Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop (15334 Views)

Association Of Nigerians In The Diaspora (AND) / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Tokunboh: To Live Abroad, Nigerians In Diaspora, And Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 25, 2012
Sitting on my bed, as I inhale, and exhale my cigarette smoke - I reminisce how I used to view Nigerians as the same people. I was never raised to believe my tribe was superior to my “bredrin’s” tribe. We were all raised as Nigerians first before anything – and we all used to verbally defend Nigeria against our Ghanaian peers – and fist fight our Caribbean peers. That seems like a long time ago now – because tribalism is now rife among Nigerians in diaspora, and on the virtual World Wide Web. It seems we were all young back then, and we were living in denial – and probably tribalists on the inside, but Nigerian on outside.

I noticed every time I chat to my friends now (most of whom have never been to Nigeria) – they are always quick to point out their tribes. My Igbo friend told me the other day, that his sister got married to one of ‘my people’. I was shocked when he said one of ‘my people’ – and I asked him what he meant by that. He then explained to me that his sister got married to a Yoruba guy. My Urhobo/Edo friend has now imbibed the habit of always reminding that “those are your people” every time there are Yoruba names on TV. To be honest, I’m not comfortable with this new trend. It seems everyone in the diaspora has now been infected the tribal consciousness virus. We never used to be like this – we used to be proud Nigerians back in the days – when we used go to African parties, and jam to Sir Shina Peters and King Sunny Ade together as Nigerians. Where did it go wrong?

Today, I went on youtube to check SBTV (a UK urban music video channel on youtube) – and I saw an acoustic performance by the great Nigerian singer, Nneka. As I scrolled down to read some of the comments under the video – I noticed some youths posted comments like: “she is Igbo, that’s my tribe”, “big up Igbo, Igbo for life”, “repping Igbo hard” etc. I was baffled because this is a music video channel visited by mostly youths raised in the UK – and I was expecting the Nigerians on there to big up, Naija – and not their tribes. This new trend of tribal consciousness is becoming problematic, and we need to put it in check before it consumes us all – and destroy our future generations.

We’re all still Nigerians, pending our disintegration – which is not happening in the foreseeable future. The older folks among us need to stop promoting tribal sentiments – and start raising their kids as Nigerians. The Nigerian diaspora is already divided along class, and country of residence lines – we shouldn’t divide further – what’s already divided.

I know Nigeria is in a sorry state – but we don’t need to write the country off. I believe in the population, and the diversity Nigeria brings. I believe in the Nigerian people. If china can go from being a hellhole, to being a superpower – I believe Nigeria can also do the same. Nigerians are a unique group of people, bond together by the Confluence of Niger & Benue River – and we shouldn't break the natural confluence, which binds us together. Nigeria is Africa – and the future of Africa depends on Nigeria. If Nigeria can rise to its full potentials – I believe Africa definitely has an opportunity to turn the tide – but if Nigeria fails, Africa is going to be exploited forever.

Nigeria is Europe’s mistake – but a blessing to mama Africa. The future of the black race depends on us – we can’t let our race down.

N/B: Some may want to claim that I'm also a tribalist - but the truth is that I was infected with the bug on NL, and I have since rid myself off the silly bug. cool

9 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by chrishenzo: 12:23pm On Apr 25, 2012
I think the only time Nigerians see themselves as "ONE" is during football. But if a Nigerian do something good, most people will claim the person as their son/daughter(from the same ethnic group). Likewise when someone commits a crime, people are quick to distant themselves by pointing out the ethnicity of the person.

This issue wouldn't have been happening if our leaders have make good use of Nigeria resources. Everyone will be proud of the country. Even the current situation of the country isn't helping matters.

So my advice to fellow Nigerians both home and diaspora, next time you feel like engaging in ethnic war, visit www.chrisvicmall.com and do some shopping or send free sms to your lovely ones. Do it steady and I promise you, that cancer called "Tribalism" will cease to exist within you.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 25, 2012
@OP,
The increasing trend you identified is borne of nothing more than unresolved contradictions from our past.
It is a shame, though, that a medium like NairaLand, which owns its existence to forward-looking technology, actually serves a major enabler of primodialism rather than the sober introspection and reflection required.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 25, 2012
eGuerrilla: @OP,
The increasing trend you identified is borne of nothing more than unresolved contradictions from our past.
It is a shame, though, that a medium like NairaLand, which owns its existence to forward-looking technology, actually serves a major enabler of primodialism rather than the sober introspection and reflection required.

The bolded part is what should be promoted on this forum - rather than the daily tribal e-fights.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 2:06pm On Apr 25, 2012
chrishenzo: I think the only time Nigerians see themselves as "ONE" is during football. But if a Nigerian do something good, most people will claim the person as their son/daughter(from the same ethnic group). Likewise when someone commits a crime, people are quick to distant themselves by pointing out the ethnicity of the person.

This issue wouldn't have been happening if our leaders have make good use of Nigeria resources. Everyone will be proud of the country. Even the current situation of the country isn't helping matters.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2012
Watch this space, even this thread will soon go down in ashes when the tribal thugs show themselves.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by deshclones(m): 4:34pm On Apr 25, 2012
Dumb poster...reminiscing indeed..you..biggest bigot ever to cross this path..nansense...go tell your crap to gullible folks...you that has like 3 different i.ds you use to promote your immense and deep hatred for non Yoruba folk...tomorrow bluetooth,eko ile and that scum of the earth arole odua will preach unity..igiotas undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by kristiansmart: 4:40pm On Apr 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 25, 2012
deshclones: Dumb poster...reminiscing indeed..you..biggest bigot ever to cross this path..nansense...go tell your crap to gullible folks...you that has like 3 different i.ds you use to promote your immense and deep hatred for non Yoruba folk...tomorrow bluetooth,eko ile and that scum of the earth arole odua will preach unity..igiotas undecided undecided undecided

Typical okoro always blaming yorubas for their misfortunes.The guy made his opinion and it's left for you to take it or leave it. tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by maclatunji: 4:42pm On Apr 25, 2012
OP, you are so on point. I created a thread once asking if Nigerians that have traveled outside the country are out of touch with reality in Nigeria. The truth is that we can debate that but as for children born to Nigerian parents in diaspora, the truth is that most of them are so deluded and are the ones that engage in tribal arguments most. Their widespread access to the internet is also corrupting young people in Nigeria some of whom have never been to the airport talk less of traveling outside Nigeria as well.

We need more people to point this out and call them to order. I understand that when you are abroad, you tend to want to relate with people of your tribe just to keep that part of Nigeria in you and maintain your identity. However, that does not mean you should become a vicious tribal bigot.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by zumbigbo(m): 4:43pm On Apr 25, 2012
Abeg, One Nigeria is like believing in the tooth fairy and Baba Christmas at the age of 40. Unreal.

6 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by iykay4455(m): 4:50pm On Apr 25, 2012
You are complaining about Nigerians in diaspora...just wait till Bluetooth and eko ile comes on

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by JahMan1: 4:52pm On Apr 25, 2012
@deshclone, you are very correct in calling poster a bigot but you were very insultive.
@OP,you are unmistakably a Nigerian/Yoruba.That is the way they reason.Can you imagine that in your examples you never mentioned where a Yoruba person committed the offence of tribalism?Meanwhile, the Yorubas are the most tribalistic creatures I have ever seen.I had them as good friends back in the univ but not until I met them in droves during NYSC that I knew who they were.
I have worked in two organisations and have noticed how they shamelessly populate everywhere with their kith and kin,whether competency is sacrificed or not.In the middle of discussion in a corporate office(including multinationals) you will see them speaking.."Yoruba-Yoruba",but let your tribesman greet u in your language,they will raise alarm.Very insecured set of folks.
I hate being annoyed to write such things,but I also cannot condone hypocrisy which is what the OP personifies.
You may need to retract your post and do a balanced write-up,indicting your tribe 1st and others.This tribalism ought to stop,starting from the not-so-travelled and self-centred yorubas.

19 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by GboyegaD(m): 4:55pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:

The bolded part is what should be promoted on this forum - rather than the daily tribal e-fights.

It is rather so unfortunate that it is almost inate for us to be tribalistic in all we do and in my opinion, it is often times tied to some self deceit. We are so deceitful that we try to deceive ourselves in the face of reality just to favor our arguments and sentiments.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by barikay: 4:57pm On Apr 25, 2012
Is like u are base abroad. Tribalism is exaggerated on nairaland. If Nigeria was actually what u read here Nigeria would hv break up since.

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by dayokanu(m): 4:57pm On Apr 25, 2012
Its sweet
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 25, 2012
Tribalism is like cancer.. It can neva be cured it can only be curbed

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by naijaking1: 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2012
@poster,
I feel your pain. That's why internet media like N/L has to carefully balance self expression and tribal divisions. Nigeria's national cohesion and unity is unquestionably weaker these days, especially with divisive issues like revenue allocation.

On a reality note, if you're doing well, every Nigerian regardless of tribe would want to identify with you.
However, if you're not doing well, you will be identified as an Igboman, and as Enugu state person, as a wawa man, as an Udi man, as an Ngwo man---then your village, your clan, and then down to your father's house.
Even in your father's house, your father would want to identify you as carrying a very bad trait from your mother's side!

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by ismhab(m): 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2012
Non stop!!! We will never stop it, over our dead body, it's in our blood!!!

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Outstrip(f): 5:29pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex: Sitting on my bed, as I inhale, and exhale my cigarette smoke - I reminisce how I used to view Nigerians as the same people. I was never raised to believe my tribe was superior to my “bredrin’s” tribe. We were all raised as Nigerians first before anything – and we all used to verbally defend Nigeria against our Ghanaian peers – and fist fight our Caribbean peers. That seems like a long time ago now – because tribalism is now rife among Nigerians in diaspora, and on the virtual World Wide Web. It seems we were all young back then, and we were living in denial – and probably tribalists on the inside, but Nigerian on outside.

I noticed every time I chat to my friends now (most of whom have never been to Nigeria) – they are always quick to point out their tribes. My Igbo friend told me the other day, that his sister got married to one of ‘my people’. I was shocked when he said one of ‘my people’ – and I asked him what he meant by that. He then explained to me that his sister got married to a Yoruba guy. My Urhobo/Edo friend has now imbibed the habit of always reminding that “those are your people” every time there are Yoruba names on TV. To be honest, I’m not comfortable with this new trend. It seems everyone in the diaspora has now been infected the tribal consciousness virus. We never used to be like this – we used to be proud Nigerians back in the days – when we used go to African parties, and jam to Sir Shina Peters and King Sunny Ade together as Nigerians. Where did it go wrong?

Today, I went on youtube to check SBTV (a UK urban music video channel on youtube) – and I saw an acoustic performance by the great Nigerian singer, Nneka. As I scrolled down to read some of the comments under the video – I noticed some youths posted comments like: “she is Igbo, that’s my tribe”, “big up Igbo, Igbo for life”, “repping Igbo hard” etc. I was baffled because this is a music video channel visited by mostly youths raised in the UK – and I was expecting the Nigerians on there to big up, Naija – and not their tribes. This new trend of tribal consciousness is becoming problematic, and we need to put it in check before it consumes us all – and destroy our future generations.

We’re all still Nigerians, pending our disintegration – which is not happening in the foreseeable future. The older folks among us need to stop promoting tribal sentiments – and start raising their kids as Nigerians. The Nigerian diaspora is already divided along class, and country of residence lines – we shouldn’t divide further – what’s already divided.

I know Nigeria is in a sorry state – but we don’t need to write the country off. I believe in the population, and the diversity Nigeria brings. I believe in the Nigerian people. If china can go from being a hellhole, to being a superpower – I believe Nigeria can also do the same. Nigerians are a unique group of people, bond together by the Confluence of Niger & Benue River – and we shouldn't break the natural confluence, which binds us together. Nigeria is Africa – and the future of Africa depends on Nigeria. If Nigeria can rise to its full potentials – I believe Africa definitely has an opportunity to turn the tide – but if Nigeria fails, Africa is going to be exploited forever.

Nigeria is Europe’s mistake – but a blessing to mama Africa. The future of the black race depends on us – we can’t let our race down.

N/B: Some may want to claim that I'm also a tribalist - but the truth is that I was infected with the bug on NL, and I have since rid myself off the silly bug. cool

I did not know that tribalism was such an issue in Nigeria until I joined nairaland and I lived most of my teenage years in Nigeria. My mom is Igbo and my dad a bendelite. It was not only in recent years when I have asked y mom directly about the war that I even comprehended that Biafra in the minds of many was a country. My mom does not hate Yorubas. My cousins give their kids Yoruba middle names. It really pains me when I read how much we hate each other.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:34pm On Apr 25, 2012
Outstrip:

I did not know that tribalism was such an issue in Nigeria until I joined nairaland and I lived most of my teenage years in Nigeria. My mom is Igbo and my dad a bendelite. It was not only in recent years when I have asked y mom directly about the war that I even comprehended that Biafra in the minds of many was a country. My mom does not hate Yorubas. My cousins give their kids Yoruba middle names. It really pains me when I read how much we hate each other.

Welcome to the Jungle! those days are long dead and buried. now we have what you call Federal Character, Quota System, Rotational Presidency grin grin grin we are all religious, ethnic and intellectual bigots. Nothing strange, just a sign of the times
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:38pm On Apr 25, 2012
The post would have had some credibility if it didn't come from a known tribalist on NL. The internet certainly gives a lot of keyboard warriors the perfect avenue to express all the drivel they couldn't in the real world. Hence, the pervading tribalist mindset. It reminds me of the religious section of NL where atheists are very active posters - yet, I've unfortunately never met one in all my years in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 25, 2012
deshclones: Dumb poster...reminiscing indeed..you..biggest bigot ever to cross this path..nansense...go tell your crap to gullible folks...you that has like 3 different i.ds you use to promote your immense and deep hatred for non Yoruba folk...tomorrow bluetooth,eko ile and that scum of the earth arole odua will preach unity..igiotas undecided undecided undecided

God bless u desh...i dont want to engage in any E-fight wt anyone but OP'though u r right with what you said,i didnt take ur post serious at all cos u too z a bigot and am glad u admitted it..wel,if u hv rili changed,then congrats...am proud to call u my broda
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Francuiz: 5:50pm On Apr 25, 2012
Hmmm....
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 25, 2012
Jah Man: @deshclone, you are very correct in calling poster a bigot but you were very insultive.
@OP,you are unmistakably a Nigerian/Yoruba.That is the way they reason.Can you imagine that in your examples you never mentioned where a Yoruba person committed the offence of tribalism?Meanwhile, the Yorubas are the most tribalistic creatures I have ever seen.I had them as good friends back in the univ but not until I met them in droves during NYSC that I knew who they were.
I have worked in two organisations and have noticed how they shamelessly populate everywhere with their kith and kin,whether competency is sacrificed or not.In the middle of discussion in a corporate office(including multinationals) you will see them speaking.."Yoruba-Yoruba",but let your tribesman greet u in your language,they will raise alarm.Very insecured set of folks.
I hate being annoyed to write such things,but I also cannot condone hypocrisy which is what the OP personifies.
You may need to retract your post and do a balanced write-up,indicting your tribe 1st and others.This tribalism ought to stop,starting from the not-so-travelled and self-centred yorubas.
U hit d nail on the head...he contradicted d advice he was giving us but all d same,if he has rili changed then am happy 4him
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Crayola1: 5:59pm On Apr 25, 2012
The fact that your examples are so one sided clearly shows that you are part of the problem yourself. The irony by the OP is thick enough to cut with a knife. You hate tribalism but engage in it? The jokers that new Nairaland has seems to increase by the day lmao.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by SisiKill1: 6:00pm On Apr 25, 2012
Chrisbenogor: Watch this space, even this thread will soon go down in ashes when the tribal thugs show themselves.

By the powers vested in me by the Nairaland Group of Whatever, I hereby rechristen you NOSTRADAMUS!!!

Bear it well and Bear it with Pride!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by aryzgreat: 6:00pm On Apr 25, 2012
@ OP, dis topic shudn't av come from a rabid tribalist like u. Even the post reaks of tribal and one-sided account of tribalism against your usual igbo enemies. This thread shud be thrown to d trash. Let the yoriba tribal e-warlord balance the post and include the tribe that entrench tribalism as a way of life in nigeria in his post, then we can believe he has repented. silly post from the chief tribalist of NL shymmex
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 25, 2012
This guy is haunted by the name IGBO.Isnt this the same guy who wants to come back to Nigeria and rid his beloved Lagos of Igbos?...Load of RUBBISH...

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 25, 2012
I bet if i own nairaland, tribalism would hv been long gone
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 25, 2012
TV/Movies / Re: You Know It's A Nigerian Movie When... by[b] shymmex(m[/b]): 1 day & 3 hours
When you see: 51 Iweka road, Onitsha and 199 good is able road, Aba.

When you see titles like: I love you, love is mine, what's love got to do, love is heaven, heavenly love, love in the sky, skyline love, love from above, above love, where's the love, love falls down etc..

Iweka road, Onitsha has to be the most street in Nigeria ... I need to visit that road, when next I hit Naija.

Advert: ohhhh... mama "Gbam!! Nneka Nneka Nneka, I luff you ohhh... my life ohhhhh, mama Emeka don kill mechuma, I beg ohhh... Chai, Igweeee, tufiakwa.

POSTED BY THE SHYMMEX....less than 48hrs ago...SMH
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 25, 2012
You guys need to watch this space, and stop spreading falsehood about me. I'm NOT a tribalist!!

yes, I did indulge in some heated tribal argument in the past - and I have since rid myself of that thought process. We all need to focus on the Nigerian project, and build a unified Nigeria - joined by the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dirtier Lagos? Heaps Of Refuse Everywhere / NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution / Why Buhari Should Pardon Soldiers Jailed For Refusing To Fight Boko Haram –MURIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.