Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo (1850 Views)

Contacts Of Nollywood Cast(actors/actresses) And Crew / "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Is Like "Gone With The Wind" - Thandie Newton / Newton Aduaka Can Make It To The Oscars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by anonymous6(f): 6:59pm On May 15, 2012
[b]"I confess that I have never been able to finish Chimamanda Adichie’s second novel, “Half of a Yellow Sun,” set during the Biafran War in the late 1960s. (Btw, it won high praise from mainstream Western critics. See here, here and here.) By the time I finally do finish it, the film version will probably be in theaters. The Nigerian-British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor (highlights: Dirty Pretty Things and Inside Man) has already agreed to star in the film adaptation, alongside with Dominic Cooper (Captain America). This week Screen Daily reported that Zimbabwean-Brit actress Thandi Newton (credits: Crash, Mission Impossible) will be a female lead. Not everyone is happy with the choice of Newton as a female lead. There’s already a strange online petition to have Newton replaced with a Nigerian actress. The petition notes, among others, that “… Igbo people do not look like the bi-racial Thandie Newton.” You can read similar comments on posts about Newton’s casting at the popular film blog Shadow and Act here and here.

* Btw, separate from casting issues, the previous credits of the two producers of “Half of a Yellow Sun” include “The Last King of Scotland” and “The Constant Gardener,” both films noted for their problematic treatments of African subjects. As for Ejiofor, he has played Africans on screen before. In “Dirty Pretty Things” he was excellent as an African migrant caught up in the goings on at a seedy London hotel, while in the not-so-good “Red Dust“ he played an activist appearing before South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission. He has also played Thabo Mbeki in the made-for-TV movie “Endgame.”[/b]
http://africasacountry.com/2012/01/27/half-of-a-yellow-sun/

Thandie Newton
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by babyboy3(m): 11:38pm On May 15, 2012
People make loads of fuss about nothing didnt Sophie Okenedo play in Hotel Rwanda the last time I checked that she is not a Hutu or Tusti, Kerry Washington in Last King of Scotland she's american... at the end of the day he who blows the piper controls the tune. The funding of the film is not coming from Nigeria and the cinema viewers are mostly Americans, thats why the want PROFESSIONALS
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by anonymous6(f): 12:54pm On May 16, 2012
baby-boy:
People make loads of fuss about nothing didnt Sophie Okenedo play in Hotel Rwanda the last time I checked that she is not a Hutu or Tusti, Kerry Washington in Last King of Scotland she's american... at the end of the day he who blows the piper controls the tune. The funding of the film is not coming from Nigeria and the cinema viewers are mostly Americans, thats why the want PROFESSIONALS

That's where it boils down to really, this movie no matter what will be a Hollywood movie, nobody from Nollwyood is funding it what so ever so nobody should complain. This is what Hollywood always does, that is the sad truth
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by yoji: 6:05am On May 17, 2012
Many subject matters in history like world war 1 and 2 have multiple movies made with respect to them so anybody unhappy wit d castin should simply get out his money and shoot his own version! Its not as if its d nigerian govt or UN that is fundin it. Let's stop this hypocrisy, I know many ibo girls that are fairer than thandie abi una neva enta zenith bank? Come to think of it isn't it y they are called actors/actresses?
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by anonymous6(f): 5:52pm On May 17, 2012
yoji: Many subject matters in history like world war 1 and 2 have multiple movies made with respect to them so anybody unhappy wit d castin should simply get out his money and shoot his own version! Its not as if its d nigerian govt or UN that is fundin it. Let's stop this hypocrisy, I know many ibo girls that are fairer than thandie abi una neva enta zenith bank? Come to think of it isn't it y they are called actors/actresses?

cosign, lol
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 25, 2012
With a GRADE A actress like Thandie you would think people would be grateful she would use her "celebrity status" to make the story of Biafra known to the world.

1 Like

Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by tpia5: 5:57pm On May 26, 2012
i think the world knew of biafra long before she was born.

just saying.

the war ended in 1970.
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by semid4lyfe(m): 6:50am On May 30, 2012
Re: Thandie Newton Cast In Biafran Movie; Some Opposed: She's Biracial And Not Igbo by anonymous6(f): 5:29am On Jul 07, 2012
semid4lyfe: Same comment at link below. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/938087/chimamanda-adichie-half-yellow-sun/1#10957866

interesting

(1) (Reply)

Professor Johnbull TV Series (video Links) / Watch The Boss Baby (2017) Full Movie [hd-720p] / Facts About Nollywood Actress Helen Enado Odigie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.