Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% (9048 Views)

Cash Going To States From FAAC Rises by 32% On Fear Of Buhari / MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops / 50 Debtors Owe 32% Of Bank Loans – Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by WhoIGoAsk: 10:35pm On May 10, 2012
too much money
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by abey2(m): 12:31am On May 11, 2012
redsun:

They are not talking about nigerians living in the uk,but about rogue nigerians like dem obj,atiku,anenih,bankole and their cohorts that visits from nigeria with loads of stolen wads. Monies they didnt sweat for,blood money that are very easy to spend wastefully.
....you must be a slowpoke!who told you this names are the only corrupt people in the country?this country will only change when we all individually change.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Onlytruth(m): 12:46am On May 11, 2012
The so called report is an indirect media attack insult on America.
How can anyone want to compare shoppers from a country with a GDP of $45,000, with shoppers from another whose GDP is merely $2,500?
There is no basis whatsoever for comparison in terms of spending power.
The writer needs to visit Los Angeles on a typical Saturday to see the same Nigerians outshopping everybody there as well.
As an American, I personally would NEVER go to shop in the UK (where prices are ludicrous, and I still have to buy a ticket to go there undecided) because EVERYTHING I need is here in the US. cool

The more pertinent question should be why Nigeria is not collecting data on foreign shoppers in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by linearity: 2:33am On May 11, 2012
shymmex: Basically, things are cheaper in US than the UK - and it's obvious Americans would rather shop in their country, than spend twice the amount on the same products in the UK..

That's common logic, much ado about nothing. undecided

...and are things not cheaper in Nigeria than in UK? Wouldn't Nigerians by the same token prefer to shop in Nigeria than in UK?
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by dasparrow: 4:18am On May 11, 2012
linearity:

...and are things not cheaper in Nigeria than in UK? Wouldn't Nigerians by the same token prefer to shop in Nigeria than in UK?

Things are terribly and unnecessarily pricey in Nigeria. I have compared the price of groceries like meat, fish etc and goods like electronics between USA and Nigeria and Nigeria's goods are way more expensive. It seems that, because so many goods are imported into Nigeria, the prices are so high. I don't know how people can afford living in a country like Nigeria where the cost of living is so high yet the standard of living is so low. Everything in Nigeria is inflated including real estate and frankly speaking it makes no sense but it is what it is. Here in america, there is always a sale going on and things are affordable for the most part depending on where in america one lives.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by londoner: 5:05am On May 11, 2012
Yes, but surely we should know the number of American tourists compared with that of Nigerian tourists to the UK, to deduce what these figures mean and do not mean.

I wonder whether they chose American tourists because, if using another nationality to compare (like Indians or Chinese tourists) would not have given them the same result and the opportunity of follow on criticisms of Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Kobojunkie: 5:16am On May 11, 2012
dasparrow:

Things are terribly and unnecessarily pricey in Nigeria. I have compared the price of groceries like meat, fish etc and goods like electronics between USA and Nigeria and Nigeria's goods are way more expensive. It seems that, because so many goods are imported into Nigeria, the prices are so high. I don't know how people can afford living in a country like Nigeria where the cost of living is so high yet the standard of living is so low. Everything in Nigeria is inflated including real estate and frankly speaking it makes no sense but it is what it is. Here in america, there is always a sale going on and things are affordable for the most part depending on where in america one lives CHOOSES TO LIVE.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 6:38am On May 11, 2012
abey2: ....you must be a slowpoke!who told you this names are the only corrupt people in the country?this country will only change when we all individually change.

U are fcking maga! Ewu! Do u understand what an instance means? Eg? The mentioned names are the kingpins of corruption in a sysmatically corrupt society like nigeria. A country where parents teach their children to be corrupt because it is a norm.

In early 2000 atiku,s mistress spent close to ten thousand dollars in a georgetown,washington nordstrom outlet buying just clothes with her housemaid. I had an insider working there then that told me. I didnt even know about rogue atiku then because i wasnt keen on nigeria miseries then.

Nigerians and blacks in general are always in awe of oyinbo made finished goods because they think they cant make them. It fascinates them like jesus do,therefore,they can do anything to have them,even if it means stealing from the mouth of dying babies like dem obj.tinubu an
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by bakila: 6:49am On May 11, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I am Nigerian/African-American.

One day we go qoute as America we be last for your origin come appear Nigeria no dey there. Shakara omomonti
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by PapaBrowne(m): 8:32am On May 11, 2012
Many Nigerians have a pathetically negative mentality!!

Nigeria is the 3rd fastest growing economy in the world!! No, no, no! How can that be? GEJ is too clueless.

Nigerians out-shop Americans in the UK by 32%. No, no no, how can that be! We are too poor to shop.

Nigerians are the 3rd biggest spenders in the UK. Never, never. Not with all the poverty going on in that country.

Malls are springing up in Nigeria. Its a lie. Is it only the thieving politicians that would shop there??

Nigeria projected to be the fastest growing construction market. How can?? With all the slums I see everywhere?

Nigerians are the happiest people. The report is fake. Nigerians are poor. No no, never never.Bla, Bla, Bla!!

Haba people!! Why all the negativity. The world is saying Nigerians are getting more bouyant by the day and by any calculation, its a huge fact. Use any economic indices to measure and you'll find that we have a burgeoning middle class with increasing disposable income. To put things in perspective, even if its only 10% of Nigerians that could be termed affluent, that would amount to 17 Million people- A huge population by any measure. If that were country in Europe we would be the 8th Largest country out of 47. Almost the same size as Sweden, Norway and Denmark combined.

What we should be discussing is how to take advantage of the massive opportunities these facts present. How can I as an entrepreneur improve the Nigerian retail environment? How can I take position in the travel industry, since lots of fellows are travelling? How can I offer improved services in Cargo delivery? What products and services can I create to dispose the affluent folks of their increasing disposable income. When we start asking these questions and in turn create solutions we would by so doing grow our economy and create new jobs. The responsibility belongs to all of us, not just the Government.

One big secret: Investment in improved retail services is the biggest opportunity existing in Nigeria today. Anybody that would take advantage is in for some serious money!!
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Princek12(m): 8:42am On May 11, 2012
Some people just don't think. If you have ever been to America, you will know that there is no reason to shop in the U.K., as most things in America are cheaper than the U.K. In addition, most things in America (and even in the U.K.) are either owned by American companies (Apple products, laptops, Dell, HP, Ipad, etc) and therefore there is no reason to buy such things in the U.K. Most Americans go to U.K. just for vacation and to sight see.

Moreover, U.K.'s voltage is 220 while America's 110, so you already know that Americans won't buy most electronics in the U.K. Clothes in America are extremely cheaper than the U.K. And as a Nigerian who lives in America, I feel sorry for Brits who have to pay expensive prices for everything. Nigerians who usually frequent U.K. to shop usually the ones who have ties to the U.K., cannot get an American visa, or a combination thereof. Any person who wants a bargain knows that it is cheaper to shop for, for example, clothes and electronics and cars in America. Most of the imported Tokunbo cars to Nigeria (and even brand new ones) are imported from America.

In sum, Americans have an economy in which they can buy almost anything they want for a bargain, both online and in-store and have no reason to buy anything in the U.K. Americans also know that products in the U.K. are quadruple the price in America. Nigerians cannot buy anything imported in Nigeria for a bargain, and it is still cheaper for them to buy it in the U.K. But any Nigerian who has shopped in America knows that it is way cheaper to buy things in America than the U.K., especially clothes and mobile electronics, most of which are made by American companies anyway. So for an American to leave the shores of America to shop in the U.K, hell nah! I am a Nigerian living in America, and I will never buy anything in the U.K. Why will I leave the beach to go and buy sand from somewhere else? Stupid, ain't it? Come to America and see how department stores have sales on products where the prices are sometimes 80% off the tagged price. Go online and see how you can get bargains like crazy. There is a sale everywhere. I feel sorry for Nigerians who have never had an opportunity to shop in Yankee and tasted Yankee life because they are stuck in Nigeria or the U.K. You won't fully grasp all what I've just said.

Even food is expensive in the U.K. Go to McDonalds and they want to charge you for ketchup and napkins. How much does the average Nigerian make self? A good percentage of Nigerians don't make a lot of money; it is just the thieving few who have embezzled the entire country's money, the very few who are fortunate to have good-paying jobs, or mistresses of thieves and politicians,among others, who can go to the U.K. to shop big.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by PapaBrowne(m): 8:54am On May 11, 2012
Princek12: Some people just don't think. If you have ever been to America, you will know that there is no reason to shop in the U.K., as most things in America are cheaper than the U.K. In addition, most things in America (and even in the U.K.) are either owned by American companies (Apple products, laptops, Dell, HP, Ipad, etc) and therefore there is no reason to buy such things in the U.K. Most Americans go to U.K. just for vacation and to sight see.

Moreover, U.K.'s voltage is 220 while America's 110, so you already know that Americans won't buy most electronics in the U.K. Clothes in America are extremely cheaper than the U.K. And as a Nigerian who lives in America, I feel sorry for Brits who have to pay expensive prices for everything. Nigerians who usually frequent U.K. to shop usually the ones who have ties to the U.K., cannot get an American visa, or a combination thereof. [/b]Any person who wants a bargain knows that it is cheaper to shop for, for example, clothes and electronics and cars in America. Most of the imported Tokunbo cars to Nigeria (and even brand new ones) are imported from America.

In sum, [b]Americans have an economy in which they can buy almost anything they want for a bargain, both online and in-store and have no reason to buy anything in the U.K.
Americans also know that products in the U.K. are quadruple the price in America. Nigerians cannot buy anything imported in Nigeria for a bargain, and it is still cheaper for them to buy it in the U.K. But any Nigerian who has shopped in America knows that it is way cheaper to buy things in America than the U.K., especially clothes and mobile electronics, most of which are made by American companies anyway. So for an American to leave the shores of America to shop in the U.K, hell nah! I am a Nigerian living in America, and I will never buy anything in the U.K. Even food is expensive in the U.K. Go to McDonalds and they want to charge you for ketchup and napkins.

Pathetic conclusion. If that were the case, how come they are 6th on the list of countries?? Since they can purchase whatever they want in America, then they should be amongst the least spenders in UK. But no, they still get to spend, but just not as much as Nigerians do. And you know why, because Americans are a sucker for cheapos and ridiculous discounts!! The earlier you get it in that Americans are not superhuman, the better for you!! I've lived in America and I see no reason why you would go all out to defend America in this case as if the facts or wrong. Nigerians outspent Americans, period!!
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Princek12(m): 8:59am On May 11, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Pathetic conclusion. If that were the case, how come they are 6th on the list of countries?? Since they can purchase whatever they want in America, then they should be amongst the least spenders in UK. But no, they still get to spend, but just not as much as Nigerians do. And you know why, because Americans are a sucker for cheapos and ridiculous discounts!! The earlier you get it in that Americans are not superhuman, the better for you!! I've lived in America and I see no reason why you would go all out to defend America in this case as if the facts or wrong. Nigerians outspent Americans, period!!

Can you read? I have gave you a reason why Americans do not shop in the U.K. I also gave you a reason why Nigerians outshop Americans in the U.K. The article is not talking about spending; it is talking about shopping. Everything is cheap in America. It will be insane to leave America to go and shop in the U.K. Why will I leave America to buy Dell, Ipad, HP, Iphone, etc when they are cheap in America. Even mobile phones are free or heavily discounted in America when you sign a contract with your mobile phone company.

You obviously have never been to America, so you won't get it. You have never lived in America.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 9:07am On May 11, 2012
America is going down the drain today because they are not producing anymore. Their factories are grounded,same is britain. They rely on chinaand india for virtually all the essential and luxury goods,including human resources. Even when they manage to produce,their prices cannot compete with cheap chinese and india prices that are determined by market forces of cheap resources they commandeer from sleeping africa,cheap labour and enormous availability of cheap demands.

It is literally the fall of empires and the rise of new ones. While africans remain asleep as always,wasting the masses stolen monies buying high priced goods when they can get it cheaper else where or better still make it themselves.
Most of those things they buy in the west are all made in far east asia at very cheap cost but sold at exorbitant prices for thieves like bankole to buy.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by AjanleKoko: 9:14am On May 11, 2012
The story is a bit of a daft one.
First off, Americans wouldn't shop much in the UK, would they? I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.

Secondly, some people on here seem to have forgotten that we don't have much locally by way of formal retail. There are many finished-good products that nobody is importing into Nigeria. That plus the cultural ties to the UK that Nigerians have. Of course, there will be a one-way flow of wholesale and retail goods to Nigeria from the UK. It's pretty normal. Add that to the fact that we are 160 million people . . . abi we are not supposed to buy anything just because we are Nigerian?

Everybody calm yourselves jare.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by PapaBrowne(m): 9:29am On May 11, 2012
Princek12:

Can you read? I have gave you a reason why Americans do not shop in the U.K. I also gave you a reason why Nigerians outshop Americans in the U.K. The article is not talking about spending; it is talking about shopping. Everything is cheap in America. It will be insane to leave America to go and shop in the U.K. Why will I leave America to buy Dell, Ipad, HP, Iphone, etc when they are cheap in America. Even mobile phones are free or heavily discounted in America when you sign a contract with your mobile phone company.

You obviously have never been to America, so you won't get it. You have never lived in America.

Your thinking is funny. I'm appalled at your worship towards a country you contributed nothing towards its development and you act like its yours. FYI, I schooled in the US and I'm frequent there.
You gave me a reason why Americans do not shop in the UK, but the report says Americans are number 6 on the list with Nigerians at number 4. That says Americans shop in the UK, just not as much as Nigerians. Also, China is number 1 on the list. Everything in America is made in China and much cheaper too, so why are the Chinese still outspending the Americans. Middle Easterners have some of the craziest malls in the world with all the goods you can get in the UK, yet they are number 3 on the list.
Any reasonable person would see that the list is representative of excessive disposable income amongst the nouveaux riche countries. The order makes it even more obvious. China, Russia, Middle East, Nigeria. Look up the world's fastest growing economies and you'll educate yourself a bit.
Its more about character. If you are newly exposed to wealth, you tend to have a more flippant hand. Its that simple.
And by the way, the electronics you mentioned are as cheap in Nigeria as they are in the UK or at worse just a minuscule difference.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by PapaBrowne(m): 9:40am On May 11, 2012
LOOKS LIKE MANY DIDN'T READ THE FULL REPORT.

[size=16pt]Britain's Surprise Shopaholics: Nigerians[/size]

Nigerian businessman Godwin Patrick took a three-week holiday to the U.K. this month to visit cousins. It wasn’t the only reason. “I’m here to shop,” the 38-year-old says as he strolls down London’s Oxford Street, clutching bags from Marks & Spencer (MKS) and Associated British Foods’ (ABF) Primark containing trousers for himself and dresses for his family in Lagos.

London retailers are big fans of Nigerian shoppers such as Patrick. [b]The African country was the fourth-biggest contributor to overseas tax-free shopping in the U.K. last year, behind only China, Russia, and the Middle East, [/b]according to Global Blue U.K., a company that helps foreign shoppers claim a refund of Britain’s 20 percent value-added tax. (Foreigners get the break on most purchases if they take them outside the European Union.) A growing Nigerian population in the U.K. and more frequent direct flights between the countries has led to an influx of visitors who have more to spend because of the former British colony’s booming oil-driven economy.

“Nigerian travelers are very particular to the U.K.; you’d never see them as a top 10 nationality in other markets,” says Global Blue Vice President Richard Brown. As a group, Nigerians spend more than Americans do, he says. (Visitors from the U.S. are the sixth-largest shopping contingent.) Foreigners account for a third of spending in London’s high-end shopping district of Bond Street, Oxford Street, and Regent Street and will spend more than £2 billion ($3.2 billion) this year, according to the New West End, an organization of 600 retailers in the area. [b]Spending by Nigerians in British shops rose 32 percent last year, [/b]according to Global Blue.

Russian and Middle Eastern tourists mostly seek luxury goods in Britain, like those sold at tony merchants such as Harrods or Burberry (BRBY). Nigerian visitors also spend heavily at mass-market chains such as Marks & Spencer and Debenhams (DEB) that have more selection, higher-quality products, and better prices than stores back home. “In Nigeria, there is very little formal retail,” says Siemon Scamell-Katz, global consulting director at researcher TNS. “So in terms of retail, Primark and Marks & Spencer is quite something if you haven’t come across much retail before.” Patrick agrees. “We don’t have the same standard of retailing,” he says.

Nigerian visitors spend an average of about £450 per individual transaction, compared with more than £1,000 by Middle Eastern customers, Global Blue says. At a Debenhams store on London’s Oxford Street, Nigerians provide the biggest source of overseas spending as they seek out perfume and moisturizer gift sets, British-themed products such as a Union Jack-printed teapot for £20, clothing, and shoes, according to company spokeswoman Ruth Attridge. One sign of how important the African shoppers have become: Multilingual signs advertising discounts at Debenhams are printed not only in Chinese and Arabic but also Hausa, a language spoken in Nigeria.

The popularity of Britain as a shopping destination for Nigerians partly reflects the growth in the number of people from the country living in the U.K. About two-thirds of shoppers are on holiday or visiting family and friends, while a third are traveling for business, according to Global Blue. The U.K. Office for National Statistics estimates that 174,000 Nigerians lived in the U.K. from July 2010 to June 2011, the ninth-largest nationality. That’s an increase of 34,000 compared with three years earlier.

Daily flights from the capital, Lagos, to London on British Airways and starting on May 16 on Air Nigeria are also fueling shopper journeys. The carriers know their customers: BA allows Nigeria-bound passengers to check an additional 23-kilogram suitcase gratis unlike the majority of its flights, leaving plenty of extra space for all those purchases.

[b]The bottom line: Thanks to their nation’s oil wealth, Nigerians are the fourth-largest group of foreign shoppers in Britain. Each spends $725 on average.[/b]

Shannon is a reporter for Bloomberg News in London.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-05-10/britains-surprise-shopaholics-nigerians

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by PapaBrowne(m): 9:46am On May 11, 2012
AjanleKoko: The story is a bit of a daft one.
First off, Americans wouldn't shop much in the UK, would they? I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.

Secondly, some people on here seem to have forgotten that we don't have much locally by way of formal retail. There are many finished-good products that nobody is importing into Nigeria. That plus the cultural ties to the UK that Nigerians have. Of course, there will be a one-way flow of wholesale and retail goods to Nigeria from the UK. It's pretty normal. Add that to the fact that we are 160 million people . . . abi we are not supposed to buy anything just because we are Nigerian?

Everybody calm yourselves jare.

Totally disagree! The reports says Americans were number 6 on the list of shoppers. That means Americans shop a lot in the UK.
About not having much in form of retail, how about the Chinese and the Middle Easterners? They have some of the craziest retail centres in the world.

I think this reports shows one thing- Increasing disposable income! Period.
It isn't by coincidence that the countries with the fastest growing economies and excessive oil wealth happen to be the top spenders in the UK.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Princek12(m): 9:50am On May 11, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Your thinking is funny. I'm appalled at your worship towards a country you contributed nothing towards its development and you act like its yours. FYI, I schooled in the US and I'm frequent there.
You gave me a reason why Americans do not shop in the UK, but the report says Americans are number 6 on the list with Nigerians at number 4. That says Americans shop in the UK, just not as much as Nigerians. Also, China is number 1 on the list. Everything in America is made in China and much cheaper too, so why are the Chinese still outspending the Americans. Middle Easterners have some of the craziest malls in the world with all the goods you can get in the UK, yet they are number 3 on the list.
Any reasonable person would see that the list is representative of excessive disposable income amongst the nouveaux riche countries. The order makes it even more obvious. China, Russia, Middle East, Nigeria. Look up the world's fastest growing economies and you'll educate yourself a bit.
Its more about character. If you are newly exposed to wealth, you tend to have a more flippant hand. Its that simple.
And by the way, the electronics you mentioned are as cheap in Nigeria as they are in the UK or at worse just a minuscule difference.

By the way, the Bloomberg article specifically talked about fashion shopping. See Article http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-07/nigerians-outstrip-americans-in-london-fashion-spending.html

Clothes and fashion accessories are dead cheap in America, and any sane American resident would not leave New York to go and shop in London. You obviously don't understand economics and business. I am sure you flunked out of school. Prices of clothes in America can go as low as 90% off. So why will I leave America to go to U.K. and pay top dollar? Go back to school, my brother. Nigerians do not have the variety in Nigeria as they do in the U.K. Americans have one million times the variety in America. Go and hate all you want. The truth is the truth.

How do you know I contributed nothing to the development of America? I am not worshiping any country but stating facts. You did not school in the U.S. In which city did you school? When I said Americans do not shop in the U.K., I did not mean it literally, but only that they have no reason to shop as much overseas for obvious reasons.

And everything in America is not made in China; the only things in America made in China are usually consumer goods. And for your info, most of those products you claim are made in China are just assembled in China but are still owned by American companies. And many of those products are still not cheap in China (at least the original ones). The ones that are cheap in China are the fake ones. Try buying an authentic Ipad or Iphone in China and tell me whether it is cheap. The products you claim are made in China are made in Chinese factories owned by American companies and are paying the factory workers in China slave wages. The citizens do not really benefit except the government and factory supervisors, most of whom have been bribed by CEOs of American corporations.

That still does not foreclose on the fact that these products are still cheaper in America than the U.K, and Americans still have no incentive to shop in the U.K. You are just a hater; that's all.

Lastly, the mentality of the average American traveler is different. They usually travel not to shop for clothes and fashion accessories but to learn about other cultures and to go on vacation. They typically go on cruises to Europe, Caribbean, Alaska and just travel to go and experience the culture or for business. Unlike Nigerians, who typically travel out of Nigeria purposefully to shop for cheap or the latest fashion accessories, the average American is not going to travel out just to go shopping for clothes and bags when it is in her backyard for dead cheap. Think.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by PapaBrowne(m): 10:17am On May 11, 2012
^^^^^
Looks like you are living in the past!! Its you ilk that would prefer Nigeria stays poor so you can feel ok with yourself that you are outside Nigeria.
Americans own the factories in China yet, America is getting poorer and owing China over 2 Trillion dollars!! That means every American owes China 6600 USD. Get your facts right man. America was, China is!! The world has changed.

The way you are going about defending America is appalling. 5 years ago, this report would have had America on top of the list.
Wake up already, the report signifies a global capital shift. 5 years ago, Americans were forking out $30 Million daily go buy Nigerian oil, it is now ovcer $ 100 million daily. The result is massive shift in capital and in turn more Nigerians shopping in UK over Americans!! Its simple economics, man. Learn it.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 10:26am On May 11, 2012
This survey is not talking about ordinary people. Like ordinary american that are living from pay cheque to pay cheque who will rather buy lay-away from payless and jcpenny than visit britain,they dont even know where britain is. But about the comfortable americans that can afford to waste their earnings on holidays and they buy most things as sorvenirs for visitng britain. While the chinese visitors are the upcoming china middle class that like to show off by buying named brands which chinese people are found of,just like blacks.

The african and middle east high spenders are mostly the very corrupt that steals their suffering people,s wealth and come to waste it britain,since they are stolen and plenty more from the looting coffers.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Princek12(m): 10:27am On May 11, 2012
PapaBrowne: ^^^^^
Looks like you are living in the past!! Its you ilk that would prefer Nigeria stays poor so you can feel ok with yourself that you are outside Nigeria.
Americans own the factories in China yet, America is getting poorer and owing China over 2 Trillion dollars!! That means every American owes China 6600 USD. Get your facts right man. America was, China is!! The world has changed.

The way you are going about defending America is appalling. 5 years ago, this report would have had America on top of the list.
Wake up already, the report signifies a global capital shift. 5 years ago, Americans were forking out $30 Million daily go buy Nigerian oil, it is now ovcer $ 100 million daily. The result is massive shift in capital and in turn more Nigerians shopping in UK over Americans!! Its simple economics, man. Learn it.

You are dreaming. I do not pray that Nigeria stays poor; I pray that Nigeria has stable electricity so that industries can thrive and we can manufacture our own products rather than be proud about shopping overseas. I pray that we have good roads and safe drinking water. I pray for a good educational system.

The $100 million daily that Nigeria is making daily does not reach the common man, bro; it is only enriching the senators and politicians in Abuja and the few who are well connected, many of whom are the ones shopping in London. And $100 is chicken change to America.

I reside both in America and Nigeria. And America is not getting poorer; it is just in a recession. And China relies on America; America does not rely on China. If American companies pull their manufacturing from China, China's economy would take a serious hit.

Even five years ago, America would have never been on top of the list. Americans just don't travel out to shop for clothes and bags. Period.

Go to Forbes List of the World's richest and count how many American billionaires you have on the list. Keep dreaming if you think Americans are getting poorer.

Since you claim China is, what product has a Chinese company developed that has garnered worldwide acclaim? I bet you can't think of one.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by oiseworld: 10:33am On May 11, 2012
i like this topic. Infact i love this topic.

Nigerias and the Nigerian govt have always turned around and overlook the substandard products that come from china. We won't produce ours to meet our standard and still won't check the quality that comes from our business allies, mainly china and asia in general. The reasons why Nigerians go to uk to buy quality as we know we like yanga!!. This report only shows how much nigerians are ready to give away for torrism and quality. It also shows how britain together with other white countries exploit and take advantages of our ignorance.

The south african companies coming to nigeria are also not helpimg matters.eg shoprite,mtn,dstv. They just see Nigeria as a market to grow their economy. They make all the money and send them back home.
Our company has been tring to list/display our product in shoprite for long now. All they say is next month,2 months time, this and that. At one time i started to think it was the feud between nigeria and SA, and that they were taking it back on us. "But you know, just a disturbed mind"

the govt should be more sensitive to issues and try think why things are the way they are. I know my northern brothers would be happy that hausa is been used in display in some stores, but would never see the exploitation and their foolishness in it. It would now streghten the born to rule mentality as they would see themselves as important and recognized instead as been exploited.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Princek12(m): 10:45am On May 11, 2012
oiseworld: i like this topic. Infact i love this topic.

Nigerias and the Nigerian govt have always turned around and overlook the substandard products that come from china. We won't produce ours to meet our standard and still won't check the quality that comes from our business allies, mainly china and asia in general. The reasons why Nigerians go to uk to buy quality as we know we like yanga!!. This report only shows how much nigerians are ready to give away for torrism and quality. It also shows how britain together with other white countries exploit and take advantages of our ignorance.

The south african companies coming to nigeria are also not helpimg matters.eg shoprite,mtn,dstv. They just see Nigeria as a market to grow their economy. They make all the money and send them back home.
Our company has been tring to list/display our product in shoprite for long now. All they say is next month,2 months time, this and that. At one time i started to think it was the feud between nigeria and SA, and that they were taking it back on us. "But you know, just a disturbed mind"

the govt should be more sensitive to issues and try think why things are the way they are. I know my northern brothers would be happy that hausa is been used in display in some stores, but would never see the exploitation and their foolishness in it. It would now streghten the born to rule mentality as they would see themselves as important and recognized instead as been exploited.

Brilliant post. Also I think that Hausa was used in the display because many Hausas can't read in English. Many Ibos and Yorubas and others can read in English. Just a thought.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 10:56am On May 11, 2012
The lesson one should learn from this findings is that hausa people are mostly the ones pillaging nigerian resources from the top and that is why their region is more ravaged. They spend the looted money lavishly and stupidly like the arabs because they control the honey comb that belongs to ordinary naijans,specifically,the deltans

oiseworld:

i like this topic. Infact i love this topic.

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 4:14pm On May 11, 2012
PrinceK12
Clothes and fashion accessories are dead cheap in America, and any sane American resident would not leave New York to go and shop in London. You obviously don't understand economics and business. I am sure you flunked out of school. Prices of clothes in America can go as low as 90% off. So why will I leave America to go to U.K. and pay top dollar? Go back to school, my brother. Nigerians do not have the variety in Nigeria as they do in the U.K. Americans have one million times the variety in America. Go and hate all you want. The truth is the truth.

@^^ I think you do not understand the essence of the report hence you are still flogging the issue of how cheap it is to shop in the USA. Everyone knows that it's cheaper(USA) but it's about tourists/temporary visitors to the UK and their "Out-shopping" habits. Please learn to read and understand the true essence of the topic and its import.

PapaBrowne, made some very important observations/points as to the reasons why it's what it is grin and for good measure even offered some insight and projections about business opportunities in such "profligate" tendencies of our people visiting the UK. It is not about how long you've lived and shopped in the malls of the USA or how cheaper it is relative to the UK. Tourists don't usually act rationally when shopping otherwise why would a Chinese or Arab travel at all, let alone shop anywhere else but in their own backyard that is infinitely diverse and cheaper. Please think about it logically bro grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Princek12(m): 10:49pm On May 11, 2012
cheikh: PrinceK12

@^^ I think you do not understand the essence of the report hence you are still flogging the issue of how cheap it is to shop in the USA. Everyone knows that it's cheaper(USA) but it's about tourists/temporary visitors to the UK and their "Out-shopping" habits. Please learn to read and understand the true essence of the topic and its import.

PapaBrowne, made some very important observations/points as to the reasons why it's what it is grin and for good measure even offered some insight and projections about business opportunities in such "profligate" tendencies of our people visiting the UK. It is not about how long you've lived and shopped in the malls of the USA or how cheaper it is relative to the UK. Tourists don't usually act rationally when shopping otherwise why would a Chinese or Arab travel at all, let alone shop anywhere else but in their own backyard that is infinitely diverse and cheaper. Please think about it logically bro grin

What do you mean that tourists don't act rationally when shopping? And for your info genuine products are not cheaper in China; it is the fake products that are cheaper in China. You are the one who should think about it logically. And for your info, clothes are not cheap in Arab malls; I have been to Dubai, and clothes are very expensive in their malls.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 8:43pm On May 12, 2012
PrinceK12
What do you mean that tourists don't act rationally when shopping? And for your info genuine products are not cheaper in China; it is the fake products that are cheaper in China. You are the one who should think about it logically. And for your info, clothes are not cheap in Arab malls; I have been to Dubai, and clothes are very expensive in their malls.
(Re

@^^ Please the topic is about relatively affluent tourists/visitors who do not care about price of goods and services. It is about pleasure seekers and shoppers(tourists). They do not count their pennies nor care about where they shop either. Not many Nigerians(Africans) indulge in leisure travel that much hence you are hung up about the "costs" or "price". Please free your mind from inherent poverty wink. There are many who travel to wherever without fear of the "price" or cost of the "shopping" anywhere they may visit. So called "fake" or "Genuine" products and "expensive" clothes in Dubai malls are manufactured in (Asia) probably China, Vietnam, India and Bangladesh. Even your beloved American products- Apple et al are manufactured in China etc. grin. Relax and do not be hung up about the "price". Genuine tourists do not bother about such mundane issues grin grin. They want to shop in England and Scotland to identify/make a statement or affirm their longings for everything British expensive or not grin. Perhaps you do not understand how deep the "colonial" impact holds on "WASP" Americans and the rest of the world. Tourism in UK is one of the most profitable branch of the British economy despite the[b] extortionate [/b] costs of everything- hotels to food etc sad. Tourists love England and her quasi history grin. Why do Nigerians still send their wards/children to Britain? It's cheaper everywhere else but old habits and "colo-mentality" are difficult to expunge especially if you have the money to purchase anything.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by vizion: 10:19pm On May 13, 2012
did they compare the population of Nigerians in UK with that of Americans in the UK?, as that could have a very significant effect on the statistics
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by vizion: 10:27pm On May 13, 2012
redsun: This survey is not talking about ordinary people. Like ordinary american that are living from pay cheque to pay cheque who will rather buy lay-away from payless and jcpenny than visit britain,they dont even know where britain is. But about the comfortable americans that can afford to waste their earnings on holidays and they buy most things as sorvenirs for visitng britain. While the chinese visitors are the upcoming china middle class that like to show off by buying named brands which chinese people are found of,just like blacks.

The african and middle east high spenders are mostly the very corrupt that steals their suffering people,s wealth and come to waste it britain,since they are stolen and plenty more from the looting coffers.

Britain is a not an ideal tourist destination for the Americans
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 8:57pm On May 15, 2012
vizion
Britain is a not an ideal tourist destination for the Americans

@^^ How do you know- it is not an "idea"l tourist destination for the Americans? Are you "white" American who probably is of European(British) heritage? Please forget about your hang-ups as a non pleasure traveller/tourist. It is obvious that you do not travel for pleasure let alone "shop" without care or counting your pennies. Some people do travel and "out shop" everybody else because they have the money to spend without bother/care of price grin grin. Fortunately or unfortunately Nigerians are amongst the leading "tourists"/visitors "out shopping" most nationalities including the Americans(tourists). Britain is very much an ideal tourist destination for the Yanks even to the African Americans too wink grin.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by manny4life(m): 11:45pm On May 15, 2012
Personally, I do not believe it's the geographical location that matters, however, the purse of the individuals that matter. U.S. and it's citizens are spending less (domestically), so it will make sense they spend even less abroad. It doesn't mean they won't buy, it's just means they think twice before spending.

Nigeria in this case, Nigerians are evolving, we're exploring different things, and since Nigerians are more closer to Britain, with less exclusive shopping options, they're more inclined to spend more tha Americans. In addition to that, most folks who shop fashion clothing's and accessories are into business - resale. Given more variable and depending on how you interpret it, it can be more positive than negative.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mimiko Secretly Recruiting Workers, Selling Govt. Properties To Cronies – APC / PMB: Just Like The Mills Of The Gods- Femi Adesina / SHOCKING!!! 5 Strange Things You Never Knew About Buhari – By Nzeribe Enz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.