Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87537 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by pathology(m): 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2013
pls does anyone where i can get complete water testing kits in kaduna,ibadan or abuja and how much does it cost.. is biodisc good for hatchery
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 11, 2013
I don't know of either of the state, but you can get it in lagos at abbatior agege, bio disc is very good for catfish hatchery.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by pathology(m): 3:39pm On Jul 12, 2013
pls do u hav the idea of bio disc price and where can i get it. how much does a complete water test kit cost in lag
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by pathology(m): 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2013
how do i know it is good for hatchery, any documented facts on it
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by omonnakoda: 12:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
I think there are so many knwledgeabble here. Unfortunately they are not very good at communicating their knowledge.
The simple question one would like to ask is:
how much does it cost to produce one kilogram of fish.
There are always assumptions here and there but a simple Model answer will do .
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 4:11pm On Jul 23, 2013
10,000 pcs of juvenile and jumbo availabble for sale

For enquiry
Visit
abeokuta exp way ilepa akokan bus-stop, by oloruntoba estate ifo, ogun state
www.araratnigeria..com araratnigeria@gmail.com
08053018934, 07089391123 or bb:25F845B8
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by pathology(m): 9:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
how much is biodisc, is it available in lagos
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ayodejy05(m): 8:47pm On Aug 01, 2013
Follow this link if you wish to invest in any livestock farming and know what you need to know http://animalprof..com
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by samshoz(m): 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2013
Fellow farmers, what say u about tilapia n catfish farming? Am kinda willing to add tilapia to my catfish but wondering how to go about it.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2013
2 more days to go

CATFISH FARMING SEMINAR
ARARAT NIGERIA ENTERPRISES

invites you to a one (1) day full practical seminar on investment opportunities in catfish fingerlings production.

TRAINING OBJECTIVES
1) Catfish Fingerlings production and hatchery management
2)Fish disease control and stress management

TARGETED AUDIENCE
1 Aspiring catfish farmer
2 Farm managers
3 Retirees
4 Student
5 UN-employed

BENEFIT OF THE SEMINAR
* To see and know how to perform the hatchery on your own
* Free guidelines on catfish fingerlings production
* free testing of your water
* how to extract the male sperm without killing the fish
* how to remove the pituitaries gland from the skull and use to inject
* how to hatch up to 20,000 fries
* free testing of your water pH ( bring your water when coming)
* 10% discount if payment is made
before the date of the seminar

Venue: abeokuta exp way ilepa akokan bus-stop, by oloruntoba estate ifo, ogun state
Time: 10am
Date: saturday 10th august 2013

For enquiry
Visit www.araratnigeria..com
araratnigeria@gmail.com
08053018934, 07089391123 or bb:25F845B8
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Etranshub(m): 2:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
contact Michael on 08167488947 to get your fish smoking oven....electricity,gas and charcoal...which ever one you want and can have a two in one power source.

Also if you have 100KG and above fish for smoking to export. Call the number today and get a great deal
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Etranshub(m): 4:38pm On Aug 26, 2013
BETHSAIDAL NAIJA
INVITES YOU TO THE
ONE (1) DAY PRACTICAL TRAINING AND WORKSHOP
ON INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES
IN
FISH AND GRASSCUTTER FARMING

TRAINING OBJECTIVES:

To expose participants to the rudiments of grass-cutter/fish farming production and hatchery management
To acquaint participants with modern techniques in grass-cutter and fish farming
To equip the participants with financial and relevant knowledge of best practice in aquaculture and rodent farming.
To expose the participants to how to process, package and prepare export document for both catfish and grass-cutter
And many more…..

DATE: Every 4th Saturday of the months of May, June, July, August, September, October, November & December 2013.

VENUE: RCCG Shalom Chapel 20 Mohamed road Abule Egba. Oja Oba bus-stop Lagos

TIME: 10:00am prompt

FEE: N5,000.00

BENEFIT OF OUR WORKSHOP

# 3 Months free consultation

# Free manual on catfish and grass-cutter farming (Titled…A-Z of catfish and grass-cutter farming)

# Connection to our partner bank for startup loan at low interest rate (Micro-finance bank)

For further inquiries and reservation contact

The Chief Operating Officer

Bethsaidal Farms

45 itele road, otuye bus-stop adeleye aparadija

Ogun State. Tel 08028515745, 08167488947

Twitter:@bethsaidalnaija Facebook:Bethsaid
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by mayorall(m): 11:11am On Sep 05, 2013
Can someone lead me to thread for grass cutter farming. Thanks.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by digi101(m): 11:41am On Sep 15, 2013
Hello all, i have the following items for sale in ibadan anyone intrested can give be a buzz

4 nos plastic tanks used for hatchery along with 2 aluminum framed hatching nets - N25,000
1 nos 1000L water storage tank (geepee) - N11,000
2 nos 2000L fibre tanks for grow out - N40,000 each

Obviously this is for farmers based in ibadan, items are located at ashi,

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Jfactor(m): 2:23pm On Nov 02, 2013
sm1 askd how much cost to produce 1kg?
how many bags of feeds is needed to make 1kg of fish?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by bettymygirl(f): 1:33am On Jan 01, 2014
arramyjay:

*if you are going to start on a small scale then u need a land that can take 18 by 6 ft pond,start with a wooden pond.

* yes it is possible it will depend on how often you stock again,i mean fingerlings or juveniles.

*You can deliver to your customers any how you want to boss.

*I have basically written what you should knw,but if you want me to help you start from the basics (from construction of pond to feeding for about 2weeks)and all then i can do that. But at a fee. There are books but every1 sells their and basically it isnt comprehensive enough.

* Yes it is,If you are really interested to learn about breeding tilapia then there is an institute in ghana which can admit you as an attaching student, u will be trained for 8weeks,at no cost. Update me as to what you decide.

Pls sir, shed more light on this institute in Ghana that u speak about cos I'm interested
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by oscarvicto(m): 11:37pm On Jan 06, 2014
Yes a interested too. Please kindly send details to okaforinchrist@yahoo.com. Where exactly is the location?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by martolux(m): 9:11am On Jul 19, 2014
arramyjay:

Hi, ok fine you of all people should know that you need space and good water,for d development of your fish.
Why would u need drugs for your fishes,buy from a good source.
Electrity for what exactly?

example.

you hv 3 wooden ponds---- 260-300k ( it is far less than that though)
you have good supply of water or else use bio-disc- 70k
you stock 2000 fishes - 60k 30naira for 1 combo juveniles
feeding for about 4-5months shud be abt 320 - 400k

if you sort well and feed well(not rubbish formulas) plus good source of water supply or the use of bio-disc your fishes will grow.

sales if 1000 of the 2000fishes grow to about 1.5kg to 2.kg that is abt 2000*500= 1m naira. probably the other 500-1000 fishes are smaller or weigh less than 1.2kg in addition to the 1m you hv extra.

The way u calculate feeding is so wrong 1kg = 260naira

intial capital 700k
easier said than done..you mean all the 2000 fish will have a mean weight of 1.5k Datz not possible and that the main problem of cat fish farming.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by wahleymanutd: 11:45am On Jul 21, 2014
abi oooo.....is nt dat easy to achieve dt 1.5kg....
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by rockwilder57: 1:22pm On Jul 22, 2014
hello every1, its my first time into fish business and this is my 5th month. I stocked 1000 fishes. my fishes are not growing as fast as I would av loved them to be. I can count d numbers of fishes Dats up to 1kg and I also notice that dey open their mouths towards d inlet of water especially wen am filling back the tanks after draining dem. lastly i noticed some fishes refused to pass d juvenile stage after 5months of feeding them while some are so slim with big heads and so sluggish wen dey move. I call dem Zombies. pls wat can I do to keep them healthy again?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ultrazone(m): 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
If you need to empower yourself in fish and poultry farming free, I suggest you take a look at my signature.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by abestine(m): 10:26pm On Sep 10, 2014
TawaTemi1:

What of those that are not priviledge to have one? Won't they be deprived the opportunity of not getting more info on Catfish?
That aside,what of what I asked you concerning my fishes? Can I start feeding them locals once they are 2-3 months?
Pls I need your reply cos they will soon be 2 months.
u can start feeding your fish local when they start eating 4mm feed which should be around 2months and few weeks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by oluwacege(m): 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
At least 4-5 tons of matured Catfish are up for sale at very affordable price around Ajebamidele area of Ado-Ekiti. For more inquiries, please call: seun on
08035092556 or 08053230670.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ultrazone(m): 12:06pm On Sep 15, 2014
After over 3 years of bridging the gap for
developing and sustaining entrepreneurs,
AGRODYNAMIX is offering you a free platform to
share interesting topics and advertise your
company, products and services. Your post or advert must meet the following criteria:

1. Must be a minimum of 300 words
2. Must be original i.e. written by you. Be sure
that we will verify.
3. Must include two unique pictures. We do not
accept images downloaded off the internet.
4. Advertisement and Articles must be on FISH
FARMING.

Good news! You may include your website links,
email, phone number and other contact details
in the articles/adverts you submit.

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ultrazone(m): 12:22am On Nov 07, 2014
dd
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by jameslucy: 12:56am On Jan 06, 2015
arramyjay:
So lets begin on a small Scale,my personal advice is to start really small,There are basically different types of pond,to illustrate the small scale production i will use wooden ponds.

The first thing is to know how much you are willing to part with.
Assuming we start with 350-400k.
This is the cost of some things.

Pond Construction
For a 18 by 6 by 4 ft = 80-100k This amount depends on which professional helps u constructs it( This basically can take about 800-1000 juveniles)it should be a complete pond with both outflow and inflow pipes

Juveniles = Assuming u start with about 1000. at 30naira per fish(juveniles) =30k i personally advice some1 without prior knowledge about catfish farming to start with combo juveniles and stock small quantity.

Feeding =it basically depends on how big you want your fishes to grow ( personally i Started with 2bags per week and continued to 3bags -4bags per week using coppens) feeding should cost about = 40*5= 200k my personal advice feed with coppens for abt 3months then change to local formula.

Bio-Disc = 50-70k ( Although most people use it for health purpose,i use it for my fishes) pls google to find out more about it.
water supply = I am assuming that there should be constant supply of water ( no need to add that to your cost)
At this point i must add that i use bio-disc to purify my water and basically some other things.I strongly recommend bio-disc.

If you have any question at all pls ask me, i will be glad to help out.

I want to get a loan to start Catfish farming, but I have no experience whatsoever. Is it a good idea? Cos I hear the also die like chickens-though I intend to buy juveniles only.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by dmangodwin(m): 4:37pm On Apr 23, 2015
Good morning sirs.Am very interested in this catfish
farming.where can we buy plastic tank for pond,
ovalprim,multivitamin,feeds and other materials needed for
hatching and breeding of catfish.
thank u all for this info.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Cleoo(f): 5:53pm On Apr 25, 2015
MrAwesome1:

Its nice to hear that u finally started ur farm. We that catfish are very rugged and that they can withstand harsh weather conditions,poor water management and diseases;but they are not totally immune to all d above mentioned conditions. So,it's normal to lose few of ur fish before harvest.
Although,u didn't say d size of ur ond and how many juveniles u stocked but I'm just gonna assume u didn't over crowd ur pond. Having said that,I'm gonna try to answer ur questions as much as I can.
1)During raining season,there's usually a reduction of d PH level in ponds and direct(not from reservoirs) bore hole water;and that may be d reason why u lost few of ur fishes thus far but u can't also rule out d amount of dissolved oxygen and diseases all together. I also do not recommend fish medicine in fancy packages cos I really can't say for sure how potent these medicines are. Personally,I Tetracycline (Red and Yellow) capsules and it works perfect for me cos I think tetra is a broad spectrum drug for d prevention & treatment of most catfish diseases(although it doesn't work for all cases) and in the long run it's cheaper. I mix 20-50 capsules to their daily meal depending on what I want.
(2)Yes,it is safe to start feeding local feed at about the time they start consuming 4.5mm feed but if u mill d feed urself and u'r sure of d nutritional content,u can even introduce d local feed 1 month after socking fingerlings,but be sure to mix or mill d feed urself cos u can't be too sure of generic local feed from random feed mills.
Also,be aware that d nutritional content of local feed that can be fed to small fish is quite different from that of slightly bigger ones. Protein content of feed for post fingerlings should be 45-50% and that of juveniles of 3months and above should be 30-45%

P.S: No matter how small ur farm is, always have a small pelleting machine to mill ur own feed,cos u can't break-even by using only foreign feed.
please how much can I get a small pelleting machine?
So I can be milling my own feed? And what and what can I use to make my own local feed?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MoneyMerchant(m): 8:20pm On Apr 25, 2015
arramyjay:

Ok let me write it again for the last time, it depends on how big you want ur fish to grow mr started wit 3mm.

Coppens = 15kg or 1500g so if ur coppens lasted for 1week that means you fed d whole 1000 fishes 214g of feed per day.geez goodluck wit making ur fishes grow.
Please 1kg is = 1000g, meaning that 15kg = 15000g. For 1000 fishes will comsume 15kg of feed for 30 days, if they consume 500g/day. I stand to be corrected... Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 11:59pm On May 03, 2015
Friends pls can any one help with the cost of constructing a mini wooden hatchery pond or VAT as its called.

Please if you can help me with the measurement size and cost of construction wooden hatcery pond I will appreciate. Also, I will also like to construct a wooden pond for grow out which can atleast contain 500 fish for grow out.

If you can help me with these information, I will be glad. The cost and measure is what I require. If you have a picture sample pls share with me here. Thank you
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ciskenn(m): 1:20pm On May 16, 2015
pathology:
pls does anyone where i can get complete water testing kits in kaduna,ibadan or abuja and how much does it cost.. is biodisc good for hatchery
Where you able to get the water testing kits. kindly contact me 08182161459,08032774091
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by FarmTech(m): 10:59pm On May 17, 2015
Hello fish farmers, how much does it cost to raise catfish for 3-4 mnths?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.