Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:19 PM

Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. (2719 Views)

Robert Mugabe Claims Nigerian Witch Doctors Were Hired To Kill Him / People Think That Tinubu 'Rules' Lagos: Why? / The Real Reasons The Service Chiefs Were Fired! Real Intel From The Isrealis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Gbawe: 9:49am On May 09, 2012
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/45986-%E2%80%98why-doctors-were-fired%E2%80%99.html

‘Why doctors were fired’
By Miriam Ndikanwu and Wale Adepoju 9 hours 19 minutes ago

The Lagos State government yesterday defended its decision to lay off striking 788 doctors.

It said the decision, though painful, was necessary and taken for the public good. The government also ruled out any further negotiation with the sacked doctors, saying those interested in abiding by the rules could appeal for consideration.

Commissioner for Health Dr. Jide Idris who spoke yesterday denied that hospitals in the state were totally grounded by the doctors’ strike, saying 746 doctors were at work providing qualitative medical service and saving lives. Those ones are to be joined by the newly employed 373 medics, he added.

Dr. Idris, who spoke at the secretariat in Alausa said: [b]“though every employee has a right to down tools to call attention of his employer to his plight, that shouldn’t be at the expense of the laid- down rules and at the expense of innocent people’s lives,” adding, “we must restore health services back to our facilities and prevent deaths.”

He said the government bent over backwards to accommodate the excesses of the striking doctors while exploring all avenues for dialogue. He regretted that the striking doctors remained adamant.

The Commissioner said as part of the avenues that was employed to resolve the differences, the leadership of the House of Assembly held a meeting with both parties, noting that the striking doctors insulted members of the panel and the meeting ended abruptly.

He said newly employed doctors would blend with the others to provide qualitative and efficient service.

Idris said government was open to dialogue but noted that preserving the lives of Lagosians was paramount.

Dr. Idris said the government would not be intimidated by the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) with its utterances and threats of legal action against the government.

He said having taken a bold step to employ new doctors to take over the vacant positions, there are presently about 1,059 doctors to attend to patients in need of medical attention.

Dr. Idris described the threat by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) to revoke the licences of the newly recruited doctors as mere intimidation; saying only the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) has the power to decide on discipline in the the medical profession. . “The NMA does not grant Medical licences; it is the MDCN that grants medical licensces. And granting of the Medical licences is subject to your qualification in the medical school”, he said.

He added that the NMA ought to be an association of medical professionals who should uphold the dignity of the profession.
[/b]
Head of Service (HOS) Adesegun Ogunlewe said officers dismissed from service have no place for negotiation. He said they could only appeal to the governor for reconsideration.

Ogunlewe said it was “cruel and callous” of the doctors to neglect their patients and embark on an illegal strike. He said government had met some of the issues they raised.

The HOS said the doctors by their action, violated rules and regulations, leaving the government with no option but to salvage the situation. He said: “If you go on an illegal strike, it is as good as someone who absented himself from work without permission and there are laid down rules for that.

“I released a circular to bring the attention of all workers to the Trade Dispute Act and it was clear that government intended to henceforth enforce the content of that Trade Dispute Act, the consequence of the illegalities of their actions is what they are reaping now.

“The state government holds all health workers in very high esteem including doctors. However, in a democracy, the rule of law must always prevail , particularly in a public service where we have age-long rules and regulations that have been guiding the performance of every member irrespective of their performance within the service”.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Demdem(m): 10:12am On May 09, 2012
Just need to be clear on these issues. They werent attended to in the report.

1) Did the LASG (not FG ooo) have an agreement with these docs as claimed by the docs?
2) Are the docs fighting for what is not in this agreement or part of what is stated in the agreement?
3) If true there was an agreement with LASG, how far has the govt implemented it?

I just need answers to these questions. Someone help me out here.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Nobody: 10:23am On May 09, 2012
Agreement everytime as if they are better than other professions in Nigeria.To me,health service should be considered as essential services just like the police and military where unionism is prohibited.The essence of strike is to provide avenue to bargain for better welfare from government and the warring factions should be able to reach a compromise.
The state government cannot continue to allow the death of innocent souls who happen to bear the consequence of the strike while the doctors just insist on getting their own selfish demands implemented.It's insane !
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by naijaking1: 10:33am On May 09, 2012
All hail King Fashola, I thought its time to lead a demonstration, this time against your own people.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ektbear: 10:43am On May 09, 2012

Commissioner for Health Dr. Jide Idris who spoke yesterday denied that hospitals in the state were totally grounded by the doctors’ strike, saying 746 doctors were at work providing qualitative medical service and saving lives. Those ones are to be joined by the newly employed 373 medics, he added.

Dr. Idris described the threat by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) to revoke the licences of the newly recruited doctors as mere intimidation; saying only the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) has the power to decide on discipline in the the medical profession. . “The NMA does not grant Medical licences; it is the MDCN that grants medical licensces. And granting of the Medical licences is subject to your qualification in the medical school”, he said.

@aletheia: It appears that Lagos State has won this battle against the doctors grin

They've already replaced half of their fired staff. No doubt they'll be able to fill in the remaining vacancies over time.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ektbear: 10:48am On May 09, 2012
I've never understood why in a country like Nigeria where unemployment is so high, labor has ever felt like it has the upper hand.

And as much as doctors may want to think otherwise, they are labor like everyone else.

Replaceable.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Nobody: 10:53am On May 09, 2012
Revoke fire....LOL, when almost all the doctors in private hospitals have been praying for an opportunity to work in civil service. One of my friends in a top Lagos private hospital, one of the best in naija just sent in his application. Yorubas would say, ti te ni kan oba baje, ti elo mi ko ni da.

They even insulted the honourables of LAHA, atleast they should respect the office they hold. We have seen how they have been insulting Nairalanders all over the forum, insulting the same masses they should try to win to their side.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Kay17: 10:56am On May 09, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Agreement everytime as if they are better than other professions in Nigeria.To me,health service should be considered as essential services just like the police and military where unionism is prohibited.The essence of strike is to provide avenue to bargain for better welfare from government and the warring factions should be able to reach a compromise.
The state government cannot continue to allow the death of innocent souls who happen to bear the consequence of the strike while the doctors just insist on getting their own selfish demands implemented.It's insane !
that would be tyranny! Police should allowed under stringent rules to strike for better pay and conditions. Its no wonder its in this state.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Rhino5dm: 11:08am On May 09, 2012
Don't mind the fools! Soo many are going to be jobless cool

princey83: Revoke fire....LOL, when almost all the doctors in private hospitals have been praying for an opportunity to work in civil service. One of my friends in a top Lagos private hospital, one of the best in naija just sent in his application. Yorubas would say, ti te ni kan oba baje, ti elo mi ko ni da.

They even insulted the honourables of LAHA, atleast they should respect the office they hold. We have seen how they have been insulting Nairalanders all over the forum, insulting the same masses they should try to win to their side.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by aletheia(m): 4:16pm On May 09, 2012
ekt_bear:
@aletheia: It appears that Lagos State has won this battle against the doctors grin

They've already replaced half of their fired staff. No doubt they'll be able to fill in the remaining vacancies over time.
^
Very soon, you will discover the limits of propaganda. You are too quick to believe these politicians.
Meanwhile, confusion and lull took over at the General Hospital, Badagry, on Tuesday following the sacking of the 788 striking doctors by the Lagos State government.

A News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) correspondent in Badagry reported that the doctors were unavailable at the hospital to be served their letters.

Only nurses and health officials were seen at their duty posts providing skeletal services to some patients.

Source

So ekt_bear, can the commissioner tell you where the "newly employed" doctors are?

By Friday, after the completion of the ongoing professional exams at LUTH; you will see a severe escalation of the strike as ALL hospitals both Federal and State owned in Lagos become paralysed by NMA. A lot of you keep talking about the Hippocratic oath and fail to pay attention to these lines therein:
MY COLLEAGUES will be my sisters and brothers.

As I 've previously said, it will be interesting to see how you guys spin this when Fashola climbs down.

Meanwhile the hypocrisy is nauseating and stinks to high heavens: if a non-ACN governor "sacks" over 700 doctors we know what you guys would have said.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Demdem(m): 4:21pm On May 09, 2012
Demdem: Just need to be clear on these issues. They werent attended to in the report.

1) Did the LASG (not FG ooo) have an agreement with these docs as claimed by the docs?
2) Are the docs fighting for what is not in this agreement or part of what is stated in the agreement?
3) If true there was an agreement with LASG, how far has the govt implemented it?

I just need answers to these questions. Someone help me out here.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by youngmonie: 4:47pm On May 09, 2012
Would keeep saying it....THATHCER STYLE IS THE BEST...........all these Unions have toooooooooo much power in this country and the government would do nothing about it because time and time again we have seen leaders of unions used as political tools.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 09, 2012
ekt_bear:

those sacked i beleive wit their experience, abroad here the come.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Gbawe: 6:22pm On May 09, 2012
My honest opinion is that this is hard to call. I absolutely agree that employers should always do their best to provide the best terms possible for their employees. I think employees must agitate for the best employment terms possible.

Employees , however, cannot hold employers to ransom forever. If employees and employers cannot be reconciled then a parting of ways is inevitable. It is either that the Doctors can resign and seek what they are agitating for elsewhere or their employer (the State Government in this case) can sack them. What cannot hold is for employees to demand that they must compulsorily and rigidly be employed under their own terms in the modern labour market where , ultimately, everyone is replaceable if employer and employee cannot see eye to eye.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ektbear: 6:23pm On May 09, 2012
If it were that easy, then they'd have left already. After all, it isn't like a doctor in Nigeria will make money comparable to what doctors makes abroad.

However, getting a visa isn't easy.

Neither is passing licensing exams...

You basically need some wealthy relative already abroad who will sponsor, house and feed you while you study for your exams.

An exam that not everyone passes on their first try.

Long story short, Lagos shouldn't concern themselves much with that...whether these doctors go abroad or not is not their concern (though it is a loss for Nigeria as a whole.)

Lagos's only concern should be to replace those sacked.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 09, 2012
If any professional i.e docs,nurses,pharm,engr,teacher,plumber,electrician,social worker e.t.c wants to move abroad, its their prerogative.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by phantom(m): 10:21pm On May 09, 2012
this fashola man is just power drunk but very soon the drink go clear for im eye....siddon,look,laugh na im i dey... grin
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ektbear: 10:49pm On May 09, 2012
Is it true that they were still being paid while they were striking, by the way?

I read this somewhere, but I find it hard to believe that this really happened.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by onomeasike: 1:44am On May 10, 2012
The killer doctors currently sacked should be prosecuted and jailed for crimes committed against humanity ,particularly,lives of patients lost due to their unprofessional appetite for real and imaginary allowances.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by EkoIle1: 2:38am On May 10, 2012
ekt_bear: Is it true that they were still being paid while they were striking, by the way?

I read this somewhere, but I find it hard to believe that this really happened.

No they are not.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Rhino5dm: 2:54am On May 10, 2012
why do people always like to down play the atrocities of these doctors? I had this medical condition and I decided to see a consultant at UPTH(university of portharcourt teaching hospital) in PH, they told to me to come in six days time, because the consultant is occupied with previous appointments.

After deciding to go back home, a nurse came out from no where to advice me on how to get the service of the consultant in shortest time i.e at his private clinic. I gave her nod in acceptance of her terms and she handed me a complimentary card bearing the address and contacts of the consultant said to be occupied, I put a call through and book appointment within seconds, I drove down to his clinic, a rented 2 bedroom flat with a very poor physical condition, paid registration fee in form buying an out patient card @ 2500 naira. In short I spent a total of 25 000 naira before leaving that clinic, for a service that shouldn't cost me more than 5 000 naira at UPTH.

They are now using public offices to divert patients under false pretence to their clinics, while competing for the latest SUV in town and yet some foolish doctors are here yapping thrash and claiming nonsense. Majority of doctors in nigeria are fraud and very heartless creatures.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ektbear: 2:55am On May 10, 2012
Eko Ile:

No they are not.

Ah, thanks.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ektbear: 2:55am On May 10, 2012
phantom: this fashola man is just power drunk but very soon the drink go clear for im eye....siddon,look,laugh na im i dey... grin

Power drunk undecided

You usually are a fairly rational man.

What would you do in the same situation, then?
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by aletheia(m): 4:17pm On May 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

Power drunk undecided

A rational man would not sack nearly the entire workforce of doctors in his state. An irrational misguided and ill-advised one would.

Remember this quote: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

So where are the newly employed doctors? At least one would expect to see some of them in LASUTH if not in any other of the state-run hospitals.

As doctors’ strike in Lagos State continues, MAUREEN AZUH captures the state of activities at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja

As doctors in the employment of Lagos State Government continue their strike, which is in its third week, the state owned teaching hospital has remained nearly deserted. All the activities the hospital, popularly called LASUTH, is known for were lacking when our correspondent surveyed the premises. From the traffic that used to welcome visitors into the hospital, to the usually crowded lobbies at each of the wards, especially the ever busy Emergency Ward, the entire place was virtually deserted.

Most of the officials around refused to speak about the strike, perhaps for fear of being sacked like the 788 doctors currently at loggerheads with the state government. Others who managed to speak only spoke on the condition of anonymity.

At the children’s ward, a security official said there were no patients in the wards. According to him, most of them only come in the morning to see if the strike has been called off. They hang around for a while and leave for their homes.

A woman met at the lobby, who gave her name as Grace Wakama, told our correspondent that she was not aware of the strike. She said she had wanted to see a doctor but was told there was none on duty.

The Surgical Outpatient Ward was as empty as the children’s ward with a few nurses strolling around the empty corridors. The Diabetes Clinic, which was hitherto popular for the number of elderly patients who visit there, had only three nurses who were busy exchanging pleasantries.

One of them – who spoke in hushed tone – said there were no patients for them to treat, although she expressed the hope the issues would be settled early enough for normalcy to return.

She said, “There is no basis for any kind of reaction from us. Let the government heed the doctors’ demand so they can in turn answer us too. You can see the way things are now. Though I work in the clinic, I know most of the patients in the wards are not there anymore.”

Asked why the patients left, she retorted, “If you were a patient, would you stay back and pay for bed space when you are not being attended to by any doctor?”

The Director, Clinical Services and Training, Dr. Olabode Ogunbanjo, who asked our correspondent to get clearance from the Ministry of Health, Alausa, before he could grant an interview, however, said there were a few doctors on duty.

“We have fewer patients than usual. Some of them left when the strike started but those that are left are being attended to by the few available doctors,” he said.

When our correspondent visited the male surgical wards, a female member of the staff, who was off duty at the time but came to immunise her baby, said the nurses were trying to cope as much as possible without the doctors. Although like the others, she refused to give her name, she gave a fuller illustration of activities at the hospital.

She said, “When the strike began, all the patients that were critically ill were discharged. Others were asked to go to private hospitals. But there are some others that the nurses treat. Like those who have fractures, for instance, and had been attended to by the doctors before the strike began, some of them are still around. We know the drugs that have been prescribed for them. So, we just dress them up and administer the drugs. And when we run out of supply, we ask them to buy more. So far there has been no emergency case. Everyone knows there is strike; so, no one will bring an emergency case here until the strike is over.”

While the situation, at the Critical Care Unit and the Cardiac Neurosurgical Wards were the same, a nursing officer in front of the Medical Emergency unit of the hospital lamented the nurses plight saying it had been quite challenging.

She said, “Health is a team work. Like every part of the body that has a function, when one is missing it will tell on the others. We have been trying to cope on our own, but it is not the same. Just like if we the nurses decide to go on strike, the doctors will feel our absence. Now we don’t even have patients to attend to. There are only two patients in the whole of this ward. One is a member of our staff that we are treating for a slight illness and the other was brought in here this afternoon by LASAMBUS. We are trying to treat him on our own,” she said.

Most of the people around the premises are security officials, cleaners, medical representatives and some of the striking doctors who are said to come in from time to time but do not engage in any official activity.

Interestingly, despite the strike and the tense atmosphere, the hospital kitchen is still running. Our correspondent saw the kitchen staff bringing in groceries while others pushed trolleys about the corridor.

Meanwhile, the state government has, in a statement signed by the Head of Service, Mr. Adesegun Ogunlewe, on Monday announced that the striking doctors had been sacked following their refusal to answer queries to explain why they were absent from work without leave and without the due observance of the rules and regulations guiding strikes and industrial actions in the state’s public service.

About 316 of the doctors are from the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital while the remaining 472 came from other hospitals in the State. The doctors began the strike on April 24, after a three-day warning strike from April 11-13.

Source

Lagosians are not deceived by LASG's propaganda, but some of you on the internet forums like NL are taken in.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ngak: 8:57am On May 12, 2012
Propaganda in action. I thought lagos state had 1100 doctors......fired 788.........has employed 372 where are the 784 on ground working from, (he sacked doctors.......I went to randle to see for my self to find out that 2 doctors were coverind the entire hospital
Think what you may, but lagos state needs to be honest with us about the situation on ground as we are the ones going to the hospitals

1 Like

Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 12, 2012
@ all against fashiola, Is few newly employed doctors not better than none, or would u rather the strikin doctors stay outta office why people die every other day?
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by ishmael(m): 8:18am On May 13, 2012
ASUU should learn from this. No group of people are above being sacked and replaced with others. If they do anyhow they will see anyhow.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by doofanc: 9:14am On May 13, 2012
For their patented insolence, sexual incontinence, refusal to subject themselves to the authority of anyone not a doctor(even if he's their employer!) , inordinate pride, and the general but unfounded belief that they're God's greatest gift to mankind, Nigerian doctors, surely must take the crown as the most reviled, most detested in the world.

How can one even begin to defend the fiendishly callous act of abandoning critically ill patient just to partake in a strike?

The action of Fashiola must be commended which, it is hoped, will be replicted in other states where doctors may be tempted to tow the line of their frustrated Lagos counterparts.
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Mynd44: 9:47am On May 13, 2012
The doctors dared the government and their bluff was called. Now is the time for them to come back to settle this. The doctors will do well to think along this line least they find themselves jobless and homeless
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by phantom(m): 11:06am On May 13, 2012
Mynd_44: The doctors dared the government and their bluff was called. Now is the time for them to come back to settle this. The doctors will do well to think along this line least they find themselves jobless and homeless
grin grin...its lagosians that will suffer...not the doctors...make no mistake about it!
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by Rhino5dm: 11:15am On May 13, 2012
Are you not tired of peddling thesame lies over and over? For your info, the replacement process is very fast and many doctors are now attending to patients. The wicked must be put to shame. DoctorHaram!!

phantom:
grin grin...its lagosians that will suffer...not the doctors...make no mistake about it!
Re: Lagos: ‘why Doctors Were Fired’. by phantom(m): 11:30am On May 13, 2012
ekt_bear:

Power drunk undecided

you are fairly rational too....what would you do?these doctors are complaining that an agreement signed since 2009 has not been implemented and you see nothing wrong with it
the lagos state government is telling lagosians that anytime doctors strike its because they want more money.THATS A BIG FAT LIE....this current strike is due to the fact that the lagos state govt has not honoured its 2009 agreement.Pure and simple.lets leave sentiments aside.
WAS THERE AN AGREEMENT?YES
HAS IT BEEN HONOURED?NO
the truth is that there are provisions in the medical salary scale the lagos state govt is not willing to look into.rivers state govt was held to ransom by its doctors not too long ago.amaechi came out and agreed to pay 70% of conmess (house officer earns 180+) and brand new cars for all.brand new cars at 6-7million * 600 doctors= 3.6bn which is far less than what he would have to pay in the long run if he decided to pay %100.
Now no state doctor in rivers will open his mouth and scream strike till amaechi leaves....That is wisdom!

(1) (2) (Reply)

jmaine:: Electricity:: After $16 Billion On Electricity Down The Drain. / Abacha's Man, Senator Atiku Bagudu Who Dumped PDP For APC Wants To Be Governor / Buhari:i Changed My Mind On Voting Buhari After Reading This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.