Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Ifa Foundation International - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ifa Foundation International (2439 Views)

Nigerian Origin Of Internet (ifa) In Yoruba Land / Origin Of Ifa / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ifa Foundation International by NegroNtns(m): 11:19pm On Apr 25, 2012
Re: Ifa Foundation International by Ptolomeus(m): 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2012
Thank you very much for the valuable information.
It still amazes me a bit when showing pictures of certain things. Was formed at the base of sacred things not photographed or made ​​public. But everything is changing.
What is IFA Foundation official opinion on the formation of some women with the title of Iyáonifá and access to oracle in some countries like Argentina and Cuba?
An affectionate greeting.
Re: Ifa Foundation International by Kilode1: 1:26am On Apr 27, 2012
Ptolomeus:
What is IFA Foundation official opinion on the formation of some women with the title of Iyáonifá and access to oracle in some countries like Argentina and Cuba?
An affectionate greeting.

This is an interesting theological question.

My understanding is that Iyanifas are recognized as babalawos, I've read Wande Abimbola ( Awise Awo Agbaye) express this fact, and it is practised as such in Yorubaland.

Yoruba religious culture rarely discriminate against women, except when it comes to specific Oro's with special traditions regarding the participation of our women folk.

The idea of two-ness is a central theme in Yoruba Philosophical worldview, So I will be surprised if Ifa is against the "Ordination" of female Babalawos, now, due to the syncretic nature of Yoruba Religion it will be very easy for many to adopt and fuse of their own unique cultural and social beliefs with their interpretation of Ifa.

Having said all that, I must stress that Yoruba Social Culture is another thing entirely, the contemporary social culture has elements of what can be termed "discrimination" depending on who you are speaking with. Although many conservative Yorubas will argue that these so called "discriminations" are just socially enforced expressions of different or dual purposes.
Re: Ifa Foundation International by Kilode1: 1:49am On Apr 27, 2012
Thank you very much for the valuable information.
It still amazes me a bit when showing pictures of certain things. Was formed at the base of sacred things not photographed or made ​​public. But everything is changing.

I've always wondered about these creative images myself, but I don't think one should sweat it. People are dynamic, Your Ori is different from mine and your Orisa can speak to you in a way that is different from the other person, so people can have different interpretations for what they feel and see in the course of their spiritual or philosophical journey. I like your concluding remarks also "things change"

It's always nice to see people express their Ifa faith beyond colour and cultural boundaries. As long as they pay homage to the source.
Re: Ifa Foundation International by Ptolomeus(m): 5:17pm On Apr 27, 2012
Dear friend.
It's very interesting thread. I hope others will join brothers and together enrich us in knowledge.
I beg you not inte'rprete my comments as critical because they are not, just I try to clarify concepts.

At least in the past, Abimbola was highly critical of the Iyaonifá. His remarks were very hard on the case of Iyá Peggi (Argentina) a Cuban woman and a Jewish-American. Abimbola strongly condemned these acts in 2003 and he will explain at length, that a man should be Babalawo not a matter of discrimination but of function and gender. In none of the theses of all Nigerian universities prior to 2003, mentions the ceremony or the office of Iyaonifa (Iyanifa). After 2003, indeed, Abimbola changed his address and UNESCO seeks to convince that in Nigeria there is no discrimination against women, and that is total participacition of them in religion.
One of the arguments originally presented Abimbola, is that a woman can never be present on the premises of Odu (Igba Iwa) where a Babalawo must be consecrated.
I reiterate to you that I am not making any criticism, but I try to share knowledge.
I leave then the declaration of the member of International Council of Religious IFA, Chief Fasina Falade, Olubikin in Ile-Ife in March 2003.

Date: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:17 pm
Subject: PRESS RELEASE--D'Haifa title taken!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

ERIWO YA!!! ERIWO YA!!! MARCH 4,2003

To: World Wide Ifa Order

This Council has been viewing and growing concerns on the ongoing
controversy surrounding the report being circulated in effect that
one Ms. D'Haifia who is also the Yeye Araba, claims to be in
possession of Orisa Odu, which was purportedly given to her by the
Olu-Isese, the Araba of Ife, and Chief Makonranwale Adisa Aworeni.
This development has generated unprecedented unease and disquiet
within and outside the World Ifa Community. The Council, in order to
set the records straight, hereby makes the following clarifications:

1. It is forbidden for any female of whatever religious or
spiritual extraction to be in possession of, handle or view Orisa
Odu. This is not in any way discriminatory against womanhood but
rather, it is purely and strictly in consonance with the tenets of
Ifa as expressed in Ofun Meji 16:4, Irete-Osa 221:8; Irete-Ofun
226:18 and Otutupon-Rete 194:11.

2. Any female claiming to be in possession of or handles, or
views Orisa Odu has therefore broken a major taboo of Ifa and has
herself to blame for the physical and spiritual consequences of her
actions.

3. The Council equally notes that neither Ms. D'Haifia nor her
association has any record with the International Council for Ifa
Religion, the umbrella body of all Ifa Adherents the world over.

In conclusion, the Council makes the following declarations:

1. All females are strictly warned in their own physical and
spiritual interests never to contemplate acquiring Orisa Odu, let
alone touching or viewing it. It will do them no good whatsoever,
since failure to own one does not detract them from their spiritual
essence in any way.

2. If any female claims to own an Orisa Odu, such a female is
doing so, contrary to the tenets and injunctions of Ifa. In this
wise, those women in possession of Orisa Odu in whatever shape or
form should consider it of no spiritual value, since those from whom
they claimed to have collected the Odu, are well aware of the
inexorable fact that it is an abomination for a female to own, keep
or view Orisa Odu.

3. For brining the name of Ifa and womanhood into disrepute and
for dragging the revered of Ifa I the mud and by generating avoidable controversy, the International Council for Ifa Religion (of which the Araba of Ife is Chairman, Board of Trustees) hereby withdraws the chieftaincy title of Yeye Araba from Ms. D'Haifa with immediate effect.

4. The Council hereby warns all charlatans, imposters, fakes and
unethical practioners of Ifa to desist forthwith as there will be no
hesitation to invoke all necessary corrective measures on anyone, no
matter his/her position within the Ifa Community.
5. All Temples and Associations of Ifa worship in all parts of
the world are hereby advised to register with the Council unfailingly and as soon as possible to avoid being denied all rights and privileges associated with membership of the Council.

PROFESSOR IDOWU B. ODEYEMI
Balogun Awo Agbaye & President

CHIEF SOLAGBADE POPOOLA
Secretary-General

CHIEF FASINA FALADE
Olubikin of Ile-Ife

Board of Trustees: Chief Aworeni, Professor Wande Abimbola, Chief
Oyewole Odenmakinda, Chief Odutola Akinpelu, Professor Idowu Odeyemi, Chief Ifayikua Odutola, Chief Adeboye Oyesanya, Chief Awodiran Agboola

Source:

http://www.cubayoruba.cult.cu/Mujeres%20e%20Ifa/Medida%20disciplinaria.htm
Re: Ifa Foundation International by Kilode1: 6:27pm On Apr 27, 2012
^
Thank you for posting that. I guess I read Abimbola's opinion after that controversy. So he changed his position to now acknowledge the acceptance of Iyanifas.

Like I said earlier, culture and personality will always influence dogma and religious views.
Re: Ifa Foundation International by Ptolomeus(m): 9:12pm On Apr 27, 2012
The Yoruba traditional religion has different adaptations in the Americas (Santeria, Candomble, Batuque etc.. Etc.).
I am a researcher of the topic, and I can assure you that all these religions have always taken as a reference to Africa.
The complexity of situations like those we are discussing, is that there is great uncertainty in the priests and devotees.
I mean, in South America, any change that would involve a millimeter away from the traditional line, was considered an affront to tradition and roots.
Given that the service lacks a central power (thankfully) we addressed the issue that generates the great danger that the "inventors" always end up destroying what took many decades to build.
Very respectfully, I do not think it was happy Abimbola's performance. I do not judge their decision, but yes theirs contradictions, which affect and harm the cult.
But this is just my humble opinion.
I hope my bad English can be understood.
Warm regards to all!

(1) (Reply)

Woman Wrapper .... / The Meaning Of This: / How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.