Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here (50238 Views)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Uniben Faculty Of Education Aspirants Meet Here / Uniport 2011/2012 Newly Admitted Student And Aspirants Meet Here:: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 11:21pm On May 13, 2012
TinTin18:

Can i just say that I understand your point on course based Masters etc. I wouldn't want to get into the technicalities and what obtains in Canada or the USA without doing proper research but can I ask what one is awarded in Canada after only taking classes for 1year? If a student is admitted into Uni to study for an MSc degree(1yr lectures/classes and 1 year research) but only completes the first year of study, What degree will such a student be awarded??

Speaking of PGDip, I beg to differ on your point that a PGDip is the last year of undergraduate studies. if PG mean Post graduate, how then can it be the last year of undergraduate studies? May I suggest that you state where such applies so one is not confused or misinformed (you know about it but some of us do not and can learn a thing or two). Please note that I haven't said that you're wrong in anyway. It is possible that what you have stated pertains to the US but not the UK.

Having said that, can I also point out that in the UK, PGCert, PGDip and MSc students take the same lectures at what you would call "Masters level" and are most times in the same class but the distinguishing factors amongst the three are grades and dissertation. In a situation where a student has been offered a place to study for an MSc degree and s/he is unable to make up the credits to be awarded an MSc, s/he may end up with either a PGCert or PGDip. Also, it is possible to apply to study for any of the three degrees as one pleases. please see link http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/taught/med/clinical-primary-comm-care.aspx.

If a student enters a one-year course based Master's, the student gets a Master's degree afterwards. If a student enters a two-year Master's, the student is expected to finish what he registered for. An exception to this being France, where a student is offered M1 degree after the first year of graduate studies. The students, based on my experience, are regarded as Master's degree holders and are not in anyway inferior in a regular private sector job environment where research skills are not that paramount

PgDip varies around the world. I spoke about what I am familiar with. The department I graduated from in naija repeats final year undergraduate courses at PgDip level. The reason behind this is that many of the PgDip students are not originally from the field of the PgDip and so the PgDip serves as a way to usher them into the new field. In their view, you cannot master what you have no foundation in. I don't know if you are familiar with mathematics, but a lecturer wouldn't want to teach advanced ring theory to students who don't know what a ring is all about in the first place. There is no way the students can understand, absolutely no way. The aim of the PgDip in this sense is to rigorously introduce novice students to a field that they can later develop on, perhaps on a higher level. This is not business or finance or management or administration where anybody with some intelligence can read and grasp what is happening.

Many first year postgraduate courses at some UK schools are essentially a repetition of what some of us were taught at final year in some naija universities. So yes, a graduate level work can be a repetition of final year undergraduate level work. It all depends on where one is coming from. I guess you know that some school's final year BSc courses (5-year programs) are equivalent to what some others call first year postgraduate degree courses.

Yes, everything is relative. I have never gainsaid that. Indeed, systems vary around the world.

T22.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 11:23pm On May 13, 2012
iconic_s: Best thread yet!!! @T22 thanks! I was told too that my part time BSc would cover for the professional experience you mentioned initially. I would have loved going for a full time MBA at Unilag, (not MSc Economics), but I ll go for LAUTECH MBA part time or any federal Uni with a study centre in Lagos considering my job and the cost implication. What's your take?

Ok, you have to go for what is congruent with your pocket.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by iconics: 9:36am On May 14, 2012
@T22 thanks!!!
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Sijo01(f): 10:27am On May 14, 2012
keller1: Hi guys, pls what is the difference in doing masters in national Open University (NOUN) and schools like U.I, unilag and so on.

Can sombdy who kno's anyfin abut dis questn ansa it plz.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by FunmyKemmy(f): 12:22pm On May 14, 2012
@ Homerac 7

Thanks so much.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by twaintoy(f): 4:07pm On May 14, 2012
tanimola22:

Good. So you can speak the English more and more. wink
That's kinda funny Tanimola, thanks anyway.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by gaddafe(m): 4:30am On May 16, 2012
Sijo01:

Can sombdy who kno's anyfin abut dis questn ansa it plz.

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference as regards the value of the certificate, but the mode of study is where the difference lies.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaki006: 5:12am On May 18, 2012
Hello everyone, Pls am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engine from FUTA (2.1) and about to apply for Msc in UNILAG (Elect/Elect),

my first concern is am still on service(NYSC) but my certificate will be ready before resumption,

secondly, I know nothing about the nature of their entrance test,

Finally, since it is always good to learn from people who had gone tru the same process I will like to contact someone who had studied or is studying for Msc in the same department. Thank you

QUICK RESPONSE WILL BE APPRECIATED as I am on a deadline for application.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Nobody: 10:04am On May 19, 2012
Well, I also read elect elect and doing my masters presently in a federal school in the south west. One thing I noticed is that two PhD students that just registered had to write all the m.eng courses with us again.They both have theor msc from unilag. Some harsh schools insist you go through the m.eng course work again unless your msc duration is atleast two year's. And since unilag is max 18months, this two guy's will have to waste a year now before actually starting their PhD programmes. Cruel I'll say.
jaki006: Hello everyone, Pls am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engine from FUTA (2.1) and about to apply for Msc in UNILAG (Elect/Elect),

my first concern is am still on service(NYSC) but my certificate will be ready before resumption,

secondly, I know nothing about the nature of their entrance test,

Finally, since it is always good to learn from people who had gone tru the same process I will like to contact someone who had studied or is studying for Msc in the same department. Thank you

QUICK RESPONSE WILL BE APPRECIATED as I am on a deadline for application.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaki006: 5:45pm On May 19, 2012
Guitarlife: Well, I also read elect elect and doing my masters presently in a federal school in the south west. One thing I noticed is that two PhD students that just registered had to write all the m.eng courses with us again.They both have theor msc from unilag. Some harsh schools insist you go through the m.eng course work again unless your msc duration is atleast two year's. And since unilag is max 18months, this two guy's will have to waste a year now before actually starting their PhD programmes. Cruel I'll say.
Pls what is your advice I graduated from futa and by my understanding FUTA is the only federal school in the south west that can award M.eng
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 19, 2012
Na lie . Me sef na m.eng im I go get after da programme and na for this same SW him dey. Buh I know say na msc unilag dey award sha. I no think say difference dey cos no be B.Tech FUTA sef dey award for first degree? Na b.tech me sef take enter for this m.eng programme so e nor mean na just grammar dey different.
jaki006: Pls what is your advice I graduated from futa and by my understanding FUTA is the only federal school in the south west that can award M.eng
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaki006: 12:03pm On May 20, 2012
Guitarlife: Na lie . Me sef na m.eng im I go get after da programme and na for this same SW him dey. Buh I know say na msc unilag dey award sha. I no think say difference dey cos no be B.Tech FUTA sef dey award for first degree? Na b.tech me sef take enter for this m.eng programme so e nor mean na just grammar dey different.
I graduated from futa and I got a B.eng not B.tech which school? abi the school no get name? Moreover all am asking for is your advice.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 20, 2012
Na federal school joor and I tell you na M.ENG. And I been think say na M.ENG too OAU dey award. You fit confirm sha buh I no know say na B.ENG futa dey award. Why you dey para for the ''M.whatever eng , sc or tech''?
jaki006: I graduated from futa and I got a B.eng not B.tech which school? abi the school no get name? Moreover all am asking for is your advice.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jadedmocha(f): 3:20pm On May 21, 2012
I studied Estate Management and graduated in the year 2010.
tanimola22:

Let us know what you studied and when you graduated.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaki006: 6:55pm On May 21, 2012
Any UNILAG masters student in the house? Help needed.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by janita: 1:00pm On May 22, 2012
i visited unilag last week and was told HND graduate cannot apply for their pgd programme.I was made to understand that i can actually apply for MBA. At dis point i need ur advice cos i actually wanted to go for pgd computer science cos i studied computer science in school. With dis new direction i hope i am still in order or is it in any form a diversion. Pls all kindly ad before i go for the form
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 24, 2012
Please, anybody with info about when Nnamdi Azikiwe University will be open for admission into Master degree program for 2012, please let me know. Thanks.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Lillyeean(f): 10:30pm On May 26, 2012
Pls anybody with Information on when ABU masters form will start selling should ple keep me posted... Thanks
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Taiw(m): 7:31am On May 29, 2012
i visited unilag last week and was told HND
graduate cannot apply for their pgd
programme.I was made to understand that i
can actually apply for MBA. At dis point i
need ur advice cos i actually wanted to go
for pgd computer science cos i studied
computer science in school. With dis new
direction i hope i am still in order or is it in
any form a diversion. Pls all kindly ad
before i go for the form
there are other schools na like oau and ibadan.
Please is Futa form out?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaybim: 12:02pm On May 29, 2012
jaybim: Hey guys, I'm presently serving(nysc) n won't b out till october, can I still apply 4 unilag masters while serving? And also bearing in mind that I won't be through when admission comes out in september, cos I read on der website that one must hav completed nysc.... HELP, Anyone??
Hello poeple...anybody with this information Please
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jummywal(f): 4:13pm On May 29, 2012
Pls can I study haematology at masters level with my Bsc biochemistry in UI
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Youhesh(m): 3:29pm On May 30, 2012
Hello, a friend of mine has a BSc(Ed) in Biology. I want to know if she can study Enviromental Toxicology and Pollution Management in Unilag. Anybody pls.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Christine01(f): 7:28pm On Jun 02, 2012
Hi everyone,
I'm a graduate of Biochemistry and will be rounding up the service year I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ a few days time. I want to proceed for my masters immediately(M.Sc Biochemistry) and I'm at the point of registering for Unilorin M.sc programme. But at this point, I can't seem to make up my mind between Unilorin and UI.Pls what do you guys advice? Which is the better school for my course of study?

Eagerly awaiting your replies.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Christine01(f): 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2012
Pls when will UI be resuming for their 2012/2013 academic session?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Egbonlai(m): 4:50pm On Jun 03, 2012
M.sc or M.ed...i av NCE in Business Education and a B.sc(Ed) in Economics..i wnt 2 do Mastas at U.i ..pls i nid advice
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by agoro2u: 5:45pm On Jun 03, 2012
hazvat :
How much is unilorin masters program for this year.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by gokewilliams: 8:35pm On Jun 03, 2012
Hey co-aspirants!!! Pls,when is futa M.Sc.form coming out??am rily waiting for dt.thanxxxxxx
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Niiade(m): 1:16pm On Jun 05, 2012
Tanimola22
Please i would like answers to the following questions before i go ahead with registration for Msc in Unilag.
I am rounding up my MBA with another university soon is there any advantage when i use it to apply for Msc?
How long is the part-time programme for Msc Finance at Unilag?
When does lectures hold for Msc finance, days n time?
How much is the school fees for Msc finance presently in Unilag?
thank you very much
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by ishmael(m): 5:29pm On Jun 05, 2012
Okimski: Please i need a reply, i graduated with a pass in Geology which school can i do PGD to upgrade my result. Cos most schools don't accept Pass in PGD programme
i know of somebody with HND pass grade that just finished his PGD in banking & fin. (PGDBF) from ABU.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by chidicy: 7:10am On Jul 01, 2012
Christine01: Pls when will UI be resuming for their 2012/2013 academic session?

my guy, am a mech nd prodction engr graduate nd wnt 2 do my M.Eng in UI. Pls av de stoped selling d forms 4 ds yr's session?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by stpat1(m): 9:27am On Jul 01, 2012
Pls does anyone know when Uniport or RSUT PGD forms are sold? I dont want to miss it this year. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Adamu Abubakar Rasheed Graduates From University Of Aberdeen UK. Nigerians React / State Universities With The Best Infrastructures And Facilities- Pictures / 2012 Rating Of Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.