Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

African Culture, Nigeria -my View - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Culture, Nigeria -my View (1905 Views)

African Culture Is Dying! / Western Culture Vs African Culture / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Culture, Nigeria -my View by VOfficialR(m): 8:12am On May 12, 2012
Talking about the African culture and boasting of it now is nothing close to a discussion of now -it's that of years around 80s, when the westerners have not infected too much of us.
My view about the african culture now is that of a weak culture, a culture ashamed of itself. We have traded our beautiful heritage for the used westerners'. The westerners have robbed us off our beautiful culture with no hope of accepting us into their world. Especially in Nigeria, we are discarded by the world and can't still find solitude in our domain i.e. We are running away from our culture and are not accepted by theirs, we are somewhere in the middle.
African culture is nothing now but a mirage of the past, a culture with lost heritage...

2 Likes

Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Fulaman198(m): 7:59pm On May 12, 2012
V_Official®:
Talking about the African culture and boasting of it now is nothing close to a discussion of now -it's that of years around 80s, when the westerners have not infected too much of us.
My view about the african culture now is that of a weak culture, a culture ashamed of itself. We have traded our beautiful heritage for the used westerners'. The westerners have robbed us off our beautiful culture with no hope of accepting us into their world. Especially in Nigeria, we are discarded by the world and can't still find solitude in our domain i.e. We are running away from our culture and are not accepted by theirs, we are somewhere in the middle.
African culture is nothing now but a mirage of the past, a culture with lost heritage...

That's only in Nigeria though, go one country North (Niger) and you will see a different story. Mali as well. It's kind of odd how by Western standards the countries with the least amount of money are the least Westernized. But I admire those countries for keeping their traditions and heritage. Chad and Sudan are also more traditional than Nigeria. The richer a country is, the more westernized it seems to be. Therefore take a look at South Africa and Egypt which at the moment are richer than Nigeria. They are both more Westernized than Nigeria.
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by VOfficialR(m): 10:30pm On May 12, 2012
yeah, mathematically.... Nigeria is poor!! when the land is rich but the people are poor- what can we say to that? i am not seeing us better or worse than any of those countries listed above. do u remember when we were "Giants of Africa"? before turning into "great people great nation". nothing is getting better in Nigeria, the ONLY thing i know that recently got cheaper in Nigeria is the price for obtaining Plate numbers and drivers licence-- what pisses me off is even our so called "yahoo guys" i was initially a fan (in writing) as i trimmed it to the "revenge of slave trade" but it has now lacked it savour... we are not improving (not politicians o) and we don't even want to... The same way our fore fathers are making charcoal is the same way the next generation will or worst... we are not unique at all, but is it coz of our skin colour?

1 Like

Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Fulaman198(m): 11:14pm On May 12, 2012
V_Official®:
yeah, mathematically.... Nigeria is poor!! when the land is rich but the people are poor- what can we say to that? i am not seeing us better or worse than any of those countries listed above. do u remember when we were "Giants of Africa"? before turning into "great people great nation". nothing is getting better in Nigeria, the ONLY thing i know that recently got cheaper in Nigeria is the price for obtaining Plate numbers and drivers licence-- what pisses me off is even our so called "yahoo guys" i was initially a fan (in writing) as i trimmed it to the "revenge of slave trade" but it has now lacked it savour... we are not improving (not politicians o) and we don't even want to... The same way our fore fathers are making charcoal is the same way the next generation will or worst... we are not unique at all, but is it coz of our skin colour?

Nothing to do with skin colour my friend, like you said we were once the giants of Africa. It is all about a failed leadership
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by VOfficialR(m): 8:52am On May 13, 2012
Leadership..?? is that not we've been insinuating since it got spoilt to this level? we know we have a problem, not only with leadership but also with people(every one of us)... n no one is not seeming to find any solution- none that i know of
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by ifyalways(f): 9:17am On May 13, 2012
Was there actually a time that Naija was the 'giant of Africa' ? Giants in which aspects btw? Methinks that Phrase exists and was coined out of our imaginations.
I could be wrong though,birthed in the mid 8's,perhaps i missed out on the golden and glorious 'giant of Africa' days.lol
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Fulaman198(m): 9:27pm On May 13, 2012
ifyalways: Was there actually a time that Naija was the 'giant of Africa' ? Giants in which aspects btw? Methinks that Phrase exists and was coined out of our imaginations.
I could be wrong though,birthed in the mid 8's,perhaps i missed out on the golden and glorious 'giant of Africa' days.lol

Before most of us were born 70s up until the 80s. Nigeria had one of the Worlds strongest currency at the time where 1 Naira = 2 USD. You can not really blame the people, you can but not as much as you can with the people in power. We entrust the people in power to look out for us and our wishes, however that has not happened since the reign of Babangida, to Abacha, to fake presidents like Yar'adua and Obasanjo. The money is only going to a select few and not the people in the country. There are hungry and starving people. For a country to be successful, the people must be self-sufficient by any means.

A lot of brilliant people have left Naija for Saudi Arabia, England, U.S.A, France, Germany, etc. etc. We need these brains back in Nigeria in order to make us have a positive outlook for our future and for our childrens, grandchildren's and great grand children's future.

I myself am I'm 28, and I need to improve if I am ever to help Nigeria. We all have to improve. We need to get rid of our ethnic conflicts, who cares if we are Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Fulani, Ijaw, Ibibio, Kanuri, Edo, etc. etc. We are all Nigerian, we are all black, we need to come together and make something out of this great nation. I follow the ideals of the late musician/farmer from Mali who won 2 grammy awards (Ali Farka Touré). He said something along these lines. It is about national pride, where is Nigeria's national pride? The leaders are severely lacking in it. They allow Westerners and others to continue to look down upon us and laugh at us. Our country not only lacks national pride, but identity. As Africa's potential giants we need leaders with an AIM to catch up and surpass China and India within the next 15 years. It can be done!!!!!!!! With Nigeria's man power, educational level, and national resources there is no reason why it can not be done.
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by VOfficialR(m): 5:28pm On May 14, 2012
i read, my grandpa added... initially before independence- before green, white and green... Nigerian flag was symbolized with an Elephant and a Horse... During those good old days (before my father's birth smiley ), Nigerian airways had an Elephant as its symbol, so i think that was when... "Giant of Africa" was coined.
I personally think this whole 'our leader' thingy is a pain in the ass, we can create progressive clubs (not political parties o) that can consist of members in and out of Nigeria... We can create a country of dream by starting from our immediate environment, we dont have to ever rely on our leaders again coz it (change) will never happen like this (with mouth)... 90% of Nigeria's problems stem from our societal values and attitudes.
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Fulaman198(m): 11:27pm On May 14, 2012
V_Official®:
i read, my grandpa added... initially before independence- before green, white and green... Nigerian flag was symbolized with an Elephant and a Horse... During those good old days (before my father's birth smiley ), Nigerian airways had an Elephant as its symbol, so i think that was when... "Giant of Africa" was coined.
I personally think this whole 'our leader' thingy is a pain in the ass, we can create progressive clubs (not political parties o) that can consist of members in and out of Nigeria... We can create a country of dream by starting from our immediate environment, we dont have to ever rely on our leaders again coz it (change) will never happen like this (with mouth)... 90% of Nigeria's problems stem from our societal values and attitudes.

You make some great arguments and points, how would you propose we formulate clubs? What would be the requirements to join a club so that it can be one that is productive?
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by VOfficialR(m): 1:15pm On May 15, 2012
hmm... i've not actually thought about it much but i think we can work together. we can make in form of an online club, we submit ideas per month and vote for the best one to work. its not gonna be dat simple sha... we will start by getting people here on nairaland who can fit into different unit (programmer, logistics, managements e.t.c). reasonable...

1 Like

Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Fulaman198(m): 3:54pm On May 15, 2012
V_Official®:
hmm... i've not actually thought about it much but i think we can work together. we can make in form of an online club, we submit ideas per month and vote for the best one to work. its not gonna be dat simple sha... we will start by getting people here on nairaland who can fit into different unit (programmer, logistics, managements e.t.c). reasonable...

It is reasonable ke, but as you said it will not be easy. We would have to start here on nairaland indeed.
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by VOfficialR(m): 6:54pm On May 15, 2012
who'z g'on start?
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Fulaman198(m): 8:38pm On May 15, 2012
V_Official®:
who'z g'on start?

I will take the initiative and try and start it sometime next week, right now I do not really have the time. But I am interested.
Re: African Culture, Nigeria -my View by Ndipe(m): 1:23am On Nov 17, 2015
the devaluation of our currency proved to be a disastrous economic policy. And I think that's part of the reasons why people flocked abroad so they could earn boku dollars and pound sterling, convert them in Naira and live large when they move back home.

(1) (Reply)

Black Man N The White Man / Yoruba, Fon And Ewe Cultural Area / The Igbo Denial - My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.