Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,137 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN (2376 Views)

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering / M.sc In Biochemistry Or B.sc In Nursing, Which Should I Choose? / How To Register For ICAN? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by yemmyma: 10:39am On May 02, 2012
One thing i have seen common on Nairaland is seeing people who really don't know what they want from a career and are mostly motivated by the current money. By current money, I mean looking at what someone other guy is successful at and decide to turn their back on their own profession ignoring all the effort they have invested in it.

What you see is many people studying Accounting want to go for a masters degree in petroleum engineering because they read success story of a Petroleum Engineer or Industrial Engineer and how much money they earn and bla bla. Of course, sometimes these things called career change come to some unplanned which completely makes sense. Like the story of this dude in the Logistics thread who studied Engineering and now works in procurement for a bank. But spending 4 years B.Sc and 2 years Masters in Computer Science and Information Security with a professional certificate in Oil and gas is totally a waste of time. At least put in effort to find a job in your own field.

The moral of my story, if you love Mechanical engineering so much to the extent of getting a Masters degree and all of a sudden decided to pursue an ICAN professional cert. just because the guy before is doing fine in it, then i think that is the beginning of insanity.

To all nairalanders reading this
Please we need career diversity in Nigeria. We all won't work as a petroleum engineer and investment banker for this country to move forward.

1 Like

Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by DisGuy: 10:53am On May 02, 2012
too true

Check the CFA thread, the HSE thread, in fact any new certification with some salary hints and voila, fresh grads trooping in like theres no tomorrow
anyway na condition

I like your title by the way, i was about to say 'one of those ones' lol
Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by nitrogen(m): 11:16am On May 02, 2012
yemmy_ma: One thing i have seen common on Nairaland is seeing people who really don't know what they want from a career and are mostly motivated by the current money. By current money, I mean looking at what someone other guy is successful at and decide to turn their back on their own profession ignoring all the effort they have invested in it.

What you see is many people studying Accounting want to go for a masters degree in petroleum engineering because they read success story of a Petroleum Engineer or Industrial Engineer and how much money they earn and bla bla. Of course, sometimes these things called career change come to some unplanned which completely makes sense. Like the story of this dude in the Logistics thread who studied Engineering and now works in procurement for a bank. But spending 4 years B.Sc and 2 years Masters in Computer Science and Information Security with a professional certificate in Oil and gas is totally a waste of time. At least put in effort to find a job in your own field.

The morale of my story, if you love Mechanical engineering so much to the extent of getting a Masters degree and all of a sudden decided to pursue an ICAN professional cert. just because the guy before is doing fine in it, then i think that is the beginning of insanity.

To all nairalanders reading this
Please we need career diversity in Nigeria. We all won't work as a petroleum engineer and investment banker for this country to move forward.

You are'nt wrong and it is a general observation, just that the blame shouldnt be on all but some because ninja graduates are'nt exposed, thats why when someone comes up with/makes mention of a prof program unheard of before and its obvious benefits with examples, then most(grads) tend to delve into in without thinking of the adverse.

Another is the 'ninja mentality' factor, 'if it is politics that fetches plenty cash nowadays, we go do am togeda, or cfa gives upper hand in securing better paid jobs, i'll do the whole ¿¿3 levels¿¿ this yr'.

But basically, lack of info at the onset and even during the progammes is the main cause.

1 Like

Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by tanimola22: 11:17am On May 02, 2012
Dis Guy: too true

Check the CFA thread, the HSE thread, in fact any new certification with some salary hints and voila, fresh grads trooping in like theres no tomorrow
anyway na condition

I like your title by the way, i was about to say 'one of those ones' lol

What do most people really work for if not for money? Unfortunately, that is why the world is competitive more than ever before. People gravitate towards anything that will eventually give them a much better life. I have no problems with that as I strongly believe that if one is competitive enough, even though some half baked people try to inundate one's profession, one would still triumph; one would still be preferred to those half baked intruders.This is my view. In fact, I may pursue further graduate studies in systems engineering if I so desire. I believe everything boils to one's ability of being able to do many different things at the same time. Many of the greatest physicists and mathematicians were also philosophers and what have you.

This is my take. If one has spare time and the ability, why not have any degrees or professional designation that one yearns for. After all, diversification, according to my understanding, means doing many things that are not in any way correlated or have little correlation.

I do not see anything wrong with pursuing a profession because of the prestige and the money to be made. Am I being myopic? I am not sure. To each his own sha.

T22.
Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by yamakuza: 11:19am On May 02, 2012
I think her emphasis is on those who have a Masters and still lack career direction.

Fresh graduates who jump on the latest cert track can still be forgiven.

As at BSc level, a lot of people have no idea what they want to do with their lives, careerwise.

If after taking pains to research and choose a Masters option, this same person still jumps ship as the money wind changes, then all can be said not to be well.
Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by DisGuy: 12:50pm On May 02, 2012
tanimola22:

What do most people really work for if not for money? Unfortunately, that is why the world is competitive more than ever before. People gravitate towards anything that will eventually give them a much better life. I have no problems with that as I strongly believe that if one is competitive enough, even though some half baked people try to inundate one's profession, one would still triumph; one would still be preferred to those half baked intruders.This is my view. In fact, I may pursue further graduate studies in systems engineering if I so desire. I believe everything boils to one's ability of being able to do many different things at the same time. Many of the greatest physicists and mathematicians were also philosophers and what have you.

This is my take. If one has spare time and the ability, why not have any degrees or professional designation that one yearns for. After all, diversification, according to my understanding, means doing many things that are not in any way correlated or have little correlation.

I do not see anything wrong with pursuing a profession because of the prestige and the money to be made. Am I being myopic? I am not sure. To each his own sha.

T22.

Most people work for money quite alright, unfortunately many of them cant do the work that pays these salaries, perhaps one of the reason why they chose to study what they studied in the first place, biochemist suddenly interested in CFA after going through the salary expectation sounds somehow especially when they ask what CFA stands for
Better working environment and job satisfaction gives some people better quality of life. the unfortunate thing is the funds and duration some people 'waste' running around without a concrete plan from the onset
Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by yemmyma: 4:00pm On May 02, 2012
The problem i pointed out is some fellas have not even tried getting a job in their field and want to branch out to an extremely opposite industry just because a guy in Canada is doing well in it.

At least, we know many stories of people that did not even attend popular schools abroad and are doing great in that Naija. Not even a professional certificate to their degree

1 Like

Re: I Have M.sc In Mechanical Engineering But Want To Write For ICAN by tanimola22: 5:18pm On May 02, 2012
yemmy_ma: The problem i pointed out is some fellas have not even tried getting a job in their field and want to branch out to an extremely opposite industry just because a guy in Canada is doing well in it.

At least, we know many stories of people that did not even attend popular schools abroad and are doing great in that Naija. Not even a professional certificate to their degree

The highlighted is a sad fact. Very sad indeed. Two people graduated with BSc Economics. One decided to pursue graduate studies in the UK, the other decided to remain in naija and rough it out. 5 years later, one is roaming the streets of London and doing menial jobs with his beautiful UK MSc of 15k Pounds. The other one, with his pangolo naija BSc, is moving from one level to another at Shell Oil naija.

Moral of the story: Na God, not by oyinbo kpali or professional certs alone.

T22

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Pruvia Integrated Limited / Contact Us For Top Quality Nylon Printing... / List Of Selected Candidates For The Nigerian Navy Basic Training School 18 Batch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.