Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,288 members, 7,780,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:46 PM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23520 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 7:22pm On May 09, 2012
if you guys say so.... I still think its okay to have a Nigerian made browser tho... Even if it is not going to be developed here am still going to do it. Its jus like how the gsm was..... It wasn't here nobody needed it.. Now its here nobody can do without it.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by tushutt(m): 2:41pm On May 10, 2012
i would like to see an e-exam system with a text to speech capability plugged into it which would attach a report of every word you uttered during your exam along with your papers or which would freeze your time if you mentioned certain censored words like 'number 5' tongue tongue tongue and the likes i dont know but i think we the brains on nairaland can develop this for an org like JAMB or WAEC
believe me our exam halls would be as silent as a grave yard grin grin grin

and also that would be goodbye to exam malpractice

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 9:05am On May 11, 2012
lordZOUGA: if you guys say so.... I still think its okay to have a Nigerian made browser tho... Even if it is not going to be developed here am still going to do it. Its jus like how the gsm was..... It wasn't here nobody needed it.. Now its here nobody can do without it.

Nigerian made browser ? Nahh I could easily do that
You would make it based on a web engine
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by bakenda(m): 10:24am On May 11, 2012
We don't need an "App to predict power failure",
that is an easy thing to do without computer aid,
if you want to work along that line, it should be
an app to predict "power success" instead,
that would be more challenging and more useful.
wink

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 3:39pm On May 11, 2012
maybe you guys can help me make 2go better.
it's up at sourceforge: Twogo4x
https://sourceforge.net/projects/twogo4x/
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 4:21pm On May 11, 2012
cripnip: maybe you guys can help me make 2go better.
it's up at sourceforge: Twogo4x
https://sourceforge.net/projects/twogo4x/
you mean 2go chat app is open source?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 4:51pm On May 11, 2012
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by okeyxyz(m): 10:19pm On May 11, 2012
Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 33% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 19% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 25% (16 votes)

This poll will end in 11:08pm On May 07, 2013

just a side note, i voted to see what the trend was & was disappointed with the polling result display. what does it take to rank them in the appropriate order? one of the simplest of database tasks isn't it? oya!!, seun send your boys to earn their money properly.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On May 12, 2012
Please vote at CAST YOUR VOTES NOW

For your Idea of choice, and don't forget to leave a note here indicating why you think we should all invest our time into ensuring the success of the selected application.

If you have other suggestions, do not hesitate to include those here and the poll will be updated accordingly.

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 4:50pm On May 13, 2012
After the voting
When is the developing of the software going to commence ?
And is it only kobojunkie that's doing it or others would contribue too
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:38am On May 14, 2012
[size=13pt]Polls is now closed [/size]
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Seun(m): 2:04am On May 16, 2012
The ideas are surprisingly good. Kudos.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 11:57am On May 16, 2012
xterra2:

Nigerian made browser ? Nahh I could easily do that
You would make it based on a web engine
yeah, am thinking of using Qt Webkit. You up for it?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 6:23pm On May 23, 2012
mosquito repellent app?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by SayoMarvel(m): 1:11am On May 26, 2012
Sorry I came one hour, twelve minutes late. Please lets just work on tye payment gateway thing. A lot of people need to be able to buy stuff online using common recharge cards. It will help millions.
This gateway can interface with online stores (imagine buying an android app with MTN recharge card), banks (imagine sending sending 2,000 to from your phone to your brother who wants to drink beer on a friday evening, to be cashed through an ATM), shops (imagine going to a supermarket and after picking what you want to buy, you give them your phone number and you enter a pin. MTN sends you a message like the one you receive when you want to transfer airtime, you confirm and thats it!), clinics/drug stores (the same process with supermarkets).
This thing should provides easy-to-use APIs for use in third-party applications (web and stand-alone) and should also integrate well with services like interswitch, etc.

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by worldbest(m): 7:11pm On May 26, 2012
I am in support of the Recharge Card based payment system. Such system would be extremely popular at this time when we are going cashless. It could just be our answer to a Nigerian Paypal.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by SayoMarvel(m): 10:42pm On May 26, 2012
I think we have a winner. @Poster should start organizing stuff. This will be a good way to spend my 6-month IT smiley
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On May 28, 2012
[size=13pt]RESULTS ARE IN AND WE HAVE A TIE [/size]. .. we need to pick just one

1) Mobile GIS (Android, Blackberry, IPhone) to locate hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, hospitals, police stations, etc. (1 vote)

2) Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply (21 votes)

3) Encyclopedia of Nigerian goods (5 votes)

4) Nigerian Version of KickStarter to aid individuals, organizations(including charities) in soliciting aid from other groups and organizations (epolls, epayment built in) (1 vote)

5) Government budget monitoring/Performance Application (21 votes)

6) INEC Utility Application (NULL)

7) An open-source or crowd-sourcing e-government platform... Incorporating e-voting, opinion polls, referenda, budget/project monitoring, real-time web-meets. (NULL)

cool Medical aid app.. Focusing on say, curtailing maternal/infant mortality (2 votes)

9) A freelancing web application to act as a medium between the an employer and a service provider. (1 vote)

10) An automated payment gateway that accepts MTN/GLO/Zain/Etisalat recharge cards as a mode of payment. (6 votes)

11) A Nigerian equivalent of gumtree (I have piles of gadgets I no longer need but may be useful to others). (NULL)

13) An online nationwide traffic report system. (1 vote)

14) Nigerian learning language app as people can easily learn yoruba, hausa and igbo language (2 votes)

16) plugin for every browser that can correct all browser compatibility issueson the installed browser. (NULL)

17) e-exam system with a text to speech capability plugged into it which would attach a report of every word you uttered during your exam along with your papers or which would freeze your time if you mentioned certain censored (1 vote)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by yamakuza: 4:27am On May 28, 2012
Sorry, but which result(s)?

The poll on NL, the one on ur siggy or both?

#there might not be a tie afterall
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by worldbest(m): 4:34am On May 28, 2012
Before you guys start developing a budget monitoring app, maybe you should see this http://yourbudgit.com/. Besides, who would be providing/updating the data ? Crowd sourced?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 12:16pm On May 28, 2012
yamakuza: Sorry, but which result(s)?

The poll on NL, the one on ur siggy or both?

#there might not be a tie afterall

The results are in. Vote for one of the two left.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On May 28, 2012
worldbest: Before you guys start developing a budget monitoring app, maybe you should see this http://yourbudgit.com/. Besides, who would be providing/updating the data ? Crowd sourced?

The idea on YouBudgit can be extended in so many ways. So please go right ahead and vote for the one of the two left you would like to be involved in developing.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On May 28, 2012
This message is particular for the Developer whose idea is chosen as the winner in the end. You will need to be available to help with bringing forth your idea, especially during the planning and design phases. Since this is your idea, please be ready with requirements and additional details necessary for the successful implementation of your plan. We cannot deliver on an idea that we are not informed on.

Here are some useful online resources to help you get started with communicating your ideas

http://yuml.me/

http://www.allaboutagile.com/category/agile-user-stories/

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by SayoMarvel(m): 6:06pm On May 28, 2012
This poll is "thrash" (please I'm very sorry to use that word; big respect to everyone). "Fund raising app"? I think the correct name should be "Internet payment gateway via recharge cards"! No wonder that killer idea couldn't gather votes (it wasn't my idea anyway but I think its what Naija really needs now). Peace out.

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by spikesC(m): 6:45pm On May 28, 2012
pure trash, UNFOLLOWED

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Javanian: 7:48pm On May 28, 2012
Both the ideas and results are nothing to right home about...smh...Government budget monitoring and Predict power failure, where do you intend to get resources to do such...I taught this would be an exciting challenge for us all...

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 5:14am On May 29, 2012
^^^
The idea was for us to work on one project that the majority wanted us to work on. The majority decided on the two above, so I think rather than wailing that the one you wanted didn't get picked, you at least buck on and accept that your choice lost out this time. There is still next time.

This is just the first project. Next time we have a program like this, you can work harder at getting people to vote the project of your choice.

It will behoove you to be a part of the development of the winning app, as you will not only be able to show other developers you are serious about helping out, but also when them over when your idea wins, give them reason to want to help make your own app a reality.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by okeyxyz(m): 11:56am On May 29, 2012
I must say: i'm falling in love with @kobojunkie for her leadership & management skills here. she has initiated a democratic decision making process, managed it all through, with reports, feedbacks, relevant questions & guidiances, refusing to be distracted by detractors who say this is "trash" and ultimately bringing it to a conclusive end. Not that i agree with the leading choices, but i must respect the direction & consistency of the whole process. cheers!

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by worldbest(m): 3:59pm On May 29, 2012
Call me a detractor, It doesn't take away the fact that a the two ideas are "suckish" ideas. Simply tells me how a lot of Nigerian programmers aren't creative. Budget monitoring app may still be ok, but an app to guess when PHCN takes or brings power sucks (even PHCN don't follow their distribution model at times).

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 5:44pm On May 29, 2012
worldbest: Call me a detractor, It doesn't take away the fact that a the two ideas are "suckish" ideas. Simply tells me how a lot of Nigerian programmers aren't creative. Budget monitoring app may still be ok, but an app to guess when PHCN takes or brings power sucks (even PHCN don't follow their distribution model at times).
really? this is the best your imagination can do?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by worldbest(m): 6:08pm On May 29, 2012
lordZOUGA:
really? this is the best your imagination can do?

What can yours do?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming? / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Java Tutorial For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.