Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? (1038 Views)

Read A Malam's Comment On A Facebook Thread About Biafra. Hilarious. / Why You Will Breakdown After Reading This Thread About Obj Monstrous Corruption / Can Someone Tell Me What Happened With My Thread About GEJ Declaring War? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Brixtonyute(m): 12:05am On May 10, 2012
Can someone please educate me on the history of Igbos?

I have seen loads of threads about Yoruba, Benin, and Hausa history and culture; but I'm yet to see one about Igbos.

Where did Igbos come from?

What is their culture like (that's if they have one)?

Are they really jews?

Please, I need an Igbo brethren to educate me.

Cheers!
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by NegroNtns(m): 12:32am On May 10, 2012
Please don't get them started! Their history will be filled with "first this", "best that", "most this". . . . they are second to none!
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by ak47mann(m): 12:57am On May 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Please don't get them started! Their history will be filled with "first this", "best that", "most this". . . . they are second to none!
you pretend to be conservative, but you cant help it but ur OPC abgero inbreed-ed in your DNA always give you away.You bloody Yoruba monkey.................

1 Like

Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by CyberG: 1:12am On May 10, 2012
Too bad Nigerians cannot ask questions or discuss things again without tribalism being injected into everything!
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by ak47mann(m): 1:13am On May 10, 2012
CyberG: Too bad Nigerians cannot ask questions or discuss things again without tribalism being injected into everything!
who is injecting tribal war here you prick.................
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Torch1(m): 1:23am On May 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Please don't get them started! Their history will be filled with "first this", "best that", "most this". . . . they are second to none!
CyberG: Too bad Nigerians cannot ask questions or discuss things again without tribalism being injected into everything!
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by CyberG: 1:58am On May 10, 2012
Answer the question, no need to derail it by picking on my comments! Throw a stone in the market and it goes to your kith and kin @ ABUSE!
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by OneNaira6: 3:10am On May 10, 2012
Brixtonye or whatever is still pretending to be non nigerian even after he was outed. Shame yet they still wonder why cowards term is given to am. Smfh

Dude lie about something that isnt easily disproven. In the culture section, there are tons of the thing you claim you've never seen started most by agbaworo, andre and the moderator of that section. Inside each igbo thread in that section most discussion transgendered into history. maybe you are too much of an 1diot to see it or maybe the pretense of being a non nigerian, is dulling ur brain cells.
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by achi4u(m): 4:39am On May 10, 2012
@op we are the CHOSEN one and modern day JEWS we came from the one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
God in his infinity mecy sent us to redeem the white washed image of this your kiaki country nigeria.thats why we're in every sector...doing better than you.

next question....
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by eamah: 4:50am On May 10, 2012
Asking the history of Igbos is like asking the history of the Earth. Igbo people have other important things to do than to sit down and come with some lunatic story on how oduduwa fuc_k his mother and gave birth to morons called Yoruba
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by EkoIle1: 4:52am On May 10, 2012
ibo people are the first to distribute pamphlets at the UN.
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Nobody: 5:06am On May 10, 2012
Honestly, we need to discuss history of Igbo people. A lot has been heard about Itsekiri, Urhobo, Ijaw, Yoruba, Bini and the associated migrations from, either factual, distorted, imaginary or embellished perspectives. Igbo folks should lead by educating us. Where do you come from?
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by eamah: 5:34am On May 10, 2012
I would have love to answer the question, but we've lived in Nigeria for so long that we cannot make up stories on where we came from. In other words, we ain't nomadic.
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Nobody: 8:40am On May 10, 2012
Igbos are descendants of jews! seriously? But jews arent cannibals and ritualists like clifford orji and osisikankwu. @OP u will be suprised to know that most igbos on nairaland do not know anything about themselves except biafra and ojukwu. Some of them have spent so many years in Lagos, Abuja, UK and the USA so much so that they can now longer speak their own language. SMH
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Yeske2(m): 9:25am On May 10, 2012
Our patriarch fell from heaven with a calabash and scattered the sand in the calabash. At least i was taught that in JSS.
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Nobody: 9:38am On May 10, 2012
True or false, I can't tell.

Source: http://www.qub.ac.uk/imperial/nigeria/origins.htm

The Igbo People – Origins and History

This page last revised 8 November 1999

Igboland is the home of the Igbo people and it covers most of Southeast Nigeria. This area is divided by the Niger River into two unequal sections – the eastern region (which is the largest) and the midwestern region. The river, however, has not acted as a barrier to cultural unity; rather it has provided an easy means of communication in an area where many settlements claim different origins. The Igbos are also surrounded on all sides by other tribes (the Bini, Warri, Ijaw, Ogoni, Igala, Tiv, Yako and Ibibio).

The origins of the Igbo people has been the subject of much speculation, and it is only in the last fifty years that any real work has been carried out in this subject:

...like any group of people, they are anxious to discover their origin and reconstruct how they came to be how they are. ...their experiences under colonialsim and since Nigeria’s Independence have emphasized for them the reality of their group identity which they want to anchor into authenticated history. (Afigbo, A.E.. ‘Prolegomena to the study of the culture history of the Igbo-Speaking Peoples of Nigeria’, Igbo Language and Culture, Oxford University Press, 1975. 28.)

Analysis of the sources that are available (fragmentary oral traditions and correlation of cultural traits) have led to the belief that there exists a core area of Igboland, and that waves of immigrant communities from the north and west planted themselves on the border of this core area as early as the ninth century. This core area – Owerri, Orlu and Okigwi – forms a belt, and the people in this area have no tradition of coming from anywhere else. Migration from this area in the recent past tended to be in all directions, and in this way the Igbo culture gradually became homogenized. In addition to this pattern of migration from this core area, other people also entered the Igbo territory in about the fourteenth or fifteenth centuries. Many of these people still exhibit different characteristics from that of the traditional Igbos – for example geographical marginality, the institution of kingship, a hierarchical title system and the amosu tradition (witchcraft). For some time some Igbo-speaking peoples claimed that they were not Igbo – the word was used as a term of abuse for “less cultured” neighbours. The word is now used in three senses, to describe Igbo territory, domestic speakers of the language and the language spoken by them.(see (A.E. Afigbo,1981: Ropes of Sand, Caxton Press,Ibadan. and T. Shaw:1970; "Igbo Ukwu: An Account of Archaeological Discoveries in Eastern Nigeria", Faber and Faber, pp. 268-285).

The first contact between Igboland and Europe came in the mid-fifteenth century with the arrival of the Portuguese. From 1434-1807 the Niger coast acted as a contact point between African and European traders, beginning with the Portuguese, then the Dutch and finally the English. At this stage there was an emphasis on trade rather than empire building, in this case the trade consisting primarily of Igbo slaves. With the abolition of the slave trade in 1807 came a new trading era, concentrating on industry (palm products, timber, elephant tusks and spices). At this point the British began to combine aggressive trading with aggressive imperialism. They saw the hinterland as productive, and refused to be confined to the coast. In 1900 the area that had been administered by the British Niger Company became the Protectorate on Southern Nigeria, also incorporating what had been called the Niger Coast Protectorate. Control of this area then passed from the British Foreign Office to the Colonial Office. Long before it had officially been conquered, Igboland was being treated as a British colony. Between 1900 and 1914 (when Northern and Southern Nigeria were amalgamated) there had been twenty-one British military expeditions into Igboland. In 1928 for the first time in their history, Igbo men were made to pay tax – they were a subject people.

This attempt to take over political control of Igboland met with resistance and cultural protest in the early decades of the twentieth century. A nativistic religious movement sprang up (the ekumeku) which inspired short-lived but feverish messianic enthusiasm. The rumours that the Igbo women were being assessed for taxation, sparked off the 1929 Aba Riots, a massive revolt of women never encountered before in Igbo history. However, the engine of imperialism could not be stopped, and once it had begun, Igbo culture would never be the same again.
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Beaf: 9:42am On May 10, 2012
^
There is no ethnic group called Warri, so that history must be dodgy. Warri has 3 indigenous ethnic groups; Urhobo, Ijaw and Itsekiri. There are also Ilaje farther out on the outskirts.
Re: How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL? by Anazp: 5:44pm On Sep 15, 2020
EkoIle1:
ibo people are the first to distribute pamphlets at the UN.

madness

(1) (Reply)

Bigotry And Hardline Posture The Causes Of BH, Plateau Crises - Simon Kolawole / OLYMPICS: “no Gold, No Silver, No Bronze, N2.3 Bn Down The Drain” / Innocent! Banker Yinka Johnson Released{pics Inside}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.