Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? (20511 Views)

Buying Of Tokunbo Cars At Apapa Berger,any Danger / Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Any Danger Starting Car With The A/C On? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by patlead: 4:11pm On May 12, 2012
people please i want to know if there is any danger in removing a car battery. I noticed that whenever i remove the battery of my car probably to help someone else start their engine, mine refuses to start immidiately. i have to connect it for a while then later start up the engine. im shocked at this , but i will like to hear from my ever ready NL ato gurus
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by dammybambo: 2:09am On Jul 08, 2013
This is a good question. Is anybody in the house?
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by wwwkaycom(m): 3:48am On Jul 08, 2013
can the gurus help? cheers!
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 08, 2013
patlead: people please i want to know if there is any danger in removing a car battery. I noticed that whenever i remove the battery of my car probably to help someone else start their engine, mine refuses to start immidiately. i have to connect it for a while then later start up the engine. im shocked at this , but i will like to hear from my ever ready NL ato gurus
The reason why your car refuse to start immediately was probably because the other car drained your battery charge and you didn't even wait to let it charge before reinstalling it into your car. When next you want to help another person restart your car, use a jump start procedure but do it with great care and obey the polarity rules of the battery and the respective cars (f®я more info on jump starting, refer to your car manual). From experience, if you unplug your battery when you aren't using your car for a long time won't harm your car but it would only reset instruments and features such as your clock, seat memory, car radio, automatic AC and other personalized stuffs etc to default settings, and when you reinstall the battery terminals your alarm system would go off into panic mode (if your car has factory installed anti theft alarm).

8 Likes

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 08, 2013
patlead: people please i want to know if there is any danger in removing a car battery. I noticed that whenever i remove the battery of my car probably to help someone else start their engine, mine refuses to start immidiately. i have to connect it for a while then later start up the engine. im shocked at this , but i will like to hear from my ever ready NL ato gurus

Why do you have to remove your battery to start another car? Could you please clarify EXACTLY what you do? Because I'm not seeing anything about jump leads here.

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:12am On Jul 08, 2013

it wont start your car because it has been drained abit by the other car

imagine you are park on your car and the radio is on the battery is being drained by the radio so lets say 10volts is left
then you take to jump another car it starts it you take to your car without allowing to charge

it will still remain with low voltage hence you car takes longer to start
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by earthrealm(m): 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2013
removing ur battery for up to 5mins usually resets ur ecm, so when next you start it...the ecm has to relearn the drive/fing patterns of the car...if you observe the car well..you will notice that ur rpm is always very very low when you start the car after replacing the battery.

I advice you to get a good jumper cable and stop removing ur battery [not that removing it damages anything], but I cant imagine myself going tru the hassles everyday

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by stonemind(f): 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2013
ok.com

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by shaqoloye(m): 5:59pm On Jul 09, 2013
i help a friend sometime ago n i ve to buy a new battery, my rewirer said i shd never remove my battery for my wife nt to talk of my mum. ask why, gave me many reasons like d oder car kick, alternator, earth disfuctn, etc...best way is jump start if u ve to help
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:59pm On Jul 09, 2013
Op, try what lomomike wrote. He has said it all.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 09, 2013
me is only
my keke batree i used to change d 1 my sweetus sugar mummy give me as baiday gift..is very economy cos instead of trekking i use to drive it to work in my big companies as vice CEO of YUZEDO & FAMILY Unlimited cooperation produser of Artifisial RITA DUMMY NICK brezz mewk....So i want to use dis opportunity before n finds out if my keke batree we spoil ifa change it too much until i see wan website dat can ansa question mumu or non mumu..so 'm advise u to tries it www.ajuju.zam

3 Likes

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by kokoye(m): 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
Why dont you get jumper cables..instead of removing your battery everytime you want to help jumpstart a car?

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by ZACHIE: 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Factory reset
fear factory reset
dread factory reset code
Each time i remove my battery, my car starts jerking, it loses power at will, the RPM goes way too low and it quenches at will.
I learnt my lesson the hard way.

IT IS ADVISABLE TO NEVER LET YOUR CAR KEY BE IN THE IGNITION HOLE WHEN CHANGING BATTERIES.
Why? I don,t know.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by WinkWrld: 6:24pm On Jul 09, 2013
Frequent battery removing will damage tthe eelectric fuel pump and possibly some fuses. The car won't start soon after u fix d batttery because the fuel pump will need like 2mins to reboot when d ignition is turned on. So when u fix back d battery, just turn the key 2levels and watch the ignition come on,wait like 2mins,turn off and then you can start the engine. Fuel wouls have ciculated properly and ur car will not jeck

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by KABIYESISULTAN: 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2013
There is really no danger in constantly removing your battery, except that one day you will remove it and forget to put it back.

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Tfri: 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2013
It doesn't affect anythn...it depends on d car.if its all dis latest cars dt comes with gadgets fine cos der's a lot of electronics on @ dt point and it will take d car lyk 5 seconds 2 start and if u dnt have a gud battery b4 15secs it will strt 2 go down.so if u r usin a high profile car dnt dear it......

2 Likes

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
am very sure some nissan maxima will reset all dashboard settings to factory default..
in some peugeot the key needs to be removed from the kick starter/ignition, otherwise the key will have to be re coded..
am not an expert on this, just personal experience..
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Prestonvic(m): 7:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
shaqoloye: i help a friend sometime ago n i ve to buy a new battery, my rewirer said i shd never remove my battery for my wife nt to talk of my mum. ask why, gave me many reasons like d oder car kick, alternator, earth disfuctn, etc...best way is jump start if u ve to help

It happened to me too dude... I felt so dissapointed because it was at night.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2013
Chikeziehosan:
me is only
my keke batree i used to change d 1 my sweetus sugar mummy give me as baiday gift..is very economy cos instead of trekking i use to drive it to work in my big companies as vice CEO of YUZEDO & FAMILY Unlimited cooperation produser of Artifisial RITA DUMMY NICK brezz mewk....So i want to use dis opportunity before n finds out if my keke batree we spoil ifa change it too much until i see wan website dat can ansa question mumu or non mumu..so 'm advise u to tries it www.ajuju.zam
. I'm confused at your comment, I really don't understand you. #falls from palm tree and faints# sad angry

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by sampitts(m): 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2013
I'm new in this auto section. Please what could possibly be the prob with an automatic car for the tortle to stop working while u'r on the road. I'm experiencing dat with my jeep. No matter how I tortle, the car keeps slowing down until it finally stops and goes off even in the middle of the road. I'll have to restart again and it works after restarting.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by somorinoye(m): 8:17pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hello peps, the best battery to buy is infinity battery and exide, they are good Korea and turkey batteries, if u like remove it several times from your car to power others car, when you come to fix it back in your car, it will power one time.. Dont go for China and imitation batteries, they are very disappointing..

1 Like

Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by ugoezeik(m): 8:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
dammybambo: This is a good question. Is anybody in the house?
no, l went to evening service
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Wendyslim(f): 8:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
Nice topic. I think I have gained something from dis.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by erico2k2(m): 9:14pm On Jul 09, 2013
sampitts: I'm new in this auto section. Please what could possibly be the prob with an automatic car for the tortle to stop working while u'r on the road. I'm experiencing dat with my jeep. No matter how I tortle, the car keeps slowing down until it finally stops and goes off even in the middle of the road. I'll have to restart again and it works after restarting.
what model of jeep, is it liberty?
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by LordReed(m): 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2013
From my experience there are no adverse effects to constant battery removal. I just changed a bad battery but before I did I had to use the battery from another car to start it I did that more than 10 times within a space of 1 month, my car did not develop any fault.

Most likely the person you gave your battery to has a faulty alternator or ignition that is why the battery was drained. Every time I have used a different battery to start my car the other car never has problems starting up after putting the battery back in.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by alstacs(m): 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2013
Siena:

Why do you have to remove your battery to start another car? Could you please clarify EXACTLY what you do? Because I'm not seeing anything about jump leads here.

I wonder myself too oh.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by alstacs(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2013
ZACHIE: Factory reset
fear factory reset
dread factory reset code
Each time i remove my battery, my car starts jerking, it loses power at will, the RPM goes way too low and it quenches at will.
I learnt my lesson the hard way.

IT IS ADVISABLE TO NEVER LET YOUR CAR KEY BE IN THE IGNITION HOLE WHEN CHANGING BATTERIES.
Why? I don,t know.

Now I know why my car jerks for almost two days anytime the battery is removed. I nearly got my mechanic arrested the other day cos he was just change my break pads and arrange for welding of my exhaust and an otherwise normal car started vibrating.
Thank God I was there from the begining to the end.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by femionasan(m): 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2013
Never ever remove your car battery except you want to replace it with a new one. If you dont have a jump cable forget it.
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by Pimples(m): 11:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
biyi willy: please have been mailing Seun the owner of nairaland since morning and he refused to reply my mail....have made payment into his account for advert on nairaland and the guy refused to reply...kindly help me get this message to him is he alive or dead... my 44k wont just go like that ooooooo

LOL
Guy take it easy. Is it up to 24 hours?
Even the police will ask u to wait for 48hours before u can panic.
smiley
Re: Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? by sampitts(m): 2:58am On Jul 10, 2013
erico2k2:
what model of jeep, is it liberty?
Grand cherokee, nt liberty

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Pickup Truck Is D Most Efficient / Best SUV For Nigeria? / Japan Is Testing Driverless Buses To Help Old People Move Around

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.