Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,067 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). (1115 Views)

What Makes America Great? / How MALCOLM X Made America Livable For Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by pufectskin: 3:58pm On May 08, 2012
Nigerians need inspiration like this:

"From the very beginning, the American dream meant proving to all mankind that freedom, justice, human rights and democracy were no utopia but were rather the most realistic policy there is and the most likely to improve the fate of each and every person.

America did not tell the millions of men and women who came from every country in the world and who—with their hands, their intelligence and their heart—built the greatest nation in the world: "Come, and everything will be given to you." She said: "Come, and the only limits to what you'll be able to achieve will be your own courage and your own talent." America embodies this extraordinary ability to grant each and every person a second chance.

Here, both the humblest and most illustrious citizens alike know that nothing is owed to them and that everything has to be earned. That's what constitutes the moral value of America. America did not teach men the idea of freedom; she taught them how to practice it. And she fought for this freedom whenever she felt it to be threatened somewhere in the world. It was by watching America grow that men and women understood that freedom was possible.

What made America great was her ability to transform her own dream into hope for all mankind."
And below a speech from President Nicholas of France
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The men and women of my generation heard their grandparents talk about how in 1917, America saved France at a time when it had reached the final limits of its strength, which it had exhausted in the most absurd and bloodiest of wars.

The men and women of my generation heard their parents talk about how in 1944, America returned to free Europe from the horrifying tyranny that threatened to enslave it.

Fathers took their sons to see the vast cemeteries where, under thousands of white crosses so far from home, thousands of young American soldiers lay who had fallen not to defend their own freedom but the freedom of all others, not to defend their own families, their own homeland, but to defend humanity as a whole.
Fathers took their sons to the beaches where the young men of America had so heroically landed. They read them the admirable letters of farewell that those 20-year-old soldiers had written to their families before the battle to tell them: "We don't consider ourselves heroes. We want this war to be over. But however much dread we may feel, you can count on us." Before they landed, Eisenhower told them: "The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you."

And as they listened to their fathers, watched movies, read history books and the letters of soldiers who died on the beaches of Normandy and Provence, as they visited the cemeteries where the star-spangled banner flies, the children of my generation understood that these young Americans, 20 years old, were true heroes to whom they owed the fact that they were free people and not slaves. France will never forget the sacrifice of your children.

To those 20-year-old heroes who gave us everything, to the families of those who never returned, to the children who mourned fathers they barely got a chance to know, I want to express France's eternal gratitude.

On behalf of my generation, which did not experience war but knows how much it owes to their courage and their sacrifice; on behalf of our children, who must never forget; to all the veterans who are here today and, notably the seven I had the honor to decorate yesterday evening, one of whom, Senator Inouye, belongs to your Congress, I want to express the deep, sincere gratitude of the French people. I want to tell you that whenever an American soldier falls somewhere in the world, I think of what the American army did for France. I think of them and I am sad, as one is sad to lose a member of one's family."
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 08, 2012
I strongly believe that United states is the Greatest simply because of Total respect for Her citizen.......anywhere in the world no matter how poor or how rich.....though politics also rule in some cases..........

Wether US do Good or Bad,tis all in d name of protecting Her citizen.......funny US......a citizen may be killed to protect other citizen(s),justifiably or Non-justifiably.........

US do not like any other country but her interest in that country........from capitalism(policy)........Oil...........Deadly diplomacy.........Justified/unjustified threat to another sovereign nation..........Fighting for a threated nation........subvention,intervention,donation to a plague nation,Freedom/Rule of Law.......US political/Diplomatic Chess Board is Great..................If only u can think like US..............

If u hate US liberal policy try Russian/China.........then d worst u shall experience.......

May God bless the United States of America and Manifest in My Country,Nigeria!!!!!(Sad)
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by ITbomb(m): 1:08am On May 09, 2012
Now, what is so tribalistic about this topic that u want it on the front page?
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Rossikk(m): 6:34am On May 09, 2012
donroxy: I strongly believe that United states is the Greatest simply because of Total respect for Her citizen.......anywhere in the world no matter how poor or how rich.....though politics also rule in some cases..........

Wether US do Good or Bad,tis all in d name of protecting Her citizen.......funny US......a citizen may be killed to protect other citizen(s),justifiably or Non-justifiably.........

US do not like any other country but her interest in that country........from capitalism(policy)........Oil...........Deadly diplomacy.........Justified/unjustified threat to another sovereign nation..........Fighting for a threated nation........subvention,intervention,donation to a plague nation,Freedom/Rule of Law.......US political/Diplomatic Chess Board is Great..................If only u can think like US..............

If u hate US liberal policy try Russian/China.........then d worst u shall experience.......

May God bless the United States of America and Manifest in My Country,Nigeria!!!!!(Sad)

You're a confused, brainwashed goat.

America is great because America kidnapped your ancestors in their millions to work for free, building up the country.

No country can be like America because no country will ever be able to enjoy such free labour ever again.

1 Like

Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Nobody: 7:25am On May 09, 2012
Rossikk:

America is great because America kidnapped your ancestors in their millions to work for free, building up the country.

No country can be like America because no country will ever be able to enjoy such free labour ever again.

Jesus Christ!! Must u call the OP a brainwashed goat b4 u air ur opinion? Mr Seun & the moderators please.... U guyz should not let this continue. This sort of Cyber-bullying is uncalled for!
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by texazzpete(m): 7:29am On May 09, 2012
Rossikk:

The Arab countries were exporting African slaves to the middle east nearly 1000 years ago. Go and read David Livingstone's accounts on the horrors of the trans-Saharan slave trade and the slave trade to the middle east. it is thought that far more people were taken as slaves through that route than the trans-atlantic slave trade.

Does that 'free labour' make the middle east the most developed region in the world?
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by naijaking1: 10:48am On May 09, 2012
On a one to one basis, the average American is 10x worse than an average African in terms of honesty, good conscience, and morality.
However, the foundation stone for the current American society were laid by people with very advanced understanding of philosophy(or meta-physics, if you like), sociology, science and the arts.
Their abilty to predicts human behavior and goverment responses to it is quite amazing. That's why openess(or troika--thanks to Gorbachave)is enshrined in just about every place in the form of unrestricted self expression.
Finally, American ills gradually heal itself with time, compare to ours that grow and worsen with time.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by bisi16(m): 11:33am On May 09, 2012
American ideology was conceived by George Washington and all presidents have abided by it, except JFK, who tried to change it, with his catholicism and close ties to the Vatican, look how he ended up. In essence, that ideology is worth killing for. That's y America is great.

Coming back to Naija, has any president ever articulated a long term ideology? Dis go come, say na blue. Another 1 come, e go say na red.. No straight 4ward ideology.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by ektbear: 5:25pm On May 09, 2012
A lot of luck. Right place, right time.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by ektbear: 5:27pm On May 09, 2012
If my descendants are fortunate enough to discover and conquer some (nearly) uninhabited, human-suitable planet rich with resources, then they too will look pretty awesome.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by pufectskin: 9:26am On May 10, 2012
ekt_bear: If my descendants are fortunate enough to discover and conquer some (nearly) uninhabited, human-suitable planet rich with resources, then they too will look pretty awesome.

I dont think so...America is not resource rich.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by pufectskin: 9:27am On May 10, 2012
ITbomb: Now, what is so tribalistic about this topic that u want it on the front page?

cheesy such sarcasm
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 23, 2012
Rossikk:

SMH 4 U.........i believe ur forefathers re still d one dat built d fighter jets used in world wars......ur forefathers were d one making d diplomatic policies dat make US Excel than any Country .......

Gawd.......Deliver African children from 'Brain Drain'..........
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Delafruita(m): 11:32pm On Jun 23, 2012
america is a great nation because of one thing only:GOOD LEADERSHIP.at critical points in the life of the united states,it was blessed with leaders who were ready to keep the dream alive.lincold during the civil war,FDR during the depression,washington,jefferson and adams during the early years.america allows for freedom,its a country in which everyone is. indivisible before God and the pursuit of happiness is the inalienable right of all its citizens.

its a country in which a poor boy fromarkansas who never knew his father and had three stepfathers within 25years could become president.

its a nation in which a boy born severely premature in a trailer park could rise to become governor

a nation in which all men are equal and except for affirmative action,have equal rights to every opportunity

america is great because it consciously develops its citizens into individual champions
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Kobojunkie: 1:17am On Jun 24, 2012
bisi16: Coming back to Naija, has any president ever articulated a long term ideology? Dis go come, say na blue. Another 1 come, e go say na red.. No straight 4ward ideology.

One of the major problems is that in Nigeria, the people have no respect for their own Constitution, that is why each President essentially can undermine the Constitution without consequence, and so on.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by 2CatWoman: 1:49am On Jun 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

One of the major problems is that in Nigeria, the people have no respect for their own Constitution, that is why each President essentially can undermine the Constitution without consequence, and so on.

This is true but many people do not know that there is a constitution.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Kobojunkie: 1:57am On Jun 24, 2012
2CatWoman:

This is true but many people do not know that there is a constitution.

Yes, there are those who do not know but of those who do, how many of them respect it?

And I don't necessarily think it is the case that people do not know that their is a constitution. I do believe educated Nigerians, at least, are aware that since we have a democracy, we have a Constitution. However, I think it is more the case that many do not know what it says. And in this age of information, is unacceptable.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by 2CatWoman: 2:23am On Jun 24, 2012
Years ago in primary school we used to take Civics lessons, I doubt if there is still such a thing. I've downloaded the constitution but it is written in legal language so even the likes of me with english as my first language would struggle. I had an idea that someone with legal skills could translate the document into simple english and from there we could translate to individual native languages, even audio for those who are illiterate, remember they also have a vote.

1 Like

Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Murphy7h4: 2:26am On Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for sharing.[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Jun 24, 2012
2CatWoman: Years ago in primary school we used to take Civics lessons, I doubt if there is still such a thing. I've downloaded the constitution but it is written in legal language so even the likes of me with english as my first language would struggle. I had an idea that someone with legal skills could translate the document into simple english and from there we could translate to individual native languages, even audio for those who are illiterate, remember they also have a vote.

Not the Constitution that I have access to. Anyone can read this. I am only a software person yet I can read and understand clearly what it says in about 90% of the sections(I have not read it all really), no translations necessary.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Definitely further translating each section to layman's English, and then having it sent out to as many people is a great idea. Let know if you are serious about it.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by 2CatWoman: 2:43am On Jun 24, 2012
This version looks better. The version I downloaded was full of "section this" and "sub-section that". Anyway it is now 2.42am so I should get some sleep.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by antitpiah: 3:02am On Jun 24, 2012
^^^

Good call. you never argue with Kobo. She is always here; thanks to SSI, unemployment and yahoo 2.0.
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by Nebeuwa(m): 3:07am On Jun 24, 2012
My country, the United States is great because we import the greatest minds to add to our nation.

These immigrants include Albert Einstein, Alexander Graham Bell, Elon Musk, Charles Pfizer, James Gamble, and William Procter.

It also helps that many of these immigrants assimilate to Anglo-American traditions, while adding their own stories to the rich tapestry. .
Re: What Made America GREAT (this Should Be On The Front Page). by igbo2011(m): 7:33am On Sep 23, 2012
What made America GREAT.....Slavery, colonization, neocolonialism, funding wars worldwide to get cheap resources??

(1) (Reply)

Video Of The Car Explosion At Rumuokoro Port Harcourt / Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman / Nigeria Air Force To Inaugurate Helicopter Flying School In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.