Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,282 members, 7,780,642 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:28 PM

History Of Niger / Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Niger / Nigeria (1680 Views)

History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Niger / Nigeria by LLBM: 5:54pm On May 13, 2012
History of Niger / Nigeria & Educating non-African born African people, about Africa

Can anyone help me with the history of Niger and the split that was made due to colonialism between France and Britain to form Nigeria and Niger.

I have been talking online for over a decade now on various topics and notice still there is a lot of ignorance about Africa and a lot of information on African history is not taught and hard to find, without the usual ramblings of so-called historians who think history happened because they thought it rather than prove it through research and analysis, leading to the rubbish online in American forums about Black and White Egyptians and so-called Arab Egyptians, when the simple thing is to ask the people themselves, I did, and found Egyptians ancestry in Yoruba people through tales of migration, that in fact Yoruba people are in historic terms a later migration into West Africa and intermingles with the people already there, with the actual region they migrated from being in what is now North Sudan / South Egypt (Upper Egypt) and found in fact there was recent Egyptian ancestry in my family too, not sure whether Arab or Berber or Coptic Christian.

But a lot of information and divisions are based on ignorance and the allowance or prejudiced people to dictate what is taught and learnt and even names for ourselves such as Black African (not a name of choice of any African let alone African or Sub-Saharan for so-called Black Africans).

So we have so many African Americans calling themselves Black this n-word that, to take back the sting of an insult, it does not work, so many Caribbean's doing the same and hating Africans, rather than learn their history.

So I need to ask people on here to help me learn more about African history, where people come from and disseminate the information to my readers on my page.

This is an article I wrote, having noticed the preference for so-called Caucasian features in beauty over the world in advertising, yet noticed the oddity that people don't seem to except that Caucasian features actually come from their named Black African's in the first place.

Ladies Love Black Men Article: (The assumption of ugliness based on ethnicity and mixed relationships as unstable relationships).

Many people already through no fault of their own have been defined and labelled as the false pseudo science of 'race', while it is disproven and societies the world over know that there is no such thing as race, (the country of Greece for instance does not by law define separate races, racial statistics are illegal, everyone is Greek, this has not stopped prejudice obviously, but it's a step in the right direction) something we have always known but became apparent through genetic research with the human genome project - Quote: Human Genome Project - DNA studies 'do not' indicate that separate classifiable subspecies (races) exist within modern humans. While different genes for physical traits such as skin and hair color can be identified between individuals, no consistent patterns of genes across the human genome exist to distinguish one race from another. So while proven we still live with the legacy of false notions of separate races, with some people so prejudiced as to thinking they will lose their ethnic identity if they marry someone of (x) defined "race" that is apparently different from their defined (y) defined "race", the irony being all human beings come from the same place and heritage, Africa (now called that) a region in what is now Ethiopia, while the first humans were not dark in skin colour something that was a genetic adaptation to the environment that later came to being in the region and regions humans migrated to, a feature Khoisan people bare to this day, being lighter skinned than most other Africans, human migration eventually left Africa, and adapted to the rest of the now forming continents due to continental drift, ice ages parting the planets tectonic plates and volcanic eruptions, features arose that adapted to the environment they faced, however the traits and features still remain that of an African origin, something denoted in our distant cousin Neanderthal, who also exhibited the same features, adaptation to environment, and contrary to popular belief were also of a veriety of skin colour adaptations like our species Homo Sapian Sapien, skin colour is only a defence against the harmful effects of the sun's UV (ultra violet) ray spectrum, thus were adapted far sooner than our species that survived, there is not much to distinguish Neandethal from modern human beings, some interbreeding occurred, certain features like red hair may be attributed to their legacy, however little survives to this day, the point being that genetic legacy of Africans is shared and all other human beings even with or without Neanderthal genes, is shared, they had the commonality of Homo Erectus, a common ancestor and all of African heritage like all Hominids also of the same genus (same genetic heritage), the spread of humans out of Africa simply led to a genetic mutations based on an existing set of gene mutations, hence you can see many similarities of features between human populations, and many similarities between people even if they are not defined of the same ethnicity by societies today, the irony being of racism and selective dating patterns of prejudiced "racist" people, something seen by the assumption of ugliness based on ethnicity, stupidity based on ethnicity, and lack of providing ability, societal mobility or anything a stable relationship is based on due to an apparent (only to the prejudiced person or people or group) of someone they deem not of their ethnicity, or not wanting certain traits in their children they will have, so sex for some prejudiced people with someone of what they deem another ethnicity or "race" if fine for them but children and a 'real' relationship is not something they take seriously, thus making stereotypes of mixed relationships as being unstable relationships, racism is not about skin colour it is actually about the isolation of a group of people, de-stabilising societies and stifling development and progress of a person or group of people or even nation state(s). Now the irony of facial features let alone notions of supposed intellectual inferiority is that all people the world over are African and the adaptations to the planets environment is that we still share the same ability to adapt to the environments we move too, and adapt quicker if we marry someone of the locality, something that societies have been doing for thousands of years, some with observable prejudiced elements that survive to this day, why in Rome there were citizens of all skin colours, yet all were Romans, African heritage Emperors, before a senate of various skin colours, the same in Egypt, what led these great societies to fall? the false divisions sowed in their midst by people wanting certain ambitions over another person, Roman thinking was to the North are White Barbarians limited in intelligence, to the south are darker people who are too weak from the sun and hair is curly because of it, but we Romans are mixed and strong because we are mixed and don't have the negative sides of either because they knew they came from both, in the lowest wrung's of society A slave was a slave whether he was a Syrian, Thracian, or an African. now the commonality despite the wrongs of the society was they knew that people were mixed, we now know people are genetically adapted and were always mixed anyway by modern definitions of later Western European thinking, hence when people and even scientists write idiotic articles on why they think Black women are not beautiful it is based on the perceptions of people who have been lied to, to hate, marginalise and de-stabilise a group of people, something they did for a long time with slavery, something Africans to this day are labelled by even when they were never slaves, of which the vast majority blatantly never were, but classed in schools for European Africans (again simply Europeans no different from anyone else in reality, when you don't define yourself by someone else's words of a society in order to prevent you integrating into the one you were born into just like anyone else), hence we get articles like this: Racist Psychology Today article claims black women are objectively less attractive than other women http://feministing.com/2011/05/16/racist-psychology-today-article-claims-black-women-are-objectively-less-attractive-than-other-women/ about this scientist Satoshi Kanazawa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kanazawa because he want's to marginalise based on a lie in the first place, the results are expected because, the notion of beauty if already being eliminated in the first place, so European looks are beauty and Africans ugly, despite European looks coming from and African genus and exhibited by Africans anyway, Black or not, the 'not' (supposedly unmixed North Africans) being mixed people anyway, with so many North Africans claiming to be Arab when they are not, they are Mediterranean people mixed with Black Africans from North Africa to west Africa and not of slavery entirely at all and have been for thousands of years: The spread of homo sapiens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spreading_homo_sapiens.svg so Asiatic features unless European looking would also be deemed ugly by the psychology of this scientist too. It leads to the old saying, there are lies damned lies and then there are statistics, the views do not reflect the world at large at all, that is why people mix and don't even realise it, or think they are mixed when infact there is no such thing, really just names thrown on them by society groups and some people who they made the mistake of being led by, looking at Tuareg people, from Niger, Nigeria (related Fulani people Arab mix not Berber mix (an insulting name from Romans of North Africans, West Africans were given more respect, the real name of Tuareg people and Berber is Tamazight people) of Tuareg people, Chad, Mali and Mauritania all fall into the same mixed area of North Africa, Saharan people same as those of the North of Africa, so we have Black people (again a false name and not used by Africans really apart from Egyptians) who according to what is now the country of the USA, are deemed White or of the White "race" and then the false division of so-called Sub-Saharan Black people who are mixed and adapted, who bear more Khoisan looking features of original modern humans than those adapted to the climate of the North, so we in this age today need to make it known race does not exist, because our governments want the issue to perpetuate and do nothing to stop it by reaching the final step of "racial" awareness training of our societies not to be racist, to stop the notion of races and thus ignorant patterns of social interaction forming, is to get rid of the notion of race, we know what the words mean, but don't pass on the ignorance with it, so we have stupidity of Bah Bah Black sheep banned, its about a sheep not a human, if its the golly (gollywog) it does need to be banned, because it perpetuates hatred and false stereotypes and notions of Black evil and ugliness, robbing people just because, jealous of people, just because, no reasoning, something ingrained in a child's mind through stealth teaching, same used to create he false notion of race in the first place. Please share this article (by Ladies Love Black Men)

Can people on here tell me more about the history of the North of Nigeria, the split of the regions that are now Nigeria and Niger, who shared a history and people before European Colonialism split them into different countries.

Also other West / North African countries too, Mali, Chad, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Sudan.

Any pictures of people would be great too.

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by emofine2(f): 12:49am On May 16, 2012
Whilst I found your article rather interesting and also agreed with you about the misconception of the notion of “race” why do you then sport the title “Ladies Love Black Men”? Or is that tongue in cheek? undecided

Anyway it’s kind of confusing because you claim you wanna know more about Niger/Nigeria etc then go into a whole dissection of “race” so erm I'm kinda left wondering how does that subject bare weight on what you want to gather from the history of those aforementioned countries you’re interested in?

Niger and Northern Nigeria was not a country prior to the Europeans. But they or at the very least most of that specific region (southern Niger) was under a federation known as the Sokoto Caliphate established by the Fulanis in what is geographically considered as Hausaland. Anyway as one would expect a Nigerienne and Northern Nigerian have much in common – well they are essentially the same people in today different nations regardless of the borders – which isn’t a unique circumstance at all in Africa.
Fortunately there are a few frequent Northern Nigerians if they choose to add or correct certain info.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 4:22am On May 16, 2012
emöfine2: Whilst I found your article rather interesting and also agreed with you about the misconception of the notion of “race” why do you then sport the title “Ladies Love Black Men”? Or is that tongue in cheek? undecided

Anyway it’s kind of confusing because you claim you wanna know more about Niger/Nigeria etc then go into a whole dissection of “race” so erm I'm kinda left wondering how does that subject bare weight on what you want to gather from the history of those aforementioned countries you’re interested in?

Niger and Northern Nigeria was not a country prior to the Europeans. But they or at the very least most of that specific region (southern Niger) was under a federation known as the Sokoto Caliphate established by the Fulanis in what is geographically considered as Hausaland. Anyway as one would expect a Nigerienne and Northern Nigerian have much in common – well they are essentially the same people in today different nations regardless of the borders – which isn’t a unique circumstance at all in Africa.
Fortunately there are a few frequent Northern Nigerians if they choose to add or correct certain info.

I think on average, People from Niger are more traditional than Northern Nigerians. You don't see them autotuning the crap out of their songs like we do in our movie songs with the wannabe Indian sound. You don't see Hindi words like "larki" infiltrating Fulani language. I have a lot of respect for people in Niger because of this.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by emofine2(f): 7:44am On May 16, 2012
Fulaman198:

I think on average, People from Niger are more traditional than Northern Nigerians. You don't see them autotuning the crap out of their songs like we do in our movie songs with the wannabe Indian sound. You don't see Hindi words like "larki" infiltrating Fulani language. I have a lot of respect for people in Niger because of this.

Lol yeah I think the auto-tuning is a little overboard but I never knew that some hindi words were also filtered through. I guess Bollywood must be really popular in the North...not so?
Actually I knew an Igbo guy who was brought up in the North (Kano) and was quite a fan of Bollywood and could sing a whole Hindi song lol but I guess that's different because I doubt there's any Hindi presence in the Igbo language.

1 Like

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by DanKan0: 9:11am On May 16, 2012
@fulaman

That indian shit pisses me off o. Wtf? See them autotuning and singing like indians. Even dressing sef.

Niger music > Nigeria music. Easily. But maybe its ca Nigeria got money?? All this 'indian night' rubbish @ weddings lol smh.

1 Like

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by DanKan0: 9:20am On May 16, 2012
I think the 'original' hausa people where from Niger. Then they spread south into Nigeria. And started mixing. I don't think they came directly from the east into North nigeria.

The thing is orginal Hausa is not that much o, its only because of Hausa language people started becoming 'Hausa'. Furthermore I think there's actually more original Fula than Hausa in Northen Nigeria.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by emofine2(f): 9:50am On May 16, 2012
DanKan0: Niger music > Nigeria music. Easily.

Is that including music from Southern Nigeria? grin......So in the North dem do like Indians whilst in the south na Yankee dem xerox lol...na who go copy us?

However I do appreciate the more authentic sounds of Niger.

All this 'indian night' rubbish @ weddings lol smh.

Lol.

1 Like

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by DanKan0: 10:05am On May 16, 2012
@emofine

How far smiley

Na I like 'Nigerian' music o. Better than oyinbo music by farrrr. Soon the oyinbo in London will dance to Naija rythmn as well cheesy

I was talkn about Niger Hausa music> Nigerian Hausa music.

1 Like

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by emofine2(f): 10:22am On May 16, 2012
@ DanKan0

lafia smiley...Ina Kwana?

Soon the oyinbo in London will dance to Naija rythmn as well

Soon? Like they haven’t already grin

1 Like

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:49am On May 16, 2012
i know many Hausa nad Yoruba who are addicted to Bollywood. Even i used to watch that stuffs. . tongue

1 Like

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 7:58pm On May 16, 2012
^methinks bollywood is for babies who don't wanna grow up. smiley
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 12:08am On May 17, 2012
DanKan0: @fulaman

That indian shit pisses me off o. Wtf? See them autotuning and singing like indians. Even dressing sef.

Niger music > Nigeria music. Easily. But maybe its ca Nigeria got money?? All this 'indian night' rubbish @ weddings lol smh.

Definitely, Niger Music is 100x better than Nigerian music. Nigerians need to go back to their true cultural roots so that our music will be good again. Mali, Niger, Senegal and Burkina Faso have some of the best music in the world.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 12:08am On May 17, 2012
DanKan0: I think the 'original' hausa people where from Niger. Then they spread south into Nigeria. And started mixing. I don't think they came directly from the east into North nigeria.

The thing is orginal Hausa is not that much o, its only because of Hausa language people started becoming 'Hausa'. Furthermore I think there's actually more original Fula than Hausa in Northen Nigeria.

Ethnically, but those Fulani people do not speak one proper sentence of Fulfulde (Fulani language), so I can not really call them Fulani.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 12:09am On May 17, 2012
emöfine2:

Is that including music from Southern Nigeria? grin......So in the North dem do like Indians whilst in the south na Yankee dem xerox lol...na who go copy us?

However I do appreciate the more authentic sounds of Niger.

Lol.

OH MY GOSH lol too funny Emofine2 lady darling lol
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 12:11am On May 17, 2012
DanKan0: I think the 'original' hausa people where from Niger. Then they spread south into Nigeria. And started mixing. I don't think they came directly from the east into North nigeria.

True, like in Maradi, Zinder, etc. etc. those are true Hausa regions in Niger. Niger is a great country no matter what people say, I am really proud at the fact they have very little outsider cultural influence.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by LLBM: 11:21am On May 17, 2012
emöfine2: Whilst I found your article rather interesting and also agreed with you about the misconception of the notion of “race” why do you then sport the title “Ladies Love Black Men”? Or is that tongue in cheek? undecided

Thanks for the reply emöfine2, I called the facebook page Ladies Love Black Men, because of how people describe African's, while I don't agree with the description and naming of the word Black, I understand the history of its application towards naming people by using insulting and derogatory European based false notions and definitions of skin colour; noone is really Black or White, however people simply would not understand what the page is about in UK / Europe / USA unless the word Black is used.

I created the page just out of interest one day, and wondered what would happen, and it proved very popular, so is an opportunity to educate people about African people no matter where they come from their origin is Africa, and often Nigeria, Ghana, and Mali.

Hence some education for both Black and White is needed, not to think of themselves as separate people or mixing for the first time, as seen by the real fact of thousands of years of mixing in Africa anyway.

Now needed is education on history, while European schools I was educated in, do not teach anything outside Egypt and slavery and creating false notions of a divide of Sub-Saharan (Often denoted in western pictures as Bantu looking) and North African people (often denoted by the use of overtly Caucasian looking people) who are in truth not related to Arabs, Arabs invaded North Africa.

So the false notion of Saharan people is created, I remember talking to my University lecturer, a lady with a Phd. and I told her about the findings of the Human Genome Project, how race did not exist, and she tried to pass it off as merely being a "theory", not concrete proved fact, which it is and was nearly a decade ago now or more.

That's why such false notions about Africa need to be fought against and people educated.

So the two are coupled together really, for the fact the infantile nature of racism, created from the notion of race, is not taught of the origins outside of UK and the reasons, the reality was this name White and race was applied only to the English, when Henry the 8th wanted to rule Ireland, read about the Tudor conquest of Ireland.

Hence in sarcasm the English were now all deemed White and the Irish and every other European as Blacks, no bearing on Moors or any other African of the time, little contact other than Roman soldiers and politicians of West African and North African decent had mixed with them, so the notion and successful fall of the Irish Kingdom meant they applied it everywhere they conquered.

Thus as people won their freedom back from what would later become the British Empire ending in the 20th century, people formerly labelled as Black, began being called by the continent or country name, only because of the scale of slavery of Black Africans, that the name Black stuck, so Indians don't get called Black, neither do East Asians, etc.

If the name Black was not so derogory in double meaning, every usage being the opposite to White, and of a negative (bad) meaning (case and point made in one common sentence), I do not tend to use the word Black, but at the same time it means nothing, merely something to the people wishing to deride people, when the problem is them, so I merely state it to educate, not fall into the trap of racial idiocy and make for gradual change.

Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by LLBM: 11:40am On May 17, 2012
This is an example of the amount of ignorance that people on my page have when shown Nigerean Africans, Malian's, Nigerian's etc. who they consider mixed because visually they are used to seeing what they consider mono-races, hence they think African's look Indian or Caribbean.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=239602486074577&set=a.239601639407995.66993.121328251235335&type=1&theater

Comment by user on page:
reminds me of east indi

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=239602076074618&set=a.239601639407995.66993.121328251235335&type=1&theater

Comment by user on page:
this is africa? it looks so much like india.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 4:13pm On May 17, 2012
If Westerners want to remain naive about Africa, the Sahel, the Sahara, then let them remain naive. I don't have time to educate every single Westerner on the real Africa, you guys should not worry yourselves as well. There are a lot of Africans (East Africans from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia) who don't know a thing about West Africans either. So in short, let the naive remain naive. Who cares what they say?

Malians, Senegalese, Nigerians, Nigeriens, Burkinabes, Chad, parts of Cameroon all have Sahelian and Saharan blood, before Arabs came to Africa, many Africans were living farther North. The Northern Sahara (which includes Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia, etc.) today was a Savannah and not a desert and many ethnic groups thrived there. In fact I was not surprised when I saw that Fulani once inhabited Algeria thousands of years ago as Zebu cattle (the form of cattle we herd) was found there.
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by emofine2(f): 11:28pm On May 17, 2012
@LLBM

Are you African? or a better posed question would be....where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Fulaman198: If Westerners want to remain naive about Africa, the Sahel, the Sahara, then let them remain naive. I don't have time to educate every single Westerner on the real Africa, you guys should not worry yourselves as well. There are a lot of Africans (East Africans from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia) who don't know a thing about West Africans either. So in short, let the naive remain naive. Who cares what they say?

Hmmm..I'm sure there are lots of things that West Africans don't know about East/South/Central/North African or even other West Africans etc and vice versa...and I wouldn't want another African or another well-informed individual failing to correct misconceptions I may hold. I understand some are willfully ignorant but there are other's who would feel quite fortunate for having known. smiley
Re: History Of Niger / Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 12:38am On May 18, 2012
emöfine2: @LLBM

Are you African? or a better posed question would be....where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Hmmm..I'm sure there are lots of things that West Africans don't know about East/South/Central/North African or even other West Africans etc and vice versa...and I wouldn't want another African or another well-informed individual failing to correct misconceptions I may hold. I understand some are willfully ignorant but there are other's who would feel quite fortunate for having known. smiley

We already have a lot of people who refuse to learn no matter what you tell them like that Somalian guy Ayalne

(1) (Reply)

The Black Mind / Strange! Festival Celebrated By Digging Up Dead Family Members (graphic Photos) / The Historic City Of Zaria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.