Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,903 members, 7,806,641 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:36 PM

Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence (56415 Views)

#FuelScarcity; Senators Visit Capital Oil And Other Petroleum Depots..photos / Pictures Of Lagos Before Independence / NNPC Has No Record Of Nigeria's Actual Crude Oil Production Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi(m): 4:54pm On May 04, 2012
More:

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by davades(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2012
bobosydney: You just make me laugh with your unreasonable comments that you just make . By the way , Nigeria is my country ,lagos is my state and home , wether you like or not or you jealous due to your inferiority . You can't compare Southwest with impoverished SE and SS in terms of amenities and economy . Your region still backward with all the resources the you shouting that you get with millions of you live in slum and poverty . Many of your leaders always stealing the public money and send it to UK, like your brother Ibori and so on . i did't say people are not corrupt in SW but SE and SS leaders are most corrupt people in Nigeria and even you people brother ( Jonathan) couldnt even safe you from mess . Shame on you people and you need to shy your face well well . EKO ONI BAJE OOOOOOOOOO

Obaje ti...awon omo ale
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Gentleboby: 5:00pm On May 04, 2012
NICE ! NICE !! NICE !!! NICE !!!! NICE !!!!! POST

Show me moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi1: 5:01pm On May 04, 2012
More:

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi1: 5:01pm On May 04, 2012
Got loads, but this platform is blocking me.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi1: 5:03pm On May 04, 2012
More:

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by solomon111(m): 5:11pm On May 04, 2012
bobosydney: You just make me laugh with your unreasonable comments that you just make . By the way , Nigeria is my country ,lagos is my state and home , wether you like or not or you jealous due to your inferiority . You can't compare Southwest with impoverished SE and SS in terms of amenities and economy . Your region still backward with all the resources the you shouting that you get with millions of you live in slum and poverty . Many of your leaders always stealing the public money and send it to UK, like your brother Ibori and so on . i did't say people are not corrupt in SW but SE and SS leaders are most corrupt people in Nigeria and even you people brother ( Jonathan) couldnt even safe you from mess . Shame on you people and you need to shy your face well well . EKO ONI BAJE OOOOOOOOOO
Ha ha ha!
You must be a very dumb person!
How can you compare the SW with the SE/SS?
The total number of people living in the creeks in the SS,is not up to the the total number of abject poverty striken yoruba almajiris in a single SW state.
Ibori and co could only steal that much because there is so much wealth in the SS(Not that i am vindicating them).The Sw governors cannot try it, not because they are good but because there is just not enough to even pay salaries.
Compare the Whole regions in this country,with every known indices of development,and you will get what i have been screaming since;
1)The SW are just slightly more advantaged than the North.
2)They are far behind the SE/SS.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Gentleboby: 5:14pm On May 04, 2012
Those days were the time people lived with peace of mind but today what happen ?
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Ejine(m): 5:17pm On May 04, 2012
Anyway, as for the topic. . .

I still think 21st century Lagos is a lot better than what you're posting. Really.
You guys so do not realize how good you have it right now.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 5:24pm On May 04, 2012
TREATY WITH LAGOS 1861

Treaty between Norman B. Bedingfield, commander of Her Majesty’s ship “PROMETHEUS” and Senior Officer of the Bights division and William M’coskry esquire, her Britannic Majesty’s acting consul on the part of Her Majesty the Queen of Great Britain and Docemo, Oba of Lagos on the part of himself and chiefs.

ARTICLE I

In order that the Queen of England may be the better enabled to assist, defend and protect the inhabitants of Lagos and to put an end to slave trade in this land and the neighbouring countries and to prevent the destructive wars so frequently undertaken by Dahomey and others for the capture of slaves, I, Docemo, do with the consent and advice of my council, give, transfer and by this presents grants and confirm into the Queen of Britain, her heirs and successors for ever, the port and Island of Lagos, with all the rights, profits, territories and appurtenances whatsoever, thereto belonging and as well the profits and revenues as the direct, full and absolute dominion and sovereignity of the said port, Island and premises, with all the royalties thereof, freely, fully, entirely and absolutely.
I do also covenant and grant that the quiet and peaceable possession thereof shall, with all possible speed, be freely and effectually delivered to the Queen of Great Britain or such person as her Majesty shall there unto appoint for her use in the performance of this grant, the inhabitants of the said Island and territories, as the Queen’s subjects and under her sovereignty, Crown jurisdiction and government being still suffered to live there.

Article II

Docemo will be allowed the use of the title Oba in its usual African significance and will be permitted to decide disputes between natives of Lagos with their consent, subject to appeal to the British laws.

Article III

In the transfer of lands, the stamp of Docemo affixed to the document will be proof that there are no other native claims upon it and for the purpose he will be permitted to use it as hitherto.
In consideration of the cessation as before mentioned of the port and Island and territories of Lagos, the representatives of the Queen of Great Britain do promise, subject to the approval of her Majesty, that Docemo shall receive an annual pension from the Queen of Great Britain equal to the revenue hitherto annually received by him; such pension to be paid at such periods and in such mode as may here after be determined.
Lagos August 6, 1861

Signed: Docemo – His X Mark
Telake – His X Mark
Rocamena – His X Mark
Obalekolo – His X Mark
Achebong – His X Mark

Norman B. Bedingfield
Her Majesty’s Ship PROMETHEUS
Senior Officer, Bights Division

W. McCoskry
Acting Consul

Commander Bedingfield brought his ship, the Prometheus into the river (Five Cowry Creek) and invited Oba Dosunmu for a conference aboard the ship. Dosunmu was informed of the intention of the British Government to convert the anomalous protectorate into an avowed occupation and requested to sign a treaty of cessation. Not having his chiefs with him, Dosunmu refused to do so and two or three days were given to him to make up his mind.

When the draft treaty was first submitted for his consideration at the palace (Iga Idungaran) at Isale-Eko on 1st August, 1861, Oba Dosunmu refused to sign any paper “giving up his country”. He was then threatened by Commander Bedingfield with the bombardment of the town.

Again on 5th of August, the Acting Consul, William McCoskry and Commander Bedingfield went to Dosunmu at the palace, this time with a guard of marines, who were landed and drawn up outside the King’s Palace. The draft treaty, containing only article I, was again submitted. It was read over, translated and interpreted into the Yoruba and Portuguese languages to those around Oba Dosunmu, when the fear at once arose amongst the “white cap chiefs” (Idejo) that they were about to be deprived of their rights to the land of Lagos by such a document, which they believed, aimed at the abrogation of all private rights of property which they had held from time immemorial.

Consequently, they protested vigorously against the signing of that treaty as the draft then stood and solemnly declared that the Oba had no power to give away their lands (traditionally, the Oba of Lagos owns no land, except for his palace. The land of Lagos is vested, by tradition, on the Idejo (landowning) white cap chiefs).

Dosunmu then convinced the Commander and Acting Consul to insert such clauses to the one article submitted, which would satisfy the white cap chiefs that the land of Lagos was not being ceded to the British Crown, as they depended on the land for their livelihood and it belongs to them. The clauses were inserted and Dosunmu signed the treaty the next day. However, the white cap chiefs refused to ratify the treaty.

Governor Freeman arrived on 22nd of January 1862 as the first governor and discovered that the treaty had still not been ratified. He held several long palavers at Government House and declared that he had found the cause of the problem. He states that Dosunmu claimed that he was forced to sign a treaty that he did not understand. The Governor believed that this was false since the treaty was translated into Yoruba and Portuguese. The Governor also states that he was able to convince the white cap chiefs that the British Government was not taking possession of their land and that the treaty was finally ratified.

However, the treaty was signed by Commander Norman B. Bedingfield for the British and Dosunmu, Telake, Rocamena, Obalekoro and Achebong for Lagos.

Apart from Dosunmu, the other names as they stand have no meaning in Yoruba. Herbert Macaulay tried to make sense of them. Telake, he said, was Talabi wrongly spelt. Talabi was a relative of Dosunmu and a prince of royal blood. Rocamena he interpreted as being intended to refer to one Apena, who was a magistrate in Lagos at the time. Obalekoro, he thought, was a wrong spelling for Obanikoro, who was the Archbisshop of Lagos Island. Achebong, he recognised as Ashogbon, Commander in Chief of the King’s bodyguards.

Macaulay emphasised that none of the white cap chiefs, the Idejo, who own Lagos, signed the treaty.
The Idejo include

The Oniru Family, (They owned Iru. Iru=Victoria Island & Maroko)

The Oluwa Family (Oluwa=Apapa)

The Ojora family (They owned Ijora)

The Onikoyi family (They owned Ikoyi)

The Oloto Family (they owned Oto)

The Onitolo and Aromire Families (together they owned Idumota)

The Onisiwo Family (They owned Tarkwa Bay and Ogogoro Island)
Etc.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 04, 2012
More:

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 5:36pm On May 04, 2012
I was discussing the question of which I prefer, Lagos of the 1890s - 1960 or Lagos of today, with some people on NN 60-80. They believed that Nigeria (& Lagos) is regressing (I remember listening to Wole Soyinka say the same thing on the BBC in the 1990s) I believe it's all relative. Some things are better and some things are worse.

Pre-1970 we didn't have the explosion of armed robbery that Lagos has witnessed in recent decades, where whole neighbourhoods are terrorised by bandits. Electricity was relatively stable, etc.

However, development was limited to the colony pr-1970. As recently as the 1980s there were "night soil men" who went from house to house collecting night soil.

Personally, I think the 1990s were a lost decade. But I've read about the uniquely Victorian Lagos of the late 1800s, been told about Lagos of the 20s-60s and witnessed the 70s to the present. Each era had its unique flavour.

However, that doesn't seem to be the subject of this thread. The op & title didn't say Lagos was better then. He is only showing how Lagos was.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by bittyend(m): 5:36pm On May 04, 2012
Ejiné: Anyway, as for the topic. . .

I still think 21st century Lagos is a lot better than what you're posting. Really.
You guys so do not realize how good you have it right now.

How is it better?? Overcrowded, and dirty is better than - spacious and clean in your world, nah??

I smell jealousy because your people were not part of the best periods of Lagos history.

So, can you guys shut up about federal government and oil money developed Lagos; Igbos made Lagos; and other rubbish you guys spew on here daily?

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 5:38pm On May 04, 2012
naptu2: TREATY WITH LAGOS 1861

Treaty between Norman B. Bedingfield, commander of Her Majesty’s ship “PROMETHEUS” and Senior Officer of the Bights division and William M’coskry esquire, her Britannic Majesty’s acting consul on the part of Her Majesty the Queen of Great Britain and Docemo, Oba of Lagos on the part of himself and chiefs.

ARTICLE I

In order that the Queen of England may be the better enabled to assist, defend and protect the inhabitants of Lagos and to put an end to slave trade in this land and the neighbouring countries and to prevent the destructive wars so frequently undertaken by Dahomey and others for the capture of slaves, I, Docemo, do with the consent and advice of my council, give, transfer and by this presents grants and confirm into the Queen of Britain, her heirs and successors for ever, the port and Island of Lagos, with all the rights, profits, territories and appurtenances whatsoever, thereto belonging and as well the profits and revenues as the direct, full and absolute dominion and sovereignity of the said port, Island and premises, with all the royalties thereof, freely, fully, entirely and absolutely.
I do also covenant and grant that the quiet and peaceable possession thereof shall, with all possible speed, be freely and effectually delivered to the Queen of Great Britain or such person as her Majesty shall there unto appoint for her use in the performance of this grant, the inhabitants of the said Island and territories, as the Queen’s subjects and under her sovereignty, Crown jurisdiction and government being still suffered to live there.

Article II

Docemo will be allowed the use of the title Oba in its usual African significance and will be permitted to decide disputes between natives of Lagos with their consent, subject to appeal to the British laws.

Article III

In the transfer of lands, the stamp of Docemo affixed to the document will be proof that there are no other native claims upon it and for the purpose he will be permitted to use it as hitherto.
In consideration of the cessation as before mentioned of the port and Island and territories of Lagos, the representatives of the Queen of Great Britain do promise, subject to the approval of her Majesty, that Docemo shall receive an annual pension from the Queen of Great Britain equal to the revenue hitherto annually received by him; such pension to be paid at such periods and in such mode as may here after be determined.
Lagos August 6, 1861

Signed: Docemo – His X Mark
Telake – His X Mark
Rocamena – His X Mark
Obalekolo – His X Mark
Achebong – His X Mark

Norman B. Bedingfield
Her Majesty’s Ship PROMETHEUS
Senior Officer, Bights Division

W. McCoskry
Acting Consul

Commander Bedingfield brought his ship, the Prometheus into the river (Five Cowry Creek) and invited Oba Dosunmu for a conference aboard the ship. Dosunmu was informed of the intention of the British Government to convert the anomalous protectorate into an avowed occupation and requested to sign a treaty of cessation. Not having his chiefs with him, Dosunmu refused to do so and two or three days were given to him to make up his mind.

When the draft treaty was first submitted for his consideration at the palace (Iga Idungaran) at Isale-Eko on 1st August, 1861, Oba Dosunmu refused to sign any paper “giving up his country”. He was then threatened by Commander Bedingfield with the bombardment of the town.

Again on 5th of August, the Acting Consul, William McCoskry and Commander Bedingfield went to Dosunmu at the palace, this time with a guard of marines, who were landed and drawn up outside the King’s Palace. The draft treaty, containing only article I, was again submitted. It was read over, translated and interpreted into the Yoruba and Portuguese languages to those around Oba Dosunmu, when the fear at once arose amongst the “white cap chiefs” (Idejo) that they were about to be deprived of their rights to the land of Lagos by such a document, which they believed, aimed at the abrogation of all private rights of property which they had held from time immemorial.

Consequently, they protested vigorously against the signing of that treaty as the draft then stood and solemnly declared that the Oba had no power to give away their lands (traditionally, the Oba of Lagos owns no land, except for his palace. The land of Lagos is vested, by tradition, on the Idejo (landowning) white cap chiefs).

Dosunmu then convinced the Commander and Acting Consul to insert such clauses to the one article submitted, which would satisfy the white cap chiefs that the land of Lagos was not being ceded to the British Crown, as they depended on the land for their livelihood and it belongs to them. The clauses were inserted and Dosunmu signed the treaty the next day. However, the white cap chiefs refused to ratify the treaty.

Governor Freeman arrived on 22nd of January 1862 as the first governor and discovered that the treaty had still not been ratified. He held several long palavers at Government House and declared that he had found the cause of the problem. He states that Dosunmu claimed that he was forced to sign a treaty that he did not understand. The Governor believed that this was false since the treaty was translated into Yoruba and Portuguese. The Governor also states that he was able to convince the white cap chiefs that the British Government was not taking possession of their land and that the treaty was finally ratified.

However, the treaty was signed by Commander Norman B. Bedingfield for the British and Dosunmu, Telake, Rocamena, Obalekoro and Achebong for Lagos.

Apart from Dosunmu, the other names as they stand have no meaning in Yoruba. Herbert Macaulay tried to make sense of them. Telake, he said, was Talabi wrongly spelt. Talabi was a relative of Dosunmu and a prince of royal blood. Rocamena he interpreted as being intended to refer to one Apena, who was a magistrate in Lagos at the time. Obalekoro, he thought, was a wrong spelling for Obanikoro, who was the Archbisshop of Lagos Island. Achebong, he recognised as Ashogbon, Commander in Chief of the King’s bodyguards.

Macaulay emphasised that none of the white cap chiefs, the Idejo, who own Lagos, signed the treaty.
The Idejo include

The Oniru Family, (They owned Iru. Iru=Victoria Island & Maroko)

The Oluwa Family (Oluwa=Apapa)

The Ojora family (They owned Ijora)

The Onikoyi family (They owned Ikoyi)

The Oloto Family (they owned Oto)

The Onitolo and Aromire Families (together they owned Idumota)

The Onisiwo Family (They owned Tarkwa Bay and Ogogoro Island)
Etc.

Very interesting,

Also to add

Elegushi family - Ajah, etc cool

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by desperatem(m): 5:40pm On May 04, 2012
Novice1: [b][/b][b][/b]Go to Facebook group "Nigeria Nostalgia Project".

You will have your fill of ancient Nigerian pictures from all parts of the country. There are literary thousands of pictures, some dating back to the 19th century.
You can also add yours if you have.

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE AT WORK, YOUR PRODUCTIVITY WILL BE ZERO FOR THE REST OF THE DAY

Chairman i searched facebook tire facebuk no recognize dat name wey u give us d assignment oooo
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by aljharem(m): 5:45pm On May 04, 2012
@OP

Please more pictures of the Islands if you have any especially the off coast Islands like Tarkwa bay, Ogogoro Island, Snake Island (Sagbokoji Village) etc. Very much appreciated
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by naptu2: 5:47pm On May 04, 2012
desperatem:

Chairman i searched facebook tire facebuk no recognize dat name wey u give us d assignment oooo

There are 3 Nigerian Nostalgia groups. The main one is (1) The Nigerian Nostalgia 1960 - 1980 project.

2) The Nigerian Nostlgia Pre-1960 project.

3) The Nigerian Nostalgia Project (Civil war conference).

If you can't get it through facebook search, try using Google. I'll try and get a link for you when I get home.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by razznaija(f): 5:57pm On May 04, 2012
skyp: this pictures only affirm to me that the British did not one day underdeveloped us before
they left. if only we were able to maintain all the structures they left on ground before their departure we
would have remain almost in the same class of development even till date. I am saying because the types of building
you see in these pictures is exactly what you see all over uk
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by bittyend(m): 6:14pm On May 04, 2012
Nice pics!
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by jeddyMay(f): 6:20pm On May 04, 2012
Nice collection....... Lasgidi is working
Haters, jump into d lagoon
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by CyberG: 6:27pm On May 04, 2012
Redacted.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by fubbyy(m): 6:29pm On May 04, 2012
Picture is one of the most useful things, nothing brings memories like pics that's why I can't stop snaping with my phone where ever I go just for future use.
But wait o,where are those buildings and castles now,did they demolished them all? Cause I can't see anything I saw in this pics in lagos now.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by vanstanzy(m): 6:35pm On May 04, 2012
@London2lasgidi

More grease to ur elbow and God bless u for these pics.
Ur thread doesn't warrant having peops messing it up with insults at eachothers tribe. But guess some people are just born for trouble.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by LeJeun3: 6:37pm On May 04, 2012
Lovely souvenirs from d beautiful past!
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by london2lasgidi(m): 6:40pm On May 04, 2012
vanstanzy: @London2lasgidi

More grease to ur elbow and God bless u for these pics.
Ur thread doesn't warrant having peops messing it up with insults at eachothers tribe. But guess some people are just born for trouble.

Thanks, bro!!

Don't worry, we will all witness the resurrection of the dead Lagos in the next 10-15years - if the developments continue at the pace it is right now. Hopefully, other parts of Nigeria will be developed simultaneously - to ease people off Lagos, and to reduce the population.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before Crude Oil And Independence by PhysicsQED(m): 6:43pm On May 04, 2012
[edited]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Poor Vs The Rich In Nigerian Prisons: See The Difference (Photos) / Prof. Yemi Osinbajo Having Breakfast (Photo) / Caption This Picture Of Peter Obi And Baba-Ahmed Yusuf Datti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.