a gun @ ur head for u to obey those simple instructions.....its also free will that will make some not wear there sit belts,but when there is a collision they @ d end if they survive come to realize why they shuld have obeyed in d 1st place

If I can obey mere scientists why won't I obey the greatest and everlasting creator when he gives instructions which are for my own good.....

Which ever way u guys choose to abuse,insult and castigate God its up to you......

You all CHOOSE!!!!!

You should be banned from Nairaland for stoopidty. That comment was just pure nonsense.

Does anyone tell you how to have s.ex with your GF/wife?

Does anyone stop you from eating what you want?
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ijawkid(m): 4:52pm On Apr 22, 2012
But logic boy u could do wat u want.....

U even become an armed robber....its a free world aint it??

Do what u want.......

U tink its only God u can run away from?

Even ur governmental system been run by d devil executes purnishment on wrongdoers....

My brother no where to run to....

It will be foolishness if u think u aint got free will because God has put befor us blessings and maledictions to choose.....

It is either u choose or u don't choose.....but life will make u choose

Atheists always acting like kids who feel parents are policing them.....
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by mkmyers45(m): 4:53pm On Apr 22, 2012
Image123:
CLASSIC
High 5ving urself in public
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by ea7(m): 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2012
ijawkid: But logic boy u could do wat u want.....

U even become an armed robber....its a free world aint it??

Do what u want.......

U tink its only God u can run away from?

Even ur governmental system been run by d devil executes purnishment on wrongdoers....

My brother no where to run to....

It will be foolishness if u think u aint got free will because God has put befor us blessings and maledictions to choose.....

It is either u choose or u don't choose.....but life will make u choose

Atheists always acting like kids who feel parents are policing them.....
godzilla facepalms at you. Isnt it your ilk who claim freewill
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by mkmyers45(m): 5:01pm On Apr 22, 2012
ijawkid: Well if u guys say my comment makes no ounce of sense then ur frÉe to do what u want....

You all CHOOSE!!!!!
Oh dear....another yaba left on the loose

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by LogicMind: 5:05pm On Apr 22, 2012
ea7: @logicmind anytime he sees a girl, he jizzes his her pants.

"go into the world and multiply"!
i'm only obeying your god's command.
i urge you to do the same for your sake.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by emofine2(f): 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2012
2good:

I also don't subscribe to this notion of “free will” apparently given by god. A being that engineered the whole system and limited the options to servitude or damnation which is akin to blackmail so as a result those that don’t adhere to “him” will be made to suffer. When one is cornered how does that equate to “free will”?

“Free will” will be more plausible if people made any independent decision themselves and not be restricted by limited available options.

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by emofine2(f): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2012

Except it’s not really a “choice” it’s an ultimatum. It’s not even the threat to set ablaze those who fail to yield to “Him” that I find most conceited but the demand for worship. How much effect can a mere mortal’s belief have on god? undecided
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by emofine2(f): 5:50pm On Apr 22, 2012
Guys (Logic Mind + ea7) please stop the personal jibes.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by buzugee(m): 6:35pm On Apr 22, 2012
come on man. i know you are better than this. freewill is just that. freewill. you are not coerced into making any decisions. you make your own decisions and then live with the consequences. there are consequences to every decision you make in life. if you decide to steal you will get locked up, does not negate the fact that you have the freewill to steal the orange. make your choice and live with the consequences. thats freewill. you seem to think freewill is when choices made are not attached to consequences. what you suffer from is a fear of accountability.
Re: The Fallacy Of "Free Will" by emofine2(f): 6:49pm On Apr 22, 2012
Buzugee, I’m not talking about the daily individual decisions we have the free choice to make and bare the consequences thereof. I’m exclusively discussing this so called god-given “free will”. The “free will” that grants us the apparent right to choose whether one adheres to god or not. Yet if one makes the initial decision not to worship god there is the threat of hell to bare much weight on such a person’s ultimate decision. Does this not sound like extortion? How can one exercise their free will when they are effectively being blackmailed?
Worship me or die does not resemble free will. It’s an ultimatum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Females Putting On Trouser To Church:good/bad / EXPOSED !!! / Luxor Temple Sayings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.