Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,016 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:31 AM

Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress (5713 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / African Weddings From All Over! / Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:10am On May 15, 2012
Why do Nigerians wear suits & gowns on their wedding day instead of their native dress?
Is that also part of any Nigerian culture?
Are Nigerians losing their culture through this act?
I asked a group of people this question & majority confessed that Nigerians are not supposed to copy the Englishman's culture of wearing suits & gowns at Church Wedding. They also stressed that Church wedding is the type of union that is done under Christianity. Christian laws does not made it mandatory for couples to wear suits & gowns. Moreso, the English way of suit & gown was introduced by the white men. So therefore, it's not compulsory to wear suits & gowns to Church Wedding.
But when I asked these same people what they are going to wear on their own day? Few said they don't know, others said suits & gowns because people go yab dem (lol, maybe they are scared of being special). Another group talk say 'wedding na women's day'. So therefore, the wife must be made happy by putting on wedding gown.
But honestly, I don't know why Nigerians don't wear their traditional attires at Church weddings...In Yorubaland, the couples dress traditionally to engagements (which they call traditional wedding) while many put on suits & gowns on their wedding day. Are they not Nigerian-Yorubas? They could have worn a native dress to their Church since there is no law stopping them from doing so.
Moderators, abeg move this thread to the frontpage. I want people's opinion on this matter.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Abagworo(m): 9:37am On May 15, 2012
I doubt if you live in Africa or you've actually visited Yorubaland. In Africa we have three types of marriage. The court marriage, the Church marriage and the traditional marriage. All can be skipped except the traditional marriage which is the most cherished. We wear African attires on our traditional marriage day and not suits and gowns.

If you and your partner go to court and Church alone for your wedding, people in your hometown will consider your marriage illegitimate but you can do the traditional alone and will be accepted.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:53am On May 15, 2012
@Abagworo, I m actually talking abt pple nt wearing natives @ Church weding. Read d 1st coment well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:17pm On May 15, 2012
first of all,[size=15pt] WHAT THE HELL ARE STU.PID AFRICANS DOING IN CHURCH WITH ALL THAT MAN-WORSHIP[/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by anonymous6(f): 12:25pm On May 15, 2012
Abagworo: I doubt if you live in Africa or you've actually visited Yorubaland. In Africa we have three types of marriage. The court marriage, the Church marriage and the traditional marriage. All can be skipped except the traditional marriage which is the most cherished. We wear African attires on our traditional marriage day and not suits and gowns.

If you and your partner go to court and Church alone for your wedding, people in your hometown will consider your marriage illegitimate but you can do the traditional alone and will be accepted.

Cosign 100%, I agree, you forgot introduction as well
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Afam4eva(m): 2:14pm On May 15, 2012
@OP
There are three kinds of marraige in Nigeria. They are White wedding(Church), Court wedding and Traditional Wedding. The White wedding originated from europe with Christianity being it's backbone, so, everything that's done has to be similar to the way it's done in europe.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Fulaman198(m): 4:44am On May 16, 2012
afam4eva: @OP
There are three kinds of marraige in Nigeria. They are White wedding(Church), Court wedding and Traditional Wedding. The White wedding originated from europe with Christianity being it's backbone, so, everything that's done has to be similar to the way it's done in europe.

The OPs question is why does it have to be the way white people in Europe did it?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:01am On May 16, 2012
@Afam4ever, so cos na oyinbo bring church wedding abi? I got ur point.

@Fulaman, I wonder why we must wear suits & gowns 2 our wedding o.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by ifyalways(f): 7:54pm On May 16, 2012
Afam interesting to hear that christianity is the backbone of "church /white weddings",any biblical backup?
@Topic,the whole idea is bullshit to me.from the white/church wedding concept itself,the dressing,the rituals performed down to the most ridiculous one;a pastor/priest,a stranger,opening his mouth wide to declare the couple man and woman. . .who gave him that authority

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Afam4eva(m): 7:57pm On May 16, 2012
ifyalways: Afam interesting to hear that christianity is the backbone of "church /white weddings",any biblical backup?
@Topic,the whole idea is bullshit to me.from the white/church wedding concept itself,the dressing,the rituals performed down to the most ridiculous one;a pastor/priest,a stranger,opening his mouth wide to declare the couple man and woman. . .who gave him that authority
Apart from the dressing which is not biblical, i guess every other thing suggests that it's a christian wedding considering the fact that it's done in a church and moderated by a pastor.

I for one don't like white weddings though i like the after party even though i don't attend. I prefer traditional wedding even though i may never get to do one. Na court wedding all the way. I can stand in front of hundreds of people abeg.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Abagworo(m): 11:08pm On May 16, 2012
afam4eva:
Apart from the dressing which is not biblical, i guess every other thing suggests that it's a christian wedding considering the fact that it's done in a church and moderated by a pastor.

I for one don't like white weddings though i like the after party even though i don't attend. I prefer traditional wedding even though i may never get to do one. Na court wedding all the way. I can stand in front of hundreds of people abeg.

Afam please mekwa dika ezi nwa Africa. Traditional is important.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:25am On May 17, 2012
afam4eva:
I prefer traditional wedding even though i may never get to do one. Na court wedding all the way.

why wont you get to do one
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Afam4eva(m): 3:42pm On May 17, 2012
Abagworo:

Afam please mekwa dika ezi nwa Africa. Traditional is important.

PAGAN 9JA:

why wont you get to do one
I know tradition is very important but i may not do it for some personal reasons. I hate crowds.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by ifyalways(f): 8:57pm On May 17, 2012
^but you can have a quiet one with just extended family members from both sides and one or two close friends in attendance or won't you pay bride price
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Afam4eva(m): 8:59pm On May 17, 2012
ifyalways: ^but you can have a quiet one with just extended family members from both sides and one or two close friends in attendance or won't you pay bride price
At the end of the day, it's what my fiancee wants that i'll do. I know ladies like ceremonies a great deal, so since it's a once in a life time thing, i may just summon courage and do it. But everyone should count me out of any wedding anniversary.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by ifyalways(f): 9:45pm On May 17, 2012
Afam you need to check out the trend especially with the celebrity weddings and take a cue from their hubbies who from every indication are crwod shy like you.
A good measure of kparaga(monkey tail flava),some good skunk and a dark big googles is all you need. cheesy
Come back and thnak me later.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:06am On May 18, 2012
@Ifyalways, u dy make sense jare. I dy feel u 4rm all angle. Mwah!

@Afam4eva y r u scared of crowd on ur traditional wedding? What if ur fiance want an elaborate 1. ll u deprive her of dat 1ce in a lifetime opp.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Fulaman198(m): 1:26am On May 18, 2012
You know am really fed up, many Africans are having too much inferiority complex these days, and it is not just us Nigerians it is East Africans as well. It needs to stop. We need to be proud of our tradition and stop trying to kiss outsiders nyash.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:58am On May 18, 2012
Fulaman198: You know am really fed up, many Africans are having too much inferiority complex these days, and it is not just us Nigerians it is East Africans as well. It needs to stop. We need to be proud of our tradition and stop trying to kiss outsiders nyash.

to be honest, im not just saying this because im one myself. but its the religion also. it gives us all this inferiority complex.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:01am On Jul 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

to be honest, im not just saying this because im one myself. but its the religion also. it gives us all this inferiority complex.
How?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by polokor60(m): 6:26am On Jul 16, 2012
ifyalways: Afam you need to check out the trend especially with the celebrity weddings and take a cue from their hubbies who from every indication are crwod shy like you.
A good measure of kparaga(monkey tail flava),some good skunk and a dark big googles is all you need. cheesy
Come back and thnak me later.
you be correct omo naija,i hail you wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:24am On Jul 17, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa:
How?

HOW? what do you mean how those are religions brainwashed upon us b those slave masters! and they dont make sense when compared to trad. religions. we should do away with them and throw em in the bin. THATS HOW!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:41am On Jul 18, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

HOW? what do you mean how those are religions brainwashed upon us b those slave masters! and they dont make sense when compared to trad. religions. we should do away with them and throw em in the bin. THATS HOW!
K. I got ur point nw

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by Padipadi(m): 10:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
Op, me sef no know o! Why must Africans/Nigerians wear Suits/Gowns to Church?
Infact, this thread needs to grace the frontpage.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by MrsChima(f): 10:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
I know and seen many Africans wear modern clothing at White weddings and native clothing at traditional weddings.

Why they do it? Because they can.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
I know and seen many Africans wear modern clothing at White weddings and native clothing at traditional weddings.

Why they do it? Because they can.
because dey can? Didnt get u. D issue here is; why do Africans/Nigerians dat r Christians alwez wear suits/gowns 2 church weddings instead of dr native dress. Church wedding s supposed 2 b diff 4rm d whiteman's wedding Biblically.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by adabeke12(f): 3:06am On Mar 12, 2013
woow great topic... we have a lot to learn
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by bokohalal(m): 3:34am On Mar 12, 2013
@ op. The dressing is another link in the chain of stewpeedeetee.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by tpia5: 3:58am On Mar 12, 2013
because they want to and its their day.

some of you seem to not understand the concept of boundaries, its not your business so why are you getting hyper?

for your own wedding, wear what you like.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by bokohalal(m): 6:09am On Mar 12, 2013
tpia@:
because they want to and its their day.

some of you seem to not understand the concept of boundaries, its not your business so why are you getting hyper?

for your own wedding, wear what you like.

Too simple. How many Nigerian weddings have you seen people wearing kimomos or Lapp(Sami) costume?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:05am On Mar 12, 2013
adabeke12: woow great topic... we have a lot to learn
yes dear. U can also share your view on dz issue.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress by sweetjuice(f): 10:35pm On Apr 29, 2013
Tot abt dat tin. Maybe its cos d whiteman invented dat wedding

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are Eastern Nigerians From Central Africa? / Itan Ilorin Laderin / Oso Owo Tabi Anabo Owo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.