Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure (6140 Views)

EFCC Operatives Arrest PDP Spokesperson Olisa Metuh Over N1.4b Fraud / Joshua Okpo Dies After Amaechi Ordered Probe Of N18bn Expenditure / Independence Anniversary Expenditure For The Past 5 Years. - Nasir El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by wesley80(m): 8:14am On May 06, 2012
By Chinedu Eze

The Governor of Delta State, Emmanuel Uduaghan, has said that the N7.4 billion budgeted for the earth movement at the Asaba International Airport was to enhance pilots’ visibility and for the airport to accommodate large body aircraft. He explained that his administration was abiding by the conditions given by the aviation regulatory body, the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA). Speaking to selected Aviation Correspondents in Asaba at the weekend, the Governor said that work had started on the project long before the planned visit of the President for the South South Economic Summit, remarking that the airport was built with 3.4 kilometer runway with 50 metres width, which qualifies it to accommodate a Boeing 747 aircraft and its equivalent. He however added that there are conditions that must be met before such aircraft could be allowed to land by the regulatory body. Such conditions, according to him, include having a strip of 120 meters on either side of the runway, and that the ends of the runway must be at the same ground level with the runway. “ So inevitably the hill at the end of the runway must be cut down and the earth moved to the sloppy sides of the runway so that there is equal ground level distance of 300 meters on either side of the runway. “So the N7.4 billion was not budgeted just for cutting of the hill but for complete earth work to ensure that the runway is at the level of its surrounding so that the airport meets international standard for easy visibility of the pilot, the landing and take-off of large body aircraft and for safety at the runway and the whole airside of the airport”, he said Uduaghan added, “The contract for the leveling of the hills was not awarded because of the recently concluded South South Summit we hosted in Asaba; it is purely driven by the technical and safety consideration of the NCAA. The contract has since 2011 been awarded, as the Chief Executive of the state, I directed the contractor to get the job done in good time because we are in a hurry to get the airport up and running, that is our goal and this is driven by the pressure I am under from our sister states in the South East, Anambra, Abia, Enugu to get the airport running.” The Governor also explained that the contractor had done about 10 percent of the job after about 10 months, calculating that with that pace job would be completed in the next two years, which was not what government, which was already under pressure to kick off the cargo part of the air operation, so government had to bring in two more contractors at the same budget of N7.4 billion to finish the job in time. On the amount of money budgeted for the project, the Governor said, “I think the figure that is being bandied about is the totality of so many things, the unfortunate thing is that the time the figures were sent out, it was not properly transmitted, and that is the unfortunate thing.” In addition to the earthwork, the money budgeted would also fund the building of quarters for essential staff at the airport, according to the state government. Before Uduaghan became the Governor of Delta state, his predecessor had built an airstrip at Asaba, but seeing the economic potential of having a full airport in the capital, Uduaghan’s administration embarked on building an airport for big body aircraft, looking at the business communities all around Asaba. “The desire to go beyond just having an airstrip as thought by the last administration to me makes an economic sense, because the Asaba airport will be fed by passenger traffic from the Onitsha, Nnewi axis and other key areas of the South East. We also considered the cargo activity at the airport; that is why we embarked on the airport project,” the Governor explained. But the snag was that the there was no stretch of level land for about four kilometers that could take the airport, so the government had to do with what was available. “We wanted to build an airport with a runway length of between 3.4 kilometre and four kilometers, unfortunately, there is no terrain in Asaba area that could give us such stretch of land; the topography here in Asaba is mainly either hills, or low lands, rivers almost like a valley. With all the directions and technical survey that was done for the airport, we got where we are now, which gives us two terrains, the hill on one side and the river on the other side, we have to make do with what is available.” He said that his administration had to embark on the project with serious and heavy engineering work, dealing with all challenges offered by the topography, including this latest one, which is leveling the whole surrounding of the runway and cutting the hill at its end. Meanwhile, the airport is already providing service for the teeming businessmen and women in Onitsha and its environs as airlines operating into the airport enjoy full load factor on every flight.

thisdaylive.com/articles/uduaghan-explains-n7-4bn-budget-for-asaba-airport/115198/
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by wesley80(m): 8:16am On May 06, 2012
Fair enough?
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Nobody: 8:34am On May 06, 2012
wesley80: Fair enough?
young man, make Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ get sense Oº°˚˚˚°h.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by wesley80(m): 8:54am On May 06, 2012
blink182: young man, make Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ get sense Oº°˚˚˚°h.

Old man, na question I ask.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Mynd44: 8:58am On May 06, 2012
Why can't he just call Boko Naram to blasted the hill for him and then they can go and do the rest because from what I hear, they are in need of things to blow up

2 Likes

Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 9:02am On May 06, 2012
are you saying the contractor did not see the hill before starting the project ?

MOREOVER NOT ALL STATES IN NIGERIA WOULD HAVE AN AIRPORT, I WONDER HOW NIGERIAN REASON AT TIMES.

EVERY SINGLE STATE WANT TO BE ANAMBRA LAGOS OR ABUJA. IT IS STU.PIDITY.

Build an airport only if it is viable and stop wasting money. Why not donate the money to Akwa ibom so the SS region would have one world class standard airport rather than 100 3rd class airports.

1 Like

Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 9:07am On May 06, 2012
Having a world class int airport in Akwa Ibom would make people that love the luxury and comfort to be travelling though AI rather than go through the stress of Lagos or Abuja.

We can make life comfortable for all of us, we are just too stubborn
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by wesley80(m): 9:08am On May 06, 2012
alj harem: are you saying the contractor did not see the hill before starting the project ?

MOREOVER NOT ALL STATES IN NIGERIA WOULD HAVE AN AIRPORT, I WONDER HOW NIGERIAN REASON AT TIMES.

Build an airport only if it is viable and stop wasting money. Why not donate the money to Akwa ibom so the SS region would have one world class standard airport rather than 100 3rd class airports.

Aboki, what r u yapping? Did u even read the article at all? Are u questioning the viabilty of an airport in Asaba or what r u going on about? Must u comment even when you've got nothing sensible to say? Wetin sef!
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 9:13am On May 06, 2012
wesley80:

Aboki, what r u yapping? Did u even read the article at all? Are u questioning the viabilty of an airport in Asaba or what r u going on about? Must u comment even when you've got nothing sensible to say? Wetin sef!

If I understand the article quite right, NDCC did not allow the airport to be operational because of the topography (hill etc ).

If yes, then I still maintain my stance
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Mynd44: 9:17am On May 06, 2012
We live in Nigeria where every state wants an Airport. I am not arguing the viability of an Airport in Asaba but seriously these governors are just wasting funds building Airports everywhere
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by wesley80(m): 9:23am On May 06, 2012
alj harem:

If I understand the article quite right, NDCC did not allow the airport to be operational because of the topography (hill etc ).

If yes, then I still maintain my stance

No, you didnt understand the article and I honestly do not think u even bothered to read it.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Rhino5dm: 10:28am On May 06, 2012
Atleast "wasting" the money is better than looting it to far away Swiz, US or UK? . . .as case of[b] James "Bond" Ibori[/b]

If treuly that was the reasons for additional cost as depicted in the article, then I say fair enough.

Delta State is one of the most economically viable state, so putting up a world class airport is long overdue. Those at shell, Escravos and other crude oil fields can now fly directly to Delta state, therefore de-conjesting Lagos and Abuja. Bravo!

Mynd_44: We live in Nigeria where every state wants an Airport. I am not arguing the viability of an Airport in Asaba but seriously these governors are just wasting funds building Airports everywhere
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by sandee575(f): 11:43am On May 06, 2012
All state governors yearn for their own airports because:
1. Large sums of money can be stolen through contract manipulations well into the billions.
2. Cheap popularity in the eyes of the largely uninformed citizens of their states.
3. Mr. Governor's private jet can land at "home" rather than where he still has a road trip ahead.
4. Family and cronies are given juicy positions to embezzle airport fees and charges.
5. Governor can boast about how he built an aiport until the day he dies.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by DaLover(m): 11:56am On May 06, 2012
A few questions the article did not answer.
1...was the value for the additional earth moving works gotten from a competitive bidding process?
2...secondly, who is voing to run the airport? Whats the governor s plan to recoup the investment in the airport...?

My fear in all these it that these things are not run as businesses, profit and loss, returns on investments etc
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 06, 2012
another waste of public funds! smh
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:37pm On May 06, 2012
I cant wait for this Asaba airport to start operations; It will be beneficial to especially we Anambrarians and that why Peter Obi is reluctant in building one. I hate flying in through lagos because of the hassles that comes with lagos. Asaba is gonna explode very soon,insha allau!
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by olajide8(m): 1:28pm On May 06, 2012
wesley80: By Chinedu Eze

thisdaylive.com/articles/uduaghan-explains-n7-4bn-budget-for-asaba-airport/115198/
These stupid rogues! Well nah you people money sha! Let's put pen and reasoning to paper it is costing the federal government -N 14-15billion to construct using Julius Berger over 40 something kilometres of 4 lanes or 5lanes of road from the city centre of the federal capital Abuja, which was still probed by the last Senate/national assembly over allegation of over invoicing, including infrastructure street lights and pedestrian bridges bus stop parks more than 6 bridges and rock excavation for the right of way concrete gutters, and it is costing the DELTA state government the home of IBORI. -N7.4billion to do how many 3.4kms, when a bridge across water of 2km bridge O! Was built with about 2.something billion by lagos state government with infrastructure, I hail you delta people O! You no dey fit vote better people? or these ones are the best amongst the rest Warri I hail O! Area!
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 1:34pm On May 06, 2012
wesley80:

No, you didnt understand the article and I honestly do not think u even bothered to read it.

My brother, I read it. Infact just to be sure again I just finish reading it now.

I still think it is a waste of funds. It would be more profitable for Nigeria indeed the SS to have invested on one airport so it could be unto world standards. Akwa Ibom comes to mind

Emmanuel is just wasting money and time. FACT !

Today in Nigeria, we have airports wasting way for example Minna international. What a waste, a total waste
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by wesley80(m): 1:41pm On May 06, 2012
^^ Why are u comparing an airport that'll service one of the busiest markets in Africa and major industrial and commercial towns in the South East with a prestige airport built in the middle of the desert? Do you know how many hours it takes to complete a trip from Asaba to Uyo or even PH or Enugu the other major Airport locations? I expect useful and constructive criticisms like that offered by @Olajide not this flawed critique u're offering.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 1:47pm On May 06, 2012
wesley80: ^^ Why are u comparing an airport that'll service one of the busiest markets in Africa and major industrial and commercial towns in the South East with a prestige airport built in the middle of the desert?

What !!!

then why not build the airport in Anambra then rather than build in Asaba knowing full well it is only ONE niger bridge we have.

You talk of Onitsha market I presume ?

So you mean transportation of goods and people from asaba to the SE through Onitsha would have to go through this single and one Niger-bridge that was built 50-60 years ago if not more.

Haba. Building the airport in Anambra would have made it a better judgement in my opinion .

But also if this is what would force the FG to build a bigger and better SECOND Niger bridge, then good !!!

It is a two way thing
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by warrior01: 1:59pm On May 06, 2012
aljarem, how is an airport built in akwa ibom more viable than one being built in asaba. I'm with uduaghan on this, as i foresee an airport that will play a big role in the economies of ss/se regions with its proximity to onitsha and nnewi. kudos to uduaghan on this
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:06pm On May 06, 2012
We s'easterners (especially Anambra) are sufficient with the Asaba airport. All we need is a second niger bridge and we will be just fine!
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 2:11pm On May 06, 2012
warrior01: aljarem, how is an airport built in akwa ibom more viable than one being built in asaba. I'm with uduaghan on this, as i foresee an airport that will play a big role in the economies of ss/se regions with its proximity to onitsha and nnewi. kudos to uduaghan on this

My brother I am sorry, I was not looking at it from the view of Onitsha. Even at that if built in Akwa Ibom and a good rail system is in place, it would not take anything from SE.

Think about it, places like Abia, enugu etc would benefit from it as well not only in trade but also in the flexibility of movement.

How I wish Nigerian government get sense.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:15pm On May 06, 2012
alj harem:

What !!!

then why not build the airport in Anambra then rather than build in Asaba knowing full well it is only ONE niger bridge we have.

You talk of Onitsha market I presume ?

So you mean transportation of goods and people from asaba to the SE through Onitsha would have to go through this single and one Niger-bridge that was built 50-60 years ago if not more.

Haba. Building the airport in Anambra would have made it a better judgement in my opinion .

But also if this is what would force the FG to build a bigger and better SECOND Niger bridge, then good !!!

It is a two way thing

I warn you son of doom; There is a very good business understanding between Anambra and Delta hence the reason why Peter Obi is not building one. Again, all we need is a second niger bridge with an in built rail way that will connect it to Asaba and midwest.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by aljharem(m): 2:17pm On May 06, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

I warn you son of doom; There is a very good business understanding between Anambra and Delta hence the reason why Peter Obi is not building one. Again, all we need is a second niger bridge with an in built rail way that will connect it to Asaba and midwest.

Ok sir
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 06, 2012
wesley80:

Old man, na question I ask.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by bigsean(m): 3:47pm On May 06, 2012
alj harem: are you saying the contractor did not see the hill before starting the project ?

I was initially agreeing with you, then you lost me in-between,
I agree the contractors messed it all up (i am not surprised though, this is Nigeria, everything goes, thanks to corruption)
But where i disagree is, ALL STATES should have an airport!!! Easy transportation and accessibility is necessary for development of an area/city
not having an airport is not an option. but unfortunately corruption is priority in our leaders hearts and the will being of the citizenry is left in Gods hands!
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by djcmeon39(m): 3:48pm On May 06, 2012
hmm uduaghan,always in d news for d wrong reasons,7.4 millon,oh billion! 2 clear a hill dat was neva dere,i taught d project was for jonathan to land his plane durin d summit,i passed dere yesterday and believe me,no work is goin on dere.dis money is surely mean't to be shared by dem dem,
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by otokx(m): 6:29pm On May 06, 2012
alj harem: Having a world class int airport in Akwa Ibom would make people that love the luxury and comfort to be travelling though AI rather than go through the stress of Lagos or Abuja.

We can make life comfortable for all of us, we are just too stubborn

People are already flying in and out through Port Harcourt International Airport.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by doctokwus: 7:02pm On May 06, 2012
So because an airport needs to b built,any amount spent is ok for some people.I see nothing but fraud written all over dis project.1st d original contractor did 10% of d job& 3 new ones were contracted,I assume @ d original N7b budget.Uduagan shd tell us how much d 1st was paid& whc job did he/she do.Who are d new contractors,how did dis N7b evaluation come about.This idea of d scope being more dan cutting down of d hills is an afterthought,dis is an overbloated contract,awarded for d primary purpose of siphoning funds,not for any beneficial purpose purpose for d state.To further gv lie to his statement,he spiced it by saying other eastern governors are putting pressure on him to complete d project,meanwhile Enugu has one,Imo has one,akwa ibom is building one,ph has an international airport,so how can pressurise u to complete yors,liar!
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Tropilo(m): 7:28pm On May 06, 2012
olajide_07:
These stupid rogues! Well nah you people money sha! Let's put pen and reasoning to paper it is costing the federal government -N 14-15billion to construct using Julius Berger over 40 something kilometres of 4 lanes or 5lanes of road from the city centre of the federal capital Abuja, which was still probed by the last Senate/national assembly over allegation of over invoicing, including infrastructure street lights and pedestrian bridges bus stop parks more than 6 bridges and rock excavation for the right of way concrete gutters, and it is costing the DELTA state government the home of IBORI. -N7.4billion to do how many 3.4kms, when a bridge across water of 2km bridge O! Was built with about 2.something billion by lagos state government with infrastructure, I hail you delta people O! You no dey fit vote better people? or these ones are the best amongst the rest Warri I hail O! Area!

My brother, run-way construction and road construction are two very distinct forms of construction and have different and varying specifications. Even for light aircrafts, standard crafts, jumbo crafts and cargo crafts.
Please, i am not holding brief for Mr. Governor on this issue but just acquainting you with the differentials.
However, it might interest you to note that the FG is currently constructing one in Abuja for 7 times the Delta State cost. This airport is very viable and particularly useful to those of us who are from Delta State and duel outside Nigeria.
Ibori did nothing through his 8yrs but to come and put shame on us here in England.
Re: Uduaghan Explains N7.4b Asaba Airport Expenditure by Tropilo(m): 7:29pm On May 06, 2012
olajide_07:

My brother, run-way construction and road construction are two very distinct forms of construction and have different and varying specifications. Even for light aircrafts, standard crafts, jumbo crafts and cargo crafts.
Please, i am not holding brief for Mr. Governor on this issue but just acquainting you with the differentials.
However, it might interest you to note that the FG is currently constructing one in Abuja for 7 times the Delta State cost. This airport is very viable and particularly useful to those of us who are from Delta State and duel outside Nigeria.
Ibori did nothing through his 8yrs but to come and put shame on us here in England.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FLASHBACK 2007: You Stabbed Me In The Back, Buhari Accuses ANPP Leaders / Reply To The Politics Of Big Brother With Six Yoruba Men And Six Igbo Women Shar / Borno Leads Ebonyi On NBS Ranking Of States IGR Of 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.