Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,673 members, 7,801,938 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. (29667 Views)

My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by sultaan(m): 12:54pm On May 18, 2012
from what I have seen you have to clean the passage of the egr first with a throttle body clear/carbon cleaner.There is another hose(might be metallic that goes from engine manifold to egr valve, take a small metal wire(hanger) and see if it is blocked of with carbon/soot.Usually the soot will clog egr and accumulate back to the engine, and sometimes even the manifold get clogged.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Aijara: 1:08pm On May 18, 2012
i need help vry vry badly regarding this fuel consumption, i drive a 98/99 honda CRV jeep,d check engine light is always n ever on, i used full tank for two days, that how worse it can be. plz plz plz i need help.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by gulfer: 1:17pm On May 18, 2012
Aijara: i need help vry vry badly regarding this fuel consumption, i drive a 98/99 honda CRV jeep,d check engine light is always n ever on, i used full tank for two days, that how worse it can be. plz plz plz i need help.
Guy scan the SUV first and post the result here. I advise you use a professional scanner for this so it can analyze everything that is wrong. Most of the handheld scanners will only give you the generic codes and never tell you basic things about the engine.

1 Like

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Jomodupri(m): 1:22pm On May 18, 2012
Thank you all for the wonderful contributions.

@etengokoi

I have changed the airflow meter before but which exhaust sensors were u refering to, O2 or what? However the scan indicated only P1491 and not O2 code. Please what do u think about this?

@Gulfer,

I've not checked the vaccum lines to the EGR valve at all. That will be my first assignment tomorrow morning.

@Stepedie

I'll check as advised.

Scanthecar,

Will be expecting the step by step diagnosis on this code as promised.

@Sultan

This has been done.

I'll check the vaccum lines tomorrow and will be back to give us update.

Counting on u guys for more advice.

This is really appreciated
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Aijara: 2:10pm On May 18, 2012
@ gulfer
thanks for the response, i will certainly do the dagnosis tomorow (sat) report back the result.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by gulfer: 2:17pm On May 18, 2012
jomodupri: Thank you all for the wonderful contributions.

@Gulfer,

I've not checked the vaccum lines to the EGR valve at all. That will be my first assignment tomorrow morning.

If you ask me, I'd say this should have been the number one step. It is always easy and rewarding working from bottom to up and not the other way round. Hope you kept some of the parts already changed out. Good luck once again finding a solution.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by yinchar(m): 2:32pm On May 18, 2012
P1491

SYMPTOM
P1491 - Radiator Fan Control Relay Circuit

POSSIBLE CAUSES
An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays. The manufacturer doesn't provide any further information regarding this code.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by scanthecar: 3:24pm On May 18, 2012
yinchar: P1491

SYMPTOM
P1491 - Radiator Fan Control Relay Circuit

POSSIBLE CAUSES
An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays. The manufacturer doesn't provide any further information regarding this code.

@yinchar, P1491 is a manufacturer specific code, and for Honda accord it is a malfunction in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Martini101(m): 3:29pm On May 18, 2012
Help! My Car just stopped on an expressway!
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by sisqology(m): 4:10pm On May 18, 2012
Have you tried another nozzle

1 Like

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by stepedie: 4:13pm On May 18, 2012
Which express are you

1 Like

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Martini101(m): 4:45pm On May 18, 2012
Accordin to a road side Mechanic, itz a distributor problem. I just got a place to park it. 2morow, i 'll get d required part and come and repair it. I hope it is solved!
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by pak: 4:59pm On May 18, 2012
For those with high fuel consumption issues or any other problem that requires scanning. If you stay around Abuja or Jos. I am willing to help scan your car for free (free as in speech and free as in beer ).

This is my own little way of contributing to the auto forum for the numerous assistance I've received from great guys like Ikenna, Sultan, Sienna and a host of others too numerous to mention

1 Like

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by elegungun: 5:12pm On May 18, 2012
Your location,so that we will help you push it
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by baaliyah(m): 6:52pm On May 18, 2012
@ Poster.
In addition to all those things i mentioned is the vacuum leakage. I am sure one or more of those things is the problem. I used to have 99 v6. I solved many problems with the help of people here. I also learnt a lot from foreign camry fora. If u check those things one after the other u will get the cuprit. ur CEL should be on. Good luck
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Ngutor(m): 7:29pm On May 18, 2012
@Gulfer
Guy scan the SUV first and post the result here. I adviseyou use a professional scanner for this so it can analyze everything that is wrong. Most of the handheldscanners will only give you the generic codes and nevertell you basic things about the engine.
Please how do I go about getting a profesional scanner. Cost will be appreciated
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by gulfer: 7:37pm On May 18, 2012
Ngutor: @Gulfer
Please how do I go about getting a profesional scanner. Cost will be appreciated
If you are i Lagos, contact 08062917365. A sample deep-scan result is below. I can be reached @hullhubs304@yahoo.co.uk

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by pdpiperpippen: 7:58pm On May 18, 2012
Mr moderator your ynash no get hole. grin
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Desanta(m): 8:59pm On May 18, 2012
please where can I get this hand held scanner to buy and the cost?
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by stepedie: 9:05pm On May 18, 2012
Have got it for sale and its going for #40k if you're interested.my digits are 08028290680

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by stepedie: 9:09pm On May 18, 2012
ba_aliyah: @ Poster.
In addition to all those things i mentioned is the vacuum leakage. I am sure one or more of those things is the problem. I used to have 99 v6. I solved many problems with the help of people here. I also learnt a lot from foreign camry fora. If u check those things one after the other u will get the cuprit. ur CEL should be on. Good luck
handheld scanners can also help like the one have got comes with a manual that gives an insight of Where the issue is and you could go online by just typing the code on google and it would give u explicitly what the code means but atleast the hand held scanner still helps out in a large extent too
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by skkutty: 11:05pm On May 18, 2012
Oh Boy your car definitely has a faul. Look for a good Autoworkshop with good diagnostic tools as advised and get it sorted out.
I use a 4Runner Jeep with 6 Cylinders. I Live in Mowe axis and travel to V/I everyday for work. ( a distance of 93km to and fro). My car consumes just 14 litres of fuel in a day.
Excellent fuel economy for an SUV
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Cachez(m): 1:48am On May 19, 2012
@ pak
How can someone locate you, especially in Abuja.Thanks
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by pak: 5:56pm On May 19, 2012
pak: For those with high fuel consumption issues or any other problem that requires scanning. If you stay around Abuja or Jos. I am willing to help scan your car for free (free as in speech and free as in beer ).

This is my own little way of contributing to the auto forum for the numerous assistance I've received from great guys like Ikenna, Sultan, Sienna and a host of others too numerous to mention

@Cachez
I work in Garki 2, not far from Apo Bridge.

You can drop a mail at ponpakap@gmail.com (though I hardly check the box !)

better still, if you leave a number , I'll try to buzz you
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by gulfer: 1:29pm On May 20, 2012
jomodupri: Thank you all for the wonderful contributions.

@etengokoi

I have changed the airflow meter before but which exhaust sensors were u refering to, O2 or what? However the scan indicated only P1491 and not O2 code. Please what do u think about this?

@Gulfer,

@Stepedie

I'll check as advised.

Scanthecar,

Will be expecting the step by step diagnosis on this code as promised.

@Sultan

This has been done.

Whats the update?
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by KA24DETT(m): 2:37pm On May 20, 2012
stepedie: Have got it for sale and its going for #40k if you're interested.my digits are 08028290680

This is WAY TOO OVERPRICED.. Are u serious for 40k when it goes on eBay for $50..
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by KA24DETT(m): 2:49pm On May 20, 2012
Lets start with the basicss... why dont u tell us what u notice when u drive the car. Slow pick up?? stalling?? Very bad smoke on first start up? lets start with these ones cus 20 liters on the average for a 20km drive (Egbeda to Ikeja Airport) is a very serious drop in fuel economy.. When we add it with the 02 scanner, we all can get a better idea..

I worked in an auto shop in canada and we rarely get cars with this bad mileage but when we do , we fix everything the OBD2 scan says and send it to the dealer to reflash the ECU if the problem has not gotten better..
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Cargoed: 5:11pm On May 20, 2012
This topic seams to be going out of context.

Anyway we have very good scanner for All cars from 1996 to today. It will also monitor the vehicle and tell you exactly how to fix it. Standard, Manufactured codes, including Body(imobilizer) and chasis (ABS & SRS) codes. Works and connects only with your Laptop to under the steering PRICE: N19K only free training provided.

ABUJA (Berger Area)
P.H
Lagos

Contact Mr Paul 0706 357 8028
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 20, 2012
Martini101: Help! My Car just stopped on an expressway!
pls push off the highway to avoid it being towed away by traffic officials
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by princedant: 11:42pm On May 20, 2012
Aijara: i need help vry vry badly regarding this fuel consumption, i drive a 98/99 honda CRV jeep,d check engine light is always n ever on, i used full tank for two days, that how worse it can be. plz plz plz i need help.

Bros, i have same car but in my case the check engine light is not on..i use full tank for like 5-6days in town. I have taken it for scan but they cant seem to locate where the OBD is..i've changed the Air flow meter and the air filter..it has reduced consumption to a level but i still think something is wrong. Some say i should not touch the injectors to avoid trial & error so what i do is to use injector cleaner whenever i fill up my tank.any other useful suggestion from NL's for me & my friend Aijaralj will be welcomed..thanks all.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by sultaan(m): 2:50am On May 21, 2012
If a mechanic can't find the OBD port, he should not be fixing cars.

In the US, mechanics have to be ASE certified which means they have to take courses in a technical college such as Collision, Drive-train, suspension. So when high school mechs try to tackle these faults with no proper training, its recipe for disaster.

I always recommend owners to know the basics, phy 101 &102 is good enough it starts by reading the owners manual.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Claracuzio: 6:22am On May 21, 2012
Ikenna351:

Lol!

Ikenna.

I think ur tank might be leaking

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.