Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? (5080 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:02pm On May 07, 2012
have you heard of any tribe in Nigeria, where the wife has more than one husband
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by TheArbiter: 12:15pm On May 07, 2012
I recall a colonial study documenting a minority tribe along the middle belt or North-eastern Nigeria (Adamawa region) practicing it. Will delve into my library and see if i can come up with a name. Due to the stigma, u may find few willing to admit their tribe practices it.
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by TheArbiter: 6:05am On May 10, 2012
@PAGAN 9JA

Havn't found the reference yet. Rifling thru old books can be pretty boring. Will make a note to make a post when i find it (kinda busy wit other things now).
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:19pm On May 11, 2012
Brother dont worry yourself. I fount out the Polyanders of Nigeria. grin

It is the Irigwe Peoples of Jos Plateau. Co-husband relationships enjoyed by the traditional Irigwe system of secondary marriage helped in former days to keep the tribe's twenty-five ritual units at peace with one another. In 1968 both the traditionalist "pagan" majority and the change oriented Christian minority on the Irigwe Tribal Council voted to outlaw all future secondary marriages, after the recent establishment of a Tribal Administration.
The Irigwe, numbering around 17,000, are the third largest of several dozen "plateau pagan" tribes on the Jos Plateau in Benue-Plateau State, Nigeria. Situated on the western edge of the Plateau around 20 miles west of the towns of Jos and Bukuru, the lrigwe have their own language and social traditions which clearly distinguish them from the other plateau tribes. They are currently renowned all over the Plateau, indeed all over Nigeria, as skilled dancers.

[img]http://sirismm.si.edu/eepa/eep/eepa_04572.jpg[/img]
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by ifyalways(f): 1:14am On May 12, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Brother dont worry yourself. I fount out the Polyanders of Nigeria. grin

It is the Irigwe Peoples of Jos Plateau. Co-husband relationships enjoyed by the traditional Irigwe system of secondary marriage helped in former days to keep the tribe's twenty-five ritual units at peace with one another. In 1968 both the traditionalist "pagan" majority and the change oriented Christian minority on the Irigwe Tribal Council voted to outlaw all future secondary marriages, after the recent establishment of a Tribal Administration.
The Irigwe, numbering around 17,000, are the third largest of several dozen "plateau pagan" tribes on the Jos Plateau in Benue-Plateau State, Nigeria. Situated on the western edge of the Plateau around 20 miles west of the towns of Jos and Bukuru, the lrigwe have their own language and social traditions which clearly distinguish them from the other plateau tribes. They are currently renowned all over the Plateau, indeed all over Nigeria, as skilled dancers.

[img]http://sirismm.si.edu/eepa/eep/eepa_04572.jpg[/img]

Interesting.Do Irigwes still exist in present day Plateau?
Swinging comes close.
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by Ybutterfly: 3:11am On May 12, 2012
^^^^^^^^^@LL 0f tHem^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cheesy
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:27am On May 12, 2012
ifyalways: Interesting.Do Irigwes still exist in present day Plateau?
Swinging comes close.

yes ofcourse they do. those pictures are quite new. Around 17000-20,000 Irigwes.
Re: Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? by emofine2(f): 2:50pm On May 12, 2012
Interesting.

(1) (Reply)

Ibadan Praise Poetry / 16 Ways Of Saying "Hello" Correctly In Different Nigerian Languages / Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.