Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon (22121 Views)

How Osinbajo Ruled Nigeria In The Absence Of Buhari / Ojukwu Would Have Joined APC - Okorocha / I’ll Ever Be Grateful To Supporters Of One Nigeria – Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nchara: 5:21pm On May 08, 2012
•Awo, others bag posthumous awards
•Ojukwu would have ruled Nigeria —Gowon
•Says Islamisation, plan of Boko Haram, not northern agenda

Written by Dare Adekanmbi Tuesday, 08 May 2012

POSTHUMOUS awards were, on Sunday, conferred on the tripod of Nigeria’s independence and First Republic leaders, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Sir Ahmadu Bello and Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Daughter of the sage, Dr Tokunbo Awolowo-Dosumu, received the honour on behalf of the Awolowo family.

Speaking on the occasion of the 2011 Man of the Year and Lifetime Achievement Awards organised by the Silverbird Group in Lagos, former military head of state, General Yakubu Gowon (retd), said Igbo leader and Biafran warlord, the late General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu would have succeeded in ruling the country if he had not been checkmated when he declared the Republic of Biafra and consequently sparked the civil war in 1967.

The former head of state, who came to power in the nation’s second military putsch on July 29, 1966 and ruled till July 29, 1975 when his regime was toppled in another coup that led to the installation of the late General Murtala Muhammed, spoke against the background of a documentary on the fratricidal war shown at the ceremony.

Reliving some of the events of the civil war fought between July 6, 1967 and January 12, 1970, Gowon described it as a needless war and one never to be wished for again, adding that the war would not have arisen if Odumegwu-Ojukwu had not dismembered the eastern part from the rest of the country.

“If there was no secession by the late General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, there would not have been war. We tried all we could not to go to war. At the Aburi meeting (held in Ghana in January to forestall the imminent war), all that was demanded by Ojukwu, including my position, were granted.

“But his secession bid led to the war. If Ojukwu had succeeded, he would have been Nigerian and not Biafran leader. Nigerians and indeed the children who suffered during the war should forgive us,” Gowon said.

On the call for the Islamisation of the country by members of the Boko Haram sect, Gowon said the clamour was not an agenda of the North.

He charged the sect to table its grievances with the Federal Government for a dialogue instead of the bloodletting and wanton destruction of life and property of innocent people.

He chided advocates of sovereign national conference as doing so on their own terms, adding that the country was already sovereign.

Gowon, however, called for a conference to discuss the myriad of issues plaguing the country.

In his acceptance speech on the occasion, the presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in last year’s election, Major-General Buhari (retd), fingered lack of sincere political leadership as the bane of the country’s stunted progress and development.

The Katsina-born general said he was too young to quit politics, if he must continue to lend his support for the nation.

Comparing the nation’s current political class with the First Republic leaders, Buhari noted that the latter category of leaders was far better in terms of commitment to national growth and development as well as selfless leadership.

“Sir Ahmadu Bello developed the North through the Northern Nigerian Development Company. What did the Sardauna leave? I read in a book that he left 47 pounds and a house in Morocco given to him by a prince there.

“But what do we have today. Look at the pension scam alone. People who have served this country for 30 to 35 years are dying and some people are hiding billions of naira in their houses. Leadership is Nigeria’s problem. I believe in democracy. I believe in multiparty system,” he said.

Also speaking on the occasion, General Danjuma decried the level of poverty in the country, saying that nothing had accrued to the low class citizens who are resident in the rural areas of the country since the years of the oil boom.

Danjuma added that all money raised by his foundation towards helping the underprivileged was pittance when compared to the enormity of deprivation in the country, charging all to cultivate the attitude of giving as “nobody is too poor to give.”

It was a parade of northern stars at the ceremony that saw Gowon, Generals (retd) Muhammadu Buhari, and T.Y. Danjuma receive the Silverbird Lifetime Achievement awards.

via
The Nation

http://www.gbooza.com/group/nigeriapolitics/forum/topics/ojukwu-would-have-ruled-nigeria?xg_source=activity#axzz1uIORiXrr
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nchara: 5:24pm On May 08, 2012
“If there was no secession by the late General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, there would not have been war. We tried all we could not to go to war. At the Aburi meeting (held in Ghana in January to forestall the imminent war), all that was demanded by Ojukwu, including my position, were granted.

I am hearing this (in bold) for the first time. Can anyone corroborate that claim?
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 08, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Dede1(m): 7:01pm On May 08, 2012
Gowon is bloody liar and the center point of what Nigeria has become lately. Nigeria/Biafra debacle was a needless war if Gowon has accepted Ojukwu’s stance on Esprit de Corp and adherence to the strict military parlance which demand Brig Ogundipe should become the commander in chief in the absence of head of the state.

Gowon also reneged on every principles agreed during the peace mission in Aburi, Ghana. Gowon initiated the division of Nigeria into twelve (12) states while Aburi agreement upheld Nigeria shall remain in a regional mode. It was after the usurpation of power and arbitral state creation by Gowon that Ojukwu declared eastern region an independent nation.

12 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by KnowAll(m): 7:21pm On May 08, 2012
@dede

U seem to get what Gowon is insunuating wrong. what Gowon is saying was if Ojukwu had succeded in getting to Lagos obviously after invading d then mid-west region, on getting to L agos Ojukwu would have been Head of state of Nigeria insted of Head of state of Biafra.

It would have been unimaginable and inconceivable for Ojukwu to give up lands he has conquered and retreat back to Onitsha.
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:34pm On May 08, 2012
KnowAll: @dede

U seem to get what Gowon is insunuating wrong. what Gowon is saying was if Ojukwu had succeded in getting to Lagos obviously after invading d then mid-west region, on getting to L agos Ojukwu would have been Head of state of Nigeria insted of Head of state of Biafra.

It would have been unimaginable and inconceivable for Ojukwu to give up lands he has conquered and retreat back to Onitsha.

My now that would have been an unpleasant,unpalatable tea-pot for the Federal Army won't it. grin
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Yeske2(m): 7:57pm On May 08, 2012
What the slowpoke is trying to say is that the demands of Aburi was HONOURED by both parties and Ojukwu still went ahead to secede or am i getting him wrong?
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Ojiofor: 8:05pm On May 08, 2012
Gowon=Onye Ara + Onye Asi = Osu Imi.Now u are begging for forgiveness and still lying at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by cenaboy(m): 8:24pm On May 08, 2012
Blooddy lair Gowon.d blood of over 3million den easthen region nd igbo in particular must deal with u.if u want to ask 4 forgivenex why din't u say diz when Dim Ojukwu were alive ONYE ASI

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by FrenchyL(m): 8:30pm On May 08, 2012
It is too late for that now Sir. Nothing can change now.
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Kockane(m): 8:41pm On May 08, 2012
I still don't understand wat this nigg*r is driving @ with all dez gibberish.
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by guonno: 8:41pm On May 08, 2012
Regret is eating him up. Gowon never gave in to the aburi agreement. The most important issue in that agreement was that each region would donate to the central, now even a new baby can tell if the aburi thing was honourd by the bastard gowon. If he honourd it, why where igbos killed in the north after the acord. Gowons middle belt people is reaping from what the core north decieved the fool(gowon) to sow. And i gues the whole nigeria is reaping too, because the some special people are born to rule policy is affecting evrybody today. U all say gej is bh sponsor, but u all heard the nothern elite say they re going to make the nation ungovernable.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by member479760: 8:43pm On May 08, 2012
“But his secession bid led to the war. If Ojukwu had succeeded, he would have been Nigerian and not Biafran leader. Nigerians and indeed the children who suffered during the war should forgive us,” Gowon said.

Samething my father told me!

and this is the reason Ojukwu deserves nothing than to rot in HELL.

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by nagoma(m): 8:47pm On May 08, 2012
So what ifeajuna , chukwuma Nzegwu and the other 4 Igbo murderers failed to achieve thru violence would have been achieved by Ojukwu , just because of a meeting - Haba Gowon!
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by WhoIGoAsk: 8:48pm On May 08, 2012
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 08, 2012
Gowon should now go and protect his plateau kinsmen from being wiped out by the invading fulani. The plateau crisis is only a tiny symptom of the ugly problems in the non-entity called Nigeria that he and his jewmen fought for.

Its no use endlesslly ranting about a 40+ year old civil war when his home state is perpetually on fire. Charity begins at home!
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 8:52pm On May 08, 2012
D gray-haired chameleon should hv let out dis puke while OJUKWU was alive. D WARRIOR has gone to rest wit his ANCESTORs, so d cowardly BOKO HARAM GENERALs can gather in lagos for dia BLAB chicken party. An IBO adage says" UKWU JIE AGU, MGBADA ABIA YA UGWO" translates to " WHEN D LION SUFFERs DISLOCATION, D COWARDLY ANTELOPE BECOMEs BRAVE ENOF TO VISIT HIM FOR DEBT RECOVERY". I dont blame GOWON for dis BLASPHEMY, but LORD LUGARD n his cohorts(wit GREED dat would hv made evn JUDAS green wit envy) dat sealed our fate wit dat of those blood-thirsty n Godless northern gagools or generals! Good news is: none of em has up to 10yrs left to deplete oxygen further on earth. BASTARDOS!!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Richardid: 9:05pm On May 08, 2012
What Gowon was saying is that they tried all means possible to avoid the war but OJUKWU reneged. The creation of 12 states were part of the effort to avoid it, but ojukwu went ahead to declare the Biafran republic Gowon had no option but to protect the unity of the country,which he did,what has he done wrong. I think his apology is an act of statemanship which oj ukwu had the opportunity to offer to nigerians,but in his characteristic manner,he refused. Kudos to Gowon. Apology accepted,lets keep moting.we will get there.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by oluoma1: 9:08pm On May 08, 2012
Gowon is a repented sepulchre? A Sabotuer. Onye mgbu!!
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by igboboy1(m): 9:08pm On May 08, 2012
[size=14pt]i laff in plateau . No wonder his homeland has been under siege for quite sometime by those islmaists...he can say what he wants, we all know in 3 years when this entity dissolves and plateau is absorbed by arewa jihadist republic, we go know whether na wetin im fight for back then...
i have no sympathy what so ever for the killings in jos...they should blame their son for forcing them into a marriage with islamic jihadists.

[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by dayokanu(m): 9:13pm On May 08, 2012
Thank you Gowon for checkmating Ojuku.

And Thank you for unleashing Adekunle on his pedophilic asss

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by guonno: 9:28pm On May 08, 2012
Regret is eating gowon up. Gowon never gave in to the aburi agreement. The most important issue in that agreement was that each region would donate to the central, now even a new baby can tell if the aburi thing was honourd by the bastard gowon. If he honourd it, why where igbos killed in the north after the acord. Gowons middle belt people is reaping from what the core north decieved the fool(gowon) to sow. And i gues the whole nigeria is reaping too, because the some special people are born to rule policy is affecting evrybody today. U all say gej is bh sponsor, but u all heard the nothern elite say they re going to make the nation ungovernable.Regret is eating him up. Gowon never gave in to the aburi agreement. The most important issue in that agreement was that each region would donate to the central, now even a new baby can tell if the aburi thing was honourd by the bastard gowon. If he honourd it, why where igbos killed in the north after the acord. Gowons middle belt people is reaping from what the core north decieved the fool(gowon) to sow. And i gues the whole nigeria is reaping too, because the some special people are born to rule policy is affecting evrybody today. U all say gej is bh sponsor, but u all heard the nothern elite say they re going to make the nation ungovernable.
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by kaelz(m): 9:31pm On May 08, 2012
Dede1: Gowon is bloody liar and the center point of what Nigeria has become lately. Nigeria/Biafra debacle was a needless war if Gowon has accepted Ojukwu’s stance on Esprit de Corp and adherence to the strict military parlance which demand Brig Ogundipe should become the commander in chief in the absence of head of the state.

Gowon also reneged on every principles agreed during the peace mission in Aburi, Ghana. Gowon initiated the division of Nigeria into twelve (12) states while Aburi agreement upheld Nigeria shall remain in a regional mode. It was after the usurpation of power and arbitral state creation by Gowon that Ojukwu declared eastern region an independent nation.
I sincerely agree with you!!
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by fio(m): 9:40pm On May 08, 2012
yeah! **UNITY**
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by igbsam(m): 9:43pm On May 08, 2012
Gowon should just shut the ph.u.ck up and take his sorry ass back to his boko haram state. bloody liar. Why didnt u say this when he was alive and breathing. Useless politicians. You think we would buy this ?

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 08, 2012
[Quote]
i laff in plateau . No wonder his homeland has been under siege for quite sometime by those islmaists...he can say what he wants, we all know in 3 years when this entity dissolves and plateau is absorbed by arewa jihadist republic, we go know whether na wetin im fight for back then...
i have no sympathy what so ever for the killings in jos...they should blame their son for forcing them into a marriage with islamic jihadists.

[/quote]

Gbam. The guy is still fixed in the 1960s while his house is collapsing. What imbecility!
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nonybb: 9:44pm On May 08, 2012
Hon. SuQ Ma'DIQ:
D gray-haired chameleon should hv let out dis puke while OJUKWU was alive. D WARRIOR has gone to rest wit his ANCESTORs, so d cowardly BOKO HARAM GENERALs can gather in lagos for dia BLAB chicken party. An IBO adage says" UKWU JIE AGU, MGBADA ABIA YA UGWO" translates to " WHEN D LION SUFFERs DISLOCATION, D COWARDLY ANTELOPE BECOMEs BRAVE ENOF TO VISIT HIM FOR DEBT RECOVERY". I dont blame GOWON for dis BLASPHEMY, but LORD LUGARD n his cohorts(wit GREED dat would hv made evn JUDAS green wit envy) dat sealed our fate wit dat of those blood-thirsty n Godless northern gagools or generals! Good news is: none of em has up to 10yrs left to deplete oxygen further on earth. BASTARDOS!!!!
let me resite this igbo song that was sang during the nigeria/biafra carnage and its goes in igbo like this.... "ewoo!(exclammation) M'una nwannem jere ogu, akpiri egoooo! Ifeajuna r'ele anyi, ewoo! muna nwannem jere ogu, mbonu abuta n'uzo ree nwanne ya! Gini ka ngenye unuu? Onye nweanyi nye anyi amamihe! nye anyi amamihe zuru okeee! k'anyi merie hausa ndi na amanyi ochichi, tigbuo ya, zogbuo ya ooo nnam!!!

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Nonybb: 9:45pm On May 08, 2012
Hon. SuQ Ma'DIQ:
let me resite this igbo song that was sang during the nigeria/biafra carnage and its goes in igbo like this.... "ewoo!(exclammation) M'una nwannem jere ogu, akpiri egoooo! Ifeajuna r'ele anyi, ewoo! muna nwannem jere ogu, mbonu abuta n'uzo ree nwanne ya! Gini ka ngenye unuu umu biafra? Onye nweanyi nye anyi amamihe! nye anyi amamihe zuru okeee! k'anyi merie hausa ndi na amanyi ochichi, tigbuo ya, zogbuo ya ooo nnam!!!
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Martini101(m): 9:46pm On May 08, 2012
Medicine after death. Next Thread, Please.
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by guonno: 9:50pm On May 08, 2012
Regret is eating gowon up, this is just the beginin, development is gradually coming into the south east they all thought will never rise again. Gowon never gave in to the aburi agreement. The most important issue in that agreement was that each region would donate to the central, now even a new baby can tell if the aburi thing was honourd by the bastard gowon. If he honourd it, why where igbos killed in the north after the acord. Gowons middle belt people is reaping from what the core north decieved the fool(gowon) to sow. And i gues the whole nigeria is reaping too, because the some special people are born to rule policy is affecting evrybody today. U all say gej is bh sponsor, but u all heard the nothern elite say they re going to make the nation ungovernable.Regret is eating him up. Gowon never gave in to the aburi agreement. The most important issue in that agreement was that each region would donate to the central, now even a new baby can tell if the aburi thing was honourd by the bastard gowon. If he honourd it, why where igbos killed in the north after the acord. Gowons middle belt people is reaping from what the core north decieved the fool(gowon) to sow. And i gues the whole nigeria is reaping too, because the some special people are born to rule policy is affecting evrybody today. U all say gej is bh sponsor, but u all heard the nothern elite say they re going to make the nation ungovernable.
Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by PointB: 9:50pm On May 08, 2012
Very funny comment coming from Gowon! What the old coward is saying is that he is very proud and happy with the mass murder in Jos and greater North. He is pleased with the wanton corruption and all the shenigans going on in Nigeria. In his opinion, these are the added benefit of preventing Biafran secession or stopping Ojukwu ruling Nigeria. This in his opinion is the Aburi Accord he implement. WONDERFUL!

Anyway, it is common knowlegde that when a man growns to certain age, he becomes a child. Fortunately for us a six year old knows better than this man whose senility is alarming to say the least. The good people of Jos should call him to order, his type sold the soul of his people!

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon by Classicalman(m): 9:56pm On May 08, 2012
Gowon is a lying bitch. And he knows it. As for that fool calling my Ikemba a pedophile, i hope u know your mohammed was d world greatest sexmaniac and pedophile. Bloody fucking muslims.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

After PDP Rally In Jigawa Indigenes "Disinfect" Dutse (photos) / Checkout The Drone View Of N10bn Mobutu Palatial Mansion Of Adams Oshiomhole(pix / Sowore Won’t Be Released Until Due Process Is Followed – DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.