Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

.NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested (17989 Views)

Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? / [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This / Please Help! Difficulty In Deploying A Finished And Running Vb.net Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Ayinkus(m): 9:00pm On Feb 04, 2008
gozzilla:

Ayinkus are you trying to kill the thread or discourage the group.
no software is perfect and no software that can not be improved on. keep up the work kobo and b not discouraged
the power of free software is in its ability to be updated at all time. all the university portals are just there update is slow and the interface is always terrible.

am in for the spirit this represents abit late but like some one said even if it is just to sit and look. am in.at least we are coming up.it reminds me of the unijos geek thing.but i think we will succeed.

this is just to say don't be discourage it is too early my friends.

email me the registration link nwolisag@yahoo.com expecting kobo and yinka to keep this job on.
@gozzilla, far from discouraging the group, it was merely information that I was privileged to.
It is also a discussion point, as we now know that the government in it's own way is also thinking like we are. Providing systems to share information.

I will elaborate on what I saw, this will give us an idea what and how we can produce something much better. I agree no software package is perfect but at least we can now understand the height of the bar we need to surpass.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Feb 05, 2008
Still waiting on an update from you @Ayinkus, Please fill us all in on what we are up against and how we can get an edge over them please.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Binary(m): 12:27pm On Feb 06, 2008
I m very happy for someone to come out with this ideal, it will help our country. I m interested, when are you goin to launch it. As a team will need to have site so that we can always get in touch with each other as when due.
To contact Me: 08055237857, btgroupservices@yahoo.com
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by gozzilla(m): 5:19pm On Feb 06, 2008
its like the blog is now refining itself only the serious in heart are stilll coming in. please lets do it.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by danex(m): 8:17pm On Feb 09, 2008
guys i just stumbled accross this thread. its an excellent idea.I'm a Software Developer and i'm most proficient in Java and Java Technologies. I also posses skills in: C++, MSSQL Server 2000, Linux Shell Scripting. My C# is a bit rusty and needs a little dusting. with 2wks of brush-up i could catch up with u guys. i'm in!

daniyeladigun@yahoo.com, 07038025189, 08057778413
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by wisemikky(m): 1:56pm On Feb 10, 2008
hi kobo,
if i reme,ber correctly, you sent me a mail with an assignment, which i did in asp.NEt and return immediately, up until today, i haven't heard the last of it.
am I in or what?
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Feb 10, 2008
wisemikky:

hi kobo,
if i reme,ber correctly, you sent me a mail with an assignment, which i did in asp.NEt and return immediately, up until today, i haven't heard the last of it.
am I in or what?

Are you sure you did return it?? I got not reply practically and so decided to build this thread so anyone who is really interested can sign up or not.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by MisterMan(m): 11:38am On Feb 14, 2008
I love the information that Ayinkus provided. What is the purpose of doing this in the first place? We thought this kind of thing did not exist. Now since we know that it exists, what next do we do? Since we have not started, why don't we look at something else that we can do to benefit the country. To me, we will just be re-inventing the wheel. The way some people sounded, it is as if we are in competition with some other people. To me that is not the reason why we are doing this. Reading this post, a lot of people will start raining abuses on me. When somebody can accuse Ayinkus of discouraging others when he was merely informing us of some information he was privileged to have, what will they say about me.

If there is a government department that has been charged with that function and obviously they are doing that, I feel we should let them know what we are coming up with and if there is anything that can be done to combine the two 'groups' together. If we don't go that route, I don't see any point in our doing it anyway. We are just about to start while they are already at the testing stage. So what is the point.

Mind you this is merely my opinion. If the group still feel we should continue, I will, though I don't see any reason why we should. We should come up with some other things that will be USEFUL for the country. In fact, there are some other things I have in mind too. I will keep it for now so that people will not feel I am killing a GOOD and BRIGHT idea so that I can push forward my own idea.

It is a good idea. It is a bright one. The question is: Do we continue when others are doing it? Others should come up with some other ideas. Yes I realise other people will say Yes, there was Windows before somebody came up with Linux. There are countless other packages from the mainstream. There was Internet Explorer yet there is Firefox as open and free alternative. That is precisely the point. Those people wanted to be sure that Microsoft will not dominate. They are competing with Microsoft. We are NOT competing with NESG or whatever the body is.

What do you think?
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by MisterMan(m): 12:49pm On Feb 14, 2008
Attn Please:
To: Tracy, Ahmed Guru, AyoTunde, bashtech, Binary, CPrompt, Danex, follasuk, Gozzilla, Kanirip, LordBenax, MikkyTrionze, Olabanji, Gabriel Oluwasegun, OpenSource

I am sure you are aware that KoboJunkie assigned some tasks to us. I don't understand what the task is all about. I have read it over and over again. What are we supposed to do? Here again is the task description:

We all need to download Visual Studio 2008 Express at least and SQL 2005 express at least for this project. Ajax is also needed and this will all be implemented on .NET 3.5. Those who do not have a way of getting the download should please go to www.asp.net

Is the task the downloading of VS 2008 Express or what? I contacted KoboJunkie over the task but up til now, there is no reply. Just update me and I think I can vounteer to do whatever the task is. I have also wanted to contact you privately, but then I don't know most of the members e-mail address. My internet connection has improved considerably now and while it is still OK, I want to be able to do as much as possible, that is if we still agree to continue with the project.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 1:28pm On Feb 14, 2008
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Yes, the task is to make sure that you get a copy of VS 2008 installed on your development machine and ready to go. If you do not know how to download it you can go on www.asp.net to get information on how to troubleshoot any problems you may have in getting it work.

About your first post. you do express some points in there but I would also like you to examine the reality of the continent we call africa in all this.My first question to you as a Nigerian is to inform me of how many projects you know of which have been assigned the government of Nigeria in the past 10 years, and have been carried out successfully and well maintained for at least 5 years since all your years as a Nigerian.

My second is why do you not believe that if we provide an alternative, for those who are not satisfied with what is out there, we will be doing the wrong thing??

My Third is what about the private schools and the many schools that are not in Nigeria, do you not think they could benefit from us in some way

Should Operating Systems projects be shut down then cause Microsoft already had one in place I mean there seems to be new OS programs coming up across the world by the year, why do they continue if the logic should be since it already exists, no need doing it again and maybe even doing it better??
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by samm(m): 3:17am On Feb 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

About your first post. you do express some points in there but I would also like you to examine the reality of the continent we call africa in all this.My first question to you as a Nigerian is to inform me of how many projects you know of which have been assigned the government of Nigeria in the past 10 years, and have been carried out successfully and well maintained for at least 5 years since all your years as a Nigerian.

My second is why do you not believe that if we provide an alternative, for those who are not satisfied with what is out there, we will be doing the wrong thing??

My Third is what about the private schools and the many schools that are not in Nigeria, do you not think they could benefit from us in some way

Should Operating Systems projects be shut down then cause Microsoft already had one in place I mean there seems to be new OS programs coming up across the world by the year, why do they continue if the logic should be since it already exists, no need doing it again and maybe even doing it better??

Simple! I don't get why a project has to be killed because something similar is in the works. Folks, concentrate on this project. There are so many things to gain and virtually nothing to loose. Worst case, you gained a great experience and and increased your network of like-minded friends.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by bashtech: 5:40pm On Feb 15, 2008
Attn Software Preparation Team:

To: Tracy, Ahmed Guru, AyoTunde, bashtech, Binary, CPrompt, Danex, follasuk, Gozzilla, Kanirip, LordBenax, MikkyTrionze, Olabanji, Gabriel Oluwasegun, OpenSource

I am a member of Pipeline Project Preparation team, I will suggest meeting on Week-end, something like Saturday night or Sunday night(Time from 8:30pm-10:00pm) but let others think over this.

We can communicate through Yahoo Messenger - Conference Chat.

Remember these hints pls:

Be sensitive to cultural differences

It's possible that your virtual team all thinks and acts the same way. However, more and more virtual teams consist of people from multiple countries and cultures. If you are the project manager on this type of team, make sure you have some appreciation for the differences in how people work and how they behave.

Communicate, communicate, communicate

You need to be extra proactive in your communications to make sure everyone understands what is expected. People can start to feel isolated if they do not receive regular communications. It is hard enough to keep everyone informed on a "regular" project. The communication lines on a virtual team must be opened up especially wide. As project manager, you can provide this steady stream of communication.

Adjust and compromise on time differences

Remember that what's convenient for you may not always be convenient to the team members. I was on a project team at a large global company where the manager insisted that team meetings start at 9:00 am. That was convenient for him but resulted in hard feeling from people in other locations who needed to stay very late for these meetings.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by lordbenax(m): 10:42am On Feb 16, 2008
Hey kobojunkie and others sorry for the long absence i hope i have not been exempted from this big project. Its cos of skool. How far have we gone? Let me in on the latest info. lordbenax@yahoo.com or knightbenax@hotmail.com. I am working on a new techonology which i think would help the database part of the project. Its going to be called the EXODUS or something similar. I am ready to give it to the board for ths project free.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Feb 16, 2008
I have sent out at least 2 task emails by now. Please check your emails and respond appropriately.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by lordbenax(m): 4:31pm On Feb 16, 2008
Yo! kobo i checked my mail but didnt see any tasks from anyone. About the VS 2008 beta, i dont have any way to get it. The only option i tried which is downloading is relatively so and breaks like hell. I have VS 2005 would that be okay? I dont know much stuff about SQL server but on fire with oracle. I am counting on someone to guide me through with the SQL server. Though i have got the .NETFRAMEWORK 3.5 redistribute package.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Feb 16, 2008
There is a guy in this Programming thread who is offering people a way to get the Visual Studio 2008 Express version. You can look at his post for help on how to get it. You can also get SQL Express through him and then play around with it for sometime. I mean SQL is SQL and since you are coming from Oracle, it will not be hard. I myself have had to do some pl/sql lately and I am sure going to doing only SQL will not be too hard for you.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by bashtech: 12:01am On Feb 17, 2008
Attn Software Preparation Team:

I suggest all the members of the Software Preparation team to consider following Software Design Steps, so that we adhere to standard in Software Preparation and Documentation.

Our first task in this project will be the following:

ANALYSIS

* Introduction
* Fact finding
* Description of the current system

Process flow (DFD both logical and physical for the current system)
Problems and limitation of the current system
Scope and constrain of the current system

* Requirement specification for new system

Pls let us know, among the Software preparation team who r ready for d project, so you can reply via the nairaland or through viewpath.net Collaboration website.

And remember we still need to discuss on better online meeting scheduling.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by somze(f): 12:04am On Feb 17, 2008
Dude
No one uses DFD no more . . . Gees.
Ever heard of UML - much better way to represent OOPs and clients tend to understand them better.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by bashtech: 2:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
@ Somze,

Fine a better idea is always welcome, infact anything that will help in making this project a success we need it.

@ Preparation Team

So our Preparation Team where are you ? Wanted to hear a good respond from interested volunteers.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by lordbenax(m): 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2008
Yo! My access to viewpath has not been authenticated. I tried logging but i couldnt, i tried my both e-mail addys and the passwords but i couldnt log in. How do i fix this?
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2008
I will check on that and see what may be going on @Benax

@Somze and Bastech,

If you two want to go ahead and decide what model we will use then, be my guest.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 6:18pm On Feb 18, 2008
I just tried logging in with the information that was sent and it worked with no problems @Benax, What message do you get when you try?
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by lordbenax(m): 6:23pm On Feb 18, 2008
I am getting the invalid credentials message. Which info did you enter?
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by eHeart: 9:39pm On Feb 18, 2008
Hi fellow Nigerian Programmers,
I just joined nairaland becos of this topic and it gladens my heart to see this topic being discussed here and acted upon.
I am a programmer my self wiv backgroung in VB(6 & .net), C++,database(SQL 7.0 - 2005) . i will like to be one of the pillars of this project and in fact I have started a 32bit of an application of this type and architecture. I wouldnt mind to share my idea with great thinkers like you guys, God bless us.God bless Nigeria.  thanks
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 9:41pm On Feb 18, 2008
eHeart:

Hi fellow Nigerian Programmers,
I just joined nairaland because of this topic and it gladens my heart to see this topic being discussed here and acted upon.
I am a programmer my self with backgroung in VB(6 & .net), C++,database(SQL 7.0 - 2005) . i will like to be one of the pillars of this project and in fact I have started a 32bit of an application of this type and architecture. I wouldnt mind to share my idea with great thinkers like you guys, God bless us.God bless Nigeria. thanks

Please do share your idea. We are open and right now working on the plan as we speak. Waiting to get an update on the status but please feel free to tell us what you have and how it can benefit us.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by eHeart: 10:40pm On Feb 18, 2008
Thanks kobojunkie,
first of all i would like to know if a system study of how a typical nigerian school runs both administratively and acacdemically. also if this study is going to be performed for the different level of the 6-3-3-4 system
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 10:49pm On Feb 18, 2008
eHeart:

Thanks kobojunkie,
first of all i would like to know if a system study of how a typical nigerian school runs both administratively and acacdemically. also if this study is going to be performed for the different level of the 6-3-3-4 system

At the moment we are going to be working off of what we have to start with. most of the developers on board happen to be in Nigeria and have base idea of the way the system runs and so we want to start with some thing basic that can be customized to fit what is available at different schools in the country and abroad. If you want to do a study like that to help, please feel free to do so.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by eHeart: 11:07pm On Feb 18, 2008
Well kobojunkie,
I am not a fan of "copy and paste" but a disciple of "weeding and planting". what I mean by that is that I think our(nigerian) edu. system is quite different from the American. I will suggest we look at both and compare and contrast. then we see which systems we can integrate and adapt to suit and improve the nigerian system.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 11:10pm On Feb 18, 2008
eHeart:

Well kobojunkie,
I am not a fan of "copy and paste" but a disciple of "weeding and planting". what I mean by that is that I think our(nigerian) edu. system is quite different from the American. I will suggest we look at both and compare and constrast. then we see which systems we can integrate and adapt to suit and improve the nigerian system.
This has never been about the American system at all. I believe majority on those working on this project have knowledge of what the Nigerian system is like and like I said what we need to start off with is a basic product that can then be modified to suit the need at different schools in Nigeria and other schools in other african countries. I do not think that the fact that it is not same as the American system will impact us much since we are not working with the American school model in mind at all.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by eHeart: 11:24pm On Feb 18, 2008
I can see that the SW dev. team have mapped out their SDLC. how do we no their current status?
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 11:34pm On Feb 18, 2008
Nothing has been mapped yet. We still need to meet on the weekend to decide what to do next and when.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by kanirip: 2:48pm On Feb 19, 2008
Hello All,

Please if a meeting time has not been decided, I will be available for any sort of e-meeting over the weekends that would
be fine for me.

And regarding Federal Govts Plan to create a similar application to what we are planning, My advise is not to worry too much about that!

As long as it is the Nigerian Govt, there is a high probability it will never get off the ground. You will not believe the amount of politics that goes into any Government Project!
Lets us continue with what we are doing I'm sure ours will at least be better than whatever the Nigerian Govt. can bring up, either in cost or quality!

Now with regards to the system, please can someone give me some sort of Software Boundaries stating exactly what the Software WILL and WILL NOT do cos right now I still don't know( Please don't be angry @ me Kobo! wink

The Net Support App Kobo recommended does so much its quite incomprehensile that our application should be done according or following such precidents.

So any help on the Software Functionality would be nice!

K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gmail, Youtube, Google Docs And Other Services Go Down Simultaneously / Are All Interns Like This? / How To Convert Numbers To Words In Excel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.