Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,895 members, 7,806,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk (17151 Views)

Macedonian Government Scholarships For Foreign Students. / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by PrincessMo(f): 10:52pm On Apr 30, 2008
Sir why don't u write more?
I'm findin this VERY interestin and
educating to read.  smiley
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 11:33am On May 01, 2008
@Londoncool and Imani

Can you carry on please
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by darkroll(m): 8:46pm On May 02, 2008
Akolawole i have been following your post for some time now and i found them very helpfull , i printed out all the post and am faxing it to my brother in Nigeria who is he coming to UK for his Masters .

@ funkybaby
Your comments also are very helpfull , keep it up

I created a new thread on the travel section , Tour operator partnership , i wil appreciate your comment on that thread
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 8:02pm On May 03, 2008
@Dakroll

Many thanks

@Imani

We need your input here.

Cheers
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by pahtahkee: 11:20pm On May 03, 2008
In addition, avoid these Contract agreements over luxuries. If you still have bills to settle, not the best of ideas to go running for contract offers on un-necessary vanities.

Where is Imani as well? undecided
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Imani(f): 9:36am On May 05, 2008
@all,

I don't have much input from the "abroad" side of things.

My knowledge only applies more to those already in the UK.

Akolawole:

11) 3 YEARS RULE/ HOME STUDENT FEES

[b]If one is on student visa in UK, THERE WILL BE NO CONCESSION whatsover on this for them even if they spend 20 years in UK a student [/b] cry

This is not strictly true. A person with a valid student visa after 10 years can make an application for indefinite leave. The only problem is the the Home Office will want to know how the person intends to stay away from public funds, and there are strict rules regarding the 10 year concession rule.

If an individual comes into the UK, does A level, Bachelors, Masters and Maybe a PHD and has evidence, and is able to maintain themselves, without any criminal records, they will be fine. They do have to satisfy the 18 months rule, in which they shouldn't have been out of the UK for more than 18 months during the 10 years, or have broken the "immigration timeline" that is always renewed their visa before it expired.

The best scenario is probably to get on with all the education, and by the time they applicant finishes, get on the Post study work catergory under Tier 1 and then apply under the 10 year rule if eligible. That removes the need for getting on the Tier systems. Remember it is "outside" the rules, therefore the process is scrutinized more.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 10:40am On May 05, 2008
@Imani

I think you got me wrong

Did you know that NOT ALL STUDENTS, WHO HAVE BEEN IN UK FOR THAT LONG EVEN APPLY FOR ILR? cry

I knew one guy who is NOT a Southerner but have been in UK for 12 years on student visa. Imagine from secondary school. I was the one that enlighten him on ILR, he even said, he has to get approval from Alhaji in Nigeria. grin

# I was just using the 20 years to stress my point. I knew many that has been in hotsoup because of misinterpretation of 3 years rule.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by LondonCool(m): 2:44am On May 07, 2008
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by LondonCool(m): 2:57am On May 07, 2008
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by pahtahkee: 3:24am On May 07, 2008
@ LondonCool,

Pity that am tired at the moment, to thrash this matter out right now. But international students with offer for credit card in the UK? I doubt it.

International students with the offer for Student Loans in the UK? I doubt that as well.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 11:42am On May 07, 2008
pahtahkee:

@ LondonCool,

Pity that am tired at the moment, to thrash this matter out right now. But international students with offer for credit card in the UK? I doubt it.

International students with the offer for Student Loans in the UK? I doubt that as well.

Londoncool is 100% right.

UK financial institution with the exception of Alliance & Leicester and probably HSBC cry dont give a damn about your status.

What they require is there is a regular coming coming into your account and you are in full-time work. They want to gain from you.

Go and ask barclays Bank and their Nigerians connection. grin
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 11:49am On May 07, 2008
LondonCool:

1) In order for foreign students to be able to pay the low “home rate” fees they need to fulfil the requirements of the legislation,which I summarise as follows:

1.They must have been settled in UK on the relevant date (of admission)
2.They must have been “ordinarily settled “ in UK for 3 years before the relevant date
3.That the purpose of staying in UK must not have been for full-time education.

I have reproduced the relevant section of the legislation

Persons who are settled in the United Kingdom

2) If a person on a Student dependent visa stays in UK with their spouse for 3 years, the person could qualify to pay the Home student fee rate

3) Could u kindly adjust the reference to my occupation in the 2nd page.Thx

1) Dont start to be like bookish VOR

Not everyone understand "settled", it means Permanent Residency, NOt subjected to immiration rules

2) By looking at the english meaning of that Rule, yes you are right But London Universities don t accept them. The one in Elephant and castle was so confused that they reffered me to UKCOSA.

3) Done that, Sorry my Brother.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 12:31pm On May 07, 2008
@Akolawole
I do not agree with you on this.

Forget about what those banks state in their brochures, websites, fancy adverts, etc. Once you are an International Student, they come up with an excuse to reject applications for
credit cards but most especially student loans.

Yes, they are interested in making money off International Students and are impressed when there are regular inflow of money into the account. This is the reason why they give International Students generous OVER DRAFTS and milk students dry when they default. However, when it comes to credit cards and especially student loans-stories and excuses start coming in.

Unless there is a 'Naija' grin method of getting such from these banks. If yes, abeg make we see in camera grin
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 1:11pm On May 07, 2008
@Funky

Dont push me to say a lot about UK.

1) Do you know you can be living permanently in Abakaliki yet have your name in Voters register in UK.

International student ko! International student ni!!

I can tell you a bank in London where you go and open an account with just passport with Visitors visa and with no prove of address.

Let me stop here jare.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by nkc(m): 1:18pm On May 07, 2008
@ako,

i have been pushing u since, u too heavy grin grin grin
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 1:38pm On May 07, 2008
@akolawole
Push you ke? shocked shocked 'Lepacious orobo' like me wink ? I no get strength oh grin

I'm fully aware of all those stunts.

Since they've refused to allow 'visa-less' entry to UK as per members of the Commonwealth. If people put their names on their v-register - no big deal.

Them dey ask for visa? That your bank in London na long thing. I know of a bank in UK that from the comfort of your home, send them a photocopy (oh yes, photocopy) of your data page and you be allowed to open an account.

Akolawole, seriously now, student loans through the legit means for international students- i still insist that it is extremely difficult. Only if there's something i'm missing. Anyway, we'll talk later in camera wink
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by pahtahkee: 1:45pm On May 07, 2008
@ Funkybaby,
There is nothing you are missing at all. If there was a method I should have known about it. Even Home Student sef dey hear, see and do ''wen'' to get a loan.

Na International student go come dey bag loan like that? HSBC, FirstPlus and them rest. . . . you should go and check. . . . . . As for the credit card thing, na international student wey no dey hin right senses go think of such a gbese at this point in time.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 1:49pm On May 07, 2008
funkybaby:

1) Them dey ask for visa? That your bank in London na long thing. I know of a bank in UK that from the comfort of your home, send them a photocopy (oh yes, photocopy) of your data page and you be allowed to open an account.

2) Akolawole, seriously now, student loans through the legit means for international students- i still insist that it is extremely difficult. Only if there's something i'm missing. Anyway, we'll talk later in camera wink

1) Abi!, at times i laugh when guys they claim so many legal things about UK. Loopholes is there to be well broken

2) Who even know you are a international student?  I beg leave tori for tortoise jare (apology Loyiks).

% years ago, i knew a Ghanian guy(a student) that get a full time job with metropolitan police with just a CRB and Driving license. Just like that.

They are not as intelligent as we think.

Back to my topic jare.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 1:54pm On May 07, 2008
@Funky and pataki

Dont be too bookish

You don't need to tell them you are an International student. You don't even ask for student loan, Loan is loan. Money for account. Simple arithmetic!

Once you are in it, you are in it, you automatically become "Shon of the soil" as we call it in Ibadan.

Foreign Benson and edges somehow illegal in Uk, go to Holloway road every saturday morning, those Eastern people sell it on the road.

I think i have to ask Siena to delete all this jare.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 1:57pm On May 07, 2008
@pataki
Are the major banks even willing to give these cards to international students that are too eager to 'chook' their heads into the gbese? Answer is no.

Store cards, yeah, them dey take am beg person but from the banks-nah.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 2:02pm On May 07, 2008
LondonCool:

There is nothing wrong or illegal in students obtaining credit cards. Most of them are given by banks at the onset when they open their student accounts. If students can borrow loans from banks to pay for their studies and to sustain their lifestyles on campus (i.e Student loans)

whats the difference if he chooses to do it with a credit card ? So far as the student can get a job and work within the acceptable hours it is assumed he should be able to pay back his credit card balances.

Pre-payment credit cards are not borrowed funds. Credit cards are not viewed as public funds. The student would need to show a financial statement from his sponsor,if its a UK sponsor most likely there will be a debit entry of a repayment to a credit card on the bank statement-so its not really an issue. The real issue is if the sponsor has enough funds /cashflow in the account to support the applicants academic endeavours.

I will not agree with you.

1) A friend went to Croydon to renew his student visa and the moment the woman see a Barclaycard transaction, the immigration woman went mad. Yes its not a public fund and it is not illegal.

Why is it "somehow"illegal for intending Student visa applicants to say/claim that they are not going to work in UK? I am 100% sure if you say you gonna work, it will be straight Refusal even though working 20 hours is allowed.

## Prepayment card just start 2 years ago.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 2:06pm On May 07, 2008
@akolawole
Lol. I am not being bookish.

Yeah,loan is loan but does people will ask you to present all necessary documents and you cannot avoid not disclosing your status.

Maybe in the 80s, such stunts on student loans were easier but right now, its tough.

You can modify your posts wink
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 2:15pm On May 07, 2008
@akolawole
Even those pre-payment cards, if one is not smart in choosing the right ones can result in gbese. One has to read all the small fine prints very well in their application packages/contracts.

A friend got tangled in one recently. Even after all the fees they charge on various transactions with the card- loading, withdrawals, purchases,etc, some greedy companies also remove monthly deductions.

The best thing as much as possible is for one to stay clear from them.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by pahtahkee: 2:22pm On May 07, 2008
@ Akolawole,

Loan is loan. Should we begin to state the basic requirements needed to obtain a loan and the intricasies involved with it? grin

Abeg leave story for tortoise. . . . na hin get tory tey tey. grin

@ funkybaby,
Akolawole is just being too bookish and old jare. grin Even store cards sef, na gbese.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 2:30pm On May 07, 2008
@pataki
Lol. I am eagerly waiting for VOR to state his own bookish perspective on this issue.

BTW, i am uninstalling YIM on my system once am home. I am a total wreck today grin I am really embarrassed with the way i have been yawning all day.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by pahtahkee: 2:41pm On May 07, 2008
And na me cause am? tongue Try it and you will see what will happen. angry grin

My house agent came around today with some men to repaint the house, so I am stuck at home, monitoring what they are doing and clearing things out of the way for the painting.

Do not worry, VOR will come and quote the immigration rules for us. I think he will be on our side. He will always find the appropiate immigration rule in respect to this topic.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 3:04pm On May 07, 2008
Gbese will always be gbese.

UK is not Germany where you carry your passport all around.

With your bank card and provisional driving license, you are ok EVERYWHERE.

Lets carry our wahala to Funke's thread jare.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 3:12pm On May 07, 2008
12) The Unlucky College Girl.
   Lady Seun left Stockwell(zone 2) for Canning town. she was caught at bank station for non possession of Zone 1 ticket. Was asked to pay £20 fine but she has nothing on her. From Transport police to Metroploitan police then immigration.

I was very suprised of the matter.

After 2 months, UK immigration cancel her visa based on maintenance. To them, if she was properly maintained, she would have the extension fees of £2. Appel had been filed. The case goes on,
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by funkybaby(f): 3:24pm On May 07, 2008
Ha! shocked shocked

Funny, a friend and i were still arguing on this issue recently of not having a valid ticket and getting caught. I was telling him that it could land a person in jail-he thinks 'they are not that wicked'.

Na wa oh. The lady is really unlucky.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by peot(m): 3:43pm On May 07, 2008
Please my people help.
I just want to ask if anybody know any number that you can call in Nigeria to know if your passport is ready for collection for UK student Visa. I was given one but did not work.

Thank You.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by LondonCool(m): 5:13pm On May 07, 2008
avoided.
Re: Common Mistakes Foreign Students Make In Uk by Akolawole(m): 5:43pm On May 07, 2008
@LC

If not because my Big Bro dey handle the case i wouldnt believe that.

I knew its illegal but to be calling immigration is going above board.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictured: Roofless Main Terminal Of Yola Airport In Nigeria / Federal Government Approves Guns For Airport Security Officers / Trailer Rams Into Shops In Auchi, Five Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.