Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup (16197 Views)

How To Make Uha Soup And Enjoy With Fufu / Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks / How To Make Uha Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by otuwe(f): 12:01am On Nov 10, 2007
hi

pls i need a recipe for ukazi soup(igbo type. . .not afang)

and also uha soup

where are u amaka

pls help me out

cheers
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2008
Hmm,
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by MethodMan3(m): 3:47pm On Jun 19, 2008
otuwe:

hi

please i need a recipe for ukazi soup(igbo type. . .not afang)

and also uha soup

where are u amaka

please help me out

cheers

u paid 100naira at a cyber cafe to scream to the world u need recipe, when you can easily go to a market near you!

na wa for some people ooo!
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2008
UKAZI SOUP

ukazi
uziza/utazi leve(optional)
palm kernel/palm oil
achi/ukpo/ofor (thickners)
egusi(qty depends on how u want it) u can use egusi for lumps too if u know how 2 do dt but if not, just use small qty egusi e.g 1 milk cup)
stock fish/cat fish/fresh fish/ smoked fish
goat /cow/bush meat
snail/perwinkles or isam
ponmo
achara (grass)
nsukka/cotonou/red/dry pepper
ground crayfish
maggi
saltto taste

Wash and boil meat/stockfish
Add desired quanty of water ,add palm oil and allow 2 boil.
add ground pepper n crayfish and allow 2 boil
add achi,allow 2 boil
add egusi n allow 2 boil well(note egusi can come before achi)
add achara
add other ingredients and allow 2 boil well.
add d vegetable
add salt,maggi n cook for 5mins
bring down n allow 2 cool
serve wth fufu/eba/semo

ukazi is one delicious soup i relish.The methods of cooking dffers but d basics is d most important.wish u luck
U will enjoy it more if u use palm kernel instead of palm oil
salt to taste
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Leilah(f): 10:44am On Aug 05, 2008
Uha leaves
Crayfish (blended)
Achi or Ukpo (I use cornflour)
Assorted Meats
Stock Fish
Dry Fish
Snail (I cant get them here so I leave them out and make up by adding lots of dry fish)
Peppers
Salt
2 ogiri
knorr cubes (six)
palm oil

Directions

Precook meat, season to taste
When your meat is ready,

Add crayfish, assorted fish and soup thickener and little bit palm oil to a pot of water and cook til it looks thick

When you have achieved your desired consistencie, add the Uha to the pot and cook for another 3-5 minutes, and disolve ogiri wraps in some water and add to the pot. I then cook it for a little bit more (about ten mins or so)

I serve it with Ola Ola pounded yam (its so nice)

Not sure if this is even the correct way,

1 Like

Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by AmakaOne(f): 3:47pm On Aug 05, 2008
OHA OR ORA SOUP

INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES
Oha Leaves 1 medium bunch
Dried Meat 8 medium pieces
Smoked Fish 1 medium size
Stock Fish 4 medium pieces
Ogiri 1 wrap
Achi 2 tablespoon
Dry pepper (ground) 1 tablespoon
Oporo 1 Cup
Palm Oil 1 cooking spoon
Water 2 litres
Salt To taste

METHOD
Boil the stockfish till soft
Soak the dried meat in boiling water for few minutes, then wash thoroughly to remove sand and burn smell.
Boil two litres of water
Add the stockfish and the meat
Wash the smoked fish and add
Wash the Oporo
Grind the Achi and dissolve in cold water thoroughly and add to the soup. Stir.
Add the Oporo, dry pepper, Ogiri and Maggi cubes and plam oil
Stir thoroughly and reduce the heat
Pick wash and cut the Oha leaves with your fingers
Add to the soup and salt to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes

Courtesy of Maggi E- cook book grin
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by AmakaOne(f): 3:52pm On Aug 05, 2008
Ingredients:
Egusi(melon)
Ukpo or Achi(soup thickeners)
Achara(bamboo but the softer one)I don't know what they call it here
Ngara azu(small dry fish)
Ayiya(crayfish)
Azu okpo(dry fish)
Okporoko (stock fish)
Aku agbo(melon balls/biscuit)
Mgbe(kind of seafood, don’t know the English name)
Assorted anu (meat), also assorted bush meat and dry meat (kai to die for)
Manu nri (Palm oil)
Ukazi (shredded)

First cook your okporoko and other hard meat like cow leg and ox tail. Boil meat and azu okpo; add pepper and oil as the meat is boiling. Watch the tenderness, you do not want it to be soggy.
After add ukpo or achi…I prefer ukpo because of the taste. Allow few minutes and add ayiya and ngara azu and let it boil…. allow few minutes to boil, and then taste the sauce/soup to see if it is done. Also the color and the thickness of the broth should let you know if the ingredients are done.
At this time your soup should be slightly thick but not too thick like Eguisi soup…be careful adding Egusi at this time because it also serves as soup thickener.
Allow it to boil for few minutes then add the aku agbo and achara…few more minutes for it to simmer then add Ukazi leaves.

Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Leilah(f): 1:31am On Aug 07, 2008
hey what can i substitute the achara with? i dont think i can find that here, is it a must have? also what about this melon biscuit what is that? would egusi alone not be ok instead of melon biscuits?
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Leilah(f): 1:34am On Aug 07, 2008
also, this mgbe is that sea snails? is there anything else i can use? maybe mgbe is periwinkles??
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by LondonCool(m): 11:08pm On Aug 11, 2008
They sell large snails at Peckham Rye Lane market. They range from £1.50 to £2.00 each.
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by TOYOSI20(f): 2:47am On Aug 12, 2008
. . , . . . . . . . , looks great, looking forward to trying it. , . . cool
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Leilah(f): 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2008
ok thanks. smiley
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by NaJaHaJe(f): 3:48am On Dec 23, 2008
what is Oha in english? e.g like Ugwu is Pumkin leaves in English.
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by Leilah(f): 4:57pm On Dec 23, 2008
From my research they are yam leaves
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by royalsweetness(f): 4:30pm On Nov 13, 2013
Leilah: From my research they are yam leaves
Omg, where did you do this research please? How on earth can Oha be yam leaves. Please don't make anyone to go and cook yam leaves. Oha grows on its own tree. Most times the trees are big and tall with lots of tiny leaves (oha). Just followed this post from google, I know its old but someone else my see it and cook yam leaves
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by chidarl85: 8:21pm On Nov 17, 2013
Hello...go to http://chichiscuisine..com/2013/11/ora-oha-soup.html?m=0 for the oha soup recipe. There are step by step pictures on how to make the soup so you cant miss it. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by royalsweetness(f): 10:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
chidarl85: Hello...go to http://chichiscuisine..com/2013/11/ora-oha-soup.html?m=0 for the oha soup recipe. There are step by step pictures on how to make the soup so you cant miss it. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Wow, your oha soup looks very delicious, wish I could take it out of the screen and eat it. I especially like dry fish in oha. I've been cooking the soup for years now, so I'm kinda a pro in that aspect but I'd check out your blog for other foods.
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by chidarl85: 7:56am On Nov 18, 2013
royalsweetness:

Wow, your oha soup looks very delicious, wish I could take it out of the screen and eat it. I especially like dry fish in oha. I've been cooking the soup for years now, so I'm kinda a pro in that aspect but I'd check out your blog for other foods.

Tnx for the compliment dear. I'm an ora soup lover too. Hope u find something on the blog u like.
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by royalsweetness(f): 2:49pm On Nov 19, 2013
chidarl85:

Tnx for the compliment dear. I'm an ora soup lover too. Hope u find something on the blog u like.
I found how to cook the cocoyam version of oha soup. I call it the Anambra version. I've always used just achi as thickner but I'd be trying cocoyam soon thanks to you. I also love the chef of the week feature on your blog, I hope to send a pix grin
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by chidarl85: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2013
royalsweetness:
I found how to cook the cocoyam version of oha soup. I call it the Anambra version. I've always used just achi as thickner but I'd be trying cocoyam soon thanks to you. I also love the chef of the week feature on your blog, I hope to send a pix grin

Hehe...I'm an Anambra beb and I used to cook ora soup wit cocoyam till I got lazy and decided to ditch all dat manual labor of pounding cocoyam. I'll soon try blending it like people have suggested n hope it works...and YES, im looking forward to making u a chef of the week wink
Re: Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup by marketresearch: 5:01pm On Jan 14, 2015
Oha Dry Leaves

Rare Seasonal Leaf

Prepared in the same style as Bitterleaf soup, this rare seasonal leaf is used for making traditional Igbo soups.

for Nigerians looking for Oha Dry Leaves in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/oha

(1) (Reply)

Steak Lovers / Teach me How To Cook Fio-fio Or Dried Akidi / Would Love To Know How To Make Tuwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.