Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But (23228 Views)

The World's Most Educated President Is An African. Find Out Who The Person Is / Breaking News: Kogi State Is Under Attack Right Now. DSS Office Under Siege! / Which State Is The Most Educated In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 5:07pm On Apr 30, 2012
No doubt, Imo State is the most educated State in Nigeria......... But

This is a topic that has been discussed extensively in Nairaland (NL) and other Nigerian internet forums
Some of the arguments on NL dates back to several years. Here are a few examples

https://www.nairaland.com/237534/look-who-going-school-nigeria/11
https://www.nairaland.com/36515/who-most-educated-nigerians

And the current one:

https://www.nairaland.com/925938/which-state-most-educated-nigeria

Now that we have laid it to rest. Let's move on to the next level of discussion:

Who graduates most amongst the Nigerian states/zones?
Who advances further (MS, Ph.D) most?
The Nigerian professors at the universities you study (or studied) in, where do they come from?

Any data for those?

I have some anecdotal evidences (both in and out of Nigeria) to support some claims I will be making, but I'd prefer we get real data. So please do not argue if you have no data to support your point. The rate of graduation in Nigeria has been a muted thing because both NUC and NYSC have failed in their duty to compel higher institutions to publish names, states of origin and states of residence of all graduands before they can partake in the NYSC program.

Now moving back to Imo state, I will like to ask:

What has been the concrete outcome of the high number of university admissions credited to that state? I believe most of these people graduate. What have they contributed to the lot of the state? The same cannot exactly be said for Anambra and Abia both of which have some level of evidence of the dividend of education by way of practical things done by the graduates. These two states boast of the most entrepreneurial people in Nigeria. Abia, from the data presented by Chuba1 (http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/ext/latest_release/ssd09.pdf), will rank somewhere among the first 10 most educated in the country. Many of the graduates from Abia and Anambra are self employed, putting their education into some entrepreneurial endeavour. In contrast, I know of many graduates from Imo who left school since eon and still have not found their dream job; one of them who graduated in 1999 only got an underemployed position last year.

There is a common saying that Imo State is a civil service state. Is that where all the education ends up? Or is it that they study mainly non-STEM courses that usually end you in non-entrepreneurial endeavours? This is the same for Ondo and Ekiti both of which like to boast (unsubstantiated boasts though) of having many professors, with nothing to show for it. I was once told that they study mainly religion and Yoruba language grin grin grin grin

Other states that have put their education into some practical application are Ogun and Delta. Overall, the entire country has not put its education into any useful use.

Take home message: education is not an end; it is a means to achieving an end.

2 Likes

Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 5:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
Other states that have put their education into some practical application are Ogun and Delta. Overall, the entire country has not put its education into any useful use.

This appears to be restricted mainly to Igbos and Urhobos (Delta) and Ijebus and Egbas (Ogun)
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74:

This is the same for Ondo and Ekiti both of which boast (unsubstantiated boasts though) of many professors with nothing to show for it. I was once told that they study mainly religion and Yoruba language grin grin grin grin

Unsubstantiated by quacks like you?
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 6:19pm On Apr 30, 2012
Aigbofa:

Unsubstantiated by quacks like you?

It is unsubstantiated because they are the ones making the claim. There is no independent/external corroboration. Self praise is no recommendation, dude. The fact that both states have nothing to show for the claims speaks volumes about the claim.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by olayinka1987: 6:21pm On Apr 30, 2012
Most educated in Fraud & Kidnapping. Just like most places where Igbos live in mass grin
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 6:23pm On Apr 30, 2012
olayinka1987: Most educated in Fraud & Kidnapping. Just like most places where Igbos live in mass en masse grin

Please take your agbero and almajirism elsewhere. You illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by olayinka1987: 6:59pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74:

Please take your agbero and almajirism elsewhere. You illiterate.

Igboland = Kidnapping and Fraud capital of Africa. Congrats wink
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by PhysicsQED(m): 7:29pm On Apr 30, 2012
The "Ekiti produces a high(er) number of professors" claim does seem to have mirrored some element of reality at one time, though. I don't know how true it is now.

G J Afolabi Ojo (geography/history)
J.F. Ade Ajayi (history)
Adegoke Olubummo (math)
D. F. Ojo (physics)
Sam Aluko (economics)
Benjamin Osuntokun (neuroepidemiology)

I think at one time they had a real head start on some other groups. Don't know about the proportion of professors to the general population compared to other groups of similar size though. In all likelihood, a few other ethnic sub-groups of similar size could probably list a similar number of professors back in the 60s and 70s as well.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by ak47mann(m): 7:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
Now i believe without igbos NL politics will be dead by now cool cool
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by oturugo(m): 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2012
PhysicsQED: The "Ekiti produces a high(er) number of professors" claim does seem to have mirrored some element of reality at one time, though. I don't know how true it is now.

G J Afolabi Ojo (geography/history)
J.F. Ade Ajayi (history)
Adegoke Olubummo (math)
D. F. Ojo (physics)
Sam Aluko (economics)
Benjamin Osuntokun (neuroepidemiology)

I think at one time they had a real head start on some other groups. Don't know about the proportion of professors compared to other groups of similar size though. In all likelihood, some other groups of similar size could probably list a similar number of professors back in the 60s and 70s as well.
Ekiti has lost it. Even Edo state is producing more than Ekiti now. It's true.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by PhysicsQED(m): 7:42pm On Apr 30, 2012
oturugo:

Lol, Andre Uweh, how do you know "Ekiti has lost it"? Does anybody anywhere know how many professors they are producing now?

And btw, you can't compare the number from Edo state w/ the number from Ekiti state for reasons of population. Anyway, I suspect that what was Edo state back then was producing more professors than several other places in Nigeria cool back then and now, but that just might be my bias talking.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 8:40pm On Apr 30, 2012
oturugo:

[size=18pt]Nigeria: 'Why Igbo Youths Drop Out of School'
[/size]
Failure to address the realities of the socio-economic problems facing the individual passing through the education system has been identified as the major problem facing education in the country.

President, Nigeria Book Foundation, Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike has attributed the reason why people drop out of school to the result of the Igboman's get-rich-quick propensity.

"Drug peddling, 419, internet business deals, political patronage, and other instant money spinning avenues have out distanced education as the means of acquiring the present day social indices of success, "namely a "white house", the okwu oto ekene eze automobile, paper titles from traditional rulers, and spraying of bundles of dollar bills at the slightest provocation".

In her remark, Chairman, Board of Trustees of the Education Trust Fund (ETF), Chief Mrs. Olutoyin Olakunri said that gender crisis manifests in Nigerian education system line in most of Africa.

To solve the problem, she said that a new awarenss and zeal in gender research must be developed, accelerated and sustained.

Olakunri highlighted the importance of Boy Child Education in Nigeria as a whole in the South East, adding that there is a national gender disparity in basic education in enrolment, retention and completion against girls.

She also said that there are regional variations in education with girls and women from Northern Nigeria and rural communities generally at disadvantage.

"The national literacy rate for females is only 56 compared to 72 for males, and in certain states the female literace enrolnment and achievement rates are much lower", she added.

She said that following this, strategies have been mapped out to address the imbalance by raising national awareness on girls education, building of schools technical capacity to develop girl-friendly school environment.

This Day.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200607130043.html

Just so you know what we Nigerian see
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Yeske2(m): 8:42pm On Apr 30, 2012
So much whining here because yansh don open about who's more or most educated. Rest this case guys make we rest abeg. Having most professors doesn't translate to literacy rate, don't care which state or tribe has most but poverty rate, literacy rate, access to health facilities, maternal and childhood mortality, immunization coverage, unemployment rate, jamb and waec stats etc matter most to me and we all know who leads the pack.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 8:49pm On Apr 30, 2012
Yeske!:
So much whining here because yansh don open about who's more or most educated. Rest this case guys make we rest abeg. Having most professors doesn't translate to literacy rate, don't care which state or tribe has most but poverty rate, literacy rate, access to health facilities, maternal and childhood mortality, immunization coverage, unemployment rate, jamb and waec stats etc matter most to me and we all know who leads the pack.

Maybe you should talk to your brothers. They are not bothered about education in Igboland rather it is the competition of yorubas that is driving them mad.

Silly people
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2012
Even if some Igbo youths drop out of school, the number of those in school is greater than those from the SW. WAEC and JAMB figures show that.

Alj Harem how about Yoruba youths who drop out of school in pursuit of motor park jobs and almajirism? Is it because you guys live in denial and do not discuss your problems?
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 8:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
Yoruba Cities Littered with Homeless Beggars, all Children and Women
Daily Independent, Hakeem Jamiu

https://www.nairaland.com/223963/yorubas-littered-homeless-beggars-all
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 8:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74: Even if some Igbo youths drop out of school, the number of those in school is greater than those from the SW. WAEC and JAMB figures show that.

Alj Harem how about Yoruba youths who drop out of school in pursuit of motor park jobs and almajirism? Is it because you guy live in denial and do not discuss your problems?

Yes sir, how is it my fault that Igbo boys are dropping out ?

You call yoruba all the time, I could careless about yorubas, but since you are always on their case comparing and ridiculing them you have me to contend with.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 8:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

https://www.nairaland.com/149827/emerging-social-almajiris-yorubaland
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:02pm On Apr 30, 2012
alj harem:

Yes sir, how is it my fault that Igbo boys are dropping out ?

You call yoruba all the time, I could careless about yorubas, but since you are always on their case comparing and ridiculing them you have me to contend with.

10 Igbo youths drop out to learn a trade or begin to buy and sell
20 Yoruba youths drop put and join the motor park tout business, agbero and almajirism. I wonder which is better.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 9:02pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74: Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

https://www.nairaland.com/149827/emerging-social-almajiris-yorubaland

Blahahaha grin grin grin grin

We know we are not educated and we are almajiri.

We are not saying we are good either but certainly aljamjiris in yoruba land is not what is causing Igbo boys to drop out ? Or is it grin grin grin grin
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 9:04pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74:
10 Igbo youths drop out to learn a trade or begin to buy and sell
20 Yoruba youths drop put and join the motor park tout business, agbero and almajirism. I wonder which is better.

Yes Yes Yes, for every 1 Igbo boy that drop out 1000 yoruba people drop out, does not matter. We are not boasting to be the best.

Why are Igbo boys dropping out to do drugs in malaysia ?
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:05pm On Apr 30, 2012
alj harem:

Yes Yes Yes, for every 1 Igbo boy that drop out 1000 yoruba people drop out, does not matter. We are not boasting to be the best.

Why are Igbo boys dropping out to do drugs in malaysia ?

What is causing Yoruba youths to drop out of school? And why are the ones in UK stealing UK govt's money every day?
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 9:05pm On Apr 30, 2012
Failure to address the realities of the socio-economic problems facing the individual passing through the education system has been identified as the major problem facing education in the country.

President, Nigeria Book Foundation, [size=13pt]Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike has attributed the reason why people drop out of school to the result of the Igboman's get-rich-quick propensity.
[/size]
[size=15pt]"Drug peddling, 419, internet business deals, political patronage, and other instant money spinning avenues have out distanced education as the means of acquiring the present day social indices of success, "namely a "white house", the okwu oto ekene eze automobile, paper titles from traditional rulers, and spraying of bundles of dollar bills at the slightest provocation".[/size]

In her remark, Chairman, Board of Trustees of the Education Trust Fund (ETF), Chief Mrs. Olutoyin Olakunri said that gender crisis manifests in Nigerian education system line in most of Africa.

To solve the problem, she said that a new awarenss and zeal in gender research must be developed, accelerated and sustained.

Olakunri highlighted the importance of Boy Child Education in Nigeria as a whole in the South East, adding that there is a national gender disparity in basic education in enrolment, retention and completion against girls.

She also said that there are regional variations in education with girls and women from Northern Nigeria and rural communities generally at disadvantage.

"The national literacy rate for females is only 56 compared to 72 for males, and in certain states the female literace enrolnment and achievement rates are much lower", she added.

She said that following this, strategies have been mapped out to address the imbalance by raising national awareness on girls education, building of schools technical capacity to develop girl-friendly school environment.

This Day.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200607130043.html

Just so you know what we Nigerian see
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 9:07pm On Apr 30, 2012
Well that is an Igbo man like you

Prof Ike have said it all
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
Two Yoruba Nigerians Jailed Over £2.3m Olympic Authority Fraud In London

https://www.nairaland.com/926296/two-nigerians-jailed-over-2.3m
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
alj harem: Well that is an Igbo man like you

Prof Ike have said it all

The man who reported the Yoruba almajiri is Yoruba, Hakeem Jamiu
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2012
Can you tell me why the NURTW is only active in Yorubaland, killing maiming and burning each other?
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74:

The man who reported the Yoruba almajiri is Yoruba, Hakeem Jamiu
grin grin grin grin

it seems like you are not reading well. I SAID YES WE ARE ALJMAJIRIS, ABEGOROS ETC

Is that the reason why Igbo boys are dropping out to go carry drugs ? Yes or No ? because it seems you are fasinated about yoruba too much thus we would like to discuss why the yoruba aljmajiri is causing Igbo boys to drop out and do drugs.
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2012
alj harem: grin grin grin grin

it seems like you are not reading well. I SAID YES WE ARE ALJMAJIRIS, ABEGOROS ETC

Is that the reason why Igbo boys are dropping out to go carry drugs ? Yes or No ? because it seems you are fasinated about yoruba too much thus we would like to discuss why the yoruba aljmajiri is causing Igbo boys to drop out and do drugs.

Is it so you can run to London and steal their money that you drop out of school? Why is 99% of Nigerian corruption reported in the UK perpetrated by your people?
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:13pm On Apr 30, 2012
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by aljharem(m): 9:15pm On Apr 30, 2012
Adejoro74:

Is it so you can run to London and steal their money that you drop out of school? Why is 99% of Nigerian corruption reported in the UK perpetrated by your people?

dude you are getting boring. Yes Yorubas are very very bad, you still have not explained why the most educated Igbo boys are dropping out of school cry cry cry
Re: Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But by Adejoro74: 9:17pm On Apr 30, 2012
alj harem:

dude you are getting boring. Yes Yorubas are very very bad, you still have not explained why the most educated Igbo boys are dropping out of school cry cry cry

You have to explain yours first before you expect an answer from another. Charity begins at home. Why do Yorubas drop out of school? Why is that that despite Igbos dropping out of school (as you claim), the number of Igbos in schools is still by far greater than that of your people? Your article was written in 2006. You are not current, dude.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saraki: How Nigerians Can Prevent Election Rigging / Chris Ngige Shows His Traditional Dance Moves (Photos) / Jonathan, Buhari's Transition Teams Meet In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.