Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? (3462 Views)

I Hate Being An African American Woman / American Born Nigerian Woman Dating And Possibly Marrying African American Man / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by prunella(f): 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2007
This is my first post to this forum, and I am looking forward to meeting lots of people---both Nigerian and Non-Nigerian!

I have been dating an American-born Nigerian man for a few months now, and I care for him very much.  I believe it is mutual.  I do know that we have a lot of problems communicating sometimes and I think it is because of cultural stuff.  I have read lots of posts from other African American women who have the same fears as I do about the many "cousins" and family obligations that seem to monopolize the man's time, but in my case, I don't know what to think.  To put it simply, our dating styles are definitely different, so I don't know how to bridge this gap.  We are trying to adjust to each other, but sometimes, I feel like he keeps things pertaining to his culture from me because of the stereotypes out there about Black women and what he says Black Americans feel about Nigerians.

In my case, I would love to know more about his culture, and I would appreciate it and value it as much as he does.  This man has done so many things that scream that he loves me--he has told me this once, but we are both scared.  He does not like to talk about his feelings---but every now and again, he will share things that are reassuring. I am concerned because what I may be taking as offensive or that he is involved with other women may be culturally related to family obligations, and I want to believe the best of him. I've never dated a Nigerian before, but I have had my share of Black American men that are dogs, and I am scared of being hurt again.  Any advice?
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by JustGood(m): 9:52am On Nov 09, 2007
I did not read every line of your post but I fail to see the difference. Both parties are Black Americans because the Black American born in America to Nigerian parents will differ little from a Black American born of parents of any other nationalities. They are both bred in the same country and, supposedly, same culture.
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by prunella(f): 10:08am On Nov 09, 2007
Hi Justgood,

Thanks for your response.

Perhaps it should be the same, but the person grew up in London and was back and forth to Nigeria, and believe me, there are differences. I realize that this could be any man to some degree, but all of the black men I have dated up until now have been pretty expressive---in fact, they will even mislead or lie about their feelings or emotional stuff. This person will actually "demonstrate" how he feels through his actions (and this is a good thing), but he is less likely to say how he feels and if he does, it will be said one time and that's it. Another difference is in the affection arena. American men typically know that hugs and affection are expected and understand that women want this---at least the ones I have dated. This guy really doesn't understand the need for hugs and a whole lot of affection outside intimate settings. He endures for my sake. :-) I know this is a difference based on conversations with my other Nigerian friends who have expressed to me they don't get the romantic/affection stuff. I share these examples with you to show you how there is a difference.

I am not saying this is enough to wreck a relationship, but just wanted you to know that he is Americanized in some ways and in others not.
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by Tonim(f): 8:44am On Apr 15, 2008
Sure ! It can work.
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by tpia: 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2008
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by NJean(f): 3:01am On Apr 25, 2008
Hi Prunella

I'm dating a Nigerian born man who lives in the states and has American born children. You are so right that the affection is private and not public. In my case, he has told me he loves me and I can take that to the bank. I expressed the importance that I hear he loves me and I do hear that from time to time. We are in a bit of a tough spot because of and ex-spouse and I'm having trouble as an American woman I want to talk it to death, but he is withdrawn and quiet. He likes to process his sad moments by himself. Hang in there, Nigerian born or culture is different but the man is definately worth it.

N
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by Omode: 9:57am On Apr 27, 2008
I do understand what ur saying and what th question is. My advice to you is to try and study his parents culture and even ask thinks that will give you a better understanding. When u look at the facts not being born in one country means that is the culture u adapt ultimately, but family does play a crucial role in one's upbringing. So my dear if u really love this guy (which you I really think you do, else y will u b here looking for answers) try doing some research that will enable you to better understand and keep your man. smiley
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by oziomatv(m): 12:24pm On Apr 27, 2008
Your man may be nobody than igboman.
2 things to do:
1. learn how to cook ofe egwusi with okporoko and pounded yam (he'll lick both fingers and toes together)
2. don't shout on him good luck.

make sure he got akwukwo ikikere obodo unu before you move foward, otherwise ojiri gi wee nwee akwukwo ikikere.
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by ruffrider(f): 8:14am On Jul 12, 2011
African men are affectionate. If they like you will for real, they have no problems with displaying it publicly. In most cases, they are waiting on their sweet heart from there own country, and you are there to take their mind off of the long wait. Or their parents have arrange for them to marry a friends's daughter back home. Most of them don't trust AA ladies. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, that is what I will tell you. Just take it easy and have fun.
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by DaRapture: 5:46am On Jul 13, 2011
Why is it always AA women who come on here professing to the world their love for some Nigerian/African guy, yet not once have I seen a thread on here in where A Nigerian/African guy is professing his love for his AA woman? Hummm, are you ladies sure that these guys are as heads over hills over you'all as you'all are over them? HUMMM, I don't know about all of this, sound mighty fishy to me. undecided
Re: African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work? by caye(m): 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2021
DaRapture:
Why is it always AA women who come on here professing to the world their love for some Nigerian/African guy, yet not once have I seen a thread on here in where A Nigerian/African guy is professing his love for his AA woman? Hummm, are you ladies sure that these guys are as heads over hills over you'all as you'all are over them? HUMMM, I don't know about all of this, sound mighty fishy to me. undecided

She's been hurt,
abused and injured
many times,
but I still love you
Afro-American woman
with your weaknesses
I really do.

(1) (Reply)

Change Of Tribe / Nigerian Wedding Cards By Wedding Feferity / The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.