Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? (31130 Views)

Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? / What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Acelifted: 7:21am On May 01, 2012
I have heard many warnings about using a V6 engine, ranging from high cost of maintenance to non-durability. I am about changing the engine of my Toyota Camry 2002-2003 (big Daddy) and once again, my mechanic has warned that he prefers i get a V4, even though the price difference is alarming (N110,000 as against N320,000 of V4).

What is really wrong with a V6 engine? have auto makers made a mistake by manufacturing it? Haba!
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 8:00am On May 01, 2012
Nothing is wrong wit a V6, our mechanics dont understand its complex nature, v6 for me, is better since i like the power it delivers. It's also smoother. I have a straight-six engine which has been so reliable

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by blacklion(m): 8:13am On May 01, 2012
Any problems with V8 engines?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 8:22am On May 01, 2012
I do not think anything is wrong either,if you can trade off fuel economy for power...have a little money for its maintenance.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Nobody: 9:01am On May 01, 2012
v6 common problems are gear box and fuel consumption.

My car dey drink fuel like humans drink water when thirsty

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Lexusgs430: 9:07am On May 01, 2012
blacklion: Any problems with V8 engines?

V8 in my summation, are one of the best engines out there. Three points to note -:
(1) cost of fuelling ie consumption
(2) our mechanics scared of the V8 under the bonnet
(3) if the engine goes wrong, would be best to get another better engine than repair
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 9:36am On May 01, 2012
Am not hear to talk about how good, durable & fuel efficient a V6 can be. If its not that good, i wouldnt have gone for another V6 as my second car. Am not saying Inline 4 engine is not good, it depends on what you want out of a car, which am not here to discuss, since its not what this thread is all about.

That clown that told you to convert your car to I4 or swap in I4 engine to your V6 engine bay should not have any business with spanners. Or at least, should not have any business with modern cars with EFI engines like yours. Does he really know what it takes to do such a conversion? So he thinks it ends only with the engine swap? Interesting!

To swap in an I4 engine into that your car, that particluar I4 engine harness/wires, not just any Camry I4 harness, will also be swapped in, including that engine complete sensors, relays & ECU/PCM, which must be done with that I4 engine wiring diagram, which I bet you dont have. First, you need to know the paritcular I4 engine model number to get the exact diagram. Also, you should note that the transmission maynot match. So you will need to buy a complete I4 engine with tansmission bolted to it, including the tansmission sensors, harness & ECU too. The radiator maynot match as well, due to different positioning of the water pumps & thermostat housing on both the V6 & I4 engines. So you may need to swap in the I4 radiator too. The best way to do such conversion is to get a donor car & transfer what you need from the donor car to the car been converted. Remember, any wrong connection of the engine harness will result to a lot of issues. Either the car wont start at all or even if it starts, it will never run properly.

Its your call.

Ikenna.

9 Likes

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by blacklion(m): 10:27am On May 01, 2012
Lexusgs430:

V8 in my summation, are one of the engines out there. Three points to note -:
(1) cost of fuelling ie consumption
(2) our mechanics scared of the V8 under the bonnet
(3) if the engine goes wrong, would be best to get another better engine than repair

Thanks bro. But its like most SUV come with V8 so one has no other option if going for SUV.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 1:53pm On May 01, 2012
toba: v6 common problems are gear box and fuel consumption.

i'm sure you'r referring to honda accord(i dunno),but i dont think it's a problem with all V6 engines...they can be thirsty but thats normal, if you consider the difference in driving pleasure with a 4banger. Its a case of 'you cant eat ur cake and have it'
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by blacklion(m): 3:52am On May 02, 2012
toba: v6 common problems are gear box and fuel consumption.

Can you give us more idea of your car drinking fuel? Say a trip from Lekki Phase 1 to MMA on a Sunday afternoon when there is light traffic, how much do you estimate it would consume?

20ltrs? 30ltrs?

Quarter-tank? Half-tank? What's the capacity of your tank?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by nku080(m): 10:05am On May 02, 2012
Ikenna351: Am not hear to talk about how good, durable & fuel efficient a V6 can be. If its not that good, i wouldnt have gone for another V6 as my second car. Am not saying Inline 4 engine is not good, it depends on what you want out of a car, which am not here to discuss, since its not what this thread is all about.

That clown that told you to convert your car to I4 or swap in I4 engine to your V6 engine bay should not have any business with spanners. Or at least, should not have any business with modern cars with EFI engines like yours. Does he really know what it takes to do such a conversion? So he thinks it ends only with the engine swap? Interesting!

To swap in an I4 engine into that your car, that particluar I4 engine harness/wires, not just any Camry I4 harness, will also be swapped in, including that engine complete sensors, relays & ECU/PCM, which must be done with that I4 engine wiring diagram, which I bet you dont have. First, you need to know the paritcular I4 engine model number to get the exact diagram. Also, you should note that the transmission maynot match. So you will need to buy a complete I4 engine with tansmission bolted to it, including the tansmission sensors, harness & ECU too. The radiator maynot match as well, due to different positioning of the water pumps & thermostat housing on both the V6 & I4 engines. So you may need to swap in the I4 radiator too. The best way to do such conversion is to get a donor car & transfer what you need from the donor car to the car been converted. Remember, any wrong connection of the engine harness will result to a lot of issues. Either the car wont start at all or even if it starts, it will never run properly.

Its your call.

Ikenna.

@ IKENNA God bless my brother....@ACELIFTED the best thing to do is to maintain your 6 cylinder engine, instead of converting the car to 4cylinder accept you are ready to hate your self
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by cinzo: 11:03am On May 02, 2012
When it comes to V6 engines, most naija roadside mechanics are guessing and doing trial and error.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Slimzain: 12:19pm On May 02, 2012
Hi Guys I use mitsubishi Galant v6 24v 2001 and it doesnt consume fuel at all.
I travelled from Akure to Lagos and I used 38 litres of fuel.

The comsumption depends on the make of the car really.

For instance BMW v6 whichever year consumes more than mitsubishi v6 whichever year.

Also, changing the engine entirely is the best.
For our mechanics, they can't handle V6 except you take it to the car manufacturer place most of which we dont have available/cheap.

For me I travel a lot so I prefer v6 engines anytime. The last time I went to Ibadan,I spent 50 minutes from berger to Ibadan. It would have been lesser but you know our bad road.

V6 engines are rugged and they last well. But be dutiful and serious with the servicing. The gear if it is auto, the engine (buy good oil filter #1500 and above) Use a steady Oil Mobil preferably.

Do not do funny conversions on your engine If you do not get an electronic part of your engine, park the car until you get one.

Have a steady mechanic and a good one pls. Follow the history of you repairs.

Do this and you will enjoy any V6 turbo engine.

Enjoy guys!!!!

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 1:05pm On May 02, 2012
Slim@zain:

For instance BMW v6 whichever year consumes more than mitsubishi v6 whichever year.

For our mechanics, they can't handle V6 except you take it to the car manufacturer place most of which we dont have available/cheap.

For me I travel a lot so I prefer v6 engines anytime. The last time I went to Ibadan,I spent 50 minutes from berger to Ibadan. It would have been lesser but you know our bad road.

V6 engines are rugged and they last well. But be dutiful and serious with the servicing. The gear if it is auto, the engine (buy good oil filter #1500 and above) Use a steady Oil Mobil preferably.

Do not do funny conversions on your engine If you do not get an electronic part of your engine, park the car until you get one.

Enjoy guys!!!!

well, i wont totally agree with you, there are different badges to bmw inline 6 cylinder engines,e.g, for the 3series there's the 320i,323i,325i,328i,330i and 335i. Mine is an e36 320i,which implies 2.0ltr. 6 cylinders. It doesnt consume fuel like the honda accord v6,or even ur mitsu...so i can contest this model wit ur (maybe) 3.0ltr mitsubishi(i dunno ur specific). So the higher d numbers in a bmw,the more performance and consequently consumption.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by seal777(m): 3:48pm On May 02, 2012
I drive a V6 Toyota Camry ( 2yrs plus now ) and i have this summation : its either a V6 engine cars or nothing.

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by london2lasgidi(m): 4:35pm On May 02, 2012
Get yourself a V8 engine and get on my level. cool
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by OAM4J: 4:39pm On May 02, 2012
Nothing is wrong with it. Nigerian mechanics don't just know how to handle handle it.

If you have a problem with it, don't bother changing the rings or repairing the engine, just change it completely and enjoy your ride.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by coolguy2002: 4:44pm On May 02, 2012
n6 is a nice car but cant run
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 02, 2012
blacklion: Any problems with V8 engines?
on ur keke?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by victorazy(m): 5:17pm On May 02, 2012
My V6 Laguna Renault is killing me. My problem is that e too over heat, and the greatest mistake I made is to buy d same V6 engine for 90k and still having problem.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by iykay4455(m): 5:33pm On May 02, 2012
The only problem I have with a V6 engine is the fuel consumption
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yahla: 5:49pm On May 02, 2012
I drive a V6 Honda Accord. The whole issue of fuel consumption is grossly over exaggerated.
Like someone rightly pointed out, the smoothness and power is beautiful. Fear of V6 in Nigeria is as a result of inadequate knowledge.
Key is: Treat her right, and she'll reciprocate. If you drive a V6, you will never want to drive a V4 again.
My next car would surely be a V8. About the whole conversion thing, bros, you go school na. Why would you allow road side mechanics that are often illiterates
sell such garbage to you. Go on-line, research it yourself. Google is a friend to all.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 02, 2012
i always tell my friends if not V6 for now , then it has to be V8 I dont like the word fuel consumption angry If you can afford to get your self a car why can't you buy the fuel it always 5liters difference I repeat V6 or my 10Plugs LEGIDIZ foot

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by purefella(m): 5:51pm On May 02, 2012
If a car is not v6 and above count me out on buying it , my totyota avalon that was stolen never gave me a problem and my jaguar am using now never give me any problem with very low fuel consumption

V6 and above is the best for male drivers , while v4 is very good for our woman
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Emeanua(m): 6:06pm On May 02, 2012
Everything is wrong with v6 especially the overheating problem common with v6.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by gentlegg(m): 6:13pm On May 02, 2012
In fact that your mechanic should be an Abakaliki boy. Even if you later buy V3 please don't enter the garage of that mechanic again. I will never buy I4 engine in my life again after i bought my V6 Honda Legend. Again all these accusation of higher fuel consumption with V6 is either partially true or completely false. I usually use +/-10litres from my base to my village when i was driving I4 Mitsubishi Gallant, and also use exactly +/-10litres with my V6 Legend now. I've traveled severally from Onitsha to Enugu(going and coming back)with 30litres fuel with my Legend and somebody says V6 drinks fuel. Fuel consumption is largely dependent on the state of your engine.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by gentlegg(m): 6:16pm On May 02, 2012
Emeanua: Everything is wrong with v6 especially the overheating problem common with v6.
Have you ever owned a clean V6 car? not buying Nigerian used and dumped car by the road side

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by tripler: 6:26pm On May 02, 2012
V6 Engine is a perfect engine in its perfect shape, super charge, to me its V6 ride is for the big men and guys, just the way V8 is for the bigger men.

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 02, 2012
Slim@zain:

Enjoy guys!!!!

Get ur facts ryt, Bmw does not have a V6 engine. All BMW 6cyl. Cars use straight sixes (also known as 'inline 6s'). BMW might build a V6 engine in the future but as of now, they don't hv 1.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by mrdonbuchi: 7:17pm On May 02, 2012
V6 is the perfect tool in the hands of a good driver. I stepped up from 2007 camry i4 to 2008 benz c300 V6. Boy o boy. Its either a v6 up or a POWER BIKE.

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 02, 2012
london2lasgidi: Get yourself a V8 engine and get on my level. cool
=))º°˚˚˚°ºНAĦAНAº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)). The Camry V6 engine is mounted traversely, not longitudinally. The vehicle in question is a front-wheel-drive, V8 + FWD set up= recipe for disaster.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by biggiyke(m): 7:38pm On May 02, 2012
my v6 everyday.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bus Hits & Kills Some Cows In Delta State (Photos) / Snake Found Inside A Bus. / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.