Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? (21166 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by igbo2011(m): 5:23am On Apr 24, 2012
I am thinking about doing it but I am not sure. Is it a waste of time? I want to work in Nigeria and do a business related field. Do you think it is a good idea to do NYSC or should I just start a business?

If anyone has done iti n the past, is it worth it? Is it fun? Do you make life long friends?

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Seun(m): 7:15am On Apr 24, 2012
Don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by isalegan2: 1:17pm On Apr 25, 2012
I did not go through NYSC seeing as I studied and still mostly reside abroad.

You need more opinions of those who actually completed the Youth Corps to arrive at a conclusion. I myself am curious to see responses.

Good luck (is 2 words! angry ) grin
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by ektbear: 3:20am On Apr 26, 2012
I personally don't think it is worthwhile. However, my sister is doing it and seems to be having some success potentially leveraging this into a high paying job in Nigeria once she finishes.

YMMV basically.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Afam4eva(m): 11:09am On Apr 26, 2012
If you're going to go into politics in the future, it's better you do it.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by earthgreeners(m): 11:39am On Apr 26, 2012
I'm a serving Corp member,
NYSC is a waste of time my brother, u gain nothing and only meet friend who r struggling like u......But if u have a long term ambition of holding a political post the certificate might be a ticket...
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by ShiftControlAlt(m): 11:46am On Apr 26, 2012
Seun: Yes, it is a waste of time. Don't do it unless you absolutely have to. There's nothing that you can possibly gain through the NYSC program that you can't gain without it. For example, you can offer to work for companies for free without the NYSC. You can go to a village and start teaching in their schools for free.

I can't believe you just said that. Anyways NYSC is not about you it's about your service to fatherland. Even when your country's leaders are messing up, you can show that you can make a difference and be a source of inspiration to many village kids who are hoping to one day become useful to themselves. That said, NYSC members have been a source of community development in many places they served. During my NYSC days, a corper renovated an Ambulance that had not been in use for more than 3 years, another one provided 3 wheel chairs and donated textbooks to a school, one built a school library, another brought 300 mosquito nets. All these people did not consider NYSC a waste of time so why should you?

But NYSC is stressful sha especially if you are an Ajebutter.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 26, 2012
Life long friends?

Well,the father of my handsome baby who today is my husband....

i met him during NYSC in Bomadi,Delta State '08.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by sugar001(f): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2012
Its a waste of time my dear... But I ll advice you to do it... Cos I ve served too.... Unless you gat long legs... It may affect you when you need it most(politics tins or job tins) .. And you may be too old to correct the mistake.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by earthgreeners(m): 11:59am On Apr 26, 2012
hardleyC: Life long friends?

Well,the father of my handsome baby who today is my husband....

i met him during NYSC in Bomadi,Delta State '08.

na somewhere u go meet ya husband abeg...if u lyk meet am for Burutu or ethiope....

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by PurerareGold: 12:01pm On Apr 26, 2012
I am a serving corper and its a huge waste of time. Omo, corpers are one of the jobless people around o. Na the allowee make people dεγ̲ go the prog plus d terrible 3wks camp. Truth be told, if you can get your discharge certificate without doing nysc,get it o.*closes eyes*
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by ben4ever(m): 12:05pm On Apr 26, 2012
Just finished mine, sometym i feel like it was just a waist of tym, but i always realise dat i've not been d same person i used to be. I was thousands of km away 4rm home, saw what dis country rily luks like, was able 2 mix wit pple thru which i saw my strengths and weaknesses.
Well, my advice be say if na 4 personal gains, 4get am. But if u want an adventure of a lyf tym and u rily have a serving hrt, go on wit it.
Only u know wot u rily want

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2012
earthgreeners:

na somewhere u go meet ya husband abeg...if u lyk meet am for Burutu or ethiope....

undecided And if u lyk, meet urs in d moon....ur palava.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by bizfirst: 12:07pm On Apr 26, 2012
NYSC is basically trash... one should not bother about it if you have better ideas about changing the world and know how to go about it...However, if you wanna be employed, don't think about skipping it - its the first thing your prospective employer would ask for!!
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by gladostix: 12:08pm On Apr 26, 2012
I think it is worth the while. You make life-long friends and then you can learn about a different culture as well. I served in Benue State and till today, I still feel very close to the Tiv people, I learnt a lot about their culture which I didnt know about before. And I made some friends that I still cherish till date. When I applied for a job 3 years ago, all the exprience I could present that was most relevant for that position, was that which I gained during the youth service year, so you never know. If you really can, I will say "do it".

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by ataime(f): 12:11pm On Apr 26, 2012
NYSC is just scheme by the rich and for the rich leaving dse whose parents are not 2 the top to suffer in silence all in the name of serving fatherland,some even end up dying in the process
I am cuurently serving but tnk God for ma looks i wldnt hve been in lagos let alone be working where i am
Now the say all corp members teach ....wht abt batch A 2012 corp members serving in top organisations(names witheld)..having gotten letters from "above"
Nywy ild advise you do it if ure intrstd in working in Nigeria afterall who knws tommorrow.
But dnt get intimated whn some dullards u knw back in school get a betta ppa dn u......Such is life u knw jst believe in yourself and get equipped by the numerous professnal course offered by sme bodies...all d best
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by meetgaya: 12:12pm On Apr 26, 2012
WHO NO GO NO GO KNOW, WHO NO GO NO GO KNOW WHAT TIN I SEE
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by bukatyne(f): 12:14pm On Apr 26, 2012
@OP: ur NYSC year is largely dependant on how u decide to live it. for most people, this is a time they are really really on their own. it is a time to know who u really are and plan how u want ur future to be. u can also develop urself spiritually, mentally etc. u can also try ur hands on new tins. this is also a time to make impact in d life of people esp kids n teens around u. if u serve in a school, this is even easier. it is a time to also draw closer to God. u can pick up one or two assignments in the local church/mosque n develop urself as u have more time n resources @ ur disposal. u can also make life long friends n business partners. spend ur service year in service to God n man n u ll enjoy that one yr n never wish it to end! take care!

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by sexiestharam(f): 12:18pm On Apr 26, 2012
In my honest opinion, NYSC is worth doing.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by charlsecy4(m): 12:23pm On Apr 26, 2012
Whether it's a waste of time or not, you may need it, so DO IT!
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Sexyify1(f): 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2012
@poster i have not done my nysc but the much i hard about it, it good. It helps you meet defferent pple an also know somtings you know about. Nysb is a grantee you need if u must work, unles u wnt 2 be self employed. Am looking forword 4 mine dis july.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by OmawumiMegbele(m): 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by yuzedo: 12:57pm On Apr 26, 2012
NOT do NYSC shocked
Me wey wan do service again sef!
The only frustrating period is registration when camp starts, once you settle in, you are good to go, good to go, good to go! cool
Let me tell you what i gained from NYSC:
1. Army connections. One of the soldiers is now a bonafide brother even though he is way older with a family and always on peace-keeping missions, he has my back any time. Confirmed!
2. Punny (Lots of punny) Everybody wants punny. Don't u want punny? grin wink tongue
3. Friends: I'm not talking fair-weather friends or acquaintances. Genuine buddies that've got ur back, real solid connects and people that give you laughs for DAYSSSSS!!! kiss
4. Experience: My one year was wonderful. I learned a lot, positive and negative. Working for INEC during the elections, my place of primary assignment (Sucked but i thank God it did because it toughened me up, showed me how bad things can be, gave me focus on goals, and prepared my mind to understand and appreciate how good the future would be). .
5. My current job was facilitated by a friend i met during my service year. I don't need to mouth-off on the World Wide Web, lets just say i thank God cos in giving Him the glory i acknowledge that only the truly blessed can snag fantastic jobs with perks and prospects like this with no extra qualification to a B.Sc.
Uncle leave story, NYSC is THE year i tellya! I hated my PPA but always looked forward to CDS to wear my khakis and go an faff around at the LG with fellow corpers. I can't describe how enjoyable the whole year from start to finish was. Would definitely do it again if given the chance!

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Belmot(m): 1:10pm On Apr 26, 2012
Its fun serving your country

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by realsammie(m): 1:16pm On Apr 26, 2012
bukatyne: @OP: ur NYSC year is largely dependant on how u decide to live it. for most people, this is a time they are really really on their own. it is a time to know who u really are and plan how u want ur future to be. u can also develop urself spiritually, mentally etc. u can also try ur hands on new tins. this is also a time to make impact in d life of people esp kids n teens around u. if u serve in a school, this is even easier. it is a time to also draw closer to God. u can pick up one or two assignments in the local church/mosque n develop urself as u have more time n resources @ ur disposal. u can also make life long friends n business partners. spend ur service year in service to God n man n u ll enjoy that one yr n never wish it to end! take care!
ride on pastor...@op, wel u av to do it cos u must do it. that is the trend
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by oluoma1: 1:22pm On Apr 26, 2012
Nwokem geem nti' chere kam gwagi, is beta u do it oooh. In our family we have three(3) graduates and they all did it. My broda dat's ur life and proof, for future purpose. one yr is notin bifo u knw it one yr will dissapear and who knw what 2moro brings. U might be d next local govt chair man,a gov'nor ,senator, or even a presido' who knws there's notin God cannot do. Cheers!!!
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by armadeo(m): 1:44pm On Apr 26, 2012
only reminders i get of service is strangers telling me we served together offering me jobs for am upfront payment. Thank God am Employed i wonder how many have fallen into their traps. Beware the ijaw engineer who offers you posting without interview to chevron.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by megxo(m): 2:38pm On Apr 26, 2012
grin grin grin grin
OmawumiMegbele: [size=16pt]Service to the Nation. May end up teaching (over 80%), but that is not the problem (at least someone taught u, though u paid for it). The prob is people who dont serve and still have the cert, the accomadation they'll promise but never give, the 2500naira they will give someone travelling from lagos to maiduguri (as well as lagos to ibadan). The rejection letter they'll give, the number of people serving in cyber cafe, or whose ppa is in their parents house, etc.

When you take this an weigh it against the certifications u can obtain in 11 months, the aptitudes you can write, the masters you can pursue,etc

On NYSC side, u'll get 19800 per month, free white tshirt (wear once, use as rag after cos it'll tear), a white canvas, etc, fyne guys and gals u'll meet (or wo-wo depending on the state of deployment), network u'll build for future

Then you can decide for yourself
[/size]
u too badt grin
OmawumiMegbele: [size=16pt]Service to the Nation. May end up teaching (over 80%), but that is not the problem (at least someone taught u, though u paid for it). The prob is people who dont serve and still have the cert, the accomadation they'll promise but never give, the 2500naira they will give someone travelling from lagos to maiduguri (as well as lagos to ibadan). The rejection letter they'll give, the number of people serving in cyber cafe, or whose ppa is in their parents house, etc.

When you take this an weigh it against the certifications u can obtain in 11 months, the aptitudes you can write, the masters you can pursue,etc

On NYSC side, u'll get 19800 per month, free white tshirt (wear once, use as rag after cos it'll tear), a white canvas, etc, fyne guys and gals u'll meet (or wo-wo depending on the state of deployment), network u'll build for future

Then you can decide for yourself
[/size]
u too badt... 1 2nd u jor...NYSC na scam...
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by shakers(m): 2:44pm On Apr 26, 2012
i served in Ogun some years back and i really regret staying there and wasting one full year of ma life, the best advice i can offer is that you should find a way of getting the discharge certificate ( i regretted not opting to be a ghost corper) well i met a beautiful gf there that we are still courting right now lol.......
Serving your country is nice but if you have things to do, just plan with you ZI or LGI or whatever I it is and get your kpali without you actually being on ground.....
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Aivoyin(f): 2:59pm On Apr 26, 2012
i will say it worth going for it, just to cathch fun
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by nkemdirim84: 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2012
wow! I'm in a similar position to igbo2011 & after reading all these posts (which i'm really thankful ppl took the time to write) I'm no more clear on what I should do lol! I've lived abroad all my life but after many visits home over the years, I've decided it's definitely the place for me to live my life longterm. I want to go back & get a job in financial management which is the industry i work in currently but to leave a good job to go & risk a whole year with v.little pay & no guarantees seems like a huge gamble right now. It would be so great if they could develop some sort of programme for the children of nigeria who live abroad but have plans to return home. I have no idea how it would work but I'll have to seriously consider how to orchestrate this hurdle of nysc :-/ I'd looooove to be able to spare a year but in these uncertain times... undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Akiika: 3:25pm On Apr 26, 2012
I have a comment on the post itself rather than on the subject.
IS NYSC WORTH DOING?....quit translating your local language directly as you would speak it to English.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun B15 Lets Meet Here / NYSC 2013 Batch A Library Thread; Find State You Were Posted Here. / Posted To Rivers. Let Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.