Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Catholic Statues And Images - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Statues And Images (3081 Views)

The Six Catholic Seminarians Lying In State. Rip (Photo) / Catholic Priest Slumps And Dies In Anambra During Church Service / Occult Symbols And Images In Today's Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Statues And Images by Jackie24: 5:18am On Mar 29, 2006
I'm just amazed at the things people think up. Having a statue of Jesus is worship to a statue? Having pictures is sinful?
Ridiculous. First of all, ask a Catholic "do you worship the pictures of the holy family?" this is not a peice of the catholic church "worshiping images of christ" it is an outside uneducated opinion formed by those trying to increase the supiriority of their own religion.

Have you seen The Passion of Christ?
Do you have photos of family or friends?
Do you own any magazines or picture books?
Photo albums?
How about a crucifix?

The reason for all of these things in our faily life is the same reason why the Catholic church holds statues of Christ. We do not worship or even honor these statues, it's obserd to say such things. They are simply a reminder that Jesus is with us, it is pleasing for humans to visualise, this is simply that, a visual to go with our prayers.
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by DesireJ(f): 10:54am On Mar 30, 2006
hi jackie 24
am also surprise at the way people overflog or react to issues.
whats wrong in having pix of Jesus Christ , Mary and etc in your house or the church
when they keep art work and pix of the loved ones at positions where they always admire them
i find it very difficult to understand them.
cheers
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by Seun(m): 6:34pm On Mar 30, 2006
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by Kave(m): 9:26am On Apr 01, 2006
If u dont know pls dont say.
Go to holy family catholic church in festac,then u wil know wat it means to worship images.
Wat does it mean wen u bow down in front of an image and resite the rosary?Eh?The bible says dont even bring it to the house of worship.Ah ah!Catholics si, Shuo? The bible says flee from babylon the great.
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by DesireJ(f): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2006
hi every body and especially to my friend kave,
the catholics at Holy family or in another parish any where in the world will never bow to statues except if the Blessed sacrament is there at the alter, pls don't get confused, the blessed sacrament is the body and blood of Christ present. i guess u what dat means as a Christian
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by Kave(m): 10:19am On Apr 08, 2006
D point is,if God has told the israelites not to bring images(idols,statues) into the house of worship,then Y shud u do other wise. Ehn?
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by boywest(m): 5:54pm On Aug 19, 2008
@poster,

Do not engage in arguements about religeon,, it is always sour. A few ?s 4 u though.

Those images that are reminders or Jesus Christ and Mary, where did they come from? who in our present time has seen hoe Jesus and Mary look like or took their pics?

2. the bible is clear, ' i will share My glory with no one', b.) 'I am the way the truth and the light, no man can come unto the Father except through Me ( jesus). why then pray to Mary?

The Bible is clear, what is happening is that a lot of times we forget it and mix it up with Church Doctrines that most of the time are not scriptural. read the bible yourself not what a Father or Pastor says is in there.

The bible say, 'test the word'
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by AKO1(m): 6:02pm On Aug 19, 2008
Jackie24:

I'm just amazed at the things people think up. Having a statue of Jesus is worship to a statue? Having pictures is sinful?
Ridiculous. First of all, ask a Catholic "do you worship the pictures of the holy family?" this is not a peice of the catholic church "worshiping images of christ" it is an outside uneducated opinion formed by those trying to increase the supiriority of their own religion.

Have you seen The Passion of Christ?
Do you have photos of family or friends?
Do you own any magazines or picture books?
Photo albums?
How about a crucifix?

The reason for all of these things in our faily life is the same reason why the Catholic church holds statues of Christ. We do not worship or even honor these statues, it's obserd to say such things. They are simply a reminder that Jesus is with us, it is pleasing for humans to visualise, this is simply that, a visual to go with our prayers.

Seen.
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by Lady2(f): 6:16pm On Aug 19, 2008
God Instructed Solomon to make an image of cherubim and seraphim, those are angels.
God made himself an image when he became man, Jesus Christ.

Why do we not worship man? Because that is equating him to the level of God. Well if man is flesh and he shouldn't be worshipped, then why was Jesus worshipped. He too is in the flesh.
The difference is that an ordinary man is not divine while Jesus the man is.
Worshipping the ordinary man will equate him to the level of God.
Worshipping Jesus is keeping God at the level that he should be.
Yet both are in the same image, flesh.

God is asking us to not put anything above him. Today the "graven image" is sex, and greed and materialistic things. We put these before God all the time, even our families come before God.
Anything elevated to the position of God is a "graven image"

The serpent used in the desert by Moses should also be equated to a "graven image" if that is the case. But we know that it isn't. It was instructed by God to be lifted up to save those who were dying. If they wanted to be saved, they had to look up to the image of the serpent.

The icons used by Catholics are not in anyway a "graven image". They are not worshipped neither do the graces of God flow from them.
They are a reminder of the graces of God.

Why is the altar at Church well decorated?
It is because when people walk in there it helps them to remember that this is the place of God and that God is ever present.

Whereas when you go to the public dump you don't treat as a place where God will reside.

Same thing. It serves the purpose of helping you to focus.

We humans are very visual. Just as the saying goes seeing is believing. We tend to acknowledge something even more when we can visualise it.

That is all the icons are for. They are not to be worshipped.
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by olabowale(m): 11:21pm On Aug 19, 2008
~Lady~ can't help herself in her disdain for Islam and muslims. Ha, they are talking about statues and images. There is nothing a muslim has said about your statues an images. deal with this issue before dealling with the standing by muslims.
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by jizziugo: 7:52pm On Jan 01, 2011
It is true we are accused of worship of images it is totally untrue they are simply reminders .
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by Ymodulus: 12:56am On Jan 02, 2011
^^^ and what kind of remainders? If i may ask
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by wendoworld(m): 1:14pm On Jan 02, 2011
I AM A CATHOLIC BUT I DON'T BOW WHENEVER I PASS AT THE FRONT OF THE CRUCIFIX. WHY? BECAUSE BOWING DOWN IS THE SAME THING AS WORSHIPING IT, BUT MOST CATHOLICS DON'T KNOW THIS. THEY BELIEVE ITS JUST A NORMAL THING DONE BY EVERY CATHOLICS SO THEY TOO MUST DO SO. SOME PEOPLE WHERE BORN INTO IT(CATHOLIC) AND DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE REASON WHY THEY DO THIS. I AM NOT AGAINST THE STATUES IN THE CHURCH.JUST AS SOMEONE HAS STATED HERE, IT IS USED AS A "REMINDER". BUT GOING IN FRONT OF IT TO BOW OR GENUFLECT IS SOMETHING I CANT COMPREHEND WITH. ONCE AGAIN I AM A BORN CATHOLIC AND AM NOT EVEN THINKING OF WORSHIPING ANY WHERE ELSE TILL I DIE, BUT THIS IS STATED IN THE BIBLE DON'T CREATE ANYTHING AS AN IMAGE OF ME THAT YOU BOW DOWN TO(THOUGH THIS IS NOT HOW IT IS STATED IN THE BIBLE BUT I GUESS YOU GET MY MESSAGE). I HAVE TO FIND MY OWN WAY INTO THE BIBLE TO FIND THIS. SO AM STANDING ON MY OPINION AGAINST BOWING OR GENUFLECTING IN FRONT OF THE STATUES, DESPITE WHAT ANY ONE SAYS cheesy #PEACE
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by Ymodulus: 3:34pm On Jan 02, 2011
wendoworld:

I AM A CATHOLIC BUT I DON'T BOW WHENEVER I PASS AT THE FRONT OF THE CRUCIFIX. WHY? BECAUSE BOWING DOWN IS THE SAME THING AS WORSHIPING IT, BUT MOST CATHOLICS DON'T KNOW THIS. THEY BELIEVE ITS JUST A NORMAL THING DONE BY EVERY CATHOLICS SO THEY TOO MUST DO SO. SOME PEOPLE WHERE BORN INTO IT(CATHOLIC) AND DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE REASON WHY THEY DO THIS. I AM NOT AGAINST THE STATUES IN THE CHURCH.JUST AS SOMEONE HAS STATED HERE, IT IS USED AS A "REMINDER". BUT GOING IN FRONT OF IT TO BOW OR GENUFLECT IS SOMETHING I CANT COMPREHEND WITH. ONCE AGAIN I AM A BORN CATHOLIC AND AM NOT EVEN THINKING OF WORSHIPING ANY WHERE ELSE TILL I DIE, BUT THIS IS STATED IN THE BIBLE DON'T CREATE ANYTHING AS AN IMAGE OF ME THAT YOU BOW DOWN TO(THOUGH THIS IS NOT HOW IT IS STATED IN THE BIBLE BUT I GUESS YOU GET MY MESSAGE). I HAVE TO FIND MY OWN WAY INTO THE BIBLE TO FIND THIS. SO AM STANDING ON MY OPINION AGAINST BOWING OR GENUFLECTING IN FRONT OF THE STATUES, DESPITE WHAT ANY ONE SAYS cheesy #PEACE
you are a true son of your father unlike those pigs around who say its not Image worshipping
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by e36991: 4:03pm On Jan 02, 2011
wendoworld:

Ymodulus:

you are a true son of your father unlike those pigs around who say its not Image worshipping

@^^^

Click the below link for more information (i.e. instructions on some of these ways of "adverting to Our Lord" by the use of posture and gesture)

on catholic postures and gestures

http://fisheaters.com/posture.html
Re: Catholic Statues And Images by anjoh66: 1:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
The truth is that all images are not acctually images of Christ or Mary since nobody knows what they looked like.

In european churches Christ will have a very european resemblance, likewise in african churches he usually have a very african look especially in the ethiopian orthodox churches.

In asian churches he looks very asian and none of theese customs to impicture christ as your own people has ever been condemned by the Catholic Church, rather it is a way to identify oneself with the Saviour and is therefore encouraged by the Church.

(1) (Reply)

Chris Okotie-t.b.joshua Is The Son Of Devil & His Followers Will Go To Hell / Why Was Jesus Invented? / JESUS DICIPLES FELLOWSHIP : Who Are They And What Do They Stand For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.