Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,108 members, 7,807,341 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? (2763 Views)

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong / What Tribe Do You Like Best And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by mimifonwon(f): 7:18am On May 11, 2012
so i noticed a trend that other than the bleaching that Eastern Nigerians seem to be super fair almost albinos, but not. I recently went to a family wedding, and though there were dark ones, includding myself, the mothers were all fair mine included. Anyways 3weeks agao I had lunch with my cousins who were born to igbo parents in usa, and a waiter walked up to my cousins and asked if they were cubans. We were like huh? the lady continues to explain that my cousins had columbian features, that was when my cousins said, umm we are igbos, maybe that is why. I decided to test their dnas 2 weeks ago to determine their ethnicity through african ancestry and another genology lab, then i did my own testing( I work in a genetic research lab). So we got the results, and it read, that they were 90% igbo, 10% kalabari. I also had my two other cousins from ijebu-igbo tested. They swore they were all 100% yoruba. for 7 generations they have only married ijebu-igbos, never left the yoruba land. So their test results according to dna said they were 54% yoruba, 40% igbo, and 6% unaccounted for. So this made me ask myself, does ijebu-igbo have a relation to igbos of eastern nigeria? My own 65% igbo, 25% yoruba, 10% fula. So my last question for you is, if you had the chance to find or approximate your genetic ethnic mixture would you do it?
Below the first two pictures are of my cousins from the east,

The last is their sister- I always swear she looks mixed, but again genetics and dna says they are not mixed with any european or asian blood-they are pure subharan africans.

then the third picture is my big sister and i. I am the skinny one, not the one with opean teeth. Most people say i look more fula than igbo or yoruba. What do you guys think?

Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by emofine2(f): 9:57am On May 11, 2012
Can one tell just from observation? It’s possible but not a secure method besides that means one must rely on stereotypes and it’s not to say that serotypes are necessarily born out of falsity but that some (in this case phenotypes) are not necessarily exclusive to a particular populace no matter how prevalent certain phenotypes are amongst a particular collective plus some groups are diverse.

To be honest it may also depend on how observant a person is; there are tell-tale signs that may not always be so obvious. Not all our guesses may be correct of course. And the fact we’re even guessing in the first place means we’re not 100% sure.

But let me indulge in this experiment even after being informed of these people’s ethnic background:

The guy in the second picture (to me) resembles very much a South African...probably one of the only hints that would have made me think otherwise was perhaps height differences assuming your cousin is tall.

Looking at the images of your female cousin and sister - South American springs to my mind.

To be honest I’m still finding it hard to reconcile you with being Nigerian/Igbo±. If you hadn't addressed what your background was I would have guessed perhaps Southern African and it’s not because I believe you don’t “look” Igbo etc but I think you as well as your relatives (well the ones you’ve posted a pic on and solely based on their pictures) have an ambiguous look.

Also light/dark may be relative because in your OP you described yourself as “dark” but I would have classified you as light.

As for me I’ve been guessed to be another nationality/tribe. And sometimes those reasons were a little laughable and flawed to me because after being informed of the template used to compare me with those other “tribes” to satisfy these guessers assumptions I thought to myself...well I doubt those basic features are unique to a specific group.

So my last question for you is, if you had the chance to find or approximate your genetic ethnic mixture would you do it?

Hmm perhaps although to be honest I doubt that will serve to affect me much or weigh in on my identity or how I choose to identify myself because even though I’m aware I have other admixtures that has never made me to re-evaluate the way I identify myself.

then the third picture is my big sister and i. I am the skinny one, not the one with opean teeth. Most people say i look more fula than igbo or yoruba. What do you guys think?

How much do you know about the Fula by the way?
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by odumchi: 12:28pm On May 11, 2012
I apologize for the inconvenience. smiley
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by ifyalways(f): 1:31am On May 12, 2012
Looks are deceptive so i don't work with just that.None of the people in the pictures you posted look Igbo to me undecided
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by cantell(m): 1:43am On May 12, 2012
ifyalways: Looks are deceptive so i don't work with just that.None of the people in the pictures you posted look Igbo to me undecided
I agree wit you, they don't look like Igbos to me in anyway.
But maybe it's the environment that changed them.
Igbos have distinct features and none of the features in those pictures match them.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by PhysicsQED(m): 3:30am On May 12, 2012
@OP, the simplest explanation for what you stated in your opening post is that some ethnic groups in Nigeria are related and therefore share certain genes.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by Afam4eva(m): 6:54pm On May 12, 2012
It's easier to tell if the person is from the lower-class of the society but more difficult if the person is from the upper-class except they open their mouth to speak then it will be easier.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:38pm On May 12, 2012
afam4eva: It's easier to tell if the person is from the lower-class of the society but more difficult if the person is from the upper-class except they open their mouth to speak then it will be easier.

whats your point
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by Afam4eva(m): 9:51pm On May 12, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

whats your point
Read it again, you'll understand. I just noticed that reading it from a different perspective paints a different picture. Maybe my english skill is not so good.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by somegirl1: 4:31pm On May 16, 2012
I think they look igbo or south eastern.
I know a full igbo man who looks just like the guy in the seconda photo.
The one in the first bears a striking resemblance to someone else only he is lighter skinned
I have and have had relatives who don't look pure subsaharan african, complexion and features.
My great great grandmother and her siblings are said to have been very light skinned like "nde ocha", light eyes and silky hair (no history of albinism in my family).
Don't know if there were mixed however
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by Antivirus92(m): 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2012
This ur post had looked very true to me until u jst diverted to a useless angle.dat ijebu has igbo attatched to it doesnt mean they have anything in common with the igbos.and again an igbo man can easily be distinguished from people of other tribes.if ijebu-igbo were igbos,their history wud speak for them and not you. I am an igbo myself.dat ur dna test is full of lies.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by Blyss: 5:18pm On Jul 11, 2012
I can tell what region they come from most times, though tribe is a bit difficult, because various ethnic groups within the same region often look exactly the same.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by Blyss: 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2012
mimifonwon: so i noticed a trend that other than the bleaching that Eastern Nigerians seem to be super fair almost albinos, but not. I recently went to a family wedding, and though there were dark ones, includding myself, the mothers were all fair mine included. Anyways 3weeks agao I had lunch with my cousins who were born to igbo parents in usa, and a waiter walked up to my cousins and asked if they were cubans. We were like huh? the lady continues to explain that my cousins had columbian features, that was when my cousins said, umm we are igbos, maybe that is why. I decided to test their dnas 2 weeks ago to determine their ethnicity through african ancestry and another genology lab, then i did my own testing( I work in a genetic research lab). So we got the results, and it read, that they were 90% igbo, 10% kalabari. I also had my two other cousins from ijebu-igbo tested. They swore they were all 100% yoruba. for 7 generations they have only married ijebu-igbos, never left the yoruba land. So their test results according to dna said they were 54% yoruba, 40% igbo, and 6% unaccounted for. So this made me ask myself, does ijebu-igbo have a relation to igbos of eastern nigeria? My own 65% igbo, 25% yoruba, 10% fula. So my last question for you is, if you had the chance to find or approximate your genetic ethnic mixture would you do it?
Below the first two pictures are of my cousins from the east,

The last is their sister- I always swear she looks mixed, but again genetics and dna says they are not mixed with any european or asian blood-they are pure subharan africans.

This is interesting, a large.. almost as large as the percentage of the slave brought to the US.. number of Igbo slaves were taken to Cuba. So it's a really good possibility that like Black Americans, a large amount of cubans may also carry the Igbo resemblance, via having a large Igbo gene pool.
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by Nobody: 3:21am On Sep 10, 2012
actually i can. smiley

ive been around and have been studying africans for a while now lol.
now i am getting better at not only identifying the region but also the tribe. cool
Re: Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? by MrsChima1(f): 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
Just by looking at them? No. I am realistic.

(1) (Reply)

South African Guys Are Not Hot Like The Ones In The Shaka Zulu Movie? / Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife / Check Out This Picture Of Igbo Ladies Back In The Precolonial Era

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.