Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23548 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by ZUBY77(m): 3:23pm On May 08, 2012
An app to determine when a woman is lying.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by blank(f): 4:01pm On May 08, 2012
voted for the app to predict power failure cos i want to see such a thing. Doubt it is possible to make.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Bontee: 4:59pm On May 08, 2012
Some ideas are not feasible because of the barrier to get the needed data to use in building the mechanism of the app and also the poll says it will end next year?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On May 08, 2012
ceejayluv: Perhaps, some Medical aid app.. Focusing on say, curtailing maternal/infant mortality. Kinda ante-natal care app so to speak.

Please provide more details on exactly how this app can be built. I am not asking of technical details but more information on how an application can be used to curtail maternal/infant mortality.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On May 08, 2012
Bontee: Some ideas are not feasible because of the barrier to get the needed data to use in building the mechanism of the app and also the poll says it will end next year?

Working on re-creating the poll so it makes more sense to this. Will update it as soon as I am able to
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 5:16pm On May 08, 2012
blank: voted for the app to predict power failure cos i want to see such a thing. Doubt it is possible to make.
it is possible... if there is a computerized version of this country's power grid
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by ceejayluv(m): 5:41pm On May 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Please provide more details on exactly how this app can be built. I am not asking of technical details but more information on how an application can be used to curtail maternal/infant mortality.
well, the app will not replace but rather will complement face-to-face antenatal care. By getting data from experts, then interactive tips, dos and don'ts and details of pregnancy-related issues could be developed. It may as well be used to foster an e-community of expectant mums and medical personnel who will have real-time interaction with one another. The app, depending on how advanced it is, may include Notifications, GPS services (say, for locating a nearby maternal clinic), social media..... Still in conceptualisation stage.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by delomos(m): 5:41pm On May 08, 2012
A-ZeD:

Assuming we start with the 2012 budget, we will have nothing, but starting with the 2013 budget, we should see things that where budgeted for in 2012 and are still budgeted for in 2013....
As for the bolded, I just think an app like this will be useful in 2019 i.e more of a long term thing
If well developed and publicised, more and more people will be interested in the budget/government spending which will make it harder to execute the same project in 2 consecutive years.

Oe thing I'm thing I'm not sure it's constitutionally required the government makes public any spending form the budget; if there is no provision for that, it will be extremely difficult to keep track of what is where --

And, who will be updating with new spending and all?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by mrperfect(m): 6:12pm On May 08, 2012
We are in raining season here.

Power failure sounds promising.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Feraz(m): 6:55pm On May 08, 2012
Kobojunkie: Summer is here, and many of us are out of school, with more hours to waste on other things. This would however be a great time to collaborate with other programmers, many of them more experienced and skilled, to not only build a neat application that proves useful not just to developers, but also those out there is Nigeria world.

Please submit ideas you may have and we can vote, and make a decision on which idea is best. Your idea must be unique, and a good one too. Those who submit lame arsed ideas will be snubbed. And no, you cannot use the product from this project for your final year project.
Please open your creative minds and come up with spectacular ideas that we can implement and deploy for use.

Many on here are Computer Scientists at heart, so let the Scientist in you come forth. Bring up those ideas you have.

NO DEBATE ON LANGUAGE OR PLATFORM PLEASE. The languages to be used for the building will be specified(don't bother suggesting any), and those of us who have not had any previous experience, but would like to join can use this as an opportunity to not only get on on read good work, but also learn a new language and skill, at the same time.
would like to learn......so what do i start with?.....thanks......
Subscribing to the idea of power failure.....
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Feraz(m): 6:58pm On May 08, 2012
lordZOUGA:
power faliure: I suppose if it's possible to accurately predict the weather then its very possible to predict power faliures in Nigeria and am sure that its going to be a valuable information for individuals and companies too.

A browser: will probably promote Nigeria's deteriorating international Image while providing an international advertizing front for local markets.

A database software that serves as an encyclopedia for Nigerian made goods... Updating the database will be open to the public..
forgive my ignorance but is it something similar to encarta??
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 7:02pm On May 08, 2012
a Government Budget Monitoring System will work only if it gets acknowledged by the government
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by DualCore1: 7:12pm On May 08, 2012
The following will ease life in Nigeria:

1. A Nigerian equivalent of gumtree (I have piles of gadgets I no longer need but may be useful to others).
2. A freelancing web application to act as a medium between the an employer and a service provider.
3. An automated payment gateway that accepts MTN/GLO/Zain/Etisalat recharge cards as a mode of payment.
4. An online nationwide traffic report system.

I am not telling you WOW ideas, I am just telling you things I personally wish were available in Nigeria.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 7:17pm On May 08, 2012
Feraz: forgive my ignorance but is it something similar to encarta??
by browser I meant an internet browser. Will be Nice if Nigeria actually does something for the global IT community though. Can actually serve as a platform to launch all these other ideas...
If there is going to be an encyclopaedia then yes... Like encarta... most probably
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Bontee: 7:35pm On May 08, 2012
What about a Nigerian learning language app as people can easily learn yoruba, hausa and igbo language.

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by DualCore1: 9:11pm On May 08, 2012
lordZOUGA: by browser I meant an internet browser.

What's the idea behind creating a solution for a problem that does not exist? Like we don't have enough browser-compatibility headaches to deal with already? smiley

I am actually expecting a defense/answer for the first question...the second question was thrown in for sarcasm, no answer required.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by MrsA: 9:25pm On May 08, 2012
ceejayluv: Perhaps, some Medical aid app.. Focusing on say, curtailing maternal/infant mortality. Kinda ante-natal care app so to speak.

This is so urgently needed! mHealth is one of the biggest opportunities for mobile apps to really make a difference. My cousin died last week. Though God knows the full story, her husband cut the baby's cord at home (which is never advised!!) but took none of the required precautions. He just didn't know - Ajoke was gone before they got to hospital. She left behind 4 children including the new baby now 2 weeks old!!
cry

Commend this thread, Open Innovation is the key to a greater great Nigeria!
x

On a lighter note, i'd absolutely purchase The Power Predictor. Yes, I have named the electricity app-it's now copy written :-D
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by spikesC(m): 10:44pm On May 08, 2012
Hmmmm,what have i been missing.

Well, my 2 kobo. Lets forget about things that will help programmers in nigeria and internet enabled individuals. Lets look at things that will help the common man, the least of the least and the ignorant. The not well informed and the needy.

Who ever mentioned the antenatal app is a life saver and it has potential to reach worldwide.

Who said the traffic tracker and epayment solutions via recharge cards is an innovator. I would vote for that.

Pls,forget government budget monitoring craps. Seriously, thats not how they chow the money. And pls,can we forget social and bookmarking sites,they're now lame. I can't even advertise such ever.

So for me,if we can get data,i mean data that can help for the health stuff. Thats good and secondly the epayment stuff, that will be costly but i tell you,we can get sponsors for it,yes we can.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by smile4kenn(m): 11:15pm On May 08, 2012
I think u guys should look into this idea!

An automated payment gateway that accepts MTN/GLO/Zain/Etisalat recharge cards as a mode of payment.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by mollie12: 12:08am On May 09, 2012
Dual Core: The following will ease life in Nigeria:

1. A Nigerian equivalent of gumtree (I have piles of gadgets I no longer need but may be useful to others).
2. A freelancing web application to act as a medium between the an employer and a service provider.
3. An automated payment gateway that accepts MTN/GLO/Zain/Etisalat recharge cards as a mode of payment.

I am not telling you WOW ideas, I am just telling you things I personally wish were available in Nigeria.

I LOVE idea 3!

The last time there was a disaster in Haiti and in the US, people were sending funds for aids through their phones, I just wished there was a way we could have gotten that done here. And not just charity, its going to help a lot of small-scale, internet or (offline) businesses in Nigeria.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by yamakuza: 3:46am On May 09, 2012
Dual Core: The following will ease life in Nigeria:

i was going to suggest something similar to 4.

Something crowd sourced, with realtime updates by email, sms, web and twitter from drivers, passengers and even pedestrians.

U can view and report road conditions as well as accidents both intracity and intercity.

FERMA, NEMA, FRSC, LASTMA, etc should be able to plugin and plan SAR with it. [s]Wont be surprised if the NTSB has something similar.[/s] Ushaidi is the closest i've seen to it.

GPS Fleet Tracking for transport companies can go in too.

Should be very useful for night journeys.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 9:32am On May 09, 2012
Dual Core:

What's the idea behind creating a solution for a problem that does not exist? Like we don't have enough browser-compatibility headaches to deal with already? smiley

I am actually expecting a defense/answer for the first question...the second question was thrown in for sarcasm, no answer required.

if you want to cut a tree, you will most definitely need a knife. Relate it to your question and understand..
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by DualCore1: 9:43am On May 09, 2012
lordZOUGA:

if you want to cut a tree, you will most definitely need a knife. Relate it to your question and understand..
What tree needs to be cut that hasn't already been cut by Mozilla, Chrome and the rest? Provide a REAL solution with the intent of solving a REAL problem and it will promote those behind it and its country. A web browser is not a REAL problem in your case, the REAL problem I see is how to promote Nigeria and the top 20 REAL solutions to that problem will not feature creating an internet browser.
An internet browser sounds more like a classwork or school take-home assignment.

yamakuza:

i was going to suggest something similar to 4.

Something crowd sourced, with realtime updates by email, sms, web and twitter from drivers, passengers and even pedestrians.

U can view and report road conditions as well as accidents both intracity and intercity.

FERMA, NEMA, FRSC, LASTMA, etc should be able to plugin and plan SAR with it. [s]Wont be surprised if the NTSB has something similar.[/s] Ushaidi is the closest i've seen to it.

GPS Fleet Tracking for transport companies can go in too.

Should be very useful for night journeys.

I was bored one day in dense traffic and started writing something like an agregator for my personal use in port harcourt and lagos.
All it does is gather the tweets from those hardworking traffic tweeters.
Here: http://sawyerrken.net/traffic/
Nothing fancy, just for personal use.

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by yamakuza: 11:23am On May 09, 2012
^ That was a great start. If u had gone further you probably would have beat www.lgtnigeria.com to what they currently have now.

I still feel there's still a lot of room for improvements to such a system eg they are aggregating from just twitter, and only 3 sources at that!

The(ir) current format also does not aid Search And Rescue.

hexgear: The LGTNigeria.com Lagos Traffic Map gives users an interactive birds-eye view of Lagos traffic, perfect for checking out the traffic situation in and around Lagos just before you step out of the house, leave work for home, and helps you plan alternate routes.

The App gets its data by pulling Lagos traffic tweets from the twitter servers, cleverly interpreting them and rendering the results intuitively on a Google Map.

To view traffic reports simply click on the road or area you are interested in and a box showing the most recent updates from that location will pop up. The map also highlights heavy, light and medium traffic, bad roads/pot holes, construction work, accidents and criminal activity.

Try it Out! Follow our Twitter handle @LGTNigeria for more updates.

LGTNigeria.com Traffic Map
http://www.lgtnigeria.com/trafficUpdates_page.php

LGTNigeria Pulls Tweets and Pushes Them Into A Lagos Traffic Map
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 12:05pm On May 09, 2012
Dual Core:
What tree needs to be cut that hasn't already been cut by Mozilla, Chrome and the rest? Provide a REAL solution with the intent of solving a REAL problem and it will promote those behind it and its country. A web browser is not a REAL problem in your case, the REAL problem I see is how to promote Nigeria and the top 20 REAL solutions to that problem will not feature creating an internet browser.
An internet browser sounds more like a classwork or school take-home assignment.

I was bored one day in dense traffic and started writing something like an agregator for my personal use in port harcourt and lagos.
All it does is gather the tweets from those hardworking traffic tweeters.
Here: http://sawyerrken.net/traffic/
Nothing fancy, just for personal use.
we are saying different things... I thought the tree am cutting is Nigeria's bad international image..
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by spikesC(m): 1:21pm On May 09, 2012
For those voting for the browser, i suggest a plugin for every browser that can correct all browser compatibility issueson the installed browser.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by DualCore1: 1:56pm On May 09, 2012
spikes C: For those voting for the browser, i suggest a plugin for every browser that can correct all browser compatibility issueson the installed browser.
<humour>I promise you Internet Explorer will not be compatible with the compatibility plugin tongue </humour>

lordZOUGA:
we are saying different things... I thought the tree am cutting is Nigeria's bad international image..
Ok, I now see where we went different ways in our line of thinking.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 2:16pm On May 09, 2012
Lets forget about the browser, its does nothing to improve the image of Nigeria. Why would anyone use a Nigerian browser when the country is known for internet fraud?
Anything that can help the common man, i'm up for it.

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 2:56pm On May 09, 2012
A-ZeD:
Lets forget about the browser, its does nothing to improve the image of Nigeria. Why would anyone use a Nigerian browser when the country is known for internet fraud?
Anything that can help the common man, i'm up for it.
really??... ^^ that's your reason... besides the common man doesn't need the internet.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 3:10pm On May 09, 2012
lordZOUGA:
really??... ^^ that's your reason... besides the common man doesn't need the internet.
Thats one of my reason...
I'd like to know why you developing ANOTHER browser is a good thing.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by spikesC(m): 3:23pm On May 09, 2012
Dual Core:
<humour>I promise you Internet Explorer will not be compatible with the compatibility plugin tongue </humour>

hahahahhahaha, thats the funiest i've head in ages grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by kodewrita(m): 3:49pm On May 09, 2012
@LordZouga aside from being a thing of pride to nigerians, I dont really think it would be of any sufficient impact. At best, I would suggest you look at one of the many open source browsers available and fork it. Build off that and you can do something worthwhile. No use reinventing the wheel.

As for the rest of the ideas, we need to subject them to the realism/pragmatism test.

Which ones can actually be done? which ones are more long-term in nature? or probably circumstances may not yet favour them?

Essentially, which ones can we shoot for within the time available.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming? / Java Tutorial For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.