Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? (10126 Views)

If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by Idekeson(m): 5:59pm On Apr 14, 2006
The church is now a full-fledged business enterprise. The bottom line for most of them is profit maximization. The better musicians get hired and are well paid to improve the quality of the product put out every Sunday.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by wendytilda(f): 10:20pm On Apr 14, 2006
darlingbas:

I happen to be a pro musician, most of the time when I'm not touring, i play in a church and i get paid for doing so, now i don't see anything wrong with me getting paid for doping my job, Music is like every other profession, you spend money and time to acquire the knowledge, and please note. music is NOT one of the gift of the spirit, you'll have to spend hours on a daily basis to aquire the skill. so getting paid as a musician either within or without the church setting is NOT a sin
I also sing in the church and also spend/sacrifice time, energy days and nights to acquire skills.I know i am not into music as a profession but i also know musician that sing in church and don't get paid,Probably because they understand that it is God's work.
I am not saying that paying musicians is a SIN all i am saying is that sometimes we need to look beyond just singing/playing and "getting payed" in the church and know that the work is for God.(esp when we are not into it full time)

And please it is a gift.If God did not give you the first skill and the grace and interest to acquire more,you wouldn't have them.
Thanks
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by israh: 1:04am On Apr 15, 2006
What an absolutely pitiful question. Why doesn't everybody just do everything for free? Even God required payment for our salvation and Jesus PAID IT ALL with his blood!
You know I was on staff as a paid director and musician for a very large A.M.E. church. And I believe I did my parents proud who PAID for music lessons for me for 15 years! Every music book they bought every ounce of gas the spent driving me, every time I told my father (who was an atheist to the core) that I had to have that Andrae Crouch Record, or that Walter Hawkins record to learn the songs for the choir, they now know that it was not in vain. I am so sick and tired of cheap broke people questioning if a skilled learned musician should get a salary. I also went on to study music on a college level as well. I'll tell you something. The day anyone can walk up to a college, a conservatory and you tell them, "I'm going to work and use what you teach me for a church, for ministry," and THEY in turn say, "oh well please, then every class, notebook, text book is FREE, when that is done maybe I will consider playing and working for free. And please know IT IS WORK! Can we move on to discussing something more relevant than if you should pay the musician? I mean please I have never heard of any musician becoming financially independent playing for some piece of a church, most if not all have to work a 9-5 as well!
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by wendytilda(f): 6:29pm On Apr 15, 2006
I guess some people just don't get it.
Anyway(s) i wanna appologize to anyone(esp musicians)that was hurt in anyway by the coment(s) on my previous post(s).
Thanks
God Bless y'all.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by zatoichi(m): 10:23pm On Apr 15, 2006
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by tju38: 12:03pm On Apr 19, 2006
When will people understand that church is just a business like any other business?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by doshbass(m): 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2006
tju38:

When will people understand that church is just a business like any other business?
most businesses dont really care about their employees
meaning most churches dont care if their workers enter heaven, all they care is giving a great customer service to the congreagration, so as to increase offerings, tithes and congregation number
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by MP007(m): 11:26am On Aug 11, 2007
abi ooo, even in my chruch , na only me no dey get pay every sunday cos i belive the talent should be used to glorify God and not an avenue to make cash
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by Backslider(m): 8:11am On Nov 07, 2008
Church that does that is a business.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by PastorAIO: 10:42am On Nov 07, 2008
And church that pays rent for it's premises is business.

And church that pays water rates, and electricity bills is business.

If everything in church is free then what is the point of making offerings?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by AKO1(m): 7:34pm On Nov 07, 2008
I think

if the motive of the church is to have the best musicians to increase their 'reputation'

or to prevent the good musicians from going elsewhere

then they shouldnt be paid, those kind of people should not even be allowed to play in the first place
people who [b]insist [/b]on being paid, i.e.

But

if a musician does not insist on getting paid

and the church deems it fit to give him/her something, to say thank you and as compensation

then it is not wrong.

Many church musicians today have no clue as to what their role in the service is all about.
There is a difference between entertainment and ministration, although they sometimes 'romance' each other well.
In a service, Church musicians are supposed to minister, primarily, and to entertain, secondarily.
The evil spirit left Saul because David played the harp. That tells you the potential that music has spiritually, how much more in the New Testament.
But you find out that many of them see it the other way round, and demand for money as though they were hired to play at a jazz club or something.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by MrCrackles(m): 7:40pm On Nov 07, 2008
Because there is excess leftover from donations and tithes paid by the church congregation after pastors have been fed fat!!

well something my friend once told me, dont know the authenticity of the statement grin
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by ow11(m): 8:25pm On Nov 07, 2008
Yes the church should pay their drummers,guitarists and pianists because they keep the flock entertained.

The choir members (who come for rehersals more than once a week), ushers, prayer band members and children's department minders do NOT deserve any monetary reward because the wage bill would be too high besides you do not need any special skills to stand for 4 hours for instance. But the drummer can walk if the price is right and there would be no dancing that sunday.

I would prefer the pastor's to be sincere about this fact and stop this work for God nonsense they are selling. Church admin staff should be paid because its their day job but hell if you pay the drummer, then you should pay all the sunday morning workers because if they walk, sunday service ain't getting done!
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by AKO1(m): 9:21pm On Nov 07, 2008
ow11:

Yes the church should pay their drummers,guitarists and pianists because they keep the flock entertained.

The choir members (who come for rehersals more than once a week), ushers, prayer band members and children's department minders do NOT deserve any monetary reward because the wage bill would be too high besides you do not need any special skills to stand for 4 hours for instance. But the drummer can walk if the price is right and there would be no dancing that sunday.

I would prefer the pastor's to be sincere about this fact and stop this work for God nonsense they are selling. Church admin staff should be paid because its their day job but hell if you pay the drummer, then you should pay all the sunday morning workers because if they walk, sunday service ain't getting done!

It looks like youre missing the point. If you're looking for entertainment why not invite secular musicians to come and jam gospel songs i your church?

It's more than entertainment, my brother.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by ow11(m): 1:33pm On Nov 08, 2008
AKO,

I would presume you read my entire post and no the first line before hitting the reply button.

The post was satirical and was intended to show my disgust for this attitude. The church needs to pay bills and the salary of drummers and pianists should not be inclusive. They are there to serve God and should do so!! The other 'church workers' are also serving without pay anyway.

Any musician who feels agrieved should go and release an album because that is how musicians get paid!! not by blackmailing pastors and defecting from one church to another seeking bigger handouts.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by Gamine(f): 1:45pm On Nov 08, 2008
I have never heard of this before undecided
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by bigkev: 6:25pm On Nov 03, 2012
The issue about paying Christian Musicians can be a real "Hot Potato". Judging by many oline blogs it would appear that there is some really lively discussion about this. I take the opinion that we do not need to spend time "Ranting" and "Quoting" scripture as I do not believe that has any bearing on the subject at all.
A church community will pay their rates, the plumber and all other trade related expenses. They will pay the minister and he will likely get a car allowance a church house supplied and so on. Why single out the musicians. They will pay the solicitor and will have to pay the accountant when they submit their annual tax forms. To be a competant in demand musician requires years of payed study, expensive equipment and intruments and also the maitainence of these instruments. My wife and I sing and play some 6 different instruments between us. We perform music for our own church for free as part of our contribution to that church. We also supply all our own equipment, PA system and so on. We are frequently requested to play at other churches and venues. We do not do this without payment. Our travel expenses must be met, an equipment allowance is calculated and accomadation and food allowance is calculated into this as well. This covers our "legitimate" expenses. If the church wishes to give a "blessing pack" on top of this that is great as it will assist our ministry. Mostly we find that churches are the most "tight arsed" organisations going unfortunately. They will not bat an eye at a $1000 plumbers bill but choke on the need to contribute to simple justified expenses. Unfortunately this attitude is like shooting youself in the foot. Musicians are becoming harder to find and many just give it away as they cannot aford to travel the country side, pay accomadation and costs and be expected to play and perform on fresh air, a clap and if lucky a bunch of posies.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by bigkev: 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
bigkev: The issue about paying Christian Musicians can be a real "Hot Potato". Judging by many oline blogs it would appear that there is some really lively discussion about this. I take the opinion that we do not need to spend time "Ranting" and "Quoting" scripture as I do not believe that has any bearing on the subject at all.
A church community will pay their rates, the plumber and all other trade related expenses. They will pay the minister and he will likely get a car allowance a church house supplied and so on. Why single out the musicians. They will pay the solicitor and will have to pay the accountant when they submit their annual tax forms. To be a competant in demand musician requires years of payed study, expensive equipment and intruments and also the maitainence of these instruments. My wife and I sing and play some 6 different instruments between us. We perform music for our own church for free as part of our contribution to that church. We also supply all our own equipment, PA system and so on. We are frequently requested to play at other churches and venues. We do not do this without payment. Our travel expenses must be met, an equipment allowance is calculated and accomadation and food allowance is calculated into this as well. This covers our "legitimate" expenses. If the church wishes to give a "blessing pack" on top of this that is great as it will assist our ministry. Mostly we find that churches are the most "tight arsed" organisations going unfortunately. They will not bat an eye at a $1000 plumbers bill but choke on the need to contribute to simple justified expenses. Unfortunately this attitude is like shooting youself in the foot. Musicians are becoming harder to find and many just give it away as they cannot aford to travel the country side, pay accomadation and costs and be expected to play and perform on fresh air, a clap and if lucky a bunch of posies.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by Recleftic: 5:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? by 123over: 8:44am On Sep 04, 2015
My people! This una talk here plenty, no be small.
Paying instrumentalist or not paying instrumentalist, is a never ending topic.
There are two types of instrumentalist. Those that just play without thinking of warm-ups and those that put in everything to bring out the best.
They are both talented but the latter have developed their talents over time. Some instrumentalist spend 4 hours and even more, on their instrument every day warming up, to stay fit (playing very well, even advanced songs on all keys).
If you have a full time job, u cannot grow well in your music ministry. I know we like to faith everything, but the bible says, faith without work is death and that we should study to show ourselves approved unto God. You may say, these scriptures are for spiritual Issues but playing an instrument to God, is a spiritual thing too.
So, If the church is satisfied with what they have (Struggling instrumentalist, since the instrumentalist are trying to struggle with working and till keep up with playing for the church), then let them not pay but they shouldn't put unnecessary pressure on the instrumentalist expecting them to be around whenever they need them.
God is faithful,loving,unchangeable but our church leaders know how to twist things around sometimes to their favor.
We should draw a line between God and the church, even though the bible says they should be connected, the head and body (Romans 12:5).
Sometimes you are there for the body of Christ, contributing your all, without pay and when you are in need, nobody is there for you.
God is a faithful God, and may end up using stones to meet your needs.
God doesn't run the church directly, men do. It is the human factor in the church that brings about errors in the church.
It is well o.
It is more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35). This scripture has been Abused.It was Paul (a leader) that was working to meet his needs and that of others. Do our church leaders do same or they just tell us to give?
Paul says, Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1)
Imagine how the church will look like if nobody is been paid. We all do circular jobs like Paul to help support the church (Acts 20:32-35)
The good news is that, we all have the Bible to read for ourselves too.
There is God o!
Bye!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop blasphemy God / Joagbaje Was Right About Ebola, Jesus Is The Cure, AnotherEbola Victim Testifies / What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.