Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,547 members, 7,809,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. (6060 Views)

Cars You Should Avoid Buying / Meet The Six Bulletproof Cars You Can Buy / Used Cars Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 10:40pm On May 13, 2012
Hello Nairalanders, I will like to know your experience after buying a "Nigerian Used" car from nairaland.

Did you regret buying the car?
Was it value for your money?
Did you sell it faster than you expected bacause it wasn't serving its purpose?
If you had similar need, will you still buy from nairaland?

I am thinking of buying 2 cars soon but so far, the people I have spoken to aren't so sincere concerning the state of the cars and I don't want to make a decision I will end up regreting.

Please share you experience on cars (nigerian used) you have bought from fellow nairalanders.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 5:49am On May 14, 2012
34 vies and no comment?
Does this mean the 34 viewers are the sellers and window shoppers? Who have never bought a Nigerian used vehicle on nairaland?

Please let's share our experiences, joy, regrets and lessons learnt on Nigerian used vehicles we have bought on nairaland.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 8:55am On May 14, 2012
Na wa oh!
This silence is making me scared oh!
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by ayojango(m): 6:12pm On May 14, 2012
I bought a 2001 honda accord I must tell u it was a solid buy,I viewed it on sunday evenin and paid for it on mornday afternoon.
D good thing was it was formerly owned by a Justice:who knw they always in court so the car never moved
Also bein a judge I believed in his integrity on wat he told me bout d car.

Good buy,solid engine,powerful sound system,wen I drove it home pple dnt belive @ d give away price
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 11:04pm On May 15, 2012
ayo jango: I bought a 2001 honda accord I must tell u it was a solid buy,I viewed it on sunday evenin and paid for it on mornday afternoon.
D good thing was it was formerly owned by a Justice:who knw they always in court so the car never moved
Also bein a judge I believed in his integrity on wat he told me bout d car.

Good buy,solid engine,powerful sound system,wen I drove it home pple dnt belive @ d give away price

You are one of the few lucky ones. Thank your stars.

See someone's latest complain of being deceived of a car worth N2m

https://www.nairaland.com/938851/beware-buying-fraudulent-advertised-registered
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by Lekky2: 11:53am On May 16, 2012
I am witing you on this thread because u advise me to do so.
I will strongly advice you never to attempt buying a registered car on NL. They are full of rubish, lies, deciets etc etc. They will never tell you the major reason why they are selling is becuase it has a major problem. The reason they will be giving is"Owners want to upgrade; Owners is travelling out or has travelled out". All these are lies, so don't fall a victim.
Like the rav4 i bought, i am about towing it down to ibadan now at a total cos 25k after spending over 100k to fix it.
I have been adviced to buy another engine and install it in the car for the vehicle to be on the road since it will not start at all.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by biggiyke(m): 12:14pm On May 16, 2012
last year march, i bought a 2007 accord naija used right here on nairaland. & im nt regrettin my decision. infact, i plan upgradin to naija used 2008/9 accord by january next year. i think u knw a honest seller when u see one. and u nid to have a little knowledge abt cars. i hate it when pple expect cars to perform 100% ALL OF THE TIME!! its a machine!! even humans breakdown, talk less of something made by man. and mind u, even brand new cars have their issues. i hav a frnd dat bought 2011 corolla brand new frm elizade. its bin hell for him. d battery kips drainin and elizade cant place the source of drain. his warranty xpires soon, and im already feelin 4 him.
im nt gonna say iv had a perfect deal wit my naija used car, it has its issues. but my car has neva let me down on the road. iv chngd shocks, a/c compressor, condenser, but these r quite normal for a 5year old car that has been flogged on terrible naija roads rainy season, unendin traffic etc. i travel alot, especially lagos - aba evry 6 months, lagos-ibadan lik evry other month and iv NEVER had any CORE ENGINE issues wit my car. cos i maintain it wen due. i dnt compromis. any odd noise i notice, i quickly seek solution.
and when i put up my ride for sale next january, God willing grin, im sure im gonna be givin someone here a well maintained, rarely used (i work offshore 2weeks in/out) ride.

my 2penny thoughts

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by Nautillus(m): 12:08pm On May 17, 2012
biggiyke: last year march, i bought a 2007 accord naija used right here on nairaland. & im nt regrettin my decision. infact, i plan upgradin to naija used 2008/9 accord by january next year. i think u knw a honest seller when u see one. and u nid to have a little knowledge abt cars. i hate it when pple expect cars to perform 100% ALL OF THE TIME!! its a machine!! even humans breakdown, talk less of something made by man. and mind u, even brand new cars have their issues. i hav a frnd dat bought 2011 corolla brand new frm elizade. its bin hell for him. d battery kips drainin and elizade cant place the source of drain. his warranty xpires soon, and im already feelin 4 him.
im nt gonna say iv had a perfect deal wit my naija used car, it has its issues. but my car has neva let me down on the road. iv chngd shocks, a/c compressor, condenser, but these r quite normal for a 5year old car that has been flogged on terrible naija roads rainy season, unendin traffic etc. i travel alot, especially lagos - aba evry 6 months, lagos-ibadan lik evry other month and iv NEVER had any CORE ENGINE issues wit my car. cos i maintain it wen due. i dnt compromis. any odd noise i notice, i quickly seek solution.
and when i put up my ride for sale next january, God willing grin, im sure im gonna be givin someone here a well maintained, rarely used (i work offshore 2weeks in/out) ride.

my 2penny thoughts

Oga...you never even wan sell car...you don dey contradict yourself.... Femi Kuti no lie...Truth don die

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by biggiyke(m): 2:31pm On May 17, 2012
Nautillus:

Oga...you never even wan sell car...you don dey contradict yourself.... Femi Kuti no lie...Truth don die

bros, im nt selling my car, yet, ok? so get dis straight. im nt even advertising. hw wil u describe a car dat is parked for 15days in a month? a car dat doesnt face d daily hassle of going to d island and back every day in traffic? if i travel to d east evry 6months, dats twice in a year, for Pete's sake!! d car is just 1year & 3months with me. what part of rarely used dont u get then? would u compare a car dat does lagos-ibadan 6times a year to one dat visits 3rdmainland bridge twice everyday during peak hours?

my guy, u shooting up d wrong tree. im just contributing to d OP topic.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by friedrice1: 3:00pm On May 17, 2012
i ve been following this thread with great concern,
for sometime now i nave been scanning through the NL auto section to see if i could get a
good 2008 Accord or Camry, I ve seen some questionable postings, now This thread comes up
the whole thing is getting Scary.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by TOSIN4REAL: 7:02pm On May 17, 2012
My Dear Brother,
I bought a Toyota Corolla 2003 via NL. Even though I inspected the car with my 2 naked eyes, I was a swindled. If anyone dares buy a car without a car-mechanic by his side, you have become the biggest fool of all time.
The 2003 Corolla I bought sometime in the 1st week of August, 2011 was actually an accidented car. The car engine needs to be changed as i write this mail. The fuel consumption is crazy. Lots more to be complained about.
Anyway, I learnt my lessons albeit the HARD-WAY!
Mechanic to check the car is the ONLY-WAY!!!
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by ajealadick(m): 8:51pm On May 17, 2012
Well I followed this thread, but one thing is clear if you get a well maintained car from any user it will perform well. The signs of mismanagement are: 1. check the original floor carpet- how worn. 2. the engine room.is it the engine clean or lots of dripping oil 3. The engine and gearbox oil condition tells a lot. 4. Are the glasses on the vehicle original? 5. The leveling of the bonnet or trunk with the fender is an indication of accident, not forgetting the paint work, has it been repainted? If yes is it a quality paint like Auto base, etc. (cos bad managers never use expensive spray works on cars) 6. The car before payment is made must cover like a 5 km journey, pay for the fuel, but you must find something if the is something to hide.

Finally why not pay "your own" mechanic to inspect the car for you if you don't know much about cars and the "born again' theory of bringing dead cars back to life. For me its not an easy task to deceive me, cos I have been here in this vehicle stuff for 20 years.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by famzynet: 11:30pm On May 17, 2012
Thank you so much Acidtalk for this post.Just got to know abt Alhaji lekki predicament thru here. I'm abt buying my first car and always peruse thru nairaland for a good buy. But I think you just opened my eyes to seek somewhere else. Thank u my brother for I don't want this hard earned money to go down the drain.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by zamirikpo(m): 3:54am On May 18, 2012
interesting ,i got a camry 2007model for 2.5 tru NL.....it looked very neat nd clean but to my greatest surprise it had been sprayed bfor cos i bashed it a little nd on fixing it my panel beater nd spray painter confirmed that it had been sprayed bfor also the mud/sand protector in front wher from a diff car intirely, nd the idiot i bought it from said the owner was selling cos he was travelling out,the point here is i went wit a mechanic nd he still couldnt notice this,my advice is wen shopping on NL,go with a mechanic,electrician,panel beater,spray painter etc.....that way u can be sure...although the engine nd every other part works perfectly.....though i drive it once or twice a week cos of work,am hoping the paint issue is all there is....
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by 3ace(m): 4:24pm On May 18, 2012
famzynet: Thank you so much Acidtalk for this post.Just got to know abt Alhaji lekki predicament thru here. I'm abt buying my first car and always peruse thru nairaland for a good buy. But I think you just opened my eyes to seek somewhere else. Thank u my brother for I don't want this hard earned money to go down the drain.
Even though I've also gone through those stories involving Alhaji and Damola, I'm still going to buy a car right here on Nairaland. Think about it, do you really think that you can't be deceived if you consider other means of purchase? I enjoy window shopping numerous cars from the comfort of my office and home. If I had to do that offline, that will be extremely stressful. I have this philosophy that there are only good people and bad people. No race or ethnic group is absolutely good and bad. In thesame vein, Nairaland dealers and private sellers are not absolutely bad. There are still some trustworthy ones amongst them.(for your information, I'm not a dealer)

Please, I'm not saying you should compulsorily buy from Nairaland but wherever you choose to buy from, make sure you go with a reliable and competent mechanic at least. You can also equip yourself with what to look out for when buying a used car or tokunbo. Above all, shine ya eyessssss....My candid opinion.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by bigx(m): 5:41pm On May 18, 2012
3ace:
Even though I've also gone through those stories involving Alhaji and Damola, I'm still going to buy a car right here on Nairaland. Think about it, do you really think that you can't be deceived if you consider other means of purchase? I enjoy window shopping numerous cars from the comfort of my office and home. If I had to do that offline, that will be extremely stressful. I have this philosophy that there are only good people and bad people. No race or ethnic group is absolutely good and bad. In thesame vein, Nairaland dealers and private sellers are not absolutely bad. There are still some trustworthy ones amongst them.(for your information, I'm not a dealer)

Please, I'm not saying you should compulsorily buy from Nairaland but wherever you choose to buy from, make sure you go with a reliable and competent mechanic at least. You can also equip yourself with what to look out for when buying a used car or tokunbo. Above all, shine ya eyessssss....My candid opinion.

Seconded
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by bigx(m): 5:41pm On May 18, 2012
3ace:

Seconded
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by deda(m): 11:27pm On May 18, 2012
@ACID TALK. I POSTED THIS SAME TOPIC ON 8TH MAY 2012(SEE LINK https://www.nairaland.com/932950/ur-xperience-after-buyin-reg). SO Y U STEAL MY TOPIC? NEXT TIME WEN U ONE USE ANOTHER MAN TOPIC TRY TO SEEK FOR PERMISSION OR ELSE I GO SUE U FOR COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

MODERATOR PLS TAKE NOTE

acidtalk: Hello Nairalanders, I will like to know your experience after buying a "Nigerian Used" car from nairaland.

Did you regret buying the car?
Was it value for your money?
Did you sell it faster than you expected bacause it wasn't serving its purpose?
If you had similar need, will you still buy from nairaland?

I am thinking of buying 2 cars soon but so far, the people I have spoken to aren't so sincere concerning the state of the cars and I don't want to make a decision I will end up regreting.

Please share you experience on cars (nigerian used) you have bought from fellow nairalanders.
@ACID TALK. I POSTED THIS SAME TOPIC ON 8TH MAY 2012(SEE LINK https://www.nairaland.com/932950/ur-xperience-after-buyin-reg). SO Y U STEAL MY TOPIC? NEXT TIME WEN U ONE USE ANOTHER MAN TOPIC TRY TO SEEK FOR PERMISSION OR ELSE I GO SUE U FOR COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by 3ace(m): 9:16am On May 19, 2012
deda: @ACID TALK. I POSTED THIS SAME TOPIC ON 8TH MAY 2012(SEE LINK https://www.nairaland.com/932950/ur-xperience-after-buyin-reg). SO Y U STEAL MY TOPIC? NEXT TIME WEN U ONE USE ANOTHER MAN TOPIC TRY TO SEEK FOR PERMISSION OR ELSE I GO SUE U FOR COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

MODERATOR PLS TAKE NOTE

Oga deda, on behalf of Acid, abeg no vex. But u no do wetin acid do na. Acid always came back to do follow-up posts in order to encourage people to develop his thread. He even went to Alhaji's thread and persuaded him to re-post his experience on his thread which originally was yours no doubt(scroll up and see Lekky 2's post). I think Acid helped you develop a thread that will contain more information and be beneficial to all. For this reason, you should appreciate him for that. This is my judgment, I rise-COURT! gringringringringrin

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 7:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
3ace:

Oga deda, on behalf of Acid, abeg no vex. But u no do wetin acid do na. Acid always came back to do follow-up posts in order to encourage people to develop his thread. He even went to Alhaji's thread and persuaded him to re-post his experience on his thread which originally was yours no doubt(scroll up and see Lekky 2's post). I think Acid helped you develop a thread that will contain more information and be beneficial to all. For this reason, you should appreciate him for that. This is my judgment, I rise-COURT! gringringringringrin

Oga mi, your head dey there.
Never knew something of that nature has already been up before.

More this, I will dash you one brand new 'toy' Honda EOD with full a/c, auto transmission, v6 engine, alloy wheels, tinted glasses and bullet proof.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by godfadda6(m): 12:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
Well I read this post and I became very interested. For those that throw jabs, I'm not here to advertise anyone or tell you someone is better!

Being that as it may, I bought a camry 1991 from NL, you would be shocked, it is was a 20 year old car with 94,000 miles on it, good vin, V6, power seat belt, I bought it on monday, changed the shaft on wednesday, and took it to akure, OMG the car is an helicopter, the car is 1yr and 7months now, I have no regret whatsoever buying on NL.

Apart from regular servicing, it has no problem whatsoever, I have tried changing the car, but all or most of the sellers I have come across are just liars (excuse the word). They would tell you stories and you would get to see the car and you would be like WTF.

But seriously there are good and honest sellers on NL, but like we say, "the few bad ones, make all the sellers look bad"
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by netwalker: 2:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
I find some of the reports given on this thread to be somewhat confusing, to say the least. I do believe that Nairaland does not give any guarantees, explicit or implicit, as to the accuracy of ads for sales of used cars, property or anything else that is sold through this forum, so why should potential buyers throw away their common sense and good reason when they come to buy cars advertised on here? I believe that if any one of the buyers here were to walk past a car dealership where tokunbo cars are sold, and decide to buy one, they would come back with a mechanic to inspect the car before making up their minds, which is what the dictates of common sense require (caveat emptor). So why wouldn't anyone bring along a mechanic to inspect the cars they wanted to buy when seenadvertised on the internet? I have sold two of my used cars through this forum, and in both cases, virtually all the people who turned up to take a look at the cars all eventually came with mechanics WHEN they were ready to deal. I certainly had no objection to their bringing mechanics to inspect, because I would do the same when I am going to buy a car from anyone. So, my dear Internet users, hang on to your common sense when making purchases. Also remember that it is difficult to sue or take legal action in such cases because the rule is simply: Let the buyer beware. Inspect before you buy, else you will be stuck with what you buy. And please dont blame Nairaland.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
The is a thread I think we all who have bought cards from members of this forum should come and help others. For those who have, I say thank you.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by Arsenate(m): 9:28am On Dec 06, 2012
Nice thread, quite helpful. Let's hear more experiences please.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 06, 2012
@Topic
Bought a registered 2002 Toyota Highlander 10months ago through NL.I actually went there with a mechanic,checked it out and paid for it only to find out 2 days later that its a 2002 model as against a 2004 model as advertised,Engine has been changed Twice !!!!and it was painted some few months before I bought it.Ended up spending a whole lot "renovating" it.It has not being a problematic one though but be that as it may,I'm done wit registered cars.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by Arsenate(m): 12:08pm On Dec 06, 2012
newtontoyo: @Topic
Bought a registered 2002 Toyota Highlander 10months ago through NL.I actually went there with a mechanic,checked it out and paid for it only to find out 2 days later that its a 2002 model as against a 2004 model as advertised,Engine has been changed Twice !!!!and it was painted some few months before I bought it.Ended up spending a whole lot "renovating" it.It has not being a problematic one though but be that as it may,I'm done wit registered cars.
quite scary. But how come the "mechanic" you took along with you couldn't pick all these flaws? Oh well.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by acidtalk: 1:07am On Dec 08, 2012
newtontoyo: @Topic

I think this act is totally unfair by the seller. Why should people be so dishonest?
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by gbonsalifus(m): 4:16am On Dec 13, 2012
There's a popular opinion that is making Nigerian afraid of Buying some brand of cars. Read here
http://101carsense..com/2012/12/why-nigerians-are-afraid-to-buy-some.html
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by ziccoit: 7:44am On Jan 16, 2013
Interesting thread don't know why I'm seeing this so late.
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by Engrr(m): 8:48am On Jan 16, 2013
I think I am among the unlucky ones here, I baught a 2000 model Honda Accord here last year and I have already spent almost thesame amount that I bought the car on repairs. But i fall a victim because I didnt inspect the car my self, the car that the seller told me was not used up 1 yr in Naija was actually imported in 2009 & I didnt know that my causin that I sent for inspection knows nothing abt cars and unfortunately, he went with ano old mechanic who knows only the likes of 504s etc. So for me, Naija used cars can never be ano option again unless from a close friend where I know the car's history!
Re: Share Your Experience On Nigerian used Cars You Have Bought From Nairaland. by princecemo(m): 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2021
Automobile Inspection Service

Do you need to buy a car and you need an automobile expert to inspect before you buy?
You can call on us today
Take note that most mechanic are easily bribed to approve a faulty car more so most mechanic don’t inspect with the right tools.

We are experts in inspecting cars
Avoid making mistakes when buying a car
We can help you do the following

Check if a car is accident free
Engine diagnostics with a topnotch scanning device
Check for ABS faults
Check for SRS faults
Check for Transmission (gearbox) faults
Also advice you on a better option of cars to buy

We also give free advice on what car is suitable for u

We can help you buy both tokunbo and naija used cars

We are available anytime of the week

(1) (Reply)

2001 Toyota Solara 800K,Urgent sale,just Call 08030426331 / Sold!!!Toyota Camry (muscle) 2008 (thumb Start) Registered @ N1.7m / Extremely Super Clean Peogueot 406 (toks) For Just 900k Askin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.