Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. (65680 Views)

Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. / Showcasing Igbo culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Abagworo(m): 10:12pm On May 06, 2012
Such phrases as "Ada n'eri ukwu anu", "Ikhi nwe ulo" and "Opara nwe ala" are common and widely accepted across Igboland but what I'm yet to understand is how the Orlu'Ulu title came to be and why the importance attached to it.

Orlu is a term widely used in Igbo language in reference to a 2nd child(male or female). While a lot of other African cultures have little or no value for the Orlu, the Igbos seem to cherish it so much that names dedicated to the Orlu child are too numerous to mention. The simplest is Nworlu,Worlu, Nwolu or Nwulu.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:26am On May 07, 2012
Abagworo: Such phrases as "Ada n'eri ukwu anu", "Ikhi nwe ulo" and "Opara nwe ala" are common and widely accepted across Igboland but what I'm yet to understand is how the Orlu'Ulu title came to be and why the importance attached to it.

Orlu is a term widely used in Igbo language in reference to a 2nd child(male or female). While a lot of other African cultures have little or no value for the Orlu, the Igbos seem to cherish it so much that names dedicated to the Orlu child are too numerous to mention. The simplest is Nworlu,Worlu, Nwolu or Nwulu.

What part of Igboland is this custom prevalent in because we dont have this practice in Anambra,Enugu and Anioma areas or maybe its isnt prominent there. Though we have the "ada na eli ukwu anu" and "okpala nwe ana" customs. I will like to know where these custom is practiced.

5 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:27am On May 07, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli = Nri Priest.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Abagworo(m): 6:01am On May 07, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

What part of Igboland is this custom prevalent in because we dont have this practice in Anambra,Enugu and Anioma areas or maybe its isnt prominent there. Though we have the "ada na eli ukwu anu" and "okpala nwe ana" customs. I will like to know where these custom is practiced.

Maybe I did not do my studies well but I guess Ihiala and Okija are in Anambra State and they happen to have the culture. It is probably more prevalent in the Imo/Abia axis.

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by nedu210(m): 1:43am On May 08, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

like the first and last child, the second is also very important and some times well cherished than the first child, in my part of igboland they are called ulu nwa, and they usualy named after their maternal grand parent making them an 'ogo'. Ulu nwa are more respected both in their village and maternal village. They are called nwa ulu in northern igboland and nwa olu in southern igbo land.

3 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by nedu210(m): 3:02am On May 08, 2012
Abagworo:

Maybe I did not do my studies well but I guess Ihiala and Okija are in Anambra State and they happen to have the culture. It is probably more prevalent in the Imo/Abia axis.
u did ur studies well but u seems not to be sure of ur self. Next time u have to do a thorough study and be very sure befor u come out with such because, had it been that u were face with four or five people that ar ignorant of this culture u will simply back off, but if u ar sure u will stand firm and be confidend to defent that which u believe in. Any way thanks for reminding us this part of our culture, next time be confident. Note, that so many people has mis-interpreted our way of life, and lack of confidence has left so many of us with no other option than to go with what ever they say. Its time we put a stop to it, no body can interpret our culture more than us.

14 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by somegirl1: 12:43pm On Dec 12, 2012
please what is "Ikhi"?
"Ulu/ Olu" is a very important position in Imo and Abia, I don't know about Anambra, Enugu, Delta and Rivers.
Ulu as far as I'm aware refers to the second daughter not son.
In Cross River and Akwa Ibom states second daughters are called "Uduwen" and second sons "Udo"

p.s. Owerre people attach importance to third daughters as well who are called "Ibari"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ezeagu(m): 12:54pm On Dec 12, 2012
I also see a pattern of ulu being 'more cherished' but I only put this down to the ulu usually being the last born/younger child, and the okpara being the one who is given a lot (maybe too much) responsibility even from a young age.

nedu210:
like the first and last child, the second is also very important and some times well cherished than the first child, in my part of igboland they are called ulu nwa, and they usualy named after their maternal grand parent making them an 'ogo'. Ulu nwa are more respected both in their village and maternal village. They are called nwa ulu in northern igboland and nwa olu in southern igbo land.

They're called ụlụ in northern Abia as well.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Abagworo(m): 2:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
some-girl:
please what is "Ikhi"?

p.s. Owerre people attach importance to third daughters as well who are called "Ibari"

Yes I've only noticed "Ibari" culture in Owerri but I suspect that Etche in Rivers State might have it. "Ikhi" or "Ikhiulo" is a variation of "Okenye" or "Ikinye" or "Okomadu" depending on the Igbo dialect in question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ifyalways(f): 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
To the best of my knowledge the "ulu nwa" culture is prevalent in Imo state, I'm not sure it extends to Abia.

Most times, the ulu is seen as a reincarnation of the maternal grandmother. Most ulu's are very close to their grannies.

Ulu's are also very free to marry from any region unlike Ada's that are encouraged to marry within the hood.

Ada wu Ada ulo, ulu wu nke oha.

3 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:25pm On Dec 12, 2012
I don't know about Imo as a whole, but I am sure of the prevalence of Ulu culture in Mbaise and Ngor-Okpuala areas of Imo, as well as in southern Abia (Ngwa, Asa, Ndoki) and Rivers (Etche and Ikwere). Nwulu/Wulu/Worlu is (or was) typically used for proper names of second children, in the aforementioned areas. Aside from that, and to the best of my knowledge, the term ulu is applicable to both male and female children, at least in the aforementioned communities. This is the first I'm hearing of it being exclusive to daughters (going by some-girl's post).

As at now, Nwulu/Wulu/Worlu naming seems to have phased out of the culture. I do not know how relevant the ulu culture is today or what the actual role of [I]ulu[/I] children are, but I am sure of its prevalence at least 50 years ago.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ezeagu(m): 7:01am On Dec 13, 2012
Again, since the okpara inherits the compound of his father, it could be the importance of expanding and spreading out the lineage is mostly down to ulu, since they don't get the main compound.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:16am On Dec 13, 2012
ezeagu: Again, since the okpara inherits the compound of his father, it could be the importance of expanding and spreading out the lineage is mostly down to ulu, since they don't get the main compound.
I can understand the logic behind this. The only thing though is that culturally, land is pre-apportioned to the sons, by the father, as inheritance before they reach maturity. This is all the sons, from the oldest to the youngest. I've not heard of an instance in which the opara inherited the main compound and the subsequent sons had the responsibility of expanding the lineage compound outward. Then again, I should probably also note that this is to the best of my knowledge, and relates specifically to the oral traditions passed down and what I have been taught about my community, culture and region. So this isn't to speak on how other communities outside my culture-zone do it.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ezeagu(m): 8:29am On Dec 13, 2012
I know that all the sons, and maybe even daughters, are given land, but unlike the okpara they can choose to live on other lands that they own, even if it is still in the village and they are never given the main compound which is always reserved for the first son and his family. There are also siblings that live closely together, maybe because they do not want to move out or sisters that didn't marry, or for whatever reason, but still the okpara owns that land. The practice is one of those things that is done in most parts of Igboland.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
I guess. It's as I stated earlier. I can understand the logic behind ulu and expansion.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
We don't observe such in Okija, I have many friend from Imo State who normally regard some of their sisters as "Uru nne" but I never bothered to ask them because I always thought it meant "elder sister"

Its not popular in Okija but I will ask shaa but I have never heard anybody made mentioned of that in my area.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by scholes0(m): 9:20pm On Sep 02, 2015
And exactly why is this topic pinned to the top of the culture section?
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by absoluteSuccess: 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2015
scholes0:
And exactly why is this topic pinned to the top of the culture section?

where else should it be na? cool

It is the most important thread of the year.

5 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by scholes0(m): 9:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

where else should it be na? cool

It is the most important thread of the year.

lol
do I smell sarcasm?
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by somegirl1: 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
BuddahMonk:
We don't observe such in Okija, I have many friend from Imo State who normally regard some of their sisters as "Uru nne" but I never bothered to ask them because I always thought it meant "elder sister"

Its not popular in Okija but I will ask shaa but I have never heard anybody made mentioned of that in my area.

Must have been. "Ulu nne (m)"
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Grateful69(m): 8:26pm On Sep 07, 2015
The Igbo society is a class one......History has taught us that class struggle ranging from: age,wealth,strength,beauty and so on,,,The OKPARAS take the place of the father in his absence and sometimes equate the power of the mother,,,, when property is shared most at times is under his discretion to give to whom ever what he chooses...

1 Like

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Ihuomadinihu: 10:08am On Sep 08, 2015
Nairalanders that are second children be like ''we are also important in Alaigbo'':|.
I believe the OP is a second child.

4 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Ihuomadinihu: 10:24am On Sep 08, 2015
To the best of my knowledge, Ulu culture is prevalent in parts of Imo and Abia state, am not conversant with the Northern regions.
There was probably a time when Igbos attached strong sentiments to the Ulu or second child. In this day and age, the Ada and Okparas are have the greatest importance in Igbo culture.

However,i know men that bear ''Nwulu'' as a surname in Imo state.
For now, only women are referred to as Ulu, Ulunma and Ulunwa while second male Children are called Di Okpara.
Like i pointed out before,there was probably a time when Igbos had the Ulu culture and both second female and male children were called Ulu , Nwulu or Ulunwa.
Am yet to see a man referred to as an Ulu in 2015.

When i look at igbo culture, sometimes i see them like a large family which developed big traditions. Each group is allowed to hold on to some cultures and others are allowed to discard same cultures adopted by the other group.
That could be the reason for our diversity way before the white man arrived.
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Ihuomadinihu: 10:38am On Sep 08, 2015
somegirl1:
please what is "Ikhi"?
"Ulu/ Olu" is a very important position in Imo and Abia, I don't know about Anambra, Enugu, Delta and Rivers.
Ulu as far as I'm aware refers to the second daughter not son.
In Cross River and Akwa Ibom states second daughters are called "Uduwen" and second sons "Udo"

I like this Udunwe and Udo thing. It shows how we are connected despite your obvious differences.

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Otherique: 11:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
To the best of my knowledge, Ulu culture is prevalent in parts of Imo and Abia state, am not conversant with the Northern regions.
There was probably a time when Igbos attached strong sentiments to the Ulu or second child. In this day and age, the Ada and Okparas are have the greatest importance in Igbo culture.

However,i know men that bear ''Nwulu'' as a surname in Imo state.
For now, only women are referred to as Ulu, Ulunma and Ulunwa while second male Children are called Di Okpara.
Like i pointed out before,there was probably a time when Igbos had the Ulu culture and both second female and male children were called Ulu , Nwulu or Ulunwa.
Am yet to see a man referred to as an Ulu in 2015.

When i look at igbo culture, sometimes i see them like a large family which developed big traditions. Each group is allowed to hold on to some cultures and others are allowed to discard same cultures adopted by the other group.
That could be the reason for our diversity way before the white man arrived.

The characteristics of culture coming to bare.

culture is stable and culture is changing especially when it comes into contact with other cultures.

I am thrilled at the commentaries posted so far.

kudos.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 18, 2015
Wow so cool
cc: Gurgle

Lemme even go and query dose my parents self cause e be like say na the second child in my family who dem favour most o angry grin
Re: The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. by lat78: 5:26am On Sep 21, 2015
igbo tradition funny abeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.