Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

Books On The Nigerian Civil War. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Books On The Nigerian Civil War. (9607 Views)

MY BIAFRAN EYES: AN ACCOUNT OF THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR BY OKEY NDIBE / An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche / ''journey Of No Return'' A Fiction Centered On The Nigerian Civil War. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by chisco: 9:55am On Nov 13, 2007
Hello Nairalanders! I'm presently writing on the issue of characterisation in war books with emphasis on the Nigerian Civil War (1967-70), please can anyone in the house recommend some books and the characters involved in such books with focus on their wartime attitudes compared to before-or-after the war? Thank you.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 13, 2007
Divided We STand- Cyprian Ekwensi

The Last Duty- Isidore Okpewho

Survive the Peace- cyprian ekwensi

Toads of War- eddie Iroh

Girls at war and other Stories- Chinua Achebe?

Half of a Yellow Sun- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

suggest you get hold of the books and do your reading by yourself first.

1 Like

Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by Orikinla(m): 11:10am On Nov 14, 2007
See also Nelson Otta's book on the Nigerian civil war.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by biggerboy(m): 4:28pm On Nov 14, 2007
ziddy:

Divided We STand- Cyprian Ekwensi

The Last Duty- Isidore Okpewho

Survive the Peace- cyprian ekwensi

Toads of War- eddie Iroh

Girls at war and other Stories- Chinua Achebe?

Half of a Yellow Sun- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Please how and where do i get 'half of a yelow sun"I have been looking for that book

suggest you get hold of the books and do your reading by yourself first.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2007
try Glendora bookshop @ falomo shopping complex in Ikoyi
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by chisco: 4:26pm On Nov 15, 2007
Thanks Pals, already have some of the recommended texts but would still appreciate more posts specifically making comments on the characters in such books.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by maxsiollun: 7:01pm On Nov 22, 2007
There are numerous books on the Nigerian civil war which fall into three categories:

1) Those written by the protagonists. Usually the most detailed but also the most biased.
2) Those written by professional writers.
3) Post civil war literature by civilians.

Books:
Alex Madiebo's "The Biafran Revolution and the Nigerian Civil War" (authorative source, author was the head of the Biafran army)
"The Brothers' War" by John de St Jorre - the best book IMHO on the war. Very balanced account of the events leading up to and during the war.
Obasanjo's "My Command" - GOC of the 3 Marine Commando division which made the breakthrough for the federal army.

1 Like

Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by chisco: 9:31am On Nov 23, 2007
Thanks Max, but what your view on the characterisation in the recommended texts?
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by maxsiollun: 5:42am On Nov 24, 2007
Chisco. What do you mean by "characterisation"?
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by chisco: 10:19am On Nov 26, 2007
Max, i mean the key characters in the books and your assessment of the role they played in the story. The purpose for asking this is to have your opinion of what you think was the effect of the nigerian civil war on such identified persons.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by maxsiollun: 4:10am On Nov 27, 2007
The books written by "characters" in my list are those by OBJ and Madiebo. As they say: history is written by the victors. OBJ's wartime role as a GOC propelled him to national fame and led him to being the longest serving head of state in Nigerian history. Madiebo was on the losing side but despite his excellent command of the Biafran army with meagre resources his name does not come up much. Had he been on the winning side he would have been nationally famous.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by chisco: 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Max, for the brief on OBJ and Madiebo.
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by amena(f): 10:23pm On Nov 28, 2007
Elechi Amadi, Sunset in Biafra
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by Irk(m): 7:37am On Dec 17, 2010
Girls at war & half of a yellow sun
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by CyberG: 8:57pm On Aug 02, 2011
I just ordered some of those books from the university library!
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by MrEverest(m): 10:57am On Jul 17, 2012
Journey 0f No Return - Tochukwu Nwankwo
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by nick16: 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2014
how about books on world war
Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by omoba4real: 11:21am On Feb 20, 2015
[size=14pt]You can get some books about the Nigerian Civil War from Sunshine Bookseller: http://www.sunshinenigeria.com/nigeria-civil-war[/size]

1 Like

Re: Books On The Nigerian Civil War. by emmapowerful: 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2021
Title: NIGERIA IS A ZOO
Author: Emma Powerful

(1) (Reply)

Ceos In Love / Checkmate Competition- Group 1 Collaboration Thread / Something From Pandora’s Box (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.