Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets (8422 Views)

Accidental Discharge: IGP To Introduce Use Of Stun Guns / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections / Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by PHIPEX(m): 10:46am On May 15, 2012
Withdrawal of assault rifles
By Sun News Publishing
Tuesday, May 15 , 2012

Editorial Index

The plan by the authorities of the Nigeria Police to introduce the use of rubber bullets to fight crime and quell riots, as against the use of regular assault rifles to which its personnel are accustomed, is a welcome initiative. This will likely give the Police a liberal face, or at least, a token of positive image among the populace. It is also in line with what is obtainable in civilized societies where rubber bullets are used by police to fight civil disobedience.

Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, who dropped the hint recently during a meeting with representatives of Police commands in Calabar, Cross River State, explained that the plan was an integral part of the reform to reposition the police and make it people –friendly.

Besides, the police boss says that the measure is in conformity with world best practices. The plan, Abubakar disclosed, would take effect soon. Part of the plan, he stressed, would be to disarm potential criminals before they could carry out any criminal act.

He however stated that the measure would not mean the re-introduction of road blocks, noting that “road blocks are gone for good” in the country, while assuring that the police high command is interested in matters that will bring positive corporate image to the force. And the use of rubber bullets is one of such methods.

We applaud this plan. Indeed, the continued use of assault rifles, instead of rubber bullets, especially in cases of civil disorder and other non-criminal acts like street protests and demonstrations, has been an issue of public debate for a long time now.
Cases abound where policemen have turned assault weapons on innocent people, instead of criminals who they are supposed to apprehend.

For years, the police have been reportedly notorious for using assault rifles to extort money at checkpoints and for extra-judicial killings. This is in utter disregard for the rule of law and social justice.
Often times, these anomalies have defined the moments and actions of an average policeman in Nigeria. In some instances, these killings without trial, have been flimsily attributed to “accidental discharge.”

We want to believe that the introduction of rubber bullets will bring about a measure of sanity in the official conduct of the police personnel. The Nigeria Police is in dire need of decent men and women not a crop of trigger-happy cops that turn against defenceless citizens whom they are to protect. We, however, insist that the use of assault rifles against criminals such as terrorists and other militant groups that pose serious danger to society should continue.
This has become vital as our country is currently under serious threat by many insurgent groups such as Boko Haram. Therefore, the use of rubber bullets in such cases would amount to a grave error of judgment.

We suggest that as laudable as this plan might be, it should be subjected to thorough analysis before implementation to avoid a possible boomerang effect. The use of rubber bullets should not be one weapon for all battles. It will help a lot if a test – run of two different scenarios is carried out to determine the efficiency and effectiveness, or otherwise, of the use of rubber bullets in a crime situation. There is need for the police authorities to ensure that this new plan is not misused. Failure to adhere strictly to the aim of the use of rubber bullets would defeat the purpose.

Our constitution recognizes the right to life of every citizen and that right should not be deprived intentionally, save in execution of the sentence of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which the person has been found guilty by a competent court in the land.
The plan to introduce the use of rubber bullet to fight crime can go a long way to humanize the Police Force, temper the psyche of its rank and file and make them conform to basic civil temperament and norms in the discharge of their duties.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2012/may/15/editorial-15-05-2012-001.html

Is this a good decision in this times of Boko Haram?
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by begwong: 3:19pm On May 15, 2012
Atleast,accidental discharge will be reduced to the barest minimum!
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 15, 2012
Nice one, no more accidental discharge
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by KINGwax(m): 3:20pm On May 15, 2012
Nice move, but let's see it these ways,
1. Since i knw d police dnt have a real bullet, i can be ready for trouble anytime including resisting arrest.
2. If police dnt have, mayb the armed robbers will be more happy
3. As i police, knwin i dnt have a real bullet, i can fire at will to any part of a body. An effect which will be dizziness or being hospitalized.
4. Without real bullets, nigeria is doomed, and with real bullets too, we're dead! Either-way, we're finished

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by xavier3g(m): 3:27pm On May 15, 2012
KINGwax: Nice move, but let's see it these ways,
1. Since i knw d police dnt have a real bullet, i can be ready for trouble anytime including resisting arrest.
3. As i police, knwin i dnt have a real bullet, i can fire at will to any part of a body. An effect which will be dizziness or being hospitalized.
4. Without real bullets, nigeria is doomed, and with real bullets too, we're dead! Either-way, we're finished
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:28pm On May 15, 2012
MD Abubakar is really reaching deep at that Police Budget for 2012 grin grin anyway it has been the norm to use rubber-bullets in civil disorders.
Not to discount MD's initiative, he should encourage stronger/relevant Police EDUCATION and Training especially in Social Situations since 90% of teh time they spend with civilians in need of a spanking

Rubber bullets are just as dangerous especially at close proximity (within 7 meters) they can kill instantly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by sizzlers(m): 3:28pm On May 15, 2012
can somebody tell me the penetration power?
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by amosy007: 3:32pm On May 15, 2012
rubber bullets can hurt badly but it wnt kill u.. Thats d drill...

Read more on rubber bullet
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by hakanai(m): 3:34pm On May 15, 2012
How about standard side arms and teasers or stunt guns.Then training the police to distinguish between deadly force and normal force to restrain.Also in there vehicle riot gears and an automatic rifle for more power.
We have militants and Boko-haram who are masters in there own violent domains, with fire arms matching the military caliber in small arms.That said how does the police intend to engage a GPMG or Ak47 blasting target wearing bullet proof vest?Which is typical scenario of attacks by MEND or BH
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by uniQybabs(m): 3:34pm On May 15, 2012
Good news for BH. God have mercy on us.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by gulfer: 3:35pm On May 15, 2012
PHIPEX: Withdrawal of assault rifles
By Sun News Publishing
Tuesday, May 15 , 2012

Editorial Index

The plan by the authorities of the Nigeria Police to introduce the use of rubber bullets to fight crime and quell riots, as against the use of regular assault rifles to which its personnel are accustomed, is a welcome initiative. This will likely give the Police a liberal face, or at least, a token of positive image among the populace. It is also in line with what is obtainable in civilized societies where rubber bullets are used by police to fight civil disobedience.

Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, who dropped the hint recently during a meeting with representatives of Police commands in Calabar, Cross River State, explained that the plan was an integral part of the reform to reposition the police and make it people –friendly.

Besides, the police boss says that the measure is in conformity with world best practices. The plan, Abubakar disclosed, would take effect soon. Part of the plan, he stressed, would be to disarm potential criminals before they could carry out any criminal act.

He however stated that the measure would not mean the re-introduction of road blocks, noting that “road blocks are gone for good” in the country, while assuring that the police high command is interested in matters that will bring positive corporate image to the force. And the use of rubber bullets is one of such methods.

We applaud this plan. Indeed, the continued use of assault rifles, instead of rubber bullets, especially in cases of civil disorder and other non-criminal acts like street protests and demonstrations, has been an issue of public debate for a long time now.
Cases abound where policemen have turned assault weapons on innocent people, instead of criminals who they are supposed to apprehend.

For years, the police have been reportedly notorious for using assault rifles to extort money at checkpoints and for extra-judicial killings. This is in utter disregard for the rule of law and social justice.
Often times, these anomalies have defined the moments and actions of an average policeman in Nigeria. In some instances, these killings without trial, have been flimsily attributed to “accidental discharge.”

We want to believe that the introduction of rubber bullets will bring about a measure of sanity in the official conduct of the police personnel. The Nigeria Police is in dire need of decent men and women not a crop of trigger-happy cops that turn against defenceless citizens whom they are to protect. We, however, insist that the use of assault rifles against criminals such as terrorists and other militant groups that pose serious danger to society should continue.
This has become vital as our country is currently under serious threat by many insurgent groups such as Boko Haram. Therefore, the use of rubber bullets in such cases would amount to a grave error of judgment.

We suggest that as laudable as this plan might be, it should be subjected to thorough analysis before implementation to avoid a possible boomerang effect. The use of rubber bullets should not be one weapon for all battles. It will help a lot if a test – run of two different scenarios is carried out to determine the efficiency and effectiveness, or otherwise, of the use of rubber bullets in a crime situation. There is need for the police authorities to ensure that this new plan is not misused. Failure to adhere strictly to the aim of the use of rubber bullets would defeat the purpose.

Our constitution recognizes the right to life of every citizen and that right should not be deprived intentionally, save in execution of the sentence of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which the person has been found guilty by a competent court in the land.
The plan to introduce the use of rubber bullet to fight crime can go a long way to humanize the Police Force, temper the psyche of its rank and file and make them conform to basic civil temperament and norms in the discharge of their duties.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2012/may/15/editorial-15-05-2012-001.html

Is this a good decision in this times of Boko Haram?
They should remember that Robbers, Kidnappers, Boko Harammers have not dropped their assault weapons. This change in firearms should only apply to Policemen within City patrols; it should actually be Batons and not bullets for them while the anti crime should retain their weapons-they should actually be upgraded.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by OAM4J: 3:36pm On May 15, 2012
Very good move. I like this new police IG.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by KINGwax(m): 3:41pm On May 15, 2012
amosy007:

i'm not sayin it'll kill, it's jst like wearing a bullet proof and gettin shot. Have u ever heard of 'trauma'? Gettin shot once is nice, but gettin shot sporadically and by a sad police is a matter of hospital for anyone.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by amosy007: 3:47pm On May 15, 2012
KINGwax: i'm not sayin it'll kill, it's jst like wearing a bullet proof and gettin shot. Have u ever heard of 'trauma'? Gettin shot once is nice, but gettin shot sporadically and by a sad police is a matter of hospital for anyone.
yeah i got now :8 smiley
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by malc619(m): 3:49pm On May 15, 2012
Nice move. Please do whatever you can to reform and upgrade our Police Officers
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Afam4eva(m): 3:49pm On May 15, 2012
This is a great news. No police man will be able to intimidate me without hearing from me. But come ooo, what exactly does this rubber bullet do to someone when fired.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by dabrake(m): 3:56pm On May 15, 2012
amosy007:

oga, rubber bullet go kill person jooh. no be 9ja hospital dem go carry you go?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Arosa(m): 3:59pm On May 15, 2012

The implication of this new development is that: by default armed robbers will also use rubber bullets.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Arosa(m): 4:00pm On May 15, 2012
dabrake:

Very sad indeed.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by gbadexy(m): 4:00pm On May 15, 2012
I read a foreing article on rubber bullets,they are metal coted with thin rubber.they showed a pics of a boy killed with the rubber bullet with stone still in the boy's hand.
police wont hesitate shooting at slight provocation with the believe that they are shooting rubber.
the rubber bullet shot to a delicate part is fatal
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by akereconfi: 4:02pm On May 15, 2012
Imagine if d Police wf Rubber Bullet accidentally run into a group like dz @ Pix n d group knws dt these Police are armed wf Rubber Bullet. Chaos, Disaster, Calamity, Hazard.
Poor Policemen.
As if d ones guarding d IG will carry rubber bullet....mtchewwwww

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by mankand(m): 4:03pm On May 15, 2012
We do not need rubber or wooden bullets in Nigerian Police Force, we need Mass Exodus in Nigerian Police, secondly bring in fresh minds with IQ test before employing.

Send some abroad for secret intelligence course, with this, we can crack down crime a little in Nigeria, but introduction of some fucking bla bla bla is insane to Jona and IGP. This Boko haram will see them as Suya.

Fucking country, only devicing ways of stealing money

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Afam4eva(m): 4:03pm On May 15, 2012
dabrake:
At least the chances are very slim.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Arosa(m): 4:06pm On May 15, 2012
I must say the proposed introduction of rubber bullets is a very good idea.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 15, 2012

[size=18pt]cant stop laughin @ this comment [/size]
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by andrewza: 4:56pm On May 15, 2012
I believe the rubber bullets get pulled out during the riots. And fired at close range directly at a vital point(head for example) it will kill. But for close range you got the bean bag round.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by stillme(m): 5:13pm On May 15, 2012

grin

;d
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Walexz02(m): 5:13pm On May 15, 2012
9ce post grin but i think ds will make d police shoot anyhow o
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Eltonluigi(m): 6:26pm On May 15, 2012
FÛCK THE POLICE!!!
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Odukes(m): 6:49pm On May 15, 2012
Rubber bullet ke, make they no try am at all oh!! other-wise we are finished. I seriously think this is a fraudulent plan to make money from contracts. The answer to police brutally and killing is simply.
A- Training and retraining
B- Punish & deliver Justice wen they err.
Naija, wey even small pikin de craze, na im you wan introduce rubber bullet. BH & Armed robbers go just use us do kilishi+Suya.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by Gwazah(m): 7:01pm On May 15, 2012
Dis IGP is a politician tryin 2 gain popularity, he tasted de new camo uniform let him tast his guardin squard wit ruba bullet too. I know senators must second 2 dis, but u can not tak dis 2 guid them, i kno he is talkin of riots but i hav bein in civil protest were someboys came wit their dead wepons, check dis out police are controling protesters of a suden group of arm men arrive nd they ar against both civilian nd de police wat is de solution? Ruba bullet can takle dat sorri! Nija is not lik USA whic we ar tryin 2 copy pls, is very hard u c US sodier in their city becos police ar wel equipt but we ar livin wit terrorist on de same bed so how can our case be de same? God giv dis gold digger (IGP)sence of belongin.
Re: Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets by OXYZ: 7:06pm On May 15, 2012
Abubakar has refused to address the challenges facing Nigerian Police.The inherent corruption in the force has change form,it has now moved from the check point to the police station where they collect huge amount of money for bail and other matters.

The introduction of rubber bullet wil achieve close to nothing in the fight against crime.More emphasis should be laid on their professional training and welfare
Abubakar should work on the intelligent gathering department of the force.This department of the force has nothing to write home about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill / We’ve Not Received Court Papers On New Party –INEC / Ekiti Assembly Approves Fayose’s N19.6bn Loan Request

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.