Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them (9998 Views)

Still A Christian? When Was The Last Time You Did Any Of These? / If Your Fellowship Holds These Teachings, Then It's Time You Moved On / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 12:42pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: @Goshen360

What exactly do you mean by "divers" tongues?

cool

Divers means different tongues and tongues means languages. Divers tongues was what was given on the day of Pentecost and it is for spreading the gospel to divers or different language speaking nations. This is the "one" that has ceased or will cease.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 12:57pm On May 10, 2012
Thanks. But what about the "tongues" of 'today', is that not meant to be human languages also?

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 1:21pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: Thanks. But what about the "tongues" of 'today', is that not meant to be human languages also?

cool

Tongues of today is the "unknown" tongues IN PRAYING. It's different from "SPEAKING" divers tongues. The "speaking" is what Paul said, if there is no one to interpret, the speaker should keep quiet in the church. People misunderstand both and even misuse the one that is approved in the church.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 1:56pm On May 10, 2012
Thanks again. But then again, what about the tongues in the two examples below; were they "praying tongues" or "speaking tongues"?

Were they used to "speak" or preach the gospel to anyone? Further, how do we know which is which?

Finally, is the "praying tongues" also human languages?

Acts 10:46
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Acts 19:6
And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by ijawkid(m): 2:14pm On May 10, 2012
@goshen....my bro they have all ceased...
Wether praying or speaking....all gifts of speaking in tongues have ceased...they'v been done away with..

Paul never distinguished tongues when he wrote those verses,I wonder where ur geting ur analogy from...

U guys have run away from d main reason why tongues we're giving as a gift and focusing on ur own presumpteous steps...

I can't believe u guys are now differentiating tongues.....
Where did u hear that??

Tongues is tongues....

The 1 all christians spoke @ pentecost is d same tongues paul was discussing in other parts of d scriptures....

They were all for a sign to unbelievers....

So d main focus was using those various tongues to spread d gospel,which d churches today can't do because d power is not there anymore..

And so u guys resort to speaking rubbish and call it tongue....

I won't argue this any further..

U can keep repeating in-cohorent words,blabbing over gibberish and then thinking its speaking in tongues....

The truth is clear....

Its all a scam....

Imagine people been taught how to speak in tongues!!!!

Some even have speaking in tongues classes!!!

Some have holy ghost classes!!!

Where in d bible were people taught hw to speak in tongues

Scam scam scam!!!!!!!!!!..

I'm off...

BUZUGEE where are u??

1 Like

Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 3:00pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: Thanks again. But then again, what about the tongues in the two examples below; were they "praying tongues" or "speaking tongues"?

Were they used to "speak" or preach the gospel to anyone? Further, how do we know which is which?

Finally, is the "praying tongues" also human languages?

Acts 10:46

Acts 19:6

cool

The tongues spoken in Acts (both examples you gave) they are KNOWN tongues SPOKEN to preach on the message of the gospel. The gospel just started spreading at that time of the early stage of the church. My point is, Paul talked about "praying" in UNKNOWN tongues and it is UNTO God, NOT to man. If there is a well known tongues or language "spoken" in Acts and others heard it, it simply means that is a KNOWN as well as a SPOKEN tongues that people understand. This is the same one Paul was referring to when he said, when you "speak", you either interpret or someone interprets.

But when it comes to the one of "praying" to God, You don't need interpreter to God or to man. Paul said in this case, it is your spirit that prays and your understanding is unfruitful. This i dont believe it has or will cease. I believe the one in Acts had ceased because the bible had been translated into many languages now and if the bible is yet to be translated into ALL languages of the world, then it has not ceased yet but will cease after the whole world has the bible in ALL languages.

Ask me more if it is not yet clear sir.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 3:05pm On May 10, 2012
The problem with what you are saying so far is that the "tongues" in the two examples I gave i.e. Acts 10:46 and Acts 19:6 were not used to preach the gospel.

Are you now saying that the unknown tongues are also used to preach the gospel?

Also, you didn't deal with my other question: are the unknown tongues also human languages?

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Okijajuju1(m): 3:14pm On May 10, 2012
I just asked God and he dosent speak nor hear gibberish!
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 3:19pm On May 10, 2012
ijawkid: @goshen....my bro they have all ceased...
Wether praying or speaking....all gifts of speaking in tongues have ceased...they'v been done away with..

Paul never distinguished tongues when he wrote those verses,I wonder where ur geting ur analogy from...

U guys have run away from d main reason why tongues we're giving as a gift and focusing on ur own presumpteous steps...

Where did u hear that??

Tongues is tongues....

The 1 all christians spoke @ pentecost is d same tongues paul was discussing in other parts of d scriptures....

So d main focus was using those various tongues to spread d gospel,which d churches today can't do because d power is not there anymore..

U can keep repeating in-cohorent words,blabbing over gibberish and then thinking its speaking in tongues....

The truth is clear....

Its all a scam....

I'm off...

BUZUGEE where are u??

My brother, one thing is you need to cool down a bit. Okay. I will advice you to take different translations and study this subject. And please, don't just hold on to the fact that what you already know is TRUE and CORRECT. You must be willing to learn or open to other thought. I know fully that the speaking in Acts if for spreading the gospel. Weather that has ceased or not, the answer to that is HAS THE BIBLE BEING FULLY WRITTEN IN "ALL" LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD? If the answer to this question is YES. Then I am of the opinion that the Speaking HAS CEASED. But if the answer to the question is NO, then the Speaking in "different" languages has not ceased. Though it will cease. This is where we need to answer first.

Second, Paul made a clear distinction between "Speaking" and "praying". When you "speak", you speak unto men and if they don't understand you like people understand the Apostles in their own languagues in Acts, then YOU NEED AN INTERPRETER OR INTERPRET BY YOURSELF.

Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 1 cor 14:13 nkjv

When you "pray" in "unknown" tongues, you pray to God. This is "unknown" to the man praying because his understanding is unfruitful.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 1 cor 14:14 nkjv

What kind of tongue is referred to here in 14:14, we look at the KJV

For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

When something is UNKNOWN, it is simple UNKNOWN. It therefore means THERE IS KNOWN. The "known" tongues was manifested in the day of Pentecost but also, there is UNKNOWN tongues, ONLY TO BE USED IN PRAYING. The misuse or abuse is what am against in our churches.

I hope this is clear but if not, ask me more sir.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 3:23pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: The problem with what you are saying so far is that the "tongues" in the two examples I gave i.e. Acts 10:46 and Acts 19:6 were not used to preach the gospel.

Are you now saying that the unknown tongues are also used to preach the gospel?

Also, you didn't deal with my other question: are the unknown tongues also human languages?

cool

Did you read my post well? I didn't say so.....let me quote myself again. The "tongues" in Acts WERE USED TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL. There is an UNKNOWN tongues used in praying ONLY, not the KNOWN TONGUES USED WHEN THE CHURCH STARTED TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL.
Goshen360:

The tongues spoken in Acts (both examples you gave) they are KNOWN tongues SPOKEN to preach on the message of the gospel. The gospel just started spreading at that time of the early stage of the church. My point is, Paul talked about "praying" in UNKNOWN tongues and it is UNTO God, NOT to man. If there is a well known tongues or language "spoken" in Acts and others heard it, it simply means that is a KNOWN as well as a SPOKEN tongues that people understand. This is the same one Paul was referring to when he said, when you "speak", you either interpret or someone interprets.

But when it comes to the one of "praying" to God, You don't need interpreter to God or to man. Paul said in this case, it is your spirit that prays and your understanding is unfruitful. This i dont believe it has or will cease. I believe the one in Acts had ceased because the bible had been translated into many languages now and if the bible is yet to be translated into ALL languages of the world, then it has not ceased yet but will cease after the whole world has the bible in ALL languages.

Ask me more if it is not yet clear sir.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 3:27pm On May 10, 2012
I read your post well, Goshen. smiley

I understand you are saying the tongues in Acts (edit including my two examples) were used to spread the gospel. But I have just shown you (my) two examples of "tongues" in the same Acts that were not used to spread the gospel!

Also, I still would be grateful (not compulsory of course) if you would answer this question: are unknown tongues also human languages?

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 3:35pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: I read your post well, Goshen. smiley

I understand you are saying the tongues in Acts were used to spread the gospel. But I have just shown you two examples of "tongues" in the same Acts that were not used to spread the gospel!

Also, I still would be grateful (not compulsory of course) if you would answer this question: are unknown tongues also human languages?

cool

Unknown tongues are NOT human tongues/languages. They are utterances that the Holy Ghost gives in the acts of praying.

1 Like

Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 3:39pm On May 10, 2012
So how do we know:

1. whether the tongues in Acts 10:46 were "spoken tongues" OR unknown tongues?

2. whether the tongues in Acts 19:6 were "spoken tongues" OR unknown tongues?

3. whether the tongues in 1 Corinthians were "spoken tongues" OR unknown tongues?

Also, please clarify where Paul or any other of the apostles made a distinction between "spoken tongues" and unknown tongues.

I realise I'm simply asking questions for now; I will also be happy to present another view of understanding "tongues".

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 4:31pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: So how do we know:

1. whether the tongues in Acts 10:46 were "spoken tongues" OR unknown tongues?

2. whether the tongues in Acts 19:6 were "spoken tongues" OR unknown tongues?

In Acts, the church just began. The purpose of "tongues" or different KNOWN languages given by the Power of the Holy Spirit is still to spread the gospel with other manifestation such as healing, miracles, prophesy, knowledge etc. I believe they are KNOWN because this is the manifestation as seen of the day of Pentecost. Now, Cornelius was chosen by God to be part of the spreading of the gospel, the gift of tongues at this time was manifesting like that of the day of Pentecost, that is why (I believed) the bible says, "For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God". Acts 2 just told us the kind of tongues that was spoken, KNOWN tongues and if Acts 10:46 and 19:6 is NOT specific, we are left with the option of the KNOWN tongues since this is the kind of tongues operating at this time.

Enigma: So how do we know:

3. whether the tongues in 1 Corinthians "spoken tongues" OR unknown tongues?

Here in 1 cor. 14. The tongues referred to is in relation to SPEAKING to man/church/God. There is also the tongues in relation to "praying" to God. KJV makes it clearer that in verse 2 and 14 of 1 cor 14, that the tongue in those verses are "UNKNOWN" while when it deals "Speaking" to church, if there is no interpreter, then that person should be quiet. This is the misuse then and now. Maybe you should read verse by verse KJV and NKJV with other translations.

Also read Romans 8:26, Eph 6:18 and Jude 1:20 from different translations.

One translation has Jude 1:20 like this,

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Dear friends, use your most holy faith to grow. Pray with the Holy Spirit's help.

Now, if Romans 8:26 tells us that the Spirit helps us to pray with groanings which CANNOT BE EXPRESSED IN WORDS, I believe this is the unknown utterance that the Holy Ghost gives in the act of Praying. However, we should go about this in the church since we cannot understand it because it is an act of the Holy Spirit helping us to pray to God.

Maybe you need to present another view let's see. We can look at it together.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 10, 2012
Are the 'perceived' distinctions due to translation errors?

For Christians, are 'tongues' that important in your Christian walk? How do you differentiate between 'rarararraa' and 'robobrobob'? Won't it be honest to admit that the fact that 'tongues' sound like nonsense, makes it avenue for copycats/mockers/winners holyghost class students to mimic/imitate?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 4:37pm On May 10, 2012
^
Holy Ghost class and those stuffs is where they are wrong. I don't submit to that. The Holy Spirit GIVES the utterances NOT going to class.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 6:49pm On May 10, 2012
@Goshen360

Neither Paul nor any of the other apostles made this distinction you are making between tongues "spoken" and "unknown" tongues.

Let us start with the word "unknown". If you look carefully in the KJV the word "unknown" in the context of the gift of tongues is always written in brackets like this - [unknown]. Do you know why? Simple, the KJV added the word "unknown" for purported clarification. Check other Bible versions/translations and see if they all add the word "unknown".

For Paul and the apostles, as far as we can see, "tongues" was just "tongues". The evidence we have is that it refers to languages ---- languages that are not the [primary] languages of the person(s) given the gift of tongues. This is why I kept asking if the "unknown" tongues was 'languages' or not. As there is no distinction made by the apostles as to 'tongues' ----- just 'tongues' ---- and as the evidence we have is that the 'tongues' spoken by the early Christians refers to languages, the conclusion is that 'tongues' whether in Acts or in 1 Corinthians refers to languages.
'
The one quibble that someone can raise is the statement of Paul in 1 Cor 13 i.e. 'if I speak in the tongues of men or of angels'. Context suggests to us that he was speaking figuratively. Compare "if I swim the oceans or climb the mountains". There is no evidence or even indication that any of the early Christians spoke in the "tongue of angels". The only "tongues" they spoke were languages ------------ tongues of men.

Praying in the Spirit does not automatically mean praying in "tongues". The Spirit could even enable one's prayers in one's own language or 'tongue' e.g. Yoruba.

What I have said by no means suggests that the Spirit cannot still give a person the gift and power of tongues today. However, the picture I would expect would be of someone not previously knowing a foreign language being given the power and gift to speak that language in witness --- e.g. a Nigerian being given the gift and power to speak in say Chinese, Japanese or Arabic.

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 6:57pm On May 10, 2012
Joagbaje: @ ijawkid

There's is a difference between the gift of Diversity of tongues and and praying in Tongues. Diversity of tongues is ability to speak in earthly unlearned language. Thus is not prayer but to speak the word of God to people in their language or any unlearned language . Not every body has this gift. But praying in tongues is a communion with God in a heavenly language which also edify ones self . It's a necessity for every christian .

There's tongues of men and heavenly language or tongues of angels.

1 Corinthians 13:1
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal

Praying in tongues is also called praying in the spirit. Because its a heavenly language it doesn't have to be in earthly words . Heavely communication is different . Repetition may be there. God calls it stammering lips.

Isaiah 28:11
For with stammering lips and another tongue. will he speak to this people .

Because its a heavenly communication with God, one word could mean several things. The" rabaraba" means different things. Take for example someone "laughing " in the spirit yet in the spirit realm it means something. Some groan in the spirit ,like Jesus did at the grave of Lazarus ,yet each groan ,means different things.

Romans 8:26-27
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God

A groan is not a human language . When birds of animal communicate among themselves it seems they are saying thesame thing each time we hear their sound ,yet in their own realm they say different things.

ok oga Jo is officially the CHRISTIAN HOUDINI grin grin its official. the CONTORTIONIST.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 7:00pm On May 10, 2012
jmoore:

Now I know, you dey work for NEPA.

na u sabi, Are you allergic to the word? It is a common word
kingpin Jmoore the carnal man grin grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 7:04pm On May 10, 2012
Image123: "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." (1 Corinthians 13:cool.
They shall cease is different from they have ceased. It's still a big world it seems.
yup big difference. somehow with this topic i dont think anyone can supply an ABSOLUTE answer.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2012
ijawkid: @goshen....my bro they have all ceased...

Where did u hear that??

Tongues is tongues....

The truth is clear....

Its all a scam....

I'm off...

BUZUGEE where are u??
my bros i dey here dey read all of una posts. Good read too. grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 7:18pm On May 10, 2012
Okija_juju: I just asked God and he dosent speak nor hear gibberish!
grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 7:22pm On May 10, 2012
Enigma: I read your post well, Goshen. smiley

I understand you are saying the tongues in Acts (edit including my two examples) were used to spread the gospel. But I have just shown you (my) two examples of "tongues" in the same Acts that were not used to spread the gospel!

cool
good question
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 9:11pm On May 10, 2012
@Goshen360

Let us try one more exercise.

From verse 6 in 1 Cor 14, Paul was discouraging the people from seeking so much to speak in tongues (or at least he was discouraging them from abusing speaking in tongues).

Could you go through the chapter again and consider: which type of "tongues" was Paul speaking about in the chapter? Was it the tongues spoken as in Acts or was it the "unknown" tongues?

cool
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 10:06pm On May 10, 2012
@ Enigma,

Yes, you are right! Paul exalts prophesy more than speaking in tongues vs 1. Now, in the NKJV, you don't have "unknown". If we read without the word, UKNOWN then we will be left with just "tongues".

Now, how do we explain it when Paul said in vs 2, he that speaks in tongues does not speak to man but to God for NO ONE understands him? How do we explain that? The only way we speak to God is IN PRAYER. If you then go down to vs 14, it also talks about praying in tongues. I don't even know what am praying because Paul says my understanding is unfruitful.

Now, if in (vs 2) Paul says, I speak to God and not to man and no man understand me BUT THE TONGUES SPOKEN IN ACTS WAS UNDERSTOOD BY MEN. So what is Paul saying? Can you decode that?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Enigma(m): 10:53pm On May 10, 2012
Very good questions, Goshen. I offer one explanation, one viewpoint.

For the first question i.e. "no one understands": paint this scenario. I come to visit you in New York and we meet with you and your family/crew. We decide to 'fellowship' together. Then, I start to speak in Chinese. None of you and your family/crew understands Chinese; even I do not understand Chinese. But here I am, on the face of it, praising God in Chinese.

No one understands me! Even I do not understand; only God does!

You see now that in such a situation, I am uttering "mysteries" unto God? "Mysteries" as far as my company, your family/crew, is concerned; "mysteries" even as far as I myself am concerned. Only God understands the "mysteries".

To part 2 of question 1 i.e. praying in tongues: of course if I'm speaking to God, praising God, speaking His wonderful works ----- I am thus praying to God. If I do it in a language that I do not understand, e.g. Chinese, then of course my understanding is unfruitful since I do not even know what I am saying! The positive is that I am "edified"; I am uplifted, I am elated, that the Spirit is evident in me and has spoken through and in me.

There is a little key to understanding these points: Paul is concerned about what the people were seeking. He was saying the people should be more concerned with spiritual gifts that will benefit the whole assembly e.g. prophecy; that is what they should be seeking more to receive; and less so gifts that could only really benefit an individual or so among the assembly.

Bear in mind also, that Paul reminded them of the original purpose of "tongues" as first given in Acts ----------- to witness especially, though not only, to unbelievers! What real use was it then among the Corinthian church at that particular time that it was what people were seeking instead of gifts that would be more beneficial to the whole community?

To question 2 i.e. that the tongues in Acts was understood by men: but of course! It was human languages; foreign human languages --- at least as heard and understood by the people in Acts 2. In Acts 10 Peter confirmed that the tongues of Cornelius' household was as that of Acts 2 ---- thus we can conclude that that as well must have been human languages. We have no reason to believe that the tongues in Acts 19 was any different.

Turning to 1 Corinthians 14 --- if we bear in mind that the people were seeking to speak in tongues, and this is what Paul plays down, then the logic that the 1 Cor 14 tongues as well must be human languages is easy to follow. The people too were seeking to be able to speak foreign human languages; Paul plays it down in saying it is not a bad thing per se for them to seek that (i.e. to seek what happened in Acts) but that it is better for them to seek even higher spiritual gifts.

Hope this helps. smiley

cool

1 Like

Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by ijawkid(m): 11:44pm On May 10, 2012
Ok let us for a second just believe that they weren't known languages,did the apostles repeat in-cohorent words when praying

Did they repeat words haphazardly over and over again just as we hear many today do??

Goshen for d last time just quietly confess to all of us that ur praying in tongues is not d same pattern with what we hear all over d churches in nigeria

Tatatatatatatapapapapapapapapapaboboboobobobobobob

Its crazy man!!

I'm out of here
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 11:57pm On May 10, 2012
ijawkid: Ok let us for a second just believe that they weren't known languages,did the apostles repeat in-cohorent words when praying

Did they repeat words haphazardly over and over again just as we hear many today do??

Goshen for d last time just quietly confess to all of us that ur praying in tongues is not d same pattern with what we hear all over d churches in nigeria

Its crazy man!!

I'm out of here
sounds like someone who has a fetish for tatas and spongebob squarepants grin grin

i think we can rightfully say, after reading all the posts that no one has an absolute truth on this topic.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 12:33am On May 11, 2012
ijawkid: Ok let us for a second just believe that they weren't known languages,did the apostles repeat in-cohorent words when praying

Goshen for d last time just quietly confess to all of us that ur praying in tongues is [size=20pt]not[/size] d same pattern with what we hear all over d churches in nigeria

Its crazy man!!

I'm out of here

Amen to this bruh. NO, I DON'T.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 12:39am On May 11, 2012
buzugee: sounds like someone who has a fetish for tatas and spongebob squarepants grin grin

i think we can rightfully say, after reading all the posts that no one has an absolute truth on this topic.

You may be right or wrong BUT I BELIEVE WE CAN KNOW THE TRUTH ON THIS SUBJECT IF WE DIG DEEP ON THE TOPIC, IF WE WANT TO.

@ Everyone,
Can we do verse by verse exposition on 1 Cor 14? It might take us some time just like the tithe,lolz grin We will go verse by verse explanation and from many translations
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 12:40am On May 11, 2012
Goshen360:

Amen to this bruh. NO, I DON'T.
grin oh boy ya new york knicks just useless this year sha. dem smack una commot for playoffs last night.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 12:43am On May 11, 2012
Goshen360:

You may be right or wrong BUT I BELIEVE WE CAN KNOW THE TRUTH ON THIS SUBJECT IF WE DIG DEEP ON THE TOPIC, IF WE WANT TO.

@ Everyone,
Can we do verse by verse exposition on 1 Cor 14? It might take us some time just like the tithe,lolz grin We will go verse by verse explanation and from many translations
no doubt no doubt. got the chapter open as we speak

1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atheists Please I Need An Explanation. Coincidence Or Reality? / Can One Be In A Relationship And Not Engage In Immoral Acts? / 28 Bible Verses About Love For One Another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.