Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar (8128 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji To Star In Chimamanda Adichie’s “half Of A Yellow Sun” Movie / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by mukina2: 2:59am On May 15, 2012
Thandie Newton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Anika Noni Rose and Joseph Mawle star alongside newcomer John Boyega from Attack The Block. Ealing Metro handles international sales.

Principal photography has begun in Calabar, Nigeria, on the adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Orange Prize-winning novel that follows the divergent paths of glamorous, highly educated sisters who get swept up in the Nigerian Civil War.

The cast of Half Of A Yellow Sun includes Nigerian household names Onyeka Onwenu, Genevieve Nnaji and veteran Zack Orji.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/shooting-underway-on-half-of-a-yellow-sun/5041774.article

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by odumchi: 4:18am On May 15, 2012
Let's wait before we make any conclusions regarding the film. However, knowing how reputable a person Adichie is, one can only expect first-rate work.

I wish her success so that the unheard voices and unseen terrors of the late sixties can be broadcasted to the world. Nne jisie ike.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by tpia5: 4:33am On May 15, 2012
is boyega supposed to be gboyega?

people cant pronounce the original name?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Nobody: 4:39am On May 15, 2012
I wonder what role Zack Orji will be playing in the movie. It had better not be Odenigbo. He is too soft spoken for that.
My guess for the cast are:
Chiwetel Ejiofor- Odenigbo or Madu
Thandie Newton- Olanna (though am secretly hoping she will not be Olanna. She is too old)
Noni Rose- Kainene
Genevieve- Miss Adebayo
and the white guy is obviously Richard.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by odumchi: 5:00am On May 15, 2012
tpia@:
is boyega supposed to be gboyega?

people cant pronounce the original name?

Maybe it's the same way that people can only pronounce Ibo instead of Igbo grin

But on a serious note, I think it might have been a typo.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by saemmanuel(m): 6:13am On May 15, 2012
That's nice
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by semid4lyfe(m): 6:25am On May 15, 2012
odumchi:

It's correct and not a typo. The name is actually BOYEGA.

He played the lead role of Moses in the 2011 British teen sci-fi action film Attack the Block. . .and he did v. well. It got him some award nominations also.

Meanwhile, make I quick go read the book so I can measure the film against it when it comes out.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by WhoIGoAsk: 6:37am On May 15, 2012
should be good
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by dejiswaggs(m): 6:40am On May 15, 2012
i can't fit wait to see this film ooohhh!!!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by igboboy1(m): 6:47am On May 15, 2012
odumchi:

on point
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by AustineE1: 7:00am On May 15, 2012
Ada di orah nma!i which you the best!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by semid4lyfe(m): 7:14am On May 15, 2012
odumchi: Let's wait before we make any conclusions regarding the film. However, knowing how reputable a person Adichie is, one can only expect first-rate work.

I wish her success so that the unheard voices and unseen terrors of the late sixties can be broadcasted to the world. Nne jisie ike.

At this point Chimamanda has little or nothing to do with the success or not of the movie.

She's sold the movie rights of the book and someone else (a screenwriter) has adapted it into a screenplay. It depends mostly on the Director & his crew and the cast now.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by eddytony(m): 7:16am On May 15, 2012
Until the movie is out............lol
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by JahMan1: 7:42am On May 15, 2012
The movie will be too emotional for me 2 watch.
I know how bad I felt reading the novel.
However,alot of romantic scene in there for whoever is gonna act Odenigbo vs Olanna.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by moxamet(m): 7:43am On May 15, 2012
Thandie Newton will obviously be cast as Olanna
Chiwetel Ejiorfor - Odenigbo
Genevieve/Anika Noni - Kainene/ miss Adebayo (hopefully)
Zack Orji - Olana's Dad
John Boyega - the Houseboy
White guy - White guy

wonder who will be Madu/ Mohamed / Harrison e.t.c it will be great opportunity to showcase Nollywood by using alot of local actors for ALL the other characters.

I'm reading the book in swedish now (Its still a best seller here!!).. hve'nt read it in english yet, don't know if it's the same feel.. but i hope the movie will be as good.

Goodluck!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by mbulela: 7:49am On May 15, 2012
there will be nothing special about the movie.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Pain(m): 7:57am On May 15, 2012
What Genre will the film fall in? Action or Romance? Or Romantic Action? Which One. tongue
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by vizion: 8:21am On May 15, 2012
semid4lyfe:

It's correct and not a typo. The name is actually BOYEGA.

He played the lead role of Moses in the 2011 British teen sci-fi action film Attack the Block. . .and he did v. well. It got him some award nominations also.

Meanwhile, make I quick go read the book so I can measure the film against it when it comes out.

In my experience, no film has ever measured up to half of the book.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Afam4eva(m): 8:25am On May 15, 2012
I'm waiting earnestly for this movie.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Esinwaju: 8:30am On May 15, 2012
vizion:

In my experience, not film has ever measured up to half of the book.
I concur!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by gbadexy(m): 9:24am On May 15, 2012
Seriously,i think the guy that wanted to start tribal confrontation does so because that is the way he gets off.why would anybody want to instigate attack on the person of the highly talented author loved and admired by all.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Joey82(m): 9:35am On May 15, 2012
methinks at the end of the day, the selling point of the movie will be determined by who plays ugwu's role and how well the person plays the character of ugwu.
all this concentration on who plays olana or odenigbo or kainene wont sell this movie so well.
get a funny character to interprete ugwu's role perfectly and that's all.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Nobody: 10:09am On May 15, 2012
I Live in New Zealand with my Husband(Nigerian) and our daughter and Read the Book!I Simply Love it!!cant wait for the movie to be released!smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by pcicero(m): 12:21pm On May 15, 2012
I did some background research for the movie and I can only pray that it turns out well. The Cross Rivers state government has been very supportive as well.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by LogicMind: 12:37pm On May 15, 2012
where can i download this book as there is no bookshop in my location.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Afam4eva(m): 1:13pm On May 15, 2012
pcicero: I did some background research for the movie and I can only pray that it turns out well. The Cross Rivers state government has been very supportive as well.
How exactly have they been supportive?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by somegirl1: 1:45pm On May 15, 2012
look forward
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 15, 2012
mbulela: there will be nothing special about the movie.
Really? Really? Really?
I don't phink you understand what being special is all about. One phing I know is its gonna be better than the current Nigerian movies

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by omar22(m): 3:51pm On May 15, 2012
Thank God it has nothing to do with Nollywood
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Movie Shooting Underway In Calabar by slimderek(m): 4:16pm On May 15, 2012
I wish someonre cud point me to a download link..
Such books are so hard to get over here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Parental Control -- The Mtv Show / My New 'short' Film / Movie Schedule For The Week At Genesis Cinemas ,gateway Mall,lugbe, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.