Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,201 members, 7,780,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:53 PM

The Stand Of Women In The Bible - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Stand Of Women In The Bible (8275 Views)

Poll: does d Bible degrade or put down women?

yes: 74% (20 votes)
no: 22% (6 votes)
it is not clear: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / The True Stand Of The Bible On Abortion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:11am On May 05, 2012
buzugee: lets just say if you are a woman used to sleeping with different men, you should be prepared to meet your demise at the hands of 1000 stones hurled at you by well muscled men grin grin grin grin
it was also obtained for men too check deuteronomy 22:22-30
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:20am On May 05, 2012
Logic Mind: i know the xtians want to shut me up but i must preach their bible to the world.

Let's start with this one.

Exodus 20:17

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

This passage clearly shows that the bible consider women as properties of men like ox or donkey. Note also that this rule does not apply to women coveting their neighbours husbands. undecided
u should understand den it was easier for a man to snatch his neighbor's wife b'cos he was more powerful or richer e.g. story of david n bathsheba. 2sam17
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:29am On May 05, 2012
Logic Mind: This one is so disgusting that I have to post the whole chapter. Yes the bible has a whole chapter dedicated to uncleanliness of women after childbirth. Notice that the unclean period doubles if it is a baby girl!
It also implied that childbirth is sin.

Leviticus 12

12 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.

6 “‘When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering.[a] 7 He shall offer them before the Lord to make atonement for her, and then she will be ceremonially clean from her flow of blood.

“‘These are the regulations for the woman who gives birth to a boy or a girl. 8 But if she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean. ’”
it never meant that childbirth is unclean, God Himself created sex Gen 1:27-28. al these laws were really to protect d people. there re also uncleanliness ritual for when a man ejaculates. remember dat when a person is unclean, he/she can't do anything, touch anyone/anything etc. so basically, a woman does nothing then neither can her husband sleep wit her. u should know that d isrealites were very hardened. some of d rules were not God's original plan
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:29am On May 05, 2012
Logic Mind: This one is so disgusting that I have to post the whole chapter. Yes the bible has a whole chapter dedicated to uncleanliness of women after childbirth. Notice that the unclean period doubles if it is a baby girl!
It also implied that childbirth is sin.

Leviticus 12

12 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.

6 “‘When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering.[a] 7 He shall offer them before the Lord to make atonement for her, and then she will be ceremonially clean from her flow of blood.

“‘These are the regulations for the woman who gives birth to a boy or a girl. 8 But if she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean. ’”
it never meant that childbirth is unclean, God Himself created sex Gen 1:27-28. al these laws were really to protect d people. there re also uncleanliness ritual for when a man ejaculates. remember dat when a person is unclean, he/she can't do anything, touch anyone/anything etc. so basically, a woman does nothing then neither can her husband sleep wit her. u should know that d isrealites were very hardened. some of d rules were not God's original plan
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:32am On May 05, 2012
@logicmind: sorry, i have exceeded d max words. some of those rules were made to regulate their wickedness. if u tell a man not to sleep wit his wife immediately she puts to bed, he might not answer u. tell him dat woman is unclean n he will stir clear. do u understand?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:11am On May 05, 2012
bukatyne: @logicmind: sorry, i have exceeded d max words. some of those rules were made to regulate their wickedness. if u tell a man not to sleep wit his wife immediately she puts to bed, he might not answer u. tell him dat woman is unclean n he will stir clear. do u understand?

the op asked about the stand of women in the bible and i'm giving her the stand of women in the bible, not the reason or justification for this stand which is what you are trying to do. However I will tell you that your reasons make jehovah, the omnipotent creator look very silly to create men thus. in his image and likeness. think about it.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:46am On May 05, 2012
bukatyne: u should understand den it was easier for a man to snatch his neighbor's wife b'cos he was more powerful or richer e.g. story of david n bathsheba. 2sam17
Please.
The new testament confimed this property status of women. Yes, Paul himself said that women were made for men.

1 Corinthians 11:9

9 for neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man:
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 1:53pm On May 05, 2012
Even prophets and seers abhor women.

Zechariah 5:7-8

7 Then the cover of lead was raised, and there in the basket sat a woman! 8 He said, “This is wickedness,” and he pushed her back into the basket and pushed the lead cover down over its mouth.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 05, 2012
Kai.. Im so enjoying dis thread. Bukatyne, logic mind & d rest. Im reading with my eyes. ***bennyraz prepares to go and wear his chelsea jersey*** see u guys after the match.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 4:08pm On May 05, 2012
bukatyne: it was also obtained for men too check deuteronomy 22:22-30
yes but the question is about WOMEN wink
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 4:12pm On May 05, 2012
The Holy Blessed Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception was unclean after the birth of jesus christ and had to be cleansed according to the law of Moses before jesus could be presented to the lord.

Luke 2:22

22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 4:59pm On May 05, 2012
In Matthew 25: Verses 1 to 12, the lord god jesus himself told a story about a man that planned to marry ten virgins and the selfish manner of some of the virgins and the stuppid manner of the others. This passage described women desperate to share a man and bitchin' amongst each other. This story hardly paints women in a glorious light. some might even call it sexist. And the son of god used this example to describe his kingdom.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 7:37pm On May 05, 2012
According to the bible, the wisest man that ever lived garthered numerous women for himself. He jumped from hole to hole sotey that the isrealis lost count and said there were a thousand.
Even the biggest prostitution ring ever does not have such an amount of women.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 8:33pm On May 05, 2012
In the bible, women are accepted spoils of war.

Judges 5:30

30 ‘Are they not finding and dividing the spoils:
a woman or two for each man,
colorful garments as plunder for Sisera,
colorful garments embroidered,
highly embroidered garments for my neck—
all this as plunder? ’
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 9:35am On May 06, 2012
The bible requires women to be submissive to their male partners. It even specifies in what to be submissive. IN EVERYTHING.

Ephesians 5:22-24

22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 2:30pm On May 06, 2012
The holy bible teaches us that violence, any violence, against women is preferable to sexxual violence against men.

Genesis chapter 19 told a story about men that wanted to rape other men but were instead offered women by a man god described in the new testament as righteous by no other than the head of the church himself, St. Peter(2 Peter chapter 2 verse 7).
This man of god called lot gave the rapists his two daughters with special instruction to "do what you like with them".
The rapists declined because they were probably gay but this man of god later impregnated his two daughters himself claiming he was drunk and didn't know how it happened.

Judges chapter 19 told another story where women were also offered to be raped instead of men.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Callotti: 2:51pm On May 06, 2012
[size=20pt]Poll: does d Bible degrade or put down women?
yes: 73% (11 votes)
no: 20% (3 votes)
it is not clear: 6% (1 vote)
This poll will end in 8:28am On May 04, 2014 [/size]

Don't tell me only Atheists voted? wink
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 4:34pm On May 06, 2012
More female submission orders.

Colossians 3:18

18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 5:59pm On May 06, 2012
Sex with women defiles you! You cannot be part of the reedemed 144000 if you have had sex with a woman.

Revelation 14:3-4

3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.

4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 8:08pm On May 06, 2012
If you are unfortunate enough to become a widow, the bible says you must no longer seek for pleasures in life.

1 Timothy 5:6

6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.

in fact you are not even considered a widow if you are under 61 yrs old, ever had sex with another man (or woman) and have also done a lot of other things including washing saints' feet.

1 Timothy 5:9 -10

9 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband,[a] 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the saints, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:53pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind:

the op asked about the stand of women in the bible and i'm giving her the stand of women in the bible, not the reason or justification for this stand which is what you are trying to do. However I will tell you that your reasons make jehovah, the omnipotent creator look very silly to create men thus. in his image and likeness. think about it.
logicmind i take it that u re not a christian. in d beginning, God created man(spirit) in His own image. the man there refers to male n female. however, when man sinned, he fell short of the Glory of God meaning he fell short of God's standard. when Jesus Christ came n died on d Cross Of Calvary, he redeemed n reconciled man(spirit) back to God. so, we have d carnal (unreconciled) man n d spiritual (reconciled) man.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:54pm On May 06, 2012
buzugee: yes but the question is about WOMEN wink
dear, i m trying to point out to u that it goes both ways! it didn't make d woman unequal because d man got equal punishment.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:58pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind: If you are unfortunate enough to become a widow, the bible says you must no longer seek for pleasures in life.

1 Timothy 5:6

6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.

in fact you are not even considered a widow if you are under 61 yrs old, ever had sex with another man (or woman) and have also done a lot of other things including washing saints' feet.

1 Timothy 5:9 -10

9 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband,[a] 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the saints, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.
logicmind, d Bible is Spirit n that Spirit gives life. unfortunately, the Bible is not wat u use logic to understand. that passage meant that a widow below sixty years is more likely to remarry because of sexual desires. d pleasure there meant fornication. i.e. sex outside marriage
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:03pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind: The holy bible teaches us that violence, any violence, against women is preferable to sexxual violence against men.

Genesis chapter 19 told a story about men that wanted to rape other men but were instead offered women by a man god described in the new testament as righteous by no other than the head of the church himself, St. Peter(2 Peter chapter 2 verse 7).
This man of god called lot gave the rapists his two daughters with special instruction to "do what you like with them".
The rapists declined because they were probably gay but this man of god later impregnated his two daughters himself claiming he was drunk and didn't know how it happened.

Judges chapter 19 told another story where women were also offered to be raped instead of men.
dear, don't confuse wat people did to wat God approves or disapproves of. the fact that our leaders embezzle public funds doesn't mean that our constitution approves/supports it. God has given everyone his free will. u can decide to do good or evil, He doesn't force u. only be rest assured that whatever a man sows, that he shall reap.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:07pm On May 06, 2012
bukatyne: logicmind i take it that u re not a christian. in d beginning, God created man(spirit) in His own image. the man there refers to male n female. however, when man sinned, he fell short of the Glory of God meaning he fell short of God's standard. when Jesus Christ came n died on d Cross Of Calvary, he redeemed n reconciled man(spirit) back to God. so, we have d carnal (unreconciled) man n d spiritual (reconciled) man.
bukatyne: dear, i m trying to point out to u that it goes both ways! it didn't make d woman unequal because d man got equal punishment.
bukatyne: logicmind, d Bible is Spirit n that Spirit gives life. unfortunately, the Bible is not wat u use logic to understand. that passage meant that a widow below sixty years is more likely to remarry because of sexual desires. d pleasure there meant fornication. i.e. sex outside marriage

There you go again trying to explain away and justify everything. xtian apology will never stop.
i am telling you what god himself wrote in his great and only book but you are the one interpreting to suit your narrative.
if god wanted to say "intimate desires", god would have said "intimate desires" instead of "living for pleasure". Those are two different things and god is very specific.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:08pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind: According to the bible, the wisest man that ever lived garthered numerous women for himself. He jumped from hole to hole sotey that the isrealis lost count and said there were a thousand.
Even the biggest prostitution ring ever does not have such an amount of women.
i believe one of my replies has answered u. this shows that no man can boast in himself. it is only by God'S Grace that we stand. God took d Kingdom from solomon n he had a very miserable life. read d book of ecclesiastes n u ll see that he said that all was vanity upon vanity!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:12pm On May 06, 2012
bukatyne: i believe one of my replies has answered u. this shows that no man can boast in himself. it is only by God'S Grace that we stand. God took d Kingdom from solomon n he had a very miserable life. read d book of ecclesiastes n u ll see that he said that all was vanity upon vanity!

there you go again.
was he not the wisest?
did god not give him this wisdom?
if you accept that he acted with god's given wisdom, then collecting women as aboki collects nama cannot be wrong.
if on the other hand, his acts were foolish, then the question is of what good is god's wisdom if it leads to foolishness?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:14pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind: In Matthew 25: Verses 1 to 12, the lord god jesus himself told a story about a man that planned to marry ten virgins and the selfish manner of some of the virgins and the stuppid manner of the others. This passage described women desperate to share a man and bitchin' amongst each other. This story hardly paints women in a glorious light. some might even call it sexist. And the son of god used this example to describe his kingdom.
this story is a parable. the virgins represent christians, those wit extra oil (the wise) are those wit d Holy Spirit n those without (the foolish) are those witout d Holy Spirit/unempowered. the arrival of d bridegroom represents d second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. the story teaches we christians to always be prepared as no one knows when He is coming back again. it also teaches that not al christians ll be prepared.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:19pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind:

There you go again trying to explain away and justify everything. xtian apology will never stop.
i am telling you what god himself wrote in his great and only book but you are the one interpreting to suit your narrative.
if god wanted to say "intimate desires", god would have said "intimate desires" instead of "living for pleasure". Those are two different things and god is very specific.
Dear, if u don't understand ur mathematics text, u meet ur mathematics teacher or in a rare opportunity meet d author of that text. I m explaining what those passages mean n not apologizin. d Bible uses diff words, intimacy, carnal knowledge, sexual sin, martial rights etc etc.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:22pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind:

there you go again.
was he not the wisest?
did god not give him this wisdom?
if you accept that he acted with god's given wisdom, then collecting women as aboki collects nama cannot be wrong.
if on the other hand, his acts were foolish, then the question is of what good is god's wisdom if it leads to foolishness?
God gave everyman freewill. i m yet to see a teacher or parent that forces a child to do an homework. but if u don't do it, there is a price to pay.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:25pm On May 06, 2012
bukatyne: God gave everyman freewill. i m yet to see a teacher or parent that forces a child to do an homework. but if u don't do it, there is a price to pay.

so what is the use of god's wisdom?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:30pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind: The bible requires women to be submissive to their male partners. It even specifies in what to be submissive. IN EVERYTHING.

Ephesians 5:22-24

22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
God didn't require women to submit to their male partners, He said husbands. that said, a wife is to submit (esteem her husband higher than herself or put him first ) n a husband is to love. one of d characteristics of godly love is not been proud (humble) 1cor 13 : 4-7 n been humble is to esteem others (in this case his wife) better than himself. so u c that they balance out. check out d qualities of wat d love God requires d husband to have for his wife n u ll c that already, d man esteems her above himself. also read eph 5:21, it commands al christians to submit to one another so u c that submittin doesn't make a person under another.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Don't Imitate Celebrities When You Want To Do Charitable Deeds / Wont They Give Us 2012 Prophesies As Usual? / For Atheist: Come And Tell Us How Man Came Into Existence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.